• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Two more recent propaganda videos. Glad to see the train is still rolling.

Important note about the second one: this is from a Let's Player intending to run through the entire Shantae series right through to the Fighter Ballot end date, kinda clever actually. If anyone wants her as a DLC fighter but can't get into the series themselves, it might be worth checking out.
That was like the best trailer idea I seen for her ever.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Oh guys... I know this is kinda off topic, but I just thought of something..

As we know, this is what we know of the NX so far:

-It's a new console in development

-It is NOT intended to replace either the Wii U, or 3DS lines..
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-s-new-console-nx-is-not-a-simple-replacem/1100-6427326/

-It is NOT mobile/android based.. Fans speculated this, but the devs promptly shut it down..
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/02/nintendo-says-the-nx-wont-use-android/

Iwata mentions this thing is a dedicated video game platform.. yet it isn't intended to replace either of their main consoles lines...

Of course, that leaves the question: What the heck is it then? XD

Well... after pondering it for awhile.. I think something just clicked for me...

...What if Nintendo is making a new platform, that is Indie devoted?....

When you think about it, indie devs don't really technically "have" a dedicated platform to work on.. I mean you could argue that is the PC, but that is mostly due to Valve's Steam.. and that primarily works as a library. So far there hasn't been a dedicated console that is FULLY dedicated to indie developers. The big devs let them port the games to their consoles.. however they are still limited in the fact that their is often big quality control, and mostly successful indies are allowed to pop into their consoles... (Like Terraria, Shovel Knight, and the likes of that..)

If Nintendo created an Indie devoted platform.. it would be a game changer. It would make indie titles more accessible and up front to the public.. Since it would be indie devoted, they could be more loose on what titles they let work for the console. More indie titles would be present on it in general than what you see from the competition. There would still be quality control mind you, as Nintendo is still Nintendo. Hey... maybe they could even give the devs a shot at making side titles for some of Nintendo's big name IPs?.. (if they had the stuff for it that is XD)

Considering how some franchises don't always get to be in the spotlight on the main consoles... Perhaps they could get the attention they deserve on that new theoretical console as well? It would also explain why they are planning on making a Metroid title on the NX..

Of course, all that said, it mostly a BIG LONG SHOT... It all really depends on what they are actually planning over there... but hey. Nintendo has done some innovative and crazy stunts before.. So I definitely wouldn't put it past em.. Heck it's also the only reason I can think of for Nintendo to be making a THIRD console line.. (especially considering their Main home console line had been recovering from a bad start a few years ago..)

But hey, that's just a theory! A GAME (Developer?) THEORY! Thanks for reading! (..I've always wanted to say that XD)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Oh guys... I know this is kinda off topic, but I just thought of something..

As we know, this is what we know of the NX so far:

-It's a new console in development

-It is NOT intended to replace either the Wii U, or 3DS lines..
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-s-new-console-nx-is-not-a-simple-replacem/1100-6427326/

-It is NOT mobile/android based.. Fans speculated this, but the devs promptly shut it down..
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/02/nintendo-says-the-nx-wont-use-android/

Iwata mentions this thing is a dedicated video game platform.. yet it isn't intended to replace either of their main consoles lines...

Of course, that leaves the question: What the heck is it then? XD

Well... after pondering it for awhile.. I think something just clicked for me...

...What if Nintendo is making a new platform, that is Indie devoted?....

When you think about it, indie devs don't really technically "have" a dedicated platform to work on.. I mean you could argue that is the PC, but that is mostly due to Valve's Steam.. and that primarily works as a library. So far there hasn't been a dedicated console that is FULLY dedicated to indie developers. The big devs let them port the games to their consoles.. however they are still limited in the fact that their is often big quality control, and mostly successful indies are allowed to pop into their consoles... (Like Terraria, Shovel Knight, and the likes of that..)

If Nintendo created an Indie devoted platform.. it would be a game changer. It would make indie titles more accessible and up front to the public.. Since it would be indie devoted, they could be more loose on what titles they let work for the console. More indie titles would be present on it in general than what you see from the competition. There would still be quality control mind you, as Nintendo is still Nintendo. Hey... maybe they could even give the devs a shot at making side titles for some of Nintendo's big name IPs?.. (if they had the stuff for it that is XD)

Considering how some franchises don't always get to be in the spotlight on the main consoles... Perhaps they could get the attention they deserve on that new theoretical console as well? It would also explain why they are planning on making a Metroid title on the NX..

Of course, all that said, it mostly a BIG LONG SHOT... It all really depends on what they are actually planning over there... but hey. Nintendo has done some innovative and crazy stunts before.. So I definitely wouldn't put it past em.. Heck it's also the only reason I can think of for Nintendo to be making a THIRD console line.. (especially considering their Main home console line had been recovering from a bad start a few years ago..)

