• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Basically put, Shantae's campaign is going to have to rise from now until October. As I must unfortunately say also, Shovel Knight is definitely a threat now.. (Though he doesn't have many titles, and under normal circumstances wouldn't make sense yet (being too young)... since this is all about the fan service... considering how popular the fellow is for some reason, we shouldn't let our guard down around him like we had previously been doing..)

The Smashified helped. and we are going to need to use that to spread the character as much as possible.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Would be glad if you showed support for Shantae, heck maybe you can even try her games on 3DS/Wii U.:)
Sure. The Inkling didn't quite fit right in my signature anyway.

I'll be sure to give a Shantae game a chance when I can afford to get one.

I can see it now, Dixie and Shantae announced on July 7th (World Ponytail Day). And there'd be much rejoicing.

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Man, I've never even played a Shantae game but I'm really coming around to supporting her as a fighter
Shantae's just a likable character, I think that's the biggest thing going for her. I got Shantae: Risky's Revenge on Steam, didn't care for the game that much, but I just loved the whole cast of characters.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
thats so awful! id rather have a character i dont want like Ridley or at least a character from rhythm heaven for the first party troll character
To be fair, Ridley isn't a troll character. He's just the butt of A LOT of jokes.

A lot of Metroid fans actually wanted to see him. Not a surprise when you consider he is technically one of the most prominent and most important villains to Samus in the series. The campaign was also extremely large. (No pun intended here.. lolz)

The issue came from the fact the character received MANY detractors. (Probably the most drag any character has gotten in the history of Smash campaigns to be honest..) One of the most common detractions being "He is too big!"

To be perfectly honest, I have always viewed it as just hate for the character, and fear that he could get in over <insert character here>. I'm sure there were some that actually had good reasons to not think he should be a thing, but most were unfounded, and consisted primarily of parrots. What makes matters worse, is Sakurai ultimately, in the end, Sided with the detractors... it is the reason why he is the weird stage hazard in the Wii U version we know today... (He and his team tried to make him work. However he felt like if he shrunk him down he wouldn't "be Ridley" anymore... in my opinion that just stems from the fact most see him as "that boss from metroid"..)

Maybe someday Ridley could finally get in when he is no longer viewed as "just another boss from Metroid", or he gets more character...

Really, troll characters are characters that people don't really want, they just frequently mention them as suggestions to mess with people.

Last edited:

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
To be fair, Ridley isn't a troll character. He's just the butt of A LOT of jokes.

A lot of Metroid fans actually wanted to see him. Not a surprise when you consider he is technically one of the most prominent and most important villains to Samus in the series. The campaign was also extremely large. (No pun intended here.. lolz)

The issue came from the fact the character received MANY detractors. (Probably the most drag any character has gotten in the history of Smash campaigns to be honest..) One of the most common detractions being "He is too big!"

To be perfectly honest, I have always viewed it as just hate for the character, and fear that he could get in over <insert character here>. I'm sure there were some that actually had good reasons to not think he should be a thing, but most were unfounded, and consisted primarily of parrots. What makes matters worse, is Sakurai ultimately, in the end, Sided with the detractors... it is the reason why he is the weird stage hazard in the Wii U version we know today... (He and his team tried to make him work. However he felt like if he shrunk him down he wouldn't "be Ridley" anymore... in my opinion that just stems from the fact most see him as "that boss from metroid"..)

Maybe someday Ridley could finally get in when he is no longer viewed as "just another boss from Metroid", or he gets more character...

Really, troll characters are characters that people don't really want, they just frequently mention them as suggestions to mess with people.
to be honest i wouldn't mind if Ridley got in as a fighter, the only reason i dont is because of the size change he would have to go through like you said he really wouldn't be Ridley anymore

D

Deleted member

Not to mention some of the people who wanted Ridley playable were Metroid fans who just desired to see their favorite franchise getting a bit more spotlight after the Other M discord, and instead were teased for over a whole year for an unpolished hazard and then for getting bashed non-stop by anti-Ridley ***holes abusing tear-drinking jokes, and now with Nintendo with the whole FF fiasco and deconfirmation for a Metroid Prime game for Wii U, and instead milks even more the Zelda franchise with Four Sword rip-off and Prostitution Warriors.

It's painful to be a Metroid fan nowadays. *sighs*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm pissed about Metroid, but why 'prostitution warriors?'
Not to mention some of the people who wanted Ridley playable were Metroid fans who just desired to see their favorite franchise getting a bit more spotlight after the Other M discord, and instead were teased for over a whole year for an unpolished hazard and then for getting bashed non-stop by anti-Ridley ***holes abusing tear-drinking jokes, and now with Nintendo with the whole FF fiasco and deconfirmation for a Metroid Prime game for Wii U, and instead milks even more the Zelda franchise with Four Sword rip-off and Prostitution Warriors.

