• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Game & Watch Match-Up Thread - CURRENTLY DISCUSSING OLIMAR

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
**** marth. However I notice that (as a2 said) we can trade fairs in an exchange thats better for us than him. He's hard to run from too I notice because after you use up-b youre above him which sucks. And ledge gw vs marth is ****ing stupid. Although we get a free smash after dancing blade.

:phone:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
**** marth. However I notice that (as a2 said) we can trade fairs in an exchange thats better for us than him. He's hard to run from too I notice because after you use up-b youre above him which sucks. And ledge gw vs marth is ****ing stupid. Although we get a free smash after dancing blade.

:phone:
While being on the ledge vs marth is an almost impossible position, the inverse is pretty much true too. Marth sucks getting off the ledge, and if we read him right we can get a really early kill. However, marth has more tools to get us off stage, so I guess it does end up in his favor.

About the free smash after DB. Yes this is true, but it's so much harder than it sounds :/. He can delay the 4th hit, so if he does 3 hits and delays it consistently he can mix it up by just not doing the 4th hit and you'll miss out on getting that free smash in.

Oh and yeah, being above marth is the worst because his aerial mobility is better than ours, and our dair isn't good vs his uair. Also given the fact that grab release to fair is guaranteed, he can get us in the air ALOT, which makes the match-up really ****ing hard. Overall though I actually don't think this match-up is too awful. I played one match vs mikehaze (in a MM), and it was a really close game, plus I play vs a really good marth really regularly and can say GaW has plenty of opportunities to win. Trading moves is really easy to do, but the problem is that marth is less committed to his moves when he uses them, so he can mix it up enough so that he can hit us more than we trade with him. Our much better kill power can make up for this, but you'll be hard pressed to actually land a smash attack unless you bait an upB or DB.

Overall I now think it's only a -1 (on the BBR chart) or around 60:40 for the other system.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I don't think we Out-KO Marth to be honest. We have to rely on marth to mess up or seriously commit for the KO, but he just has tippers.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Shielding a DB or baiting an upB is not unlikely at all. You just have to make the right choices when he does those things to maximize your punish.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
He can uair out of it? How sure are you? I can almost upB before he fairs, so idk if uair is possible. Then again, I am not familiar with marth's frame data.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I feel what will make the matchup most difficult to win is if the Marth is extremely confident in his D-tilt spacing. It is his best move in the matchup partly because you can't F-air him while he D-tilts, and also because it limits your ground options, most of which you actually want to use against him. A smart Marth should really only use DB as a punish ideally.

That and Marth's edgetrap game.

Throwing him upwards and to the side isn't quite good enough to win you the matchup imo unless you're able to throw him offstage at high percents. Learning your guaranteed D-throw options on him is pretty important since you get more control and damage from that move. D-throw -> tilt/DA for instance are pretty important to get down, especially since a well placed D-throw -> D-tilt at high percents in general is one of the best kill setups you have if he doesn't techroll.

Top Bottom