But hey, that's just a theory! A GAME (Developer?) THEORY! Thanks for reading! (..I've always wanted to say that XD)
One more thing to note.
Nintendo isn't ready to TALK about it until 2016, which likely means 2017 is the earliest we could see it coming out.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
One more thing to note.
Nintendo isn't ready to TALK about it until 2016, which likely means 2017 is the earliest we could see it coming out.
Yep. The NX has definitely been one of their most secretive projects so far... They haven't said much on it save for what I mentioned in the post above before I went into the theory.

Another thing I realized... it also would make since why Metroid (at least in terms of prime) would be moving over to it.

As I mentioned, Metroid has been in a dormancy period of five years... Eight if you count Prime. Save for Federation Force, it's been kinda quiet.

Maybe thats just because of some of their larger, more successful franchises? I mean we see tons of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon on the main consoles... and why wouldn't we? It's some of the most successful franchises they have. It's hard to find the time to set up a team, and set the resources for a franchise when you have larger ones developing right? So that said, maybe Franchises like Metroid are just getting swamped by their bigger more successful brothers and sisters...

In terms of the NX, some of these franchises moving over to it from time to time would make sense. Especially if things weren't going so hot on the main consoles.. They would be fairly well known names themselves, and help carry the NX, as Indies start to accumulate on the platform.

Lets not forget about the fact there might not even be another proper Prime game until the NX.. and the developers have stated it is due to, you guessed it... resources and getting together a team..:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...-game-not-likely-until-nintendos-next-console

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console. Truth be told, making HD games takes a lot of time and resources. I haven't been able to collect a team or the resources to do it."

This was stated by series producer Kensuke Tanabe...

I mean again, I might be way off. I might just be overthinking things... (I do like to look into the details after all... and I love making theories XD). I just thought I would share some of this, as I haven't seen a theory like this brought up anywhere else yet... so I thought why not?

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
The NX will replace the WiiU, mark my word. Nintendo just doesn't want to say it to avoid hampering the sales of the WiiU for now.

There's a reason why Nintendo had such a crappy E3... all of the long-awaited titles are in development for a console they are trying to keep under wraps.

NXがWiiUをかわる。俺はせいしいです。任天堂はWiiUを売りたいです。だからこそ、その物事言いたくはない。

欲しいゲームはNXのために生産です。だからこそ、任天堂のE3はかわいそうでした。

Burruni

Smash Hero
The NX will replace the WiiU, mark my word. Nintendo just doesn't want to say it to avoid hampering the sales of the WiiU for now.

There's a reason why Nintendo had such a crappy E3... all of the long-awaited titles are in development for a console they are trying to keep under wraps.

NXがWiiUをかわる。俺はせいしいです。任天堂はWiiUを売りたいです。だからこそ、その物事言いたくはない。

欲しいゲームはNXのために生産です。だからこそ、任天堂のE3はかわいそうでした。
I don't think the NX is PLANNED to replace the WiiU but will end up doing so.

Like the DS.

AND CLOSE YA DARN SPOILER THINGS OR ELSE PEOPLE'S ENTIRE REPLIES WILL GET CAUGHT IN IT.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I don't think the NX is PLANNED to replace the WiiU but will end up doing so.

Like the DS.
Yep. And right now, none of us can exactly see into the future... They may end up replacing it. Then again, what would stop them from just extending the Wii U's shelf life in general? To give it more time?..

It's just too early to say anything for sure.

Like the DS? Exactly. The replacement is planned all right. :p
And no, the DS line's replacing of the Gameboy line was NOT planned...

It was originally intended to be a companion to the Gameboy line, but ended up replacing it due to proving so popular over the Gameboy line.. (which had been doing fine..)..

So yeah. It did replace it, but it was far from intended, or planned.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Getting more on topic again...

Am I the only one that thinks Shantae would probably DOMINATE on an indie devoted gaming console?...

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
And no, the DS line's replacing of the Gameboy line was NOT planned...

It was originally intended to be a companion to the Gameboy line, but ended up replacing it due to proving so popular over the Gameboy line.. (which had been doing fine..)..
The DS was never PLANNED to replace the GameBoy line of handhelds is what I mean...
Officially, yes...

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
We COULD see a repeat.
We may not.
That was kinda my point... that there IS a precedent.
Yep. Regardless of the conspiracies we can go into in regards to the equation going from Gameboy + DS to Gameboy < DS, and whether or not the Wii U and NX could possibly repeat that, the fact of the matter is we do not know. We can't see into the future, and won't know until a few years from now... Heck the NX hasn't even been fully TALKED ABOUT for crying out loud XD

Last edited:

Atown1z

Smash Rookie
Yo, you can complain what you want as a Metroid fan.

