• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So I guess I could give this a go, although I'm sure plenty of people here have had similar ideas. But I'm trying to see if it can all fit together as a coherent moveset, so let's go~

(And yes I shamelessly waited for the end of the page to happen so I could headline the next :estatic: )

If I had a choice of how to outline Shantae's moveset, I would probably put anything transformation related into her Smashes, ala Risky's Revenge's final boss, where evil Shantae did a dance before attacking without any delay. Shantae could have smashes designated like so:

- FSmash: Monkey: A hard hitting, forward dashing assault.
- DSmash: Elephant: A ground stomp that hits nearby foes.
- USmash: Harpy: Some kind of upwards, tear-into-you charge.

And what would be really cool, is that by charging the smash, the animation she uses to charge that smash would be the appropriate belly dance! I bet that would look really cool, for sure.

As far as those special attacking techniques you could get in the GBC version, I would probably allocate them like so:
Cuff: SideB (can be charged for massive damage)
Tiara: SideB (of course, you can jump during Cuff, and this is what you get!)
Boot: Uair
Sash: Dair

And for Pirate's Curse weapons, I would probably only include the following:
Risky's Cannon: UpB (three uses, of course. It shouldn't put her in special fall until the third use but it should lock her out of her other specials after the first, unless she gets hit of course)
Risky's Boots/Scimitar: Dash Attack
Side Kick: Ftilt

For her other two specials, I would probably go with:
Genie Lamp: DownB (can draw in nearby items and projectiles, similar to Rosalina's Grav. Pull, but only for as long as the button is held)
Fireball: B (I would say a tap of the button gives her a single straight shot fireball, while holding it can give her the spreading triple shot Spitfire, where each individual fireball does less damage but is possible to hit the opponent with multiple fireballs if at close range)

For the remaining moves, Jab, Dtilt, Utilt, and Fair, I would say hair whip attacks in the appropriate direction. Nair would be a cool looking hair twirling attack (similar to Tiara). And Bair would be a hip bash, like Peach's. It would make sense for Shantae to have a move like that.

Not sure about Final Smash, but pretty much anything I or anyone could come up with would be acceptable.

So this is what my moveset for Shantae would look like:
Jab: Hair Whip
Ftilt: Side Kick
Utilt: Hair Whip
Dtilt: Hair Whip
Dash Attack: Risky's Boots/Scimitar
Fsmash: Monkey's Charge
Usmash: Harpy's Slash
Dsmash: Elephant's Stomp
Nair: Hair Twirl
Fair: Hair Whip
Bair: Hip Attack
Uair: Boot
Dair: Sash
B: Fireball/Spitfire
SideB: Cuff/Tiara
UpB: Risky's Cannon
DownB: Genie Lamp

Pretty sweet, eh?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think Shantae x Samus or Link could be a thing. Not for a ship, but for cute situations where Shantae looks up to them and considers them her idols, as the series was inspired by Legend of Zelda and Metroid.
I could see that happening, I could also see that with Mega Man as well for various reasons……which reminds me of a joke ship I had with my friends at my gaming club, some of us were talking about Shantae in Smash and I brought up that I think Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force should be her assist trophy, we looked up the other assists, and I joked about the idea for Patricia X Elec Man

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I could see that happening, I could also see that with Mega Man as well for various reasons……which reminds me of a joke ship I had with my friends at my gaming club, some of us were talking about Shantae in Smash and I brought up that I think Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force should be her assist trophy, we looked up the other assists, and I joked about the idea for Patricia X Elec Man
I think a dramatic moment involving Capcom publishing the first game would be kind of funny between Mega Man and Shantae. Possibly Ryu, too.

So I guess I could give this a go, although I'm sure plenty of people here have had similar ideas. But I'm trying to see if it can all fit together as a coherent moveset, so let's go~

(And yes I shamelessly waited for the end of the page to happen so I could headline the next :estatic: )

If I had a choice of how to outline Shantae's moveset, I would probably put anything transformation related into her Smashes, ala Risky's Revenge's final boss, where evil Shantae did a dance before attacking without any delay. Shantae could have smashes designated like so:

And what would be really cool, is that by charging the smash, the animation she uses to charge that smash would be the appropriate belly dance! I bet that would look really cool, for sure.

