• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
Okay, so I have no issues pulling off some of the combos I've seen in the videos/threads (agree that many are impractical), but can't quite figure out her neutral, or lack there of. She seems to be a purely defensive character, which is probably why I'm struggling against characters where its harder to force an approach. Short characters and quick characters with range seem to be troublesome.

ProtoManDan

Smash Rookie
NNID
zekrom025
Ok, Umbra Clock Tower is my new absolute favourite stage. Aside from the Fortitudo roar shaking the screen, it's literally perfect, with a godlike soundtrack to boot

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Is it possible to buy another code for the DLC characters, even if I already own them?

There's no gift option or anything like that on the eshop, right?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
A lot of people tend to say that her dodge is pretty crap, but I think that having Bat Within can be pretty useful at times. It's inconsistent, but sometimes it puts me in the right situation for me to counter my opponent.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Bayonetta in doubles is pretty fun!
Bowser drop kicked me in the face at 0% so I kicked him back :happysheep:

ProtoManDan

Smash Rookie
NNID
zekrom025
A lot of people tend to say that her dodge is pretty crap, but I think that having Bat Within can be pretty useful at times. It's inconsistent, but sometimes it puts me in the right situation for me to counter my opponent.
Played against a G&W, at around 15% he combo'd the up throw into 9. Would've killed me if I didn't have Bat Within :p

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Umbra Clock's multiple layouts are really fun and refreshing, if only Fortitudo's roar wasn't banworthy because 'muh distractions'

I uploaded a clip to Alpharad as his next Replay Hut has Bayo, Corrin and Cloud only. Wish me luck!
Personally I didn't find Fortitudo to be that distracting

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
She takes from the pluses from her games while the negatives are from what didn't come with her. Though her saving grace is the ability to cancel out of her combos, she does not have that luxury here. Nor the ability to change her combo strings on the fly, use Crow Within, or Panther Within.

Can be out-prioritized.
Not as fast as Sheik or Samus.
Scarborough Fair / Love Is Blue is her shortest ranged weapon.
The further you go into her combo, the more wide open you are.
Wicked Weave has a long cool down.
Stiletto / Afterburner Kick have a lot of cool down.
She is Risk VS Reward. You're not going to get good damage off of 1-3 hits. You have to go for the combo for that damage.

Bullet Climax cannot be aimed and has a both decent start up and long cool down.

Basically she's a glass cannon. She gets great early damage, and I could be really wrong about this, but it appears that unless you kill quickly (IE: 0-Death), she has a difficult time killing.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Same. However, for some reason the stage is considered banworthy because of it. Same happened with Final Destination iirc, background was deemed too distracting
oh.......my eyes......my eyes!!!! please ban this amazing stage with awesome music for the sake of muh eyes!!! ;.;

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Gah my pet peeve is misuse of the term glass canon.

I think I've seen literally every character described as a glass canon, when it should only refer to Lilttle Mac, Jiggs, etc.

It's an extreme term. >_>

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Bayonetta is the topic of a new "Did You Know Gaming" video

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Guys, I just found a kill combo: d-tilt -> u-smash. It's a true combo that can kill DK at 110 on FD with no rage. If I'm correct the opponent DIing away shouldn't be an issue since you can still combo into a dash cancel u-smash and it's still a true combo.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I think people having trouble with learning bayonetta ("how does she neutral??") should watch this cutscene very carefully.

https://youtu.be/o_BZ8XUXdms?t=1h

Notice how she goads the angels into attacking her? And how she doesnt make the first move? This is reflective of how she plays in the actual game; bait, dodge, punish. Sure, she can jump in and start throwing punches, but most enemies can parry or super armor through some of her attacks.

And whats her most iconic technique? Witch Time, a mechanic that requires you to wait for an attack so that you can dodge it. Plus, those taunts we all love so much? In the games, taunting an angel makes it absolutely livid. They get stronger, sure, but they also start attacking more often and more recklessly.

So why would you want to taunt? Because aggro'd enemies give a bonus to your combo score and drop more halos. The whole "bait and punish" playstyle is literally built into the game, and it has translated to smash very well.