But there are two major series present in Smash you can't argue you're worst than.

:4ness::4lucas: an officially dead series because the man who created you and the writer of your story-heavy rpgs has said he's done.
At least you don't need to worry about something similar to Other M happening to this series. It ended on a high note, which is better than many books, movies, TV shows, and games can ever say.

Atown1z

Smash Rookie
Miyamoto: We're waiting to make a new F-Zero game for when our controllers work well for it, because the Wii doesn't.
>NintendoLand F-Zero attraction
>Blue Falcon & 2 F-Zero tracks on 200cc MK8 WITH NO :4falcon:DLC DESPITE :4link::4villager: AND ISABELLE GETTING IN.
It still baffles me that we didn't get him as a playable character when we got two stages and his iconic racer.

Atown1z

Smash Rookie
But to get back on topic, what do you guys think they would pick for Shantae's specials? Do you think they would focus on Pirate's Curse's weapons or the first 2 and the new one's transformations or a combination of both?

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
But to get back on topic, what do you guys think they would pick for Shantae's specials? Do you think they would focus on Pirate's Curse's weapons or the first 2 and the new one's transformations or a combination of both?
Well, if I knew a bit more of the series, still haven't gotten to play them other than the first one on an emulator, but from what I saw from the recent Pirate's Curse, all of the power ups looks perfect for her to use in Smash in some way. The Risky's Canon one would be funny to see as her Up Special.

Also, watch the triple posting there. Please use the edit button and refrain from posting more than once until someone else post afterwards.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Spoilers for Pirate's Curse.
I loved that bit were Shantae tried to help the guy bring his wife back, but ended up turning him into stone like his wife. I love humor like that.

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
i would love if the neutral B did transformations and stuff but because of the 3ds limiting that it would have to be Riskys pistol from pirates curse.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
i would love if the neutral B did transformations and stuff but because of the 3ds limiting that it would have to be Riskys pistol from pirates curse.
Well to be fair, if it was just using the "animal transformations" for moves... like where she changes to an Elephant for her dash attack for example it could work. It's mostly FULL transformations the 3DS can't handle.. like completely swapping out for a new moveset for example.. like changing the character entirely

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
We COULD see a repeat.
We may not.
That was kinda my point... that there IS a precedent.
And my point is that there is no precedent that we can actually confirm for certain...
Yep. Regardless of the conspiracies we can go into in regards to the equation going from Gameboy + DS to Gameboy < DS, and whether or not the Wii U and NX could possibly repeat that, the fact of the matter is we do not know. We can't see into the future, and won't know until a few years from now... Heck the NX hasn't even been fully TALKED ABOUT for crying out loud XD
...which is why I keep guessing.

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
Well to be fair, if it was just using the "animal transformations" for moves... like where she changes to an Elephant for her dash attack for example it could work. It's mostly FULL transformations the 3DS can't handle.. like completely swapping out for a new moveset for example.. like changing the character entirely
I never thought of it that way though i wonder if she will have dance at super sonic speeds to get a attack in, like rank A at the dance parlor

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I never thought of it that way though i wonder if she will have dance at super sonic speeds to get a attack in, like rank A at the dance parlor
Imagine if Shantae could use different dance combinations to use different B attacks... Sorta like how Ryu can use the combos from the original Street fighter..

Doubt they would take the time to do that, but it would be cool :/...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well, imo, not every single thing has to be to "accurate portrayal" *coughSakuraicough*, cause I'm pretty sure Zelda doesn't spawn Darknuts in Twilight princess.

So I think her transitioning into her animal powers can just be with like a poof of smoke or something to that effect.

Last edited:

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
Imagine if Shantae could use different dance combinations to use different B attacks... Sorta like how Ryu can use the combos from the original Street fighter..

Doubt they would take the time to do that, but it would be cool :/...
That is genius....... inputs just like the first two games.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, imo, not every single thing has to be to "accurate portrayal" *coughSakuraicough*, cause I'm pretty sure Zelda doesn't spawn Darknuts in Twilight princess.

So I think her transitioning into her animal powers can just be with like a poof of smoke or something to that effect.
Those are Phantoms.
Not Dark Nuts
Play dem DS games :^)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Those are Phantoms.
Not Dark Nuts
Play dem DS games :^)
Meh, close enough.

It's still not something she does in Twilight Princess, from which her design follows. That would have been more up Toon Zelda's alley , give or take.

Also, screw the original DS. :p

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Meh, close enough.

It's still not something she does in Twilight Princess, from which her design follows. That would have been more up Toon Zelda's alley , give or take.

