• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Meh.... I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually hoping that the Banjo and Kazooie, Issac, and Shantae article rumor is true. I really want it to be real. The guy has a point; I doubt his friend would just lie to him if he actually hated lieing about things.
I'm hoping too. I'm also hoping Matt Bozon got to talk with either Miyamoto or some other higher up about Shantae, because they did meet at E3.

And I know everyone and their mother has over analyzed Bozon's cryptic tweet saying "see you in Smash ;)" But I'd like to think he's hinting at something.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ah, I see. Ok then, thanks for point that out. xD
Honestly, it's surprising.
Because, if you know Kirby, barring remakes...
A character who isn't :4kirby::4dedede: or :4metaknight: is basically never seen again after a game or two. Not counting boss staples like Whispy, Cracko, or generic enemies. Dark Matter is the closest Kirby's had to a running villain, with the race being the main threat for Dreamland 2, 3, and (6)4.

Bandana Dee? Got brought back out of nowhere, and has been a notable character for SSU, 4th playable for RtD, helper in TD & Rainbow Curse.

HAL's making him a staple and with him being this young but THIS popular? He's THE underdog xD Just a dee with a badass bandana and a spear! Who thought he'd get this popular or last this long?

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I also remember the article @ takai takai is talking about, and sadly that really was nothing more than the author's wishful thinking and contained no proof whatsoever about Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie or Shantae anywhere. IIRC the article was pulled for being pointless.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I also remember the article @ takai takai is talking about, and sadly that really was nothing more than the author's wishful thinking and contained no proof whatsoever about Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie or Shantae anywhere. IIRC the article was pulled for being pointless.
You know, you make a point. Although I didn't see the Polygon article, I guess it would make sense for it being pulled down because of wishful thinking.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Come to think of it, if that list had K. Rool in it to begin with, (assuming if the list had been an actual fake leak, and not just wishful thinking) it probably would be insta-fake anyway without proof...

If there is one thing trolls and fake leaks like to do.. its give leaks for characters people want.. lol.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, if that list had K. Rool in it to begin with, (assuming if the list had been an actual fake leak, and not just wishful thinking) it probably would be insta-fake anyway without proof...

If there is one thing trolls and fake leaks like to do.. its give leaks for characters people want.. lol.
I think Banjo is more of a case of a fake leak classic of giving an unlikely character with high demand.
Banjo-Kazooie are confirmed the new Ridley.

Edit:
Definitely expecting :wolf: but I want to see Sakurai do more newcomers not just :4ryu:.
The way I see it, 3-5 newcomers.
K. Rool at the top for likeliness.
Bandana Dee & Isaac on the tier below that
Inklings, Dixie, & Paper Mario below that.
Krystal & Ray (Custom Robo) below that.
A bit shallow but that's kind of my thinking for the scope of our dlc "likeliness."

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well I've already given my view on Ridley in the past... Despite the butt of the jokes he was in (Seriously... You can't get beyond the amount of meme status the concept of Ridley in smash has gotten), I still understand why fans wanted him so much. He is one of the most notable antagonists in the Metroid series, and arguably of an important role in that series. (I mean he is one of the most recurring bosses in the series for gosh sake).

The downfall of the character, was how it ended up ultimately being viewed..: Just that boss from the Metroid series. A big boss..

In regards to Banjo, I really do find it sad how the only thing held against probably one of the most notable and classic icons of the N64 era, save for the big N's own first parties, is the fact of who owns em..

That's it. It's not that they are 3rd party, or for any other reason. It's hate for the company itself, rather than the characters. (Arguably it is also why Crash and Spyro often get hate right now. It's not the Sony aspect of things... it's the fact that "Activision" of all companies owns them... and honestly I can't blame them for that.)

I guarantee you if Banjo & Kazooie were bought from Microsoft by Nintendo (theoretically speaking), a quarter of the detractors would U-turn and all of a sudden think their the best thing since sliced bread.

So really, most of it is founded on bias.. (Just like with a lot of other 3rd party characters depending on who it is that owns them, and REALLY much so for indies... cause we all know an Indie character getting into Smash bros would be an absolute catastrophe...)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well I've already given my view on Ridley in the past... Despite the butt of the jokes he was in (Seriously... You can't get beyond the amount of meme status the concept of Ridley in smash has gotten), I still understand why fans wanted him so much. He is one of the most notable antagonists in the Metroid series, and arguably of an important role in that series. (I mean he is one of the most recurring bosses in the series for gosh sake).

The downfall of the character, was how it ended up ultimately being viewed..: Just that boss from the Metroid series. A big boss..