"She has no neutral game and her frame data isnt very good." Well yeah, thats intentional. She isnt a rushdown character. And unlike say, meta knight, you cant outcamp her thanks to her bullet arts. You are forced to approach her. Why do you think her bullet arts are unable to stagger? Besides the fact that it'd be broken, they give people the illusion of "oh well, I can just run through these and hit her while she's shooting me." Nope! You shield or dodge, and then punish!

I truly believe that this is why so many people are having trouble "getting" bayonetta; she needs to be played HER way, not like a poor man's ZSS. The same thing happened with meta knight in the transition from brawl to smash4; MK wasnt the rushdown god of infinite reach anymore, and people didnt adapt until much, much later.

I hope this has made sense to some of y'all. This is just how I see things.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Bayonetta is the topic of a new "Did You Know Gaming" video

Eggman thing is ...sorta...wrong. They didn't say how it's simply a coincidence.

ScrewAttacks version and the 10 things you didn't know about Bayonetta are better videos imo however more publicity is always a good thing!

D

Deleted member

Does anyone wanna play? I need to learn to fight a Bayonetta that isn't from FG :p

D

Deleted member

You're on 3DS right? I'm available for a bit.

My FC is under my name. Add me and lemme know when you've got a room up. Look for "frank."
I'd love to play on 3DS, but my circle pad and my R button are really ****ed up :c I'm sorry .-.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Does anyone wanna play? I need to learn to fight a Bayonetta that isn't from FG :p
Well my Bayonetta is pretty much the definition of FG Bayo, as in, lame. But I'd love to actually play on stages that aren't just Final Destination, provided there's not much lag.

You'll find my NNID under my avatar.

D

Deleted member

Well my Bayonetta is pretty much the definition of FG Bayo, as in, lame. But I'd love to actually play on stages that aren't just Final Destination, provided there's not much lag.

You'll find my NNID under my avatar.
SHHHH

THAT SD DIDN'T HAPPEN.

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
Add me to the list of people who want some matches against other learning Bayonettas. I'll have to come back and pester you guys tomorrow or on Monday though because its UFC Fight Night and I never miss an event!

D

Deleted member

Kurri ★ Kurri ★

Good games, amiga! ^o^ Those matches were really fun! I'm looking forward to our rotations tomorrow :p WHY DOES BAYO'S GREEN OUTFIT COME WITH A BLUE HAIR RIBBON. IT IRKS ME ALMOST AS BAD AS KIRBY'S GREEN ALT WITH THE ORANGE FEET.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Kurri ★ Kurri ★

Good games, amiga! ^o^ Those matches were really fun! I'm looking forward to our rotations tomorrow :p WHY DOES BAYO'S GREEN OUTFIT COME WITH A BLUE HAIR RIBBON. IT IRKS ME ALMOST AS BAD AS KIRBY'S GREEN ALT WITH THE ORANGE FEET.
Good games.

I've never played a Jiggly outside of FG before. I was not prepared.

Gotta figure out how to approach with Bayo, if I should approach at all. Bullet Arts and Bullet Climax seem to be useful but I just get a face full of fist. Although I'm guessing I'm just holding them too long.

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
Man Bayonetta is really fun but hard to play, also its crazy how much damage you can rack up with Bullet climax alone when used right. On top of that it feels great to use her off stage, really good at gimping aside from characters that can recover from nearly any gimp (Im looking at you villager).

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
Gotta figure out how to approach with Bayo, if I should approach at all. Bullet Arts and Bullet Climax seem to be useful but I just get a face full of fist. Although I'm guessing I'm just holding them too long.
Pretty much where I'm at right now. Full hop nairs and short hop fairs seem to be helping a bit, but I need to get a handle on when to stop hitting B and when to let go of my grounded normals.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Bayo is fun but hard. I'm struggling with her in many ways, I want to practice but all I have is FG (lol).

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeah, Bayo is fun but hard. I'm struggling with her in many ways, I want to practice but all I have is FG (lol).
If you can't head to locals or get a group of friends together, there's always Anther's Ladder. Or... Smashboards.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
What makes Bayo difficult for me is I mainly used characters like Palutena and Zelda before Bayo came out. Her play style is different compared to what im used to maining in SSB games. Though I am slowly, ever so slowly, getting the hang of her.

Top Bottom