As far as those special attacking techniques you could get in the GBC version, I would probably allocate them like so:

Risky's Cannon: UpB (three uses, of course. It shouldn't put her in special fall until the third use but it should lock her out of her other specials after the first, unless she gets hit of course)
Risky's Scimitar: Dash Attack

Genie Lamp: DownB (can draw in nearby items and projectiles, similar to Rosalina's Grav. Pull, but only for as long as the button is held)
Fireball: B (I would say a tap of the button gives her a single straight shot fireball, while holding it can give her the spreading triple shot Spitfire, at the expense of a bit more endlag)

For the remaining moves, Jab, Dtilt, Utilt, and Fair, I would say hair whip attacks in the appropriate direction. Nair would be a cool looking hair twirling attack (similar to Tiara). And Bair would be a hip bash, like Peach's. It would make sense for Shantae to have a move like that.

Not sure about Final Smash, but pretty much anything I or anyone could come up with would be acceptable.

Dash Attack: Risky's Scimitar

Pretty sweet, eh?
Pretty great. I can see that working, especially the dances being charging animations.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Risky's Scimitar: Dash Attack

Fireball: B (I would say a tap of the button gives her a single straight shot fireball, while holding it can give her the spreading triple shot Spitfire, at the expense of a bit more endlag)

Dash Attack: Risky's Scimitar

Pretty sweet, eh?
Pretty good for what you have so have so far, my moveset is over on page 87 of this thread if you need some ideas filling out the rest of yours

GP2

Smash Apprentice
We're currently the 11th biggest new DLC character thread on smashboards(in terms of replies and views IDK about supporters)

The list goes

1. Ridley
2. King. K-rool
3. Bandana Dee
4. Issac
5. Rayman
6. Krystal
7. Solid Snake
8. Wolf
9. Daisy
10. Chrom
11. SHANTAE!!!!!

I assume that any character that got a mii fighter costume or is already in the game in some way will not be considered. Altough I can't be certain but if that's the case the list goes...

1. Bandana Dee
2. Isaac
3. Rayman
4. Krystal
5. Solid Snake
6. Wolf
7. Daisy
8. SHANTAE

Let's keep up the support guys!!!!

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Wait Hold One! Did i Saw Someone Here Say Pit X Shantae or Was it just Me.
yeah it seems a lot of people here are saying it. I never thought about it but it sounds like it would work........................or perhaps she will like dark pit because he is the cool brooding teenager lol

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
We're currently the 11th biggest new DLC character thread on smashboards(in terms of replies and views IDK about supporters)

The list goes

1. Ridley
2. King. K-rool
3. Bandana Dee
4. Issac
5. Rayman
6. Krystal
7. Solid Snake
8. Wolf
9. Daisy
10. Chrom
11. SHANTAE!!!!!

I assume that any character that got a mii fighter costume or is already in the game in some way will not be considered. Altough I can't be certain but if that's the case the list goes...

1. Bandana Dee
2. Rayman
3. Krystal
4. Solid Snake
5. Wolf
6. Daisy
7. SHANTAE

I will never understand why people pick Daisy or Krystal over Shantae

you think that nowadays with Tumblr n' such people would want the strong female protagonist in Smash Bros over a token girl and princess who can only speak 3 words

but no

And who wouldn't want to buy a Shantae Amiibo

I'd happily pay scalper price

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

you think that nowadays with Tumblr n' such people would want the strong female protagonist in Smash Bros over a token girl and princess who can only speak 3 words

but no
I do like both of these characters, but yeah I feel Shantae should get into Smash first

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I do like both of these characters, but yeah I feel Shantae should get into Smash first
In Daisy's case, everyone was complaining about Bowser Jr., Rosalina, and Dr. Mario, with everyone's comment being "There's too many Mario characters!"

Yet everyone wants Waluigi or Daisy.

The continued bias of the Smash community astounds me.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
In Daisy's case, everyone was complaining about Bowser Jr., Rosalina, and Dr. Mario, with everyone's comment being "There's too many Mario characters!"

Yet everyone wants Waluigi or Daisy.

The continued bias of the Smash community astounds me.
Before Smash 4 came out, everyone wanted Mewtwo back, now most of them hate him.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Before Smash 4 came out, everyone wanted Mewtwo back, now most of them hate him.
Which is odd, because Mewtwo is amazing here, compared to Melee and Project M.

In terms of other characters in the ballot:

I'm fine with the reasons behind K. Rool.

I'm somewhat fine with Bandanna Dee.

I'm fine with the reasons behind Solid Snake or Simon Belmont (Yet, recent news about Konami such as cancelling
Silent Hills for no reason, those stupid, incredibly perverted Pachinko machines, and their working conditions being absolutely terrible are making me question if they deserve any representation at all)

Ubisoft continues to slip up.

Banjo & Kazooie, Conker, and Golden Sun are dead franchises.

Everyone hates clones, so why do we want Wolf, Pichu, and possibly Chrom?

Ridley is too big. :p

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Maybe because people like their franchises (Mario and Star Fox), they are popular characters requested since Brawl and yeah, they are first party, that means they have higher chances.
Mewtwo is literally one of the best characters in PM and one of the worst in Smash 4 and Melee.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

I'm fine with the reasons behind Solid Snake or Simon Belmont (Yet, recent news about Konami such as cancelling
Silent Hills for no reason, those stupid, incredibly perverted Pachinko machines, and their working conditions being absolutely terrible are making me question if they deserve any representation at all)

It's not that everyone has done a U-turn. It's just that the community is SO mixed it seems like it. Some wanted him back, and I'm sure there were others who thought he sucked and would have preferred him still dead.

As for Daisy and Krystal.... I can't really say much for Daisy, but I know Krystal's campaign is pretty big. As for why they want her? They are fans that feel she would make a great fighter.. just like how we feel about Shantae. She has a large moveset pool, and could possible break the blaster mold we see with the current Starfox reps.

Going over the other characters you mentioned...

Rayman is still a large face in this ballot, and should NOT be underestimated. The campaign is large, and he has a lot of potential.

Banjo & Kazooie aren't really dead. They're just held hostage by corporate scumbags, and by a company that's really fallen down from it's prime in my opinion... (To bad Playtonic can't get a hold of em.. :/). Can't really say much for Conker, or Golden Sun.

As for the clones/Vets? People who want their mains back, or just really like the character. (Pichu was VERY popular in Japan back in the day... dunno where his standing is now.)

And don't bring Ridley into this... please, for the love of god. I'll only say this once: The Ridley campaign was a campaign that had just as much reason to be here as everyone else. They were fans of the character, He's an important villain in his franchise, and he had a lot of moveset potential... He just received too much drag, and Sakurai ultimately sided with the Anti-Ridley fellows... I find it somewhat sad actually, and would rather not see that character kicking brought back from the dead here... in a SHANTAE campaign thread no less. There is no need to beat a dead horse.

Edit: I really hate it when people disregard characters for stupid reasons. This includes FIRST PARTY as well as for 3rd and Indie. The only reason, as I have stated before that people do this, is fear that they could get in over their more "desirable" choice.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
>The Ridley one was sarcastic.

>Wasn't everyone bashing Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit for being clones? Why do people want MORE?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Here's my stance on the rest of the characters on the ballot:

King K Rool and Bandana Waddle Dee are characters I would like to see made fighters, but for first party, I'd like to see Isaac the most since he has the potential for a unique swordfighter and is from an severely underrepresented series

Personally I think Snake had his time to shine in Brawl, and that if Konami was to be represented in Smash again with a character, Simon should take Snake's place (not for the Captain N reference either)

I did want Rayman in at first, but after how much Ubisoft is screwing over Nintendo, I really don't feel comfortable with Rayman joining right now

The only clone I want to see return is Wolf, as he was different enough from Fox and I feel he was a pointless cut in the first place (though I hope they change his Final Smash this time)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

People complain about the stupidest of reasons.

Wolf just had similar moves to Fox, so he wasn't a clone fortunately. Chrom is already a lost cause, and people want Pichu? Ridley will always be to big.

Konami might aswell be smart and allow Snake to return, and Ubisoft is slipping uo...alot.

Banjo and Kazooie could always find a way in, especially since Microsoft would love it.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
>The Ridley one was sarcastic.

>Rayman's campaign mainly started because of Omni's "leak".

>Wasn't everyone bashing Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit for being clones? Why do people want MORE?
Bah. That's like saying the Shantae campaign started just because Wayforward said they wanted her in...