In regards to Banjo, I really do find it sad how the only thing held against probably one of the biggest classic icons of the N64 era is the fact of who owns em..

That's it. It's not that they are 3rd party, or for any other reason. It's hate for the company itself, rather than the characters. (Arguably it is also why Crash and Spyro often get hate right now. It's not the Sony aspect of things... it's the fact that "Activision" of all companies owns them... and honestly I can't blame them for that.)

I guarantee you if Banjo & Kazooie were bought from Microsoft by Nintendo (theoretically speaking), a quarter of the detractors would U-turn and all of a sudden think their the best thing since sliced bread.

So really, most of it is founded on bias.. (Just like with a lot of of other 3rd party characters depending on who it is that owns them, and REALLY much for for indies... cause we all know an Indie character getting into Smash bros would be an absolute catastrophe...)
1) Ridley I understood the demand for but scoffed at his chances. Especially after the April Direct.
2) Banjo is ALSO held back by middling support in the east, being 3rd party, and not being massive icons... but Microsoft is what stands out most against them.
3) If they were bought from Microsoft by Nintendo, they'd be 1st Party (again). 1st Party characters go by an entirely different set of rules. We'd be seeing Banjo Threeie by 2020 and them in at worst at Smash 5 if Nintendo bought them back this year.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
To be honest, Smash aside... I must digress

on a personal note, I am really hoping Platonic Games' Yooka-Laylee project ends up being a massive hit.. (For that matter a bit of competition for Microsoft could do some good XD)

Heck. Wouldn't it be ironic if those two ended up becoming the next icons? I mean I don't see why not. Give a few games under their belt, and gather a massive fanbase, (and the fact they will more than likely end up with a colorful moveset pool) and you have yourself a campaign. Of course the only thing holding those two back so far is
1. The fact their game isn't even out yet
2. They are going to be practically brand new characters, only having one game (Sorta might be in a similar boat to Shovel, at least until they get more titles)
3. Their not quite as iconic and note worthy as the original Bear and Bird for fans yet.

That aside.. I honestly do hope we do end up with a plentiful amount of characters, so as many fans can be satisfied as possible.. :/

Edit: Am I the only one that has ever called Shovel Knight, just "Shovel".. just for the sake of shortening the name? XD

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
To be honest, Smash aside... I must digress

on a personal note, I am really hoping Platonic Games' Yooka-Laylee project ends up being a massive hit.. (For that matter a bit of competition for Microsoft could do some good XD)

Heck. Wouldn't it be ironic if those two ended up becoming the next icons? I mean I don't see why not. Give a few games under their belt, and gather a massive fanbase, (and the fact they will more than likely end up with a colorful moveset pool) and you have yourself a campaign. Of course the only thing holding those two back so far is
1. The fact their game isn't even out yet
2. They are going to be practically brand new characters, only having one game (Sorta might be in a similar boat to Shovel, at least until they get more titles)
3. Their not quite as iconic and note worthy as the original Bear and Bird for fans yet.

That aside.. I honestly do hope we do end up with a plentiful amount of characters, so as many fans can be satisfied as possible.. :/

Edit: Am I the only one that has ever called Shovel Knight, just "Shovel".. just for the sake of shortening the name? XD
I call him Butt Butt.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
All that aside, I am definitely going to be grabbing a lot of titles off Steam when I actually have funds to even get anything to begin with! XD

I'll probably be grabbing the other Shantae titles, Shovel Knight, and Freedom Planet.

Is there any particular Steam titles anyone would suggest that are notable/ or similar in genre to the ones I mentioned above?.. (I also have Terraria... What? I really love these sort of games XD)

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
So is anyone else scared that some Shantae games are being ported to other systems? Like Risky's Revenge Director's Cut on PS4. I'm hoping this won't ruin her chances to get in.

I just felt like since all of her games were Nintendo exclusives that you couldn't find anywhere else gave her an edge over other third parties like Shovel Knight.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So is anyone else scared that some Shantae games are being ported to other systems? Like Risky's Revenge Director's Cut on PS4. I'm hoping this won't ruin her chances to get in.

I just felt like since all of her games were Nintendo exclusives that you couldn't find anywhere else gave her an edge over other third parties like Shovel Knight.
Ryu didn't have a single Street Fighter game on the WiiU, he's in.

Snake at the time he was in Brawl, didn't have a Metal Gear Solid game on the Wii, still in.

All of her history on Nintendo consoles won't be forgotten just because some newer Shantae games are covering more ground. It's an indie company right now, it does needs all the help she can get. I'm sure her chances are not harmed by this by the slightest.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

Well want to see one difference?

Shovel Knight: Originated on PC first, with ports to other systems and platforms following

Shantae Games: Have always originated on Nintendo consoles first, with ports to other systems following.
Risky''s Revenge first originated on the DsiWare. Pirates curse for 3DS, then Wii U, and then going to some other platforms
Half-Genie hero will release for the Wii U/3DS first too if I recall.

So basically, regardless of platform, Shantae has always managed to be persistently loyal to releasing on Nintendo consoles first, and then receiving ports for other consoles afterwards.

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
All that aside, I am definitely going to be grabbing a lot of titles off Steam when I actually have funds to even get anything to begin with! XD

I'll probably be grabbing the other Shantae titles, Shovel Knight, and Freedom Planet.

Is there any particular Steam titles anyone would suggest that are notable/ or similar in genre to the ones I mentioned above?.. (I also have Terraria... What? I really love these sort of games XD)
100% orange Juice, if you're in the mood for a weird and addicting game.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Wait... I just realized :4olimar: technically only had two games when he debuted in Brawl.. For Wii U, :4littlemac: Has technically had two as well...

:4shulk:Shulk at the time technically only had one.. (Not counting the remake it got later. I've also heard the sequel coming soon is a Spiritual Sequel..

A few of the retro characters were like that as well... I mean sure the iconic aspect is there, and a lot of those are first parties but... maybe I'm just pulling that number of game titles thing out of fear myself.........

Umm..... Erm... Well- *Gets hit in the head with a Shovel*

...Ok. So maybe even I myself might have been getting a bit detractor-ish when I was taking on Shovel Knight...
I- I mean... why should number of games matter as long as you have a large fanbase, and your game is really successful? (especially since this ballot is going to be all about the fanservice..) I've also noticed his moveset pool is fairly decent too...

....Awwww. Dang it. I did the exact thing I didn't want to do >_<.. (Just call me Detractor Knight I guess. lolz)

*Sighs*... Ok. So maybe Shovel Knight could make for a promising Smash character... I would just really prefer a certain half-genie with more history with Nintendo, to at "least" get in first... (assuming Shovel were to be a thing to begin with.)

I mean.. I guess it wouldn't be all that bad to have two cool indie characters in the game ^_^... lol (Assuming it ever happened in the first place.. lol :/)

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm tired. I read that as Putt Putt.

Now there is a worthy Smash Ballot candidate if I ever saw one. I mean look at the lack of car representation we have in that game. Clearly the best option. Forget Goku and Shrek. This is where it's at dudes.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Wait... I just realized :4olimar: technically only had two games when he debuted in Brawl.. :4littlemac: Has technically had two as well...

:4shulk:Shulk at the time technically only had one.. (Not counting the remake it got later. I've also heard the sequel coming soon is a Spiritual Sequel..

A few of the retro characters were like that as well... I mean sure the iconic aspect is there, and a lot of those are first parties but... maybe I'm just pulling that number of game titles thing out of fear myself.........

...Ok. So maybe even I myself might have been getting a bit detractor-ish when I was taking on Shovel Knight...
I- I mean... why should number of games matter as long as you have a large fanbase, and your game is really successful? (especially since this ballot is going to be all about the fanservice..) I've also noticed his moveset pool is fairly decent too...

....Awwww. Dang it. I did the exact thing I didn't want to do >_<.. (Just call me Detractor Knight I guess. lolz)

*Sighs*... Ok. So maybe Shovel Knight could make for a promising Smash character... I would just really prefer a certain half-genie with more history with Nintendo, to at "least" get in first... (assuming Shovel were to be a thing to begin with.)

I mean.. I guess it wouldn't be all that bad to have two cool indie characters in the game ^_^... lol (Assuming it ever happened in the first place.. lol :/)

It would be nice to see both Shantae & Shovel make it in.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wait... I just realized :4olimar: technically only had two games when he debuted in Brawl.. For Wii U, :4littlemac: Has technically had two as well...

1) ":4littlemac: Has technically had two as well..."

No.
Not even close.

Arcade, NES, SNES, and Wii. That's OFF MEMORY.

2) ":4shulk:Shulk at the time technically only had one.. (Not counting the remake it got later. I've also heard the sequel coming soon is a Spiritual Sequel.."

:pikachu64::jigglypuff64: really only had one. :pit: gets treated like he only had one because even Sakurai didn't know that Myths & Monsters happened when he made uprising. :falcon64: I THINK only had the SNES game at the time.

And Xenoblade Chronicles X is a sequel. Same engine, but it's a colonization that directly ties into the backstory of Bionis & Mechonis revealed at the end of Chronicles that makes a direct sequel kind of difficult to manage.

Monolith soft did the same thing with XenoGears and Saga sequels iirc.

It's like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy, the sequels are different tales, different locations, different characters, but the gameplay and basal principles still in fact.

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
:wolf: is the only other veteran we'll be seeing as DLC.

Take my word for it.
I hope you're wrong, because i just played Brawl yesterday and remembered the beauty of 0-Death combos

Burruni

Smash Hero
I hope you're wrong, because i just played Brawl yesterday and remembered the beauty of 0-Death combos
I WANT Icies back.
I'd sell off :4darkpit::4lucina::4lucas::4feroy::wolf: easy for em.
But I don't see them coming back in Smash 4 unless Sakurai guts them of the mechanic he chose them to embody and are known for which goes against basically everything we know about him.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
:wolf: is the only other veteran we'll be seeing as DLC.

Take my word for it.
:snake: Will also return. Take my words. And maybe :popo:, but they will surely be the last.
For the rest, it surely going to be Newcomers.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I sure hope All veterans are considered pre-ballot.. I wantas many NEW characters I we can get.. including Shantae :)

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
After contemplating some things about this interview with Sakurai, I think I've come to understand Sakurai's reasons behind the Fighter Ballot.

"There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We've received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

"From now until the end, it is going to be fan service, but I can't keep the development team together forever, so there's only going to be several more characters. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content."

We've gotten several characters before the ballot had a chance to influence them, so it can only mean that Sakurai and Nintendo have been poking around to see who's popular outside of the votes. As unpredictable and backtracky as Sakurai can be at times, it's hard to deny that he's in touch with the fanbase's wants and needs when it comes to DLC; he's right that :4mewtwo:, :4lucas: and :4feroy: were highly requested, and while :4ryu: was a bit of a reach, it's clear that he was something the fans didn't even know they wanted until they had it. And Sakurai has given no indication that he's stopping with these four, and with the time left until the ballot end date we could easily see some more surprises.

So the obvious question is, "If they're already making fan-requested characters anyway, then what's even the point of the ballot?" And the simple answer is: so they can see who they missed. A ballot or an info-gathering session will only yield so much information on their own, so Sakurai is doing both; he probably did a lot of investigating on fan-requested characters before launching the ballot, giving himself and the dev team some fanservice to work on while also giving the fans an outlet for their hopes and dreams.

Character you wanted is revealed before the ballot ends? Everything goes better than expected. No? You can still vote in the ballot to try and make it a reality. Sure, there's going to be a fair amount of votes wasted, but this is still probably the best possible approach to making good fan-requested DLC in a limited amount of time.

This is why I'm happy to see support for characters that isn't just "VOTE NOW" but actually have some reasoning and effort put into them. Whether you love or hate Shantae, she's a good example of this with the gentle nudges from WayForward and the sheer number of videos and supporters she's been receiving up to now from when the ballot started. You never know, Sakurai and Nintendo might've noticed!

I WANT Icies back.
But I don't see them coming back in Smash 4 unless Sakurai guts them of the mechanic he chose them to embody and are known for which goes against basically everything we know about him.
As much as I've love to have my Melee mains back, I don't think I'd be very happy if they were brought back without the duality they're known and loved for. If I were given the choice between seeing the Ice Climbers watered down or not having them at all, then I'd rather not have them at all tbqh.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
I WANT Icies back.
I always thought about Icies being solo, but summoning the other one for their specials, so the synergy moves like Squall and Belay can stay true, but you can't do ridiculous combos. Then their final smash could be traditional Icies with wobbling… hehe

Burruni

Smash Hero
I always thought about Icies being solo, but summoning the other one for their specials, so the synergy moves like Squall and Belay can stay true, but you can't do ridiculous combos. Then their final smash could be traditional Icies with wobbling… hehe
COULD they be done that way? Yes.
But that removes the core of their playstyle, if Sakurai wouldn't make Ridley playable off the point that he'd no longer be Ridley... losing his intimidation, I just don't see an overhaul of that nature.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
1) ":4littlemac: Has technically had two as well..."

No.
Not even close.

Arcade, NES, SNES, and Wii. That's OFF MEMORY.

2) ":4shulk:Shulk at the time technically only had one.. (Not counting the remake it got later. I've also heard the sequel coming soon is a Spiritual Sequel.."

:pikachu64::jigglypuff64: really only had one. :pit: gets treated like he only had one because even Sakurai didn't know that Myths & Monsters happened when he made uprising. :falcon64: I THINK only had the SNES game at the time.

