• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
http://hfc-nintendothon.co.uk/
BrainScratch and HellfireComms are doing a two week charity event called the "Nintendothon". It's all done to give money to the U.K. organization, Mind, which helps those with mental health issues. They are currently playing through Pirate's Curse, with SomecallmeJohnny playing it and his brother, Elliot, co-commenting. Donate for a great cause.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
http://hfc-nintendothon.co.uk/
BrainScratch and HellfireComms are doing a two week charity event called the "Nintendothon". It's all done to give money to the U.K. organization, Mind, which helps those with mental health issues. They are currently playing through Pirate's Curse, with SomecallmeJohnny playing it and his brother, Elliot, co-commenting. Donate for a great cause.
The website seems to not be come up. It sends me to a web host site.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
A message about Sakurai from a member of Nintendo Treehouse: “Sakurai’s outlook on the games is very dire. He gets really sad when he finds out how people are reacting and he gets sad whenever there’s a leak, because he really wants to create. And he’s an auteur in the most crazy sense. He’s basically Vincent Van Gogh cutting off his own ear and we’re sitting there going ‘Frick! Stop doing that!’ And he’s like ‘You don’t get it, guys, my vision!'”

I really do feel bad for the guy, he practically kills himself over these games and the harassment he gets back outweighs the praise. :(

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
A message about Sakurai from a member of Nintendo Treehouse: “Sakurai’s outlook on the games is very dire. He gets really sad when he finds out how people are reacting and he gets sad whenever there’s a leak, because he really wants to create. And he’s an auteur in the most crazy sense. He’s basically Vincent Van Gogh cutting off his own ear and we’re sitting there going ‘Frick! Stop doing that!’ And he’s like ‘You don’t get it, guys, my vision!'”

I really do feel bad for the guy, he practically kills himself over these games and the harassment he gets back outweighs the praise. :(
Yeah, all this was in the podcast its really sad though.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
When you create a successful IP then you can expect to do it again and again.

The only way for Sakurai to keep the secrets is to prevent any type of items that people use to record or steal information.

Also while it is sad for him that he feels his work isn't being appreciated, what he doesn't realize is that he has a massive fanbase that will continue and ask him for more Smash games. He could work on other games(Kid Icarus Uprising) and all Nintendo and us fans ask him is a Smash game per console generation. It's not like we asked for two.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Here's a thing I've done.

(Ignore the giant purple text only there to prevent repost/theft)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Pretty cool. Nice job.

Also please end your spoilers with [ /spoiler ] after you use it.
Oh, sorry. I'll keep that in mind.

So Matt Bozon and James are currently joking around on twitter about getting Shantae into Smash by "lighting the Sakurai signal."

I don't know about you, but considering what Sakurai has done in the past, I think it's this:

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I just had an idea:

After I brought up how Nintendo Power absolutely loved Wayforward and their games yesterday, especially Shantae, does anyone here want to ask Chris Hoffman (And/or Chris Slate) over twitter if they'd like to see Shantae in Smash, considering how most of the fans she got was all thanks to them?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I voted for Shantae yesterday. She would be my new main if they put her in smash. Are people here voting everyday?
I know I am voting for her everyday. But I wonder how they do the voting ballet? Do they do one character for every access point or do they count the daily votes in overall?

GP2

Smash Apprentice
A few questions since I am somewhat new to smashoards:

1: How do I become a supporter listed on the first page of the thread?
2: Where are people getting the wishlist images for characters on their signitures? I can't find any

I know I am voting for her everyday. But I wonder how they do the voting ballet? Do they do one character for every access point or do they count the daily votes in overall?
Okay good to know thanks. Good question though I was hoping someone would know for sure but voting everyday can't hurt right?

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

2: Where are people getting the wishlist images for characters on their signitures? I can't find any

Okay good to know thanks. Good question though I was hoping someone would know for sure but voting everyday can't hurt right?
1. Well one of the senior members of the #Shantae4Smash group will add you.
2. Don't know either need to check with the senior members lol.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
The wishlist images? Well it depends on the image really. There are a lot of custom signature cards and what not made for the ballot, and you will find a lot of threads out there that specialize in just that.

You could always do some snooping in the Art Emporium section of the forums, which is where most of those threads are. (Here)

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I finished my support thing for Shantae sadly I couldn't draw Shantae the way I wanted so I reused an older drawing for it and I thought I share where the art came from which is from my "Two Sides, One Genie" drawing I shared a while back which is still my best Shantae related drawing so far :)

Vote 4 Shantae.png
Two Sides One Genie.png

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I finished my support thing for Shantae sadly I couldn't draw Shantae the way I wanted so I reused an older drawing for it and I thought I share where the art came from which is from my "Two Sides, One Genie" drawing I shared a while back which is still my best Shantae related drawing so far :)

View attachment 66335 View attachment 66336
There really should be a guide for people to use to know how to use the spoiler tags.... which I believe there is...

it's (without the spaces) [ spoiler ] "Your comment/images/videos" [ /spoiler ]

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Well, First off
:colorful::starman:Welcome to the Group!:starman::colorful:
And adding you as a new supporter

1. The Thread Owner hasn't been around lately so I'm keeping track with all the new supporters that join the group. So until he/she comes around I'll be adding new people to this list.
2. If you want a wishlist similar to mine you can Search & Download the Smash Roster Maker in the boards. Once you have that you can customize your character wishlist and save it as a image. Then when you're done you have to make a Photobucket account and upload your image, then once its uploaded copy the URL of your image and you can put it in your signature by clicking on the image button next to the smiley face and paste it. Hope this helps.

