• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I don't know if anyone's tried it yet: But I think a good way to promote Shantae is making a Mii Fighter of her and using her on online tourneys that allow Miis. Possibly with "Shantae4Smash", completely foolproo-

New Update guys for Half Genie Hero.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1313176
Woah! Bonelegs looks like a FANTASTIC enemy! I'm really happy that Wayforward is allowing backers to design some, they've been amazing so far.

And that Scuttle Town BG art... I want the game now.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I like the design, from that description it sounds like a pain.
I'm also seeing that they plan to release the game in 2 Rounds.
  • RELEASE DATES:
We do not have a firm release date for the game yet because game development is going full speed and each day provides new challenges. However, it is likely the game will release in two "rounds" to relieve pressure on the development team because of the technical hurdles multiple platform launches entail. Steam/PC, PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One are in “Round 1”, and PS3, Xbox 360, and Vita are in "Round 2." We are confident that the time between rounds will be relatively short in game development terms (1-3 months, again only an estimate) and we wanted to be up front with you, the backers, about our plan in case it had some bearing on which version of the game you want to pick. Please keep in mind these plans are still tentative and are subject to change.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
  • RELEASE DATES:
We do not have a firm release date for the game yet because game development is going full speed and each day provides new challenges. However, it is likely the game will release in two "rounds" to relieve pressure on the development team because of the technical hurdles multiple platform launches entail. Steam/PC, PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One are in “Round 1”, and PS3, Xbox 360, and Vita are in "Round 2." We are confident that the time between rounds will be relatively short in game development terms (1-3 months, again only an estimate) and we wanted to be up front with you, the backers, about our plan in case it had some bearing on which version of the game you want to pick. Please keep in mind these plans are still tentative and are subject to change.
Hopefully it does come out this year, unlike another indie game...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
  • RELEASE DATES:
Personally, the real concern is when is the actual release date. Mighty No. 9 has already been pushed back, which has me worried for this.

(At least Wayforward has the excuse of developing and releasing several games between the start of development for HGH and now, not to mention the stretch goals, I have no idea what the heck Comcept is doing)

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Personally, the real concern is when is the actual release date. Mighty No. 9 has already been pushed back, which has me worried for this.

(At least Wayforward has the excuse of developing and releasing several games between the start of development for HGH and now, not to mention the stretch goals, I have no idea what the heck Comcept is doing)
Also my thoughts exactly.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

I've been hearing that Comcept has to fix some bugs that they found in the game and that they have other plans like that Mighty No.9 TV series and Red Ash.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of Mighty No. 9, Red Ash, and I might as well throw Bloodstained in there: How come Comcept has made the exact same mistake THREE TIMES!?
If you want people to fund a game, let alone trust you with their hard-earned money, give em' some footage to show them what the project is! A description of the game and what it will offer in it's current state, so they won't be painfully dissapointed later. Not a short sketch or documentary about how you left your company!

Americans (Wayforward) and the British (Playtonic) are kicking the Japanese (Comcept) in the shins over something painfully simple that they were too lazy to do.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
http://masterherald.com/super-smash...as-new-character-to-come-by-way-of-dlc/23820/

This is something we already know, so it might be kind of pointless. But the article is also saying that it could be just to avoid any leaks of Shantae actually confirmed as DLC. But it's just a rumor. Let's hope that rumor is true, though.

I also apologize I was inactive on this thread. I've been very busy in the real world, but I have been following on what's been going on. So don't worry, I'll still be here supporting ☺

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
http://masterherald.com/super-smash...as-new-character-to-come-by-way-of-dlc/23820/

This is something we already know, so it might be kind of pointless. But the article is also saying that it could be just to avoid any leaks of Shantae actually confirmed as DLC. But it's just a rumor. Let's hope that rumor is true, though.

