• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gauntlet

B Link

Smash Lord
imo it should be DITTO matches

i nominate tigerbombz for pika, jaime for samus, sheer for yoshi, s2j for fox - the rest i duno

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
What if we do it like this:

Make a bucket list of players for each character
When someone challenges the gauntlet, a random path is drawn... meaning one player is picked from each bucket at random

That way there can be multiple players involved, not just 12, and it can be different
Then there will be stuff like "you had it easier" but then JUST DO IT AGAIN

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
Instead of having it be dittos, how about it be that the challenger must stay the same character throughout?
yeah i think this was the original idea. to me dittos dont mean a whole lot. the champion of each character should be the one who has the best skill against all the characters.

What if we do it like this:

Make a bucket list of players for each character
When someone challenges the gauntlet, a random path is drawn... meaning one player is picked from each bucket at random

That way there can be multiple players involved, not just 12, and it can be different
Then there will be stuff like "you had it easier" but then JUST DO IT AGAIN
this sounds like a good idea, we put a few players' names in a bucket for each character then randomly pick one to be the first champion. each of the first champions will have to run the gauntlet to get an initial score. after that anyone can run the gauntlet, and if they get a better score they are the new champion for that character, and all the current champions update their score based on their match with the new champ during this gauntlet run (like blue yoshi suggested).

this is a pretty simple system really. we just have to keep a score record somehow, and i suggest stocks are included in the score, not just wins and losses. so for every win you get the number of stocks you have left added to your score and for every loss you subtract from your score the number of stocks the other player had left. here's an example:

character - link

vs samus: win 3 stocks (+3)
vs link: win 2 stocks (+2) (only used for tie breaker)
vs luigi: win 1 stock (+1)
vs ness: win 2 stocks (+2)
vs jiggs: loss 1 stock (-1)
vs dk: loss 2 stocks (-2)
vs yoshi: win 1 stock (+1)
vs mario loss 3 stocks (-3)
vs falcon loss 4 stocks (-4)
vs kirby loss 3 stocks (-3)
vs fox loss 3 stocks (-3)
vs pika win 5 stocks (+5) :p

total score = -4

so if the current champ's score was -6, this guy would be the new champ, and all the current champs would update according to these matches (ex: the luigi champ's vs link score would change to -1)

anyway sorry for the huge post, i just really like this idea. so how about for starters we take sheer's list and nominate a few more for each bucket? or start from scratch, in any case let's make the nominating part quick. the champs will work themselves out anyway...that's the point of this :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Clearly we need some kind of structure to get this thing going. So lets start off with nominations for low tier chars. Obviously we wanna nominate the top players of that char but keep in mind they need to be quite active. We don't want some player who is never on being the rep of a char. Someone should be able to complete the guantlet in a matter of a week or so. So let's get to the nominations:

Samus
- Kabal (very active)
- Nintendude (less active)

Link
- DaBomb (active)
- MarioReincarnate(very active)

Luigi
- A$ (very active)

I think we need to try to pick just 1 rep for each char to maximize the consistency of the challenge. But if everyone insists on multiple reps for each char, then those reps need to be as close in skill level as possible.

Peek~

Smash Lord
I nominate myself for Ness

inb4 we have a useless tournament to decide who is best

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm actually more active than I seem. I log in at least once or twice a week and I'd be easily accessible via AIM if I'm needed to play a match.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
DaBomb posted exactly what I meant.

And obveously, seeing as you can't play against yourself, you can only be in the Gauntlet with one character.

And we should nominate active players who will take part in this and play their matches.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Well I'd vote Frogles for Ness.

Better yet Frogles should be Kirby so DreDay can be Ness.

Frogles

Smash Ace
lol whats with this kirby business? did you go on a secret name and play against my kirby or somefin?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
no you cant nominate matts!, this gauntlet thing can't be unbeatable. With matts on it, its mission impossible!

100% better than best

D

Deleted member

I think Kaillera Kirby Champ should be the Kirby

I can't beat him

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
this is my personal list, referring to recent games done on galaxy with these people

C Tier
(12)Samus ----- Nintendude
(11)Link ------- ZhinShin
(10)Luigi -------- Frog

B Tier
(9)Ness -------- Firo or Frog
(8)Jigglypuff -------- ImNotPro
(7)DK ---------- ECartman or me
(6)Yoshi ---------- SheerMadness

A Tier
(5)Mario ----------- Fireblaster
(4)Falcon ------------ Superboom, 2nd me
(3)Kirby ------------ NATTS!

S Tier
(2)Fox ------------ ZenYore, 2nd killa k
(1)Pikachu ----------- HolyQuebec

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Why don't people just nominate themselves for whoever character(you can only be one), and then the nominees battle it out in dittos, in like a semi-tourney, best of 3 or best of 5, and the winner will be the representative of the character for the gauntlet.
That's much better then to just make the list based off Popularity.