@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Whenever you get the chance please update the support list with these new supporters.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25
Mental Surge
DiagonalSpy07
B.H. and DD
NintendoPowaa
Dani l
Wademan94
Lord Sturm
TheRickyWill
Quarium
GP2

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Well, First off
:colorful::starman:Welcome to the Group!:starman::colorful:
And adding you as a new supporter

1. The Thread Owner hasn't been around lately so I'm keeping track with all the new supporters that join the group. So until he/she comes around I'll be adding new people to this list.
2. If you want a wishlist similar to mine you can Search & Download the Smash Roster Maker in the boards. Once you have that you can customize your character wishlist and save it as a image. Then when you're done you have to make a Photobucket account and upload your image, then once its uploaded copy the URL of your image and you can put it in your signature by clicking on the image button next to the smiley face and paste it. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the warm welcome and for the info. I ended up making a Shantae Banner myself before I saw this.

If anynone wants to use it here is the link

http://i.imgur.com/uiD1hhr.png

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I have no idea why people don't want Shantae in Smash

Look at her:
She's freaking adorable.
That's a character people are going to underestimate... only to see her destroy tournaments.
Because she's fanservice: the indie character only wanted for her **** :^))))))
But seriously though, it's 'cuz they don't know her well.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Because she's fanservice: the indie character only wanted for her **** :^))))))
But seriously though, it's 'cuz they don't know her well.
I know I said this before, but I think Shantae AND Commander Video should debut in Smash Bros this time. Both of their franchises were birthed on Nintendo systems, with a legacy spanning across them, and made WiiWare and DSiWare the go-to place for original indie games, with amazing developers still making games for Nintendo systems.

Shantae and Bit. Trip. have certainly played a bigger part in Nintendo's history than titles like Xenoblade Chronicles, Ice Climbers, and the Mother series (unless you count being Nintendo's worst-selling franchise represented in Smash Bros) [citation possibly needed]

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I know I said this before, but I think Shantae AND Commander Video should debut in Smash Bros this time. Both of their franchises were birthed on Nintendo systems, with a legacy spanning across them, and made WiiWare and DSiWare the go-to place for original indie games, with amazing developers still making games for Nintendo systems.

Shantae and Bit. Trip. have certainly played a bigger part in Nintendo's history than titles like Xenoblade Chronicles, Ice Climbers, and the Mother series (unless you count being Nintendo's worst-selling franchise represented in Smash Bros) [citation possibly needed]
Ehh...

Ice Climbers are considered one of those retro characters... and to be honest, I feel like if those 3DS limitations hadn't been a thing, and the team had more time, they probably would have been in the game. (They had them working for the Wii U if I may add.. it's things like this that make me wish the 3DS version was never devised. A portable smash is a cool concept... but it ultimately hindered the main title's development... I can only imagine what the Wii U version would have been like if that dev time wasn't spent on the 3DS version... ).. Considering this installment is all about the history, they would still fit, regardless of their standings in the market.

As for the Mother series, it may have been a "worst-selling franchise", but that was mostly due to it going unnoticed, and people not realizing just how much of a classic it was. Ironically, Smash is probably one of the main things that brought the series up front, and made people curious... and made people realize it was a cult classic. In a way, the mother series "mirrors" the Shantae series in a way... the only difference here being the Mother series got a bit more lucky...

The same thing could happen for Shantae. She often goes unnoticed herself unfortunately, and many people again, don't know a classic when they see one. If Shantae had gotten into Smash bros a few gens ago, she probably would have been MUCH more successful, and more renowned in the industry than she currently is, despite her already growing fanbase now...

I wouldn't even dare to try to pull that relevance card, as that same card is often thrown at the Shantae campaign constantly...

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Ehh...

Ice Climbers are considered one of those retro characters... and to be honest, I feel like if those 3DS limitations hadn't been a thing, and the team had more time, they probably would have been in the game. (They had them working for the Wii U if I may add.. it's things like this that make me wish the 3DS version was never devised. A portable smash is a cool concept... but it ultimately hindered the main title's development... I can only imagine what the Wii U version would have been like if that dev time wasn't spent on the 3DS version... ).. Considering this installment is all about the history, they would still fit, regardless of their standings in the market.

As for the Mother series, it may have been a "worst-selling franchise", but that was mostly due to it going unnoticed, and people not realizing just how much of a classic it was. Ironically, Smash is probably one of the main things that brought the series up front, and made people curious... and made people realize it was a cult classic. In a way, the mother series "mirrors" the Shantae series in a way... the only difference here being the Mother series got a bit more lucky...

The same thing could happen for Shantae. She often goes unnoticed herself unfortunately, and many people again, don't know a classic when they see one. If Shantae had gotten into Smash bros a few gens ago, she probably would have been MUCH more successful, and more renowned in the industry than she currently is, despite her already growing fanbase now...

I wouldn't even dare to try to pull that relevance card, as that same card is often thrown at the Shantae campaign constantly...
Basically.

By the way, Internet: The relevance card doesn't count anymore when R.O.B and the Duck Hunt Dog are in Smash Bros.

(In terms of 3rd parties, I think it tends to mean franchises that are completely dead or out of Nintendo's reach. Sakurai has said that characters in series with no future usually aren't considered.)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Top Bottom