• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well then... it looks like Console devs might have some competition. o_o

I hadn't even heard of this. Apparently "Steam machines" are on there way.. They'll be on the steam store to buy October 16th, and will hit Stores September 10th..

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/4/8727269/steam-machine-launch-date

I bring this up, as I am truly intrigued by it. Isn't this the first time in years consoles other than what Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony create will be on the market?

I also mention it as Shantae "is" Indie, and she does have titles on Steam. I wonder if Wayforward might work on porting their existing titles to it and newer ones to it if it is successful?

What do you guys think of all of this? o_o

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well then... it looks like Console devs might have some competition. o_o

I hadn't even heard of this. Apparently "Steam machines" are on there way.. They'll be on the steam store to buy October 16th, and will hit Stores September 10th..

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/4/8727269/steam-machine-launch-date

I bring this up, as I am truly intrigued by it. Isn't this the first time in years consoles other than what Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony create will be on the market?

I also mention it as Shantae "is" Indie, and she does have titles on Steam. I wonder if Wayforward might work on porting their existing titles to it and newer ones to it if it is successful?

What do you guys think of all of this? o_o
Umm, this was really old news, this was mentioned months ago that Steam was going to do.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Meh.... I'm worried that Shovel Knight might get higher priority to Sakurai due to his high positions in the Fan Ballots and possibly the official Ballot itself (The only reason why he is even high up is because of his Smashified picture. While I admit it's good, it's the only reason why Shovel Knight is even this popular). I could honestly just be overreacting, really, but Shantae deserves it more then he does. I'm not trying to start any flame wars, btw, its just my opinion.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Meh.... I'm worried that Shovel Knight might get higher priority to Sakurai due to his high positions in the Fan Ballots and possibly the official Ballot itself (The only reason why he is even high up is because of his Smashified picture. While I admit it's good, it's the only reason why Shovel Knight is even this popular). I could honestly just be overreacting, really, but Shantae deserves it more then he does. I'm not trying to start any flame wars, btw, its just my opinion.
Well Shantae did get Smashified as well. So really she is going to end up with as much exposure as Shovel by the time October arrives.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
A little late of a reply, but I'd just like to say how much I praise these polls for not containing any veterans. It's nice to see opinions on potential newcomers and just potential newcomers for a change.
I agree with this (however, whoever made this poll added the two stupidest troll characters on there, being that of Shrek and Goku, so I consider them void from this fan-made poll. While I admit Goku is less of a troll character compared to Shrek, we all know that Goku not going to happen, so yeah).

EDIT: I just realized too, there's also the Reckless Wiimote Safety Man, who's just a joke character. Almost forgot about him, so thank you Burruni. :p

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I agree with this (however, whoever made this poll added the two stupidest troll characters on there, being that of Shrek and Goku, so I consider them void from this fan-made poll. While I admit Goku is less of a troll character compared to Shrek, we all know that Goku not going to happen, so yeah).
Reckless. Wiimote. Safety. Man.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
So my buddy just told me he recently saw an article about a leaked Smash Bros memo from Nintendo, claiming that the next three characters that were going to be added were Issac from Golden Sun, Banjo-Kazooie, and Shantae.

Now, I'm not saying this is legit in the least. I just got off the phone with him about an hour ago. He said something about Miyamoto post E3 interviews and said he thought the article was published on Polygon, but he said he wasn't sure.

Since this is technically one of the biggest Shantae Smash hubs on the internet, I figured I'd come here to see if anyone else has heard of or seen this rumor.

I'm hardcore praying it's true though!

...It's probably fake.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So my buddy just told me he recently saw an article about a leaked Smash Bros memo from Nintendo, claiming that the next three characters that were going to be added were Issac from Golden Sun, Banjo-Kazooie, and Shantae.

Now, I'm not saying this is legit in the least. I just got off the phone with him about an hour ago. He said something about Miyamoto post E3 interviews and said he thought the article was published on Polygon, but he said he wasn't sure.

Since this is technically one of the biggest Shantae Smash hubs on the internet, I figured I'd come here to see if anyone else has heard of or seen this rumor.

...It's probably fake.
Never heard about it until now. But like of the days of Artsy Omni's "Rayman Leak" either data dump from the game or in game footage, or it's fake. We'll have to see when the time comes, but I think it's still a bit too soon for the ballot results to be finalized just yet, imo.