I also apologize I was inactive on this thread. I've been very busy in the real world, but I have been following on what's been going on. So don't worry, I'll still be here supporting ☺
Sadly this been proven false a couple of days ago.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Today, as announced on Twitter, Matt Bozon celebrates the 20th anniversary of his marriage with Erin. sniff They look like such a happy couple... It brings a tear to me eye.:crying:
I'd say not, Bonelegs' design is awesome. Would you mind sharing your fanart of it though?
Oh, sure.

Here ya go.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
That's really good, nicely done :)
Thank you.

By the way... You guys know about the cameo characters coming to that "Runbow" thing, right?

It apparently turns out that Nintendo themselves assisted 13AM games into getting the companies behind the other characters hooked up with them. Of course, there's one character obviously missing from the crossover roster in here.

If that's the case... Does this mean that Nintendo has something bigger planned for Shantae?

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Thank you.

By the way... You guys know about the cameo characters coming to that "Runbow" thing, right?

It apparently turns out that Nintendo themselves assisted 13AM games into getting the companies behind the other characters hooked up with them. Of course, there's one character obviously missing from the crossover roster in here.

If that's the case... Does this mean that Nintendo has something bigger planned for Shantae?
I really wish with all my heart that this is the case.

I must say though, if anyone has been given the most attention concerning the Smash Ballot, it's definitely Shantae. Wayforward was the first to start campaigning their own character for Smash and because of it, they caught everyone's attention. There was also that tweet Matt Bozon made that also caught everyone's attention and even caught publicity through Etika and multiple sites. And now recently there's the issue with Christina Vee and her IMDb account which once again caught everyone's attention and caught publicity. Call it a series of coincidences, but IMO, I feel there have been far too many "coincidences" and spotlights for Shantae to say she definitely hasn't caught the attention of someone important.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I really wish with all my heart that this is the case.

I must say though, if anyone has been given the most attention concerning the Smash Ballot, it's definitely Shantae. Wayforward was the first to start campaigning their own character for Smash and because of it, they caught everyone's attention. There was also that tweet Matt Bozon made that also caught everyone's attention and even caught publicity through Etika and multiple sites. And now recently there's the issue with Christina Vee and her IMDb account which once again caught everyone's attention and caught publicity. Call it a series of coincidences, but IMO, I feel there have been far too many "coincidences" and spotlights for Shantae to say she definitely hasn't caught the attention of someone important.
What I don't like is that it's personally starting to feel like Nintendo (and possibly the indie community in general) is intentionally ignoring her and Wayforward.

In the past few years, Nintendo has become popular with the Indie crowd for promoting their games. By doing this with Runbow, the two "Humble Indie Bundle" discounts, the "Nindies at home" program at E3, promoting games like Shovel Knight and now, Yooka-Laylee... Commander Video even got a trophy in Smash Bros! Heck,
Commander Video and Shovel Knight have been appearing in FREAKING EVERYTHING, and they haven't gotten even been around as long as Shantae has, barely even close!

Yet, the first "Nindie", and arguably the best, who has been around for 13 years, with games that have received tremendous praise from critics, and has received many awards... Has rarely to never been put in the spotlight by Nintendo themselves. The Nintendo magazine with a dwindling subscriber-base had to promote her, and the company who burned what little money they usually had left over to develop original titles that, a majority of the time, have usually been first released on Nintendo systems.

Shantae and Wayforward was the first one on the doorstep of the Smash Ballot, before it even started. In a time where third parties ignore Nintendo or flat-out screw them over (Such as Ubisoft), and now freaking love them, even though they're just bribing for a spot in Smash (Team Meat isn't even hiding it.), Wayforward is the most deserving for their hard work and dedication to them.

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
What I don't like is that it's personally starting to feel like Nintendo (and possibly the indie community in general) is intentionally ignoring her and Wayforward.

In the past few years, Nintendo has become popular with the Indie crowd for promoting their games. By doing this with Runbow, the two "Humble Indie Bundle" discounts, the "Nindies at home" program at E3, promoting games like Shovel Knight and now, Yooka-Laylee... Commander Video even got a trophy in Smash Bros! Heck,
Commander Video and Shovel Knight have been appearing in FREAKING EVERYTHING, and they haven't gotten even been around as long as Shantae has, barely even close!

Yet, the first "Nindie", and arguably the best, who has been around for 13 years, with games that have received tremendous praise from critics, and has received many awards... Has rarely to never been put in the spotlight by Nintendo themselves. The Nintendo magazine with a dwindling subscriber-base had to promote her, and the company who burned what little money they usually had left over to develop original titles that, a majority of the time, have usually been first released on Nintendo systems.

Shantae and Wayforward was the first one on the doorstep of the Smash Ballot, before it even started. In a time where third parties ignore Nintendo or flat-out screw them over (Such as Ubisoft), and now freaking love them, even though they're just bribing for a spot in Smash (Team Meat isn't even hiding it.), Wayforward is the most deserving for their hard work and dedication to them.
Well at this point, we know they can't ignore her. Especially if she ends up in Smash or is recognized by Sakurai. She has her own future game coming out, and her other games are selling like hotcakes. She has a heavy amount of support that's almost impossible to not find on other sites. At this point for Shantae, it can only go uphill from here on, which I look (Way)forward to. Wayforward and Shantae have worked far too hard and have gotten far too much attention lately for Nintendo or the gaming community to ignore her.

(Also, screw Team Meat. They haven't even made one game for a Nintendo system, and feel like they deserve a spot in Smash)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well at this point, we know they can't ignore her. Especially if she ends up in Smash or is recognized by Sakurai. She has her own future game coming out, and her other games are selling like hotcakes. She has a heavy amount of support that's almost impossible to not find on other sites. At this point for Shantae, it can only go uphill from here on, which I look (Way)forward to. Wayforward and Shantae have worked far too hard and have gotten far too much attention lately for Nintendo or the gaming community to ignore her.

(Also, screw Team Meat. They haven't even made one game for a Nintendo system, and feel like they deserve a spot in Smash)
Worse: I think they're offering to make games for Nintendo platforms in exchange for putting Meat Boy in Smash.

terrible.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Worse: I think they're offering to make games for Nintendo platforms in exchange for putting Meat Boy in Smash.

terrible.
TheRickyWill used Mind Reader on Spinda654. It's super effective. Seriuosly, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Meat Boy is NOT deserving of a slot. If Nintendo bring an Indie to the fight, it will either be Shantae or Shovel Knight (Hopefully Shantae).

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
TheRickyWill used Mind Reader on Spinda654. It's super effective. Seriuosly, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Meat Boy is NOT deserving of a slot. If Nintendo bring an Indie to the fight, it will either be Shantae or Shovel Knight (Hopefully Shantae).
That shovelin' fool has already beaten up Kratos and the Battletoads. (He somehow made it through Turbo Tunnel, too.)

i think he's done enough.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice

terrible.
Not even just terrible. It's also disgusting.