D

Deleted member

I'm pissed about Metroid, but why 'prostitution warriors?'
Because, in my eyes, Hyrule Warriors is no more less than the Dynasty Warrior franchise being so desperate it was constrainted to get prostituted to the Zelda franchise for getting more sold.

And that's why I ethically cannot play it, it disgusts me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because, in my eyes, Hyrule Warriors is no more less than the Dynasty Warrior franchise being so desperate it was constrainted to get prostituted to the Zelda franchise for getting more sold.

And that's why I ethically cannot play it, it disgusts me.
It got some Zelda mechanics, but yeah, they even said it's supposed to be a DW clone.
Fun fact, prostitution is legal in my country

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
In all honesty Zelda is much better off than Metroid at the moment. No matter how you look at Hyrule warriors, whether you love it to death or hate it with a passion... it's only a spinoff. For that matter Zelda has had a plathora of titles to cushion itself, so most fans don't go as crazy over it. Plus a Zelda Wii U game is at least due soon.

Unlike Metroid, which releases titles much more slowly, is prone to more long droughts, and the usual irritating issues... It's the main, and really only reason the Federation Force spinoff was met with such hate. If the series had more great main titles coming out more frequently, it wouldn't be a problem.. At least to me.

Anyway, heading out again. see ya later guys...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So I just started Pirate's Curse, I haven't played much, but I like what I'm playing. I love that the character portraits stick-out when the 3D is on.

One question though, I heard you have to collect all the Dark Magic for the best ending, is finding them going to be pain?

Burruni

Smash Hero
So I just started Pirate's Curse, I haven't played much, but I like what I'm playing. I love that the character portraits stick-out when the 3D is on.

One question though, I heard you have to collect all the Dark Magic for the best ending, is finding them going to be pain?
Ehhhh
It's a bit better than the Magic Jams in RR, at least Pirate's curse tells you HOW MANY CACKLEBATS YOU HAVE TO FIND ON EACH ISLAND

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

Gonna state 3 things
  1. Metroid isn't has bad as a lot of franchises.Infact a lot of franchises would love to be in metroids spot.The odds of us getting another advance wars,sin & punishment,golden sun,or any other not C nintendo franchise is so small.People complain because they got a spin-off and i like to mind you a rather good looking spin-off.One is a multiplayer version of a prime game and the other is a sports title.I'm a metroid fan but being biter about isn't gonna change what has happened
  2. It sucks about what happened to Ridley.It really i was a supporter and spent most of my monthes in the ridley thread.But in all honestly what happened this time was all our fault.they told us early on that he was gonna be a boss but we keep ignoring the facts.They never teased us it was all in our minds.Do i like what we got.No but where gonna have to live it
  3. Zelda is arguably there biggest franchise so of course it's gonna have spin-off games.It's not really miking it if you you there good games like hyrule warriors is a fantastic game and is one of the best games on the wii u.And many people myself included have want another 4 sword game for a while so i think we earned this.
Now if you wish to respond to my comment.Hit me with a PM.This is a shantae thread and as such should atleast have something shantae in the topic.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yo, you can complain what you want as a Metroid fan.

But there are two major series present in Smash you can't argue you're worst than.

:4ness::4lucas: an officially dead series because the man who created you and the writer of your story-heavy rpgs has said he's done.

:4falcon: need I say more?

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Ehhhh
It's a bit better than the Magic Jams in RR, at least Pirate's curse tells you HOW MANY CACKLEBATS YOU HAVE TO FIND ON EACH ISLAND
Well that's good to know they're better than the Magic Jams. Are they more on the way or do you have to look at every nook and cranny for them?

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
Yo, you can complain what you want as a Metroid fan.

But there are two major series present in Smash you can't argue you're worst than.

:4ness::4lucas: an officially dead series because the man who created you and the writer of your story-heavy rpgs has said he's done.

:4falcon: need I say more?
i agree fully on F-Zero.... i still play gx to this day

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys? I know we're talking about Metroid/Zelda and such, but this is the Shantae thread after all, so we should probably go back on-topic. I'm not a moderator, but I wouldn't want to see this thread get closed or anything over going off-topic.