But anyways, welcome to the group if you're new on here. :)

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Never heard about it until now. But like of the days of Artsy Omni's "Rayman Leak" either data dump from the game or in game footage, or it's fake. We'll have to see when the time comes, but I think it's still a bit too soon for the ballot results to be finalized just yet, imo.

Yeah...

Say, for that matter, has anyone actually datamined the patch for Roy and Ryu yet?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

...It's probably fake.
Ha
Haaaaaa.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Banjo-Kazooie.
Sorry.... but Micro$oft is too much of wall for this to be real.
Also, NO K. ROOL OR WOLF.
ALMOST INARGUABLY THE TWO MOST LIKELY CHARACTERS FOR OUR REMAINING DLC.

Yeah...

Say, for that matter, has anyone actually datamined the patch for Roy and Ryu yet?
Yes.
Japan got it a day before it was supposed to.
DO YOU NOT REMEMBER HOW :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: WERE ALL LEAKED OUT FULLY A DAY BEFORE RELEASE

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

...It's probably fake.
I want to hope this is real, but yeah, I just doubt that Banjo and Kazooie would get in due to them being owned by Microsoft.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
To be fair, the Phil Spencer tweet from months back deals with most of that detraction. Microsoft seems open to it (and to be honest they would be morons not to be.) If anything would be a wall in their inclusion, it would be Nintendo. Not Micro. (Heck it's the reason all the companies are open to this. This is PAID DLC... it is Nintendo that would be the deciding factor in this stuff)

Isaac I can understand... but the lack of K. Rool is definitely suspicious.

Either way, like SuperSegaSonic said... proof, or it didn't happen XD

Unless there is leaked footage of their dang victory videos like there was with Ryu and Roy, I ain't buying nothing. lol

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai

He just lined me the article. He worded it a lot different over the phone than what is actually said in the article. But the "fan-service" part gives me a LOT of hope.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/super-...omises-several-more-fighters-also-asks-453784

And no, I'm not technically new here, I've posted a few times but I don't come too often.

UPDATE: My friend said the the article from Polygon has been deleted. I know this all kind of smells fishy, but my friend isn't the type to start fake rumors. He hates that kind of stuff.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
To be fair, the Phil Spencer tweet from months back deals with most of that detraction. Microsoft seems open to it (and to be honest they would be morons not to be.) If anything would be a wall in their inclusion, it would be Nintendo. Not Micro. (Heck it's the reason all the companies are open to this. This is PAID DLC... it is Nintendo that would be the deciding factor in this stuff)

Unless there is leaked footage of their dang victory videos like there was with Ryu and Roy, I ain't buying nothing. lol
Yeah, that's true. To be honest though, I believe that King K Rool might come later, as the guy said that these would be the next three added, not the last three added. There's a big difference there.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
He just lined me the article. He worded it a lot different over the phone than what is actually said in the article. But the "fan-service" part gives me a LOT of hope.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/super-...omises-several-more-fighters-also-asks-453784

And no, I'm not technically new here, I've posted a few times but I don't come too often.

UPDATE: My friend said the the article from Polygon has been deleted. I know this all kind of smells fishy, but my friend isn't the type to start fake rumors. He hates that kind of stuff.
Oh? That Article? Yeah, I've seen that article before. It's just wishful thinking from whoever wrote it, if I had to be honest.

EDIT: Apologies about the double post, I could of just added the above quote to my above post. My bad.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Hmm, Well, I guess if something big drops, like video footage or something really believable shows up that proves Shantae made it in, it's hard to give this any really merit, even if he may know something about all that.

Burruni

Smash Hero

No. That tweet doesn't deal with any of the real detraction. It just means that Microsoft is aware there's Banjo-Kazooie demand for Smash.

1) How do we know he ACTUALLY is open to it, and wasn't just doing that to add publicity back to Banjo-Kazooie, just two months before that Rare Replay announcement at E3?

2) If he IS genuine, that means he's open to NEGOTIATING THE CONTRACT. WHICH COULD TAKE TOO LONG TO NEGOTIATE OR COST TOO MUCH FOR NINTENDO TO USE THE CHARACTERS. Remember that debates over :sonic: getting in went over most of Brawl's development cycle?