Also, screw the original DS. :p
Well.
Toon Zelda
Is still Zelda.
Just a motley of the abilities.
You'd moreso have the ability to argue HOW SHE NEVER USED DIN'S FIRE, NAYRU'S LOVE, OR FAERORE'S WIND.
But nah, sakurai takes liberties.
And we get more awesome fighters out of it in most cases.

Then again I love me some ThunderCougarFalconDorf.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well.
Toon Zelda
Is still Zelda.
Just a motley of the abilities.
You'd moreso have the ability to argue HOW SHE NEVER USED DIN'S FIRE, NAYRU'S LOVE, OR FAERORE'S WIND.
But nah, sakurai takes liberties.
And we get more awesome fighters out of it in most cases.

Then again I love me some ThunderCougarFalconDorf.
Well, I guess we could argue using that good old "Older Link and "Younger Link" philosophy that Twilight Princess Zelda represents Older Zelda, for whom was the one with said abilities, while Younger Zelda had not. And while Toon Zelda, being the "Younger Zelda" only had the Phantom Knight thing going on with her, and which an Older Zelda never had.

So by that point, I still have the right. :p But point is, we don't have to make everything one to one for Shantae's moveset, like any other character seem to have that case.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well, I guess we could argue using that good old "Older Link and "Younger Link" philosophy that Twilight Princess Zelda represents Older Zelda, for whom was the one with said abilities, while Younger Zelda had not. And while Toon Zelda, being the "Younger Zelda" only had the Phantom Knight thing going on with her, and which an Older Zelda never had.

So by that point, I still have the right. :p But point is, we don't have to make everything one to one for Shantae's moveset, like any other character seem to have that case.
Yep. Of course I'm pretty sure also We've never seen Bowser turn into Giga Bowser in the Mario series...

Of course if he did, he probably could have taken over the Mushroom kingdom by now... XD

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Yo.
You weren't 5 year old me accidentally encountering Giga Bowser for the first time and having nightmares about it.
Wait, you mean in Smash Bros, right? ...You're young as hell. :p But even at the age of like, 12, I still sh*t myself seeing...that thing, in Melee for the first time. xD

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Hey! More support! WHOO SUPPORT.

But on a serious note, I don't think Shantae can be made accurately to her game(s), because she would be completely broken.

Three jumps/recoveries that have hitboxes below her, fireballs, a crazy high-priority elephant dash attack, reflects on all her weave hair based attacks, ridiculous range, and the most awesome standing animation of all time.

They'll probably go with a less literal interpretation of her abilities, like the super popular fan made move set.

Because of this, they might go Pac-Man and make her smash attacks be based off of Pirates Curse, and her specials be based off of Shantae

What do you guys think they'll do with her move set?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey! More support! WHOO SUPPORT.

But on a serious note, I don't think Shantae can be made accurately to her game(s), because she would be completely broken.

Three jumps/recoveries that have hitboxes below her, fireballs, a crazy high-priority elephant dash attack, reflects on all her weave hair based attacks, ridiculous range, and the most awesome standing animation of all time.

They'll probably go with a less literal interpretation of her abilities, like the super popular fan made move set.

Because of this, they might go Pac-Man and make her smash attacks be based off of Pirates Curse, and her specials be based off of Shantae

What do you guys think they'll do with her move set?
I could see transformations being used, in actual combat, very very limitedly. Harpy as a :4olimar:/:4villager: styled recovery.
Elephant as a ground pound down air.

I see her spells like the storm puff, pike balls, and spit fire ending up being a fair bit for her specials. The pirate items ending up being that up smash, dash attack, hat for up air, and cannon for a B-air like :4rob:'s.
Most of the rest namely working with her known hair abilities, like many suggest with Dixie.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I was thinking her transformation stuff could work sorta like Ryu's combo system.. but a bit different. Basically her transformations would be her B specials, and what she transforms into depends on the combination (as a somewhat indirect throwback to her dances)

Sorta like... looking at Side B for example (These are just examples, so don't take these too seriously XD):

Regular side B: Transforms into her monkey forms and lunges herself toward the enemy into a grab, similar to how Diddy's works (Who's doing the HOO HAH NOW!?)

Side B + Down: goes into a unstoppable stampede, and will ram into any opponent in her path

Side B + Up: Transforms into a Harpy and fires feathers at the enemy (I know this doesn't actually happen but come on XD)

It of course couldn't stop there either. Other combinations could be possible to cceess more advanced moves.

Example:

Side B + Up + Side: Transforms into a Tinkerbat, brandishes a cutlass, and swings above her in an arch

Up B + Side + Down: Transforms into her Pillbug form, and can do a form of roll out attack

These are all just some examples of the stuff that could be done.

Other standard attacks could use her pirate gear and hair attacks

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
I've always thought her transformations could be part of her smash attacks and the charge up could be her dancing.

Top Bottom