• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I have a full list for the Smash Bros "Nindie" pack idea, combining both ideas from Wade and I:

New Challenger: Shantae

New Stage: Scuttle Town

Music (Scuttle Town) :
-Dance through the Danger
-Burning Town (GBC)
-Burning Town (Pirate's Curse)
-Boss Theme (Pirate's Curse)
-She's got moves (Risky's Revenge)
-Mermaid Water Falls (Half-Genie Hero)
-Desert Sandstorm (Half-Genie Hero)

Music (Misc, used for custom stages or Miiverse) :
-Strike the earth! (Shovel Knight)
-Forest del Chivo (Guacamelee)
-Impetus (Bit.Trip. Runner)
-Plantation/Main Theme (Cave Story)
-Main Theme (Steamworld Dig)
-World 1-1 (Mutant Mudds)

Masterpiece: Shantae (GBC)

Mii Fighter costumes:

Swordfighters: Rusty (Steamworld Dig) and Shovel Knight.

Brawlers: Commander Video (BIT.TRIP) and Juan Aguacate (Guacamelee)

Gunners: Max (Mutant Mudds) and Quote (Cave Story)

Every character gets a trophy (except Commander Video, he already has one.)

Is it possible for anyone here to make a visual version of this list, possibly in photoshop or GIMP, to give it more exposure? I already tried, and it came out pretty awful.

Edit: we're on the verge of 100 pages, guys.

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I have a full list for the Smash Bros "Nindie" pack idea, combining both ideas from Wade and I:

New Challenger: Shantae

New Stage: Scuttle Town

Music (Scuttle Town) :
-Dance through the Danger
-Burning Town (GBC)
-Burning Town (Pirate's Curse)
-Boss Theme (Pirate's Curse)
-She's got moves (Risky's Revenge)
-Mermaid Water Falls (Half-Genie Hero)
-Desert Sandstorm (Half-Genie Hero)

Music (Misc, used for custom stages or Miiverse) :
-Strike the earth! (Shovel Knight)
-Forest del Chivo (Guacamelee)
-Impetus (Bit.Trip. Runner)
-Plantation/Main Theme (Cave Story)
-Main Theme (Steamworld Dig)
-World 1-1 (Mutant Mudds)

Masterpiece: Shantae (GBC)

Mii Fighter costumes:

Swordfighters: Rusty (Steamworld Dig) and Shovel Knight.

Brawlers: Commander Video (BIT.TRIP) and Juan Aguacate (Guacamelee)

Gunners: Max (Mutant Mudds) and Quote (Cave Story)

Every character gets a trophy (except Commander Video, he already has one.)

Is it possible for anyone here to make a visual version of this list, possibly in photoshop or GIMP, to give it more exposure? I already tried, and it came out pretty awful.

Edit: we're on the verge of 100 pages, guys.
Ok, now I'm serious. Is there a way we can email this to Sakurai? Like... RIGHT NOW!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I def say share that idea to sakurai if you can. Its great! Also by the straw poll shantae is doing pretty good.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I will always love this dialogue chain from the Pirate's Curse demo.

This ship has set sail

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I actually have a question. On the first page it said Shantae would be in the slower side. But personally I think she would be pretty fast. Not sonic fast but fast enough to make sense. She is very light so I think her speed should increase. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I actually have a question. On the first page it said Shantae would be in the slower side. But personally I think she would be pretty fast. Not sonic fast but fast enough to make sense. She is very light so I think her speed should increase. What do you guys think?
In the games, she is a somewhat slow character, in terms of running speed. I think she could be at least as fast as Dr. Mario or Mega Man.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
In the games, she is a somewhat slow character, in terms of running speed. I think she could be at least as fast as Dr. Mario or Mega Man.
Oh... Ok. I was personally thinking more along the lines of Wii Fit Trainer. I think making her slow AND light would hinder her from becoming a good character. Unless Sakurai can make something like that work.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
This is something all demos should do.
The "Shantae Advance" demo is also hilarious. If you talk to Bolo, Shantae complains about how the music is annoying and doesn't fit with the area she's in, only for Bolo to say that it's only placeholder stuff.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The "Shantae Advance" demo is also hilarious. If you talk to Bolo, Shantae complains about how the music is annoying and doesn't fit with the area she's in, only for Bolo to say that it's only placeholder stuff.
Breaking the 4th Wall is the greatest thing ever invented