3) Do you think Banjo-Kazooie is going to make massive enough of an impact in the ballot for Sakurai to debate them as gaming icons on par of :4sonic::4megaman::4ryu::4pacman: or hell even :snake:?

4) Would he see them on that level?

5) Would Sakurai give in to putting them in then when he didn't in Melee at the peak of their popularity?

6) Would they merely be overlooked for similarly ranking first party characters?

Shantae faces basically everything from 3 onwards, too. It's why I support her but don't expect her.

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Oh? That Article? Yeah, I've seen that article before. It's just wishful thinking from whoever wrote it, if I had to be honest.

EDIT: Apologies about the double post, I could of just added the above quote to my above post. My bad.
Well at least the quote from Sakurai sounds legit. And if the other article linked above about the 16 DLC spots is true, plus this fanservice comment from Sakurai, I would Shantae is more likely than ever.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well at least the quote from Sakurai sounds legit. And if the other article linked above about the 16 DLC spots is true, plus this fanservice comment from Sakurai, I would Shantae is more likely than ever.
In-case you were wondering, I meant the article you personally linked, not what your friend saw. That's just to clear any confusion up if you meant that. And if you mean his Fan-service quote, then I suppose you make a point. 16 would be way too much for the man to handle though, tbh.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
No. That tweet doesn't deal with any of the real detraction. It just means that Microsoft is aware there's Banjo-Kazooie demand for Smash.

1) How do we know he ACTUALLY is open to it, and wasn't just doing that to add publicity back to Banjo-Kazooie, just two months before that Rare Replay announcement at E3?

2) If he IS genuine, that means he's open to NEGOTIATING THE CONTRACT. WHICH COULD TAKE TOO LONG TO NEGOTIATE OR COST TOO MUCH FOR NINTENDO TO USE THE CHARACTERS. Remember that debates over :sonic: getting in went over most of Brawl's development cycle?

3) Do you think Banjo-Kazooie is going to make massive enough of an impact in the ballot for Sakurai to debate them as gaming icons on par of :4sonic::4megaman::4ryu::4pacman: or hell even :snake:?

4) Would he see them on that level?

5) Would Sakurai give in to putting them in then when he didn't in Melee at the peak of their popularity?

6) Would they merely be overlooked for similarly ranking first party characters?

Shantae faces basically everything from 3 onwards, too. It's why I support her but don't expect her.
Nintendo did state that any and all characters have a fair chance. So it sounds to me like they're willing to put forth the extra effort to get Banjo in if the demand is there. Phil also said he's willing to negotiate in his tweet. Phil isn't the type of guy to tweet something that isn't true.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Nintendo did state that any and all characters have a fair chance. So it sounds to me like they're willing to put forth the extra effort to get Banjo in if the demand is there. Phil also said he's willing to negotiate in his tweet. Phil isn't the type of guy to tweet something that isn't true.
Just to put it out there.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/
Their support in Japan as of february was below the likes of even Klonoa and Crash Bandicoot for 3rd Parties.
People give Banjo-Kazooie far more probability than I think is granted.
That's all I'm gonna say. I loved the n64 games, the gba one was beyond clunky, and N&B is sad.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Just to put it out there.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/
Their support in Japan as of february was below the likes of even Klonoa and Crash Bandicoot for 3rd Parties.
People give Banjo-Kazooie far more probability than I think is granted.
That's all I'm gonna say. I loved the n64 games, the gba one was beyond clunky, and N&B is sad.
Honestly that list scares me. I just hope the Smash Ballot over here has a lot more votes than it does in Japan.

I also hope they do take the US's opinion into consideration too, rather than just gauging it from Japan alone.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Honestly that list scares me. I just hope the Smash Ballot over here has a lot more votes than it does in Japan.

I also hope they do take the US's opinion into consideration too, rather than just gauging it from Japan alone.
This. This whole "Japan > the West" annoys the hell out of me, if this is going to be a GLOBAL poll of fan request, which the point if this is "for the fans" why the hell would less than half of what makes up the Smash fan base take more priority just because it's their homeland? I would really hope they aren't that damn bias to not consider every vote equal, despite where it's being voted mostly from.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

1) They will take worldwide opinion because it's the first Smash Ballot like thing to be done internationally.
2) By raw population matters we will have more votes.

But here's the thing, look at what there is in common based on our knowledge.