Burruni

Smash Hero
i agree fully on F-Zero.... i still play gx to this day
Miyamoto: We're waiting to make a new F-Zero game for when our controllers work well for it, because the Wii doesn't.
>NintendoLand F-Zero attraction
>Blue Falcon & 2 F-Zero tracks on 200cc MK8 WITH NO :4falcon:DLC DESPITE :4link::4villager: AND ISABELLE GETTING IN.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Hey guys? I know we're talking about Metroid/Zelda and such, but this is the Shantae thread after all, so we should probably go back on-topic. I'm not a moderator, but I wouldn't want to see this thread get closed or anything over going off-topic.
As a veteran Ridley supporter, this is really nothing by comparison, really. xD

But yeah, it would be wise to stop the offtopic banter with characters deserving more reps, please.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Being off-topic is actually a good sign. The more people there are, the more chances there are for the conversation to go off-topic.

Usually, I see these "all over the place" discussions only in the K. Rool thread, so the present state of affairs seems like a indicator of Shantae's rising popularity as a DLC candidate.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Gonna state 3 things
  1. Metroid isn't has bad as a lot of franchises.Infact a lot of franchises would love to be in metroids spot.The odds of us getting another advance wars,sin & punishment,golden sun,or any other not C nintendo franchise is so small.People complain because they got a spin-off and i like to mind you a rather good looking spin-off.One is a multiplayer version of a prime game and the other is a sports title.I'm a metroid fan but being biter about isn't gonna change what has happened
Now if you wish to respond to my comment.Hit me with a PM.This is a shantae thread and as such should atleast have something shantae in the topic.
I'll go ahead and drop the response to this in spoilers, as I want everyone to see this. As I may be mostly content with Metroid titles... I can't ignore the issue that has been present and growing for so long. Also stick around afterwards for a weird coincidence I found between Shantae and Metroid.

I can agree it's bad that a lot of franchises ultimately end up ignored or up and die... but the way things are going for Metroid, I can understand the anger (save for the BS against Federation Force..)

Lets look at the last main Metroid title, shall we?

Metroid Other M, came out in 2010. Regardless of whether one could consider that a good or bad game.. it's still technically a main series title. However ignoring that, Metroid prime 3 released in 2007 (with trilogy edition being released in 2009, tho I won't count that as that was technically a re-release.) Heck, the last true 2D metroid was Zero mission, an enhanced remake of the first game in 2004...

All this considered, it has been ELEVEN. YEARS since the last true 2D Metroid game was released, and five since Other M.. Eight since Prime..

You see the problem here?.. Heck the last time we had a drought like this was back after the release of Super Metroid. That game was released in 1994, and the next game, Metroid fusion wouldn't release until 2002... that was an Eight year drought. (Not too unlike the one we are in now.).. Really, this is the real reason so many Metroid fans are so pissed off. It's not that they hate Federation force technically.. it's because it has been so long since a new main Metroid title was released. Whats worse? The Wii U might not even get to SEE a main Metroid Prime title.. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...-game-not-likely-until-nintendos-next-console (Plus there is the fact of the 3DS, which could really go for a nice new 2D/2.5D title.. but instead, the first title to be announced for that is a spinoff. While spinoffs aren't a bad thing, I guess I can admit it is a bit weird that the first Metroid game to release for the 3DS... isn't even a main Metroid title..)

Yeah. It's bad that all those franchises you mentioned haven't gotten a new title. However, there is a bit of a difference here... Metroid is supposed to be one of their flagships. It is supposed to be one of their main first parties. It's supposed to be one of their classics... Yet, roughly, it gets the short end of the stick compared to the others. You don't see Mario getting gaps like this. Donkey Kong is getting titles right now. So is Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Yoshi... even Starfox. but Metroid? It is more than likely going to have to wait a few more years, if not more for a new title...

Yeah, I am not exactly complaining either. I have liked pretty much all the titles they have released, and to me, Federation Force looks like it could be fun. However I can't ignore the fact that Metroid is so prone to going through long dormancy periods, like it is right now...

Really, this isn't too unlike Shantae. She too is a platformer inspired by Metroid (Being in the Metroidvania genre in all) She also went through a long period of dormancy at one point in her time. The gap between the first game and Risky's Revenge was eight years.-..... waiit....

I just realized something weird... in a way, the dates of her games correspond to the dormancy and activity of Metroid.. It sounds far-fetched, but look at this:

Shantae debuted in 2002 for the Gameboy color. The same year Metroid Fusion came out (which marked the point when Metroid came out of it's long first drought period.) Shantae of course went under and disappeared for eight years. (The same time span Metroid had previously been under..)