And Xenoblade Chronicles X is a sequel. Same engine, but it's a colonization that directly ties into the backstory of Bionis & Mechonis revealed at the end of Chronicles that makes a direct sequel kind of difficult to manage.

Monolith soft did the same thing with XenoGears and Saga sequels iirc.

It's like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy, the sequels are different tales, different locations, different characters, but the gameplay and basal principles still in fact.
Hm... I'll take the error on the first one. I probably assumed as the first one and the Wii one had been the only ones shown on his trophy... I forgot a lot of trophies ignore some titles though.. lol

The point I was trying to make was, we usually judge a lot of franchises by the amount of entries they have... which is understandable, but if that were considered, quite a few characters that have only had a hand full of titles wouldn't even be in the game to begin with.. lol XD.

Anyways. Reading into things, it's not looking like Shovel Knight is even going to get a sequel anytime soon. From what I've read up on it the Devs still have a bunch of free content updates planned before they even consider it.

As for Ice Climbers.. at this point, it is either split up, or not in at all. The 3DS limitations, which were the very thing that got them cut in the first place, are still there regardless of the ballot... If they can't be split, they won't be coming back at all. We probably won't see these guys again until Smash 5.. :/

Errm.... um... What would this character even be called? Shantovelbeck? Shantoveleck?.... Shan- *Logic circuits fry*

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I love Rongs stuff.

Hm... I'll take the error on the first one. I probably assumed as the first one and the Wii one had been the only ones shown on his trophy... I forgot a lot of trophies ignore some titles though.. lol

The point I was trying to make was, we usually judge a lot of franchises by the amount of entries they have... which is understandable, but if that were considered, quite a few characters that have only had a hand full of titles wouldn't even be in the game to begin with.. lol XD.

Anyways. Reading into things, it's not looking like Shovel Knight is even going to get a sequel anytime soon. From what I've read up on it the Devs still have a bunch of free content updates planned before they even consider it.

As for Ice Climbers.. at this point, it is either split up, or not in at all. The 3DS limitations, which were the very thing that got them cut in the first place, are still there regardless of the ballot... If they can't be split, they won't be coming back at all. We probably won't see these guys again until Smash 5.. :/

Errm.... um... What would this character even be called? Shantovelbeck? Shantoveleck?.... Shan- *Logic circuits fry*
Ok then... interesting combo...

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Well want to see one difference?

Shovel Knight: Originated on PC first, with ports to other systems and platforms following

Shantae Games: Have always originated on Nintendo consoles first, with ports to other systems following.
Risky''s Revenge first originated on the DsiWare. Pirates curse for 3DS, then Wii U, and then going to some other platforms
Half-Genie hero will release for the Wii U/3DS first too if I recall.

So basically, regardless of platform, Shantae has always managed to be persistently loyal to releasing on Nintendo consoles first, and then receiving ports for other consoles afterwards.
Not to mention Shovel Knight has guest boss battles on each console except the Wii U. And yet people think he deserves to be in more than Shantae.:facepalm:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Not to mention Shovel Knight has guest boss battles on each console except the Wii U. And yet people think he deserves to be in more than Shantae.:facepalm:
Well so far at least... One should bare in mind this game is getting free content DLC. So that said, we don't know if they might do a deal with Nintendo to let Shovel fight a Nintendo character as a boss...

At this point after looking into the character, I could see him getting in. I would just really prefer Shantae. Would be even better if they both got in... doubt that would happen but you know XD

That in mind, who do you think it would be that would be the boss? Meta Knight maybe?

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well so far at least... One should bare in mind this game is getting free content DLC. So that said, we don't know if they might do a deal with Nintendo to let Shovel fight a Nintendo character as a boss...

At this point after looking into the character, I could see him getting in. I would just really prefer Shantae. Would be even better if they both got in... doubt that would happen but you know XD

That in mind, who do you think it would be that would be the boss? Meta Knight maybe?
Didn't that already happened before? I'm pretty sure I've already seen footage of Meta-knight as a boss in Shovel Knight somewhere?

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Hmm... I'm not sure. I haven't seen any footage on it.
I think I remember now, I haven't checked this video to make sure, but I think the guy in this vidoe with Johnny just brought up the idea for speculation reasons.

Basically I think that idea was brought up before, is my point.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Are there any Indie characters you all consider could make it before Shantae? (aside from Shovel Knight)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Are there any Indie characters you all consider could make it before Shantae? (aside from Shovel Knight)
Honestly, no. Shovel Knight really only has an "edge" due to his earlier lead thanks to his Smashified image. This is just my opinion, however.

Last edited:
Top Bottom