That's just ignorance and you know it. There has been a desire for Rayman for a long time. The leak only caused it to boil to the surface. If people didn't want him in, you would have seen MUCH more complaints. but nope, that wasn't what a lot saw... Most were excited from what I could see. It doesn't matter whether a character gets a fake leak, get support from the dev, or whatever. The desire is ALWAYS there. Fans just don't wake up one morning and decide "Hey. I think I want Rayman in Smash Bros.!" .... >_>

Again. THESE AREN'T THE SAME PEOPLE. The community is split into multiple sectors, this isn't just some group of people going "Oh this guy is nice" one minute, and then U-turning and going "OMG WHY'D YOU PUT HIM IN!?". Some fans like veterans/ are fine with clones, others don't/aren't, end of story.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
People complain about the stupidest of reasons.

Wolf just had similar moves to Fox, so he wasn't a clone fortunately. Chrom is already a lost cause, and people want Pichu? Ridley will always be to big.

Konami might aswell be smart and allow Snake to return, and Ubisoft is slipping uo...alot.

Banjo and Kazooie could always find a way in, especially since Microsoft would love it.
Konami has dug themselves into a hole and deserve nothing. I don't think Sakurai would want to reward Konami for rudely firing one of his best friends, either. Let alone the reason why Snake got in Brawl in the first place.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Konami has dug themselves into a hole and deserve nothing. I don't think Sakurai would want to reward Konami for rudely firing one of his best friends, either. Let alone the reason why Snake got in Brawl in the first place.
Unless Kojima managed to steal back Snake or Konami sold it to Nintendo for some reason, NOTHING. Sakurai is probably as pissed at Konami firing Kojima as he is about Smash leaks.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Meh.... I wish there was something we could discuss on here about Shantae and whatnot; It'll just feel dry having to speculate for less then 2 months and not know Shantae's fate (among other characters). I do hope we'll get some more news about something soon.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
(What if I told you guys that I was originally going to vote for Samurai Goroh before I hopped on the Shantae train)

(And expected Wayforward to start it up several days after I made my decision)

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358

The list goes

1. Ridley
2. King. K-rool
3. Bandana Dee
4. Issac
5. Rayman
6. Krystal
7. Solid Snake
8. Wolf
9. Daisy
10. Chrom
11. SHANTAE!!!!!

1. Bandana Dee
2. Rayman
3. Krystal
4. Solid Snake
5. Wolf
6. Daisy
7. SHANTAE

Why isn't Isaac on that second list. He's not in Smash 4 as a Mii costume, AT, etc., so he should be #2 on that second list. Sorry about getting off topic but Isaac's my most wanted character (sorry guys, Shantae's #2 for me) I'm not trying to start a fight I just wanted to clear that up a little.

Edit: I'm talking about Isaac from Golden Sun.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Why isn't Isaac on that second list. He's not in Smash 4 as a Mii costume, AT, etc., so he should be #2 on that second list. Sorry about getting off topic but Isaac's my most wanted character (sorry guys, Shantae's #2 for me) I'm not trying to start a fight I just wanted to clear that up a little.
There's several Issacs people want, and we all get confused.

Even Sakurai.

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
I wasn't even thinking about Tales of Symphonia. I don't think anyone was.

Consider it Sakurai striking again, I guess.
What are you talking about? I was talking about the lists that GP2 made in this post not about Sakurai, sorry about the confusion.

The list goes

1. Ridley
2. King. K-rool
3. Bandana Dee
4. Issac
5. Rayman
6. Krystal
7. Solid Snake
8. Wolf
9. Daisy
10. Chrom
11. SHANTAE!!!!!

1. Bandana Dee
2. Rayman
3. Krystal
4. Solid Snake
5. Wolf
6. Daisy
7. SHANTAE

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
What are you talking about? I was talking about the lists that GP2 made in this post not about Sakurai, sorry about the confusion.
I'm talking about how people have wanted Issac from Golden Sun since Brawl, and now we got a costume based someone completely different, but named Issac.

...Even we're confused.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm talking about how people have wanted Issac from Golden Sun since Brawl, and now we got a costume based someone completely different, but named Issac.

...Even we're confused.
Um the guy from Tales of Symphonia is Lloyd

(Posted this before I saw it was cleared up, sorry)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Meh.... I wish there was something we could discuss on here about Shantae and whatnot; It'll just feel dry having to speculate for less then 2 months and not know Shantae's fate (among other characters). I do hope we'll get some more news about something soon.
Sorry about all this, is there something in particular you'd like to talk about?

Top Bottom