In 2010, as we know Metroid Other M came out. and since that title, Metroid hasn't had a new main series game in five years.. (Eight considering the Prime series). Whats even weirder?

2010 was also the year Shantae came out of her first dormancy, and made her comeback... it was the year Shantae: Risky's Revenge came out for the DsiWare. Since then, she has been getting new titles at a fair rate so far, with Pirates Curse releasing in 2014, and Half-Genie Hero currently in development right now as we speak.

It's probably just a coincidence, but I find those points of exchange very interesting.

Of course... the sad thing here ironically, is Shantae, an indie franchise that is releasing great quality games at a decent rate now, is technically more relevant, and arguably, is currently doing better off than Samus... who so far, appears to be entering yet another drought, with the way things are going...

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I'll go ahead and drop the response to this in spoilers, as I want everyone to see this. As I may be mostly content with Metroid titles... I can't ignore the issue that has been present and growing for so long. Also stick around afterwards for a weird coincidence I found between Shantae and Metroid.

I can agree it's bad that a lot of franchises ultimately end up ignored or up and die... but the way things are going for Metroid, I can understand the anger (save for the BS against Federation Force..)

Lets look at the last main Metroid title, shall we?

Metroid Other M, came out in 2010. Regardless of whether one could consider that a good or bad game.. it's still technically a main series title. However ignoring that, Metroid prime 3 released in 2007 (with trilogy edition being released in 2009, tho I won't count that as that was technically a re-release.) Heck, the last true 2D metroid was Zero mission, an enhanced remake of the first game in 2004...

All this considered, it has been ELEVEN. YEARS since the last true 2D Metroid game was released, and five since Other M.. Eight since Prime..

You see the problem here?.. Heck the last time we had a drought like this was back after the release of Super Metroid. That game was released in 1994, and the next game, Metroid fusion wouldn't release until 2002... that was an Eight year drought. (Not too unlike the one we are in now.).. Really, this is the real reason so many Metroid fans are so pissed off. It's not that they hate Federation force technically.. it's because it has been so long since a new main Metroid title was released. Whats worse? The Wii U might not even get to SEE a main Metroid Prime title.. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...-game-not-likely-until-nintendos-next-console (Plus there is the fact the 3DS, which could really go for a nice new 2D/2.5D title.. but instead, the first title to be announced for that is a spinoff. Which spinoffs aren't a bad thing, I guess I can admit it is a bit weird that the first Metroid game to release for the 3DS... isn't even a main Metroid title..)

Yeah. It's bad that all those franchises you mentioned haven't gotten a new title. However, there is a bit of a difference here... Metroid is supposed to be one of their flagships. It is supsed to be one of their main first parties. It's supposed to be one of their classics... Yet, roughly, it gets the short end of the stick compared to the others. You don't see Mario getting gaps like this. Donkey Kong is getting titles right now. So is Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Yoshi... even Starfox. but Metroid? It is more than likely going to have to wait a few more years, if not more for a new title...

Yeah, I am not exactly complaining either. I have liked pretty much all the titles they have released, and to me, Federation Force looks like it could be fun. However I can't ignore the fact that Metroid is so prone to going through long dormancy periods, like it is right now...

Really, this isn't too unlike Shantae. She too is a platformer inspired by Metroid (Being in the Metroidvania genre in all) She also went through a long period of dormancy at one point in her time. The gap between the first game and Risky's Revenge was eight years.-..... waiit....

I just realized something weird... in a way, the dates of her games correspond to the dormancy and activity of Metroid.. It sounds far-fetched, but look at this:

Shantae debuted in 2002 for the Gameboy color. The same year Metroid Fusion came out (which marked the point when Metroid came out of it's long first drought period.) Shantae of course went under and disappeared for eight years. (The same time span Metroid had previously been under..)

In 2010, as we know Metroid Other M came out. and since that title, Metroid hasn't had a new main series game in five years.. (Eight considering the Prime series). Whats even weirder?

2010 was also the year Shantae came out of her first dormancy, and made her comeback... it was the year Shantae: Risky's Revenge came out for the DsiWare. Since then, she has been getting new titles at a fair rate so far, with Pirates Curse releasing in 2014, and Half-Genie Hero currently in development right now as we speak.

It's probably just a coincidence, but I find those points of exchange very interesting.

Of course... the sad thing here ironically, is Shantae, an indie franchise that is releasing great quality games at a decent rate now, is technically more relevant, and arguably, is currently doing better off than Samus... who so far, appears to be entering yet another drought, with the way things are going...
That Shantae/Samus situation is not surprising. These days, indies generally beat the AAA bull****.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
That Shantae/Samus situation is not surprising. These days, indies generally beat the AAA bull****.
Hmm... wouldn't it be crazy if Wayforward was trying to take advantage of these long periods without Metroid? It definitely helps getting noticed if one of your older AAA cousins is currently on hiatus... lolz

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
It saddens me that AAA games have gone in the direction they have. Most of the ones I've seen have the "graphics over gameplay" focus that people have always complained about since the trend started, while Indie developers are the other way around (and sometimes even make intentionally downgraded graphics as part of a theme) and make some pretty good and fun games yet don't get the spotlight just because they aren't "big names".

This is partly why I was so happy to see Shantae and the Pirate's Curse get ad space alongside Nintendo's IPs, it's so nice to see Indie titles getting recognition outside of the Internet. This is also partly why I'd like to see Shantae in Smash, so they can prove that you don't have to be a household name to be good and would also raise awareness of the fact.

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet

I feel that pain, so now I've changed to silently rooting for Ridley, and openly rooting for Shantae. I want them both...

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Hmm... wouldn't it be crazy if Wayforward was trying to take advantage of these long periods without Metroid? It definitely helps getting noticed if one of your older AAA cousins is currently on hiatus... lolz
I remember reading that Pierre Péladeau, back in 1964, arranged for the Journal de Montréal to launch during a labor dispute at La Presse newspaper...

So if Wayforward is doing what you are describing, it means that are using an old tactic... though I find it hard to believe that Matt Bozon was expressly waiting for a lull in the production of Metroid games to launch the rebirth of Shantae.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I remember reading that Pierre Péladeau, back in 1964, arranged for the Journal de Montréal to launch during a labor dispute at La Presse newspaper...

So if Wayforward is doing what you are describing, it means that are using an old tactic... though I find it hard to believe that Matt Bozon was expressly waiting for a lull in the production of Metroid games to launch the rebirth of Shantae.
Yeah, it's mostly probably just a coincidence... a very well timed coincidence.. XD

<WARNING: Somewhat long and personal rant ahead. enter the spoilers at your own risk..>
Anyway... honestly I feel like there is going to eventually be another Game crash. and it is going to be pretty bad...

Eventually, some gamers are going to start wising up to the garbage they are spoon-fed..

So far, I feel like Nintendo at least has been doing ok.... note I said "ok". In a quality sense, they are much better off than the others.

You guys remember the reason the Game crash of 83 happened?... It was because of the market oversaturating with poor quality games. Hundreds of game developers were starting to crop up, trying to take advantage of the gaming "Fad"... however, the industry soon met it's first lesson: YOU CAN'T SELL A VIDEO GAME IF IT ISN'T FUN/ENGAGING/ORIGINAL....

Because of that mistake, consumers started becoming afraid to even touch any of the titles, due to the fact so many mediocre titles were making their way into the market.

Graphics of course, can be a major part of the gaming experience. It is key in some art styles, and what not. Realistic graphics can be cool... However I feel like some developers are letting it go to their heads... it's like the equation is going from "Quality games = profit" to "Super realistic games = profit"...

Sure. Some gamers are falling into it now. However, there eventually will come a generation that's going to stop, and be like "wait... where is the fun? Where is the quality?.. Sure the graphics look nice... but whats the point?"

That's when it's going to get bad. Some companies are going to go under. Some hardware manufactures might go under.

Ultimately, it might get to the point to where, in an ironic twist, only Nintendo and Indie devs remain... why?

Because they seem to be the only dang developers left in this industry that actually GIVE A DANG ABOUT QUALITY GAMES....

*sighs*... but hey. that's just my opinion. And unfortunately I can't stop some gamers from buying repeatware and shovelware. I just hope the industry wises up soon..

I digressed a bit.. anyway, I'm just glad Shantae is actually doing well.

(Sorry for the long rant guys... this sort of stuff just really irritates me. It's part of the reason I haven't even considered a Playstation 4 or Xbox One yet... The former has a few franchises I would be interested.. The Ps3 at least looks like it has some interesteing titles I could pick up. However the rest of what the Ps4 offers for me is nothing but garbage. I don't buy into the graphics fad. The latter, is even worse for me.)

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Two more recent propaganda videos. Glad to see the train is still rolling.

Important note about the second one: this is from a Let's Player intending to run through the entire Shantae series right through to the Fighter Ballot end date, kinda clever actually. If anyone wants her as a DLC fighter but can't get into the series themselves, it might be worth checking out.

Top Bottom