Edit: Also maybe a little laughable.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a handful of people wanting Meat Boy and I can't help but wonder what madness lurks in their heads. I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to rating ballot characters, but even I have to admit that Meat Boy has nothing going for him:
  • He has no moveset. His gameplay is limited to running a jumping and... that's it. You can't argue for him to use the other characters' moves either because 1) those are guest characters from other games, and 2) you'd end up with the logical conclusion of Sakurai's "anti-Ridley" argument where Meat Boy just stops being Meat Boy.
  • He's only had two games, the first of which was just some easily forgettable Newgrounds Flash thing. Neither game has been on a Nintendo console either, so he has no presence or legacy in the company whatsoever.
  • Do I have to say it? Blood. Part of Meat Boy's whole gimmick is that his games get really, really bloody, either by him exploding when he dies or just by spreading blood while running around. Smash is meant to be kid-friendly carnage, so that would never fly with the devs.
  • If Team Meat is seriously trying to bribe Nintendo with games to get Meat Boy into Smash, then that's another reason not to include him. A company raising awareness and running promos like it's a presidential election is fine, but outright kissing up to Nintendo, especially after you've done nothing for the company in the past, is going to far and just plain sad.
Sorry if I'm going a bit overboard with my rant, but I'd like to think I'm justified in not wanting Meat Boy. Of all the third-party or indies that are out there, Meat Boy is one that I feel wouldn't contribute anything and just plain doesn't belong.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I've seen a handful of people wanting Meat Boy and I can't help but wonder what madness lurks in their heads. I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to rating ballot characters, but even I have to admit that Meat Boy has nothing going for him:
  • He has no moveset. His gameplay is limited to running a jumping and... that's it. You can't argue for him to use the other characters' moves either because 1) those are guest characters from other games, and 2) you'd end up with the logical conclusion of Sakurai's "anti-Ridley" argument where Meat Boy just stops being Meat Boy.
  • He's only had two games, the first of which was just some easily forgettable Newgrounds Flash thing. Neither game has been on a Nintendo console either, so he has no presence or legacy in the company whatsoever.
  • Do I have to say it? Blood. Part of Meat Boy's whole gimmick is that his games get really, really bloody, either by him exploding when he dies or just by spreading blood while running around. Smash is meant to be kid-friendly carnage, so that would never fly with the devs.
  • If Team Meat is seriously trying to bribe Nintendo with games to get Meat Boy into Smash, then that's another reason not to include him. A company raising awareness and running promos like it's a presidential election is fine, but outright kissing up to Nintendo, especially after you've done nothing for the company in the past, is going to far and just plain sad.
Sorry if I'm going a bit overboard with my rant, but I'd like to think I'm justified in not wanting Meat Boy. Of all the third-party or indies that are out there, Meat Boy is one that I feel wouldn't contribute anything and just plain doesn't belong.
Literally the ONLY thing he has done in a game after Super Meat Boy was being in Commander Video's team that he formed after Bit.Trip. Runner
And, canonically, leaves when CV kicks the bucket in Fate.

It's funny how his only appearence on a Nintendo platform was in a game series he wasn't even the main character of, and wasn't even playable.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
With all the things I have been hearing about the Smash ballot the more I believe that Shantae will be one of few that gets into Smash. There are many examples of why and most of them you already know but just one overall reason why Shantae WILL get into Smash is....

WAYFORWARD IS ACTUALLY HELPING SAKURAI WITH THE RESEARCH FOR THEIR CHARACTER SHANTAE!

Think about it, how many companies you know that is:
-Creating concept art for her costumes
-Accepting fan concept arts about Shantae's possible moveset
-Have a fanbase on youtube, twitter, facebook, deviantart, etc., helping with coming up for moves, music, stages, trophies and assist trophies.
-Not only that but also acknowledging us fans when presenting with great ideas for her Smash inclusion

And this is not even the tip of the massive iceberg of reasons that Shantae should be in Smash.

So with epic feels coming from me, I would only have to say:

#SHANTAE4SMASH is #1!

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice

I really hope they aren't ignoring her cause she got so much publicity and she has a long history with Nintendo. Plus the campaign from WayForward and such . I just hope they are really considering her to be a playable character .

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
With all the things I have been hearing about the Smash ballot the more I believe that Shantae will be one of few that gets into Smash. There are many examples of why and most of them you already know but just one overall reason why Shantae WILL get into Smash is....

WAYFORWARD IS ACTUALLY HELPING SAKURAI WITH THE RESEARCH FOR THEIR CHARACTER SHANTAE!

Think about it, how many companies you know that is:
-Creating concept art for her costumes
-Accepting fan concept arts about Shantae's possible moveset
-Have a fanbase on youtube, twitter, facebook, deviantart, etc., helping with coming up for moves, music, stages, trophies and assist trophies.
-Not only that but also acknowledging us fans when presenting with great ideas for her Smash inclusion

And this is not even the tip of the massive iceberg of reasons that Shantae should be in Smash.

So with epic feels coming from me, I would only have to say:

#SHANTAE4SMASH is #1!
.........Because that gives them publicity?

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
If Shantae got into smash what style would you hope for? A more cartoonish style like Toon Link or a more realistic style similar to Shulk?

Top Bottom