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We should just type stuff in until we make it to 100.
#Shantae4Smash
#Shantae&Pit
#ShantaeBestFemale

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Not to start anything, but out of all the characters currently in the top 10-15 in the ballot... Am I the only one who thinks that Banjo & Kazooie will have the lowest chances, even if they're high on the ballot? DLC or not, If you take the nostalgia and novelty away, it seems like a decision that could potentially backfire on Nintendo's end!

Most people buy the DLC in a pack, mainly because of the collector's mentality that Super Smash Bros tends to give players, with the characters, stages, and trophies, and a lot of those people may not know or care about the bear and bird at all, unless they've played their games before.

Speaking of which, one of the great things about Super Smash Bros is discovering and playing games you've never heard about, and if you've never heard of Banjo-Kazooie before and wanted to play it... You're kind of stuck. There's no Virtual Console release, so that's out of the question, same if you don't have a Nintendo 64, and I don't think you'd want to spend hundreds on an N64 and one game. So the only way you can play it is either owning an Xbox 360 or One, which ultimately backfires on Nintendo, or worse: emulating, which backfires on Nintendo and Microsoft!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not to start anything, but out of all the characters currently in the top 10-15 in the ballot... Am I the only one who thinks that Banjo & Kazooie will have the lowest chances, even if they're high on the ballot? DLC or not, If you take the nostalgia and novelty away, it seems like a decision that could potentially backfire on Nintendo's end!

Most people buy the DLC in a pack, mainly because of the collector's mentality that Super Smash Bros tends to give players, with the characters, stages, and trophies, and a lot of those people may not know or care about the bear and bird at all, unless they've played their games before.

Speaking of which, one of the great things about Super Smash Bros is discovering and playing games you've never heard about, and if you've never heard of Banjo-Kazooie before and wanted to play it... You're kind of stuck. There's no Virtual Console release, so that's out of the question, same if you don't have a Nintendo 64. So the only way you can play it is either owning an Xbox 360 or One, which ultimately backfires on Nintendo, or worse: emulating, which backfires on Nintendo and Microsoft!
Microsoft actually wants Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. Maybe Nintendo can pit the first 2 on Virtual Console with Microsoft's permission, and vice versa with them getting into Smash. They don't even have problems with eachother, that's Sony and Microsoft(used to be Nintendo and Sony but that changed).

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Microsoft actually wants Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. Maybe Nintendo can pit the first 2 on Virtual Console with Microsoft's permission, and vice versa with them getting into Smash. They don't even have problems with eachother, that's Sony and Microsoft(used to be Nintendo and Sony but that changed).

Little reminder that these two also want to be in Smash, despite having no real relationship with Nintendo, and will most likely never happen.

I'm fine with Shantae, Shovel Knight, the other indies, Solid Snake, Rayman, and the like because they actually have games you can easily play on Nintendo platforms!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Little reminder that these two also want to be in Smash, despite having no real relationship with Nintendo, and will most likely never happen.

I'm fine with Shantae, Shovel Knight, the other indies, Solid Snake, Rayman, and the like because they actually have games you can easily play on Nintendo platforms!
First one never heard of before in my life, and Meat Boy has no chance. Goku and the Ninja Tutles have more if a chance than them

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

While those two have NO relationship whatsoever with Nintendo, Banjo & Kazooie, despite the company that currently holds them, "did" have one with Nintendo a long time ago, and were a big player in one of their older consoles..

Sometimes I feel like people forget that fact, and play off the two as "just more Microsoft trash", despite the fact that they DID have a relationship with Nintendo a long time ago, and DID play a big part...

Lets face it. Every B&K fan, when they think of the series, don't think of that lousy title that was on the Xbox 360. They think of the two masterpieces that were on the "Nintendo" 64. Banjo & Kazooie, and Banjo Tooie...

They did have a relationship with Nintendo, and for many fans, this is where their legacy still rests.. despite where their IP is currently held...

I do understand everyone's hate for Microsoft. I seriously do, as I hate the fact they own them myself...

But that doesn't change the fact that these two DID start with Nintendo. Rare was originally partnered with them... (Heck they made THE ORIGINAL DONKEY KONG COUNTRY titles for crying out loud!)

The point is, sometimes I feel like that some people forget the legacy of these two, and just blow them off as "some other 3rd party junk being plastered by Microsoft", just because their company just so happens to be owned by them...

And to me, that is absolutely sad...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
While those two have NO relationship whatsoever with Nintendo, Banjo & Kazooie, despite the company that currently holds them, "did" have one with Nintendo a long time ago, and were a big player in one of their older consoles..

Sometimes I feel like people forget that fact, and play off the two as "just more Microsoft trash", despite the fact that they DID have a relationship with Nintendo a long time ago, and DID play a big part...

Lets face it. Every B&K fan, when they think of the series, don't think of that lousy title that was on the Xbox 360. They think of the two masterpieces that were on the "Nintendo" 64. Banjo & Kazooie, and Banjo Tooie...

They did have a relationship with Nintendo, and for many fans, this is where their legacy still rests.. despite where their IP is currently held...

I do understand everyone's hate for Microsoft. I seriously do, as I hate the fact they own them myself...

But that doesn't change the fact that these two DID start with Nintendo. Rare was originally partnered with them... (Heck they made THE ORIGINAL DONKEY KONG COUNTRY titles for crying out loud!)

The point is, sometimes I feel like that some people forget the legacy of these two, and just blow them off as "some other 3rd party junk being plastered by Microsoft", just because their company just so happens to be owned by them...

And to me, that is absolutely sad...
I would have a problem with Microsoft owning Rare, and continue to think that Rare has gone downhill, production-wise, and then this was revealed for Killer Instinct a few days ago.

I may just buy an Xbox One now.

It's only now that I see the detail on Shantae's "holiday" outfit, with the mistletoe, ornament earrings, and the wool replacing her... hip rings? I don't know what they are.

I'd be so happy if Shantae's costume changed to that if you played Half-Genie Hero on Christmas day. :)

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I would have a problem with Microsoft owning Rare, and continue to think that Rare has gone downhill, production-wise, and then this was revealed for Killer Instinct a few days ago.

I may just buy an Xbox One now.
The best part is, Rash won't be the only guest character. I'm hoping for Conker, even though he would look incredibly out of place.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I love Rash's 4th-wall demolishing victory line.

To everyone who hasn't seen this yet: That is what he actually says.
I have a feeling with the cameo in Shovel Knight, Rare Replay, and now Killer Instinct, I think Battletoads are going to be making a comeback.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
You know, I've been thinking. Even after the ballot characters have been announced, Shantae still has a shot at getting in. As long as WayForward and fans keep supporting her after the fact, Sakurai is bound to notice us. So even if she doesn't get chosen from the ballot, if we keep supporting her Sakurai might consider her. After all, it's going to be YEARS until Smash 5 so they can put in as much DLC as they want. Of course, this is all just wishful thinking and this may not happen at all.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
You know, I've been thinking. Even after the ballot characters have been announced, Shantae still has a shot at getting in. As long as WayForward and fans keep supporting her after the fact, Sakurai is bound to notice us. So even if she doesn't get chosen from the ballot, if we keep supporting her Sakurai might consider her. After all, it's going to be YEARS until Smash 5 so they can put in as much DLC as they want. Of course, this is all just wishful thinking and this may not happen at all.
It is a good point, with all the support Shantae has been getting within the ballot she can always have a chance in Smash 5 since the ballot is a suggestion box after all she's bound to be noticed by Sakurai and added down the line, also when Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's cut is released in Japan we'll possibly gain more supporters.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Notice her, Sakurai-senpai!

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It is a good point, with all the support Shantae has been getting within the ballot she can always have a chance in Smash 5 since the ballot is a suggestion box after all she's bound to be noticed by Sakurai and added down the line when Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's cut is released in Japan we'll possibly gain more supporters.
I do hope Sakurai notices her relatively soon, though. Her getting in Smash 4 would be for the better.

Top Bottom