Also, I noticed some of the people that are listed on people's list are not very active on the forums, like Holy, ECart, Zhinshin(who doesn't even have an account I'm sure). People can maybe go to the server and inform people if their interested to nominate themselves?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Two reasons why it should not be decided in a ditto tournament:

1. Dittos don't determine the best character. That takes only one matchup into account, when there are 11 other matchups being ignored.

2. Some dittos are extremely boring to play... (mainly pointing at Puff dittos).

And I think the list should be active members of the forums... or at least players that will be active enough to take part.

For the sake of getting this started, I'll let someone else start as the puff champion, and then I'll challenge the gauntlet to try to take his spot. At least this way, we'll have a starting gauntlet.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Err, I didn't mean play the Gauntlet as dittos only, I meant the nominees having a mini ditto tourney to see who would possibly be the best representative for whatever Character for The Gauntlet. This would not be the Gauntlet, it would be a better way into getting the Gauntlet started.
Jigglypuff dittos being dumb or boring is a opinion btw, even though I do agree with you there.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I know you meant to start the gauntlet. I guess it could work, and then the other person can challenge the gauntlet to take that character slot.

And I know me saying puff dittos are boring is an opinion, but lots of people also say that.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
this is my personal list, referring to recent games done on galaxy with these people

C Tier
(12)Samus ----- Nintendude
(11)Link ------- ZhinShin
(10)Luigi -------- Frog

B Tier
(9)Ness -------- Firo or Frog
(8)Jigglypuff -------- ImNotPro
(7)DK ---------- ECartman or me
(6)Yoshi ---------- SheerMadness

A Tier
(5)Mario ----------- Fireblaster
(4)Falcon ------------ Superboom, 2nd me
(3)Kirby ------------ NATTS!

S Tier
(2)Fox ------------ ZenYore, 2nd killa k
(1)Pikachu ----------- HolyQuebec
I just can't help but laugh.

Near thinks Near should be somewhere on that list, Near wishes to play plzzzzzzz.

Does Zenyore wish to play Near?

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
ok well let's start having matches, here's a list of all the contendors for all the characters that we've gotten so far:

Samus: Kabal, Nintendude, JaimeHR

Link: DaBomb, A$, Zhinshin, MarioReincarnate

Luigi: Near, A$, Frog

Ness: Firo, Peek, Frog

Jigglypuff: Blue Yoshi, MattNF, ImNotPro

DK: ECartman, SuperBoomFan, Zen Yore

Yoshi: Korobeniki, SheerMadness

Mario: Fireblaster

Faclon: SuperBoomFan, Agony, Zen Yore

Kirby: A$, Frog, MATTS!, Kirby Champ,

Fox: Zen Yore, s2j, killa k

Pikachu: Kefit, Agony, Tigerbombz, HolyQuebec

Sorry if I left someone out. I say we give about 1-2 weeks for each character to be decided. I don't know the best way to go about this. If everyone would participate the quickest way would probably be a king of the hill method, starting with the first player on the list playing the second player and so on until there's one undefeated person in the end. Other than that everyone in the list can play each other and the one with the most wins is it. Either way I think this should be a quick process since it's just a starting point. So just post your results on here I guess. Unless someone else has a better idea, feel free.

A$, want to ditto? :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I vote

Samus: Kabal, Nintendude, JaimeHR

Link: DaBomb, A$, Zhinshin, MarioReincarnate

Luigi: Near, A$, Frog - Either 1 is fine with me

Ness: Firo, Peek, Frog

Jigglypuff: Blue Yoshi, MattNF, ImNotPro

DK: ECartman, SuperBoomFan, Zen Yore

Yoshi: Korobeniki, SheerMadness

Mario: Fireblaster

Faclon: SuperBoomFan, Agony, Zen Yore

Kirby: A$, Frog, MATTS!, Kirby Champ,

Fox: Zen Yore, s2j, killa k

Pikachu: Kefit, Agony, Tigerbombz, HolyQuebec

Question is if these players are willing to participate in this? Dunno about Jiggly haven't played MattNF or Blue Yoshi recently.

DMoogle

A$
A$, want to ditto? :)
With Link, you're better at long range fighting, I'm better at close range fighting, IMO.
Kirby: A$, Frog, MATTS!, Kirby Champ

Question is if these players are willing to participate in this? Dunno about Jiggly haven't played MattNF or Blue Yoshi recently.
I'll participate, not entirely sure what I'd have to do though. I'm surprised you still vote me for Kirby even though I've had a lot of trouble vs. you lately with him. Personally I think I'm one of the best Kirbys for sure.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Due to me not able to play online for a bit, take me off of puff. When I get online going again, I'll challenge for the puff spot. Also, that's one less candidate to worry about... hopefully making this start sooner.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
so are we back to voting in the champs? or are we having a match-off. I'm down for whichever is quicker and easier.

With Link, you're better at long range fighting, I'm better at close range fighting, IMO.
that's a pretty sound opinion, IMO :p of course with this what matters is fighting all the other characters

Top Bottom