• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the Franklin Badge?

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
It's small and hard to see because that's precisely the point. If it was far too visible, the other players would easily know you are reflecting, and would never shoot you by mistake. It's a kind of trap.

Hotshot672

Smash Cadet
perhaps this is how it works:

You pick it up, and it acts like fox's reflector, but when you get hit by a normal attack it falls off, but you can pick it up right away until you drop it too many times?

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
This is actually an item update that I've been pleased to see. I'm an Earthbound fan, and I think that Franklin Badge's inclusion is a neat idea.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
In the Earthbound game the Franklin Badge was a special part to the game and it relflected any PSI attacks. In smash bros, they changed it from refleting PSI to reflecting projectiles.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Interesting. Does that hint more towards Lucas than Ness?

All those who are saying that Ness is semi-confirmed don't seem to be well-informed about Mother-related stuff... it was already said by Sakurai personally that Mother 3 music will be in, which is almost as much a confirmation of the Mother series being represented as this is ( yes, yes, I know, almost ).

The question is, which Earthbound hero?
I vote Lucas. It's not that I dislike Ness--he was my favorite character in the original SSB--but Sakurai himself said that Lucas would have replaced Ness if MOTHER 3 had not been canceled. :ohwell: We might find out next week; then again, I thought we would find out about Peach this week, and CF got semi-confirmed nearly a month ago and has not been even referred to since.

So... who will be updated first? Peach or a Mother character? I hope Ness so we can get rid of this Lucus crap.
A MOTHER character would be far more surprising, but I would far prefer Peach. At least seeing the MOTHER icon confirms that there will be at least one character to represent the series.

Yeah, this item will be PRETTY useful (which is an awesome upgrade from the ****-useless Mr Saturn) but I dont think it'll be unbelievably cheap. All characters have tons of moves that aren't protectiles, so its not all that bad.
HEY! I <3 Mr. Saturn. I always made a point of saving him from those meanies that would pick on him and throw him around at each other. Save the Saturns! :grin:

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Q: Why does it say MOTHER on this item?
A: Is there anything WRONG with having an item that says that?
Lol, I like how he makes fun of us for not wanting to be mother boys. Anyone watch Arrested Development? (if not then go buy the DVDs right now) This reminds me of Buster.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Ok guys I looked on starmen.net and at the walkthroughs for the mother games for franklin badge.

I've never played mother or earthbound so I don't know the differences between the games.
But this is what I found.

Ok I had to go on Wikipedia and check out mother. There said there were four Mother/Earthbound games. Earthbound, Mother 1+2, and Mother 3.

This is what I found on starmen. The franklin badge is in Mother 3, Earthbound, and Earthbound Zero. I think that Earthbound Zero is Mother. Earthbound is Mother 2. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Here are some links.
http://walkthrough.starmen.net/mother3/ -Mother 3
http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound/ -Earthbound/Mother 2
http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound0/ -Earthbound Zero/Mother

To get to franklin badge, look at the left of the screen and scroll down until you see Item Lists. Click on Alphabetic List and scroll down to F.

For the lazy. This is what they say.
Mother 3-
It has a picture, but I couldn't get it to upload on Imageshack.
Franklin Badge
フランクリンバッヂ Description:
Buy Price: 0 DP
Sell Price: - DP

Earthbound/Mother 2-
No picture.
Franklin Badge Description: By keeping it as one of your items, it deflects a lightning attack back at the attacker.
Not For Sale

Earthbound Zero/ Mother-
No picture.
Franklin Badge Description: Legend says that Ben Franklin wore this reflective badge during his experiments with lightning.
Buy Price: $Not For Sale
Sell Price: $0
Reflects PK Beam r

So according to Starmen, the Franklin Badge was in all three games.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204

ZOMG

Who is that character under the franklin badge?!??!???

SONIC?!?

Specs

Smash Cadet
Yeah, this item will be PRETTY useful (which is an awesome upgrade from the ****-useless Mr Saturn) but I dont think it'll be unbelievably cheap. All characters have tons of moves that aren't protectiles, so its not all that bad.
The Mr. Saturns had their uses...They were good for breaking shields, pushing other items around, getting some of the bonuses that required you to catch an item thrown at you...

Ok, yeah, they were useless. The Franklin badge, huh...I have to wonder how it will really work, in terms of animation...will it just put up a shield automatically? Will there be some sort of animation the character wearing it does? Does it reflect everything, or just energy, a la Ness's PSI Magnet? And did anyone else who played Mother 2/Earthbound really hang onto this item after Happy Happy Village? Personally, it was just a waste of inventory space to me...just equipped it once more for the Thunder and Lightning boss, then sent it back to storage.

Wreked

Smash Lord
@Specs

I'm pretty sure the animation for blocking attacks is just the badge lighiting up. And, I guess, making the wearer invincible for one second.

You can see the badge glows in this pic.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It looks like it just bounces off them, instead of a shield. Additionally, I think it may return the attack as an eletrical attack, or with a electric effect attached to it. (It is the Ben Franklin Badge, after all)

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Everyone seems to be saying this is the only Mother item besides Mr. Saturn. Isn't the home run bat from