A) Veterans, particularly :wolf::4lucas: & :4feroy: being massive in demand (:popo: & :snake: having their matters to overcome)
B) For A/B tier popularity newcomers, we see K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Dixie, and arguably Paper Mario.
C) This was before Splatoon came out, when Japan was apprehensive on showing support for a game which had yet to come out yet.

We are likely to only see 3-5 characters from the ballot excluding :wolf: if he isn't pre-ballot for some twisted reason. I feel like the popularity disparity in region won't have a massive pull in comparison to what is common.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
1) They will take worldwide opinion because it's the first Smash Ballot like thing to be done internationally.
2) By raw population matters we will have more votes.

But here's the thing, look at what there is in common based on our knowledge.

A) Veterans, particularly :wolf::4lucas: & :4feroy: being massive in demand (:popo: & :snake: having their matters to overcome)
B) For A/B tier popularity newcomers, we see K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Dixie, and arguably Paper Mario.
C) This was before Splatoon came out, when Japan was apprehensive on showing support for a game which had yet to come out yet.

We are likely to only see 3-5 characters from the ballot excluding :wolf: if he isn't pre-ballot for some twisted reason. I feel like the popularity disparity in region won't have a massive pull in comparison to what is common.
Eh; I wish Shantae was within that A/B tier of popularity. She's getting there, though.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
"Since Melee and Brawl"
>Bandana Dee
>Arguably Inklings given international demand
>Rhythm Heaven character skirts the C rank

Woo!
Inkling because New IP over hype, imo.

When did BD happen, though? I thought he was around during Brawl, honestly? Was he?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Meh.... I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually hoping that the Banjo and Kazooie, Issac, and Shantae article rumor is true. I really want it to be real. The guy has a point; I doubt his friend would just lie to him if he actually hated lieing about things.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Inkling because New IP over hype, imo.

When did BD happen, though? I thought he was around during Brawl, honestly? Was he?
Well.
Bandana Dee technically existed in Super Star, but only as the first guy you fought in Megaton Punch.
He first got used for a bigger role in Super Star Ultra, coming out late 2008 (replacing the Arena Dee and having a significant role in the King's Revenge scenario), Brawl coming out early 2009.
Playable? Didn't happen until Return to Dreamland in 2011.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well.
Bandana Dee technically existed in Super Star, but only as the first guy you fought in Megaton Punch.
He first got used for a bigger role in Super Star Ultra, coming out late 2008, Brawl coming out early 2009.
Playable? Didn't happen until Return to Dreamland in 2011.
Ah, I see. Ok then, thanks for point that out. xD

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
At this point, regardless of who we think is or isn't getting in... that doesn't matter. It's a free-for-all at this point. It has been stated by Sakurai the ballot is going to be all about the fanservice..

This means, regardless of any detractions, hate, or whatever for a character, if they have a big presence in the ballot, they will be considered. End of story.

It's why I predicted the likes of K. Rool in my list of 5 characters that could make it. The fanbase for many of these characters is there. (I of course predicted K. Rool, Krystal, another popular first party pick (Isaac, Paper Mario, Inkling, Bandana Dee, Snake.. whoever. The other prominent campaigns) Rayman, Shantae/Shovel Knight... preferably Shantae for me lol XD)

Let me put it in terms that most will understand.

Fan favorite popular character = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There. Do you see what I mean? The whole reason this ballot was started in the first place was for that Paid DLC. Why take a blind guess at what DLC fighters will be purchased and make a profit, when you can just do a massive international poll for it?

If Nintendo REALLY wasn't willing to go through the contracts, and all the other legal stuff related to 3rd party characters? They wouldn't have allowed them to begin with. This would have been a first party exclusive poll....

Yet, it isn't. They stated pretty clearly that "ALL video game characters are eligible for the ballot"..

Literally the ONLY rule in this is the character had to originate from a video game. That's it.

I'm fairly sure whatever ends up being the highest suggestions (that aren't troll characters like Shrek or Goku... whom did "not" originate in Video games), regardless of Party, will be produced.

I also think we'll end up with at least five Ballot characters.

So. I'm going to be going on what the campaigns are like near October. And even then, I'm not making any assumptions.

If this were "really" as limited as people like to make it out to be...

Nintendo wouldn't have even bothered with the ballot. They would have just threw in K. Rool, a few more vets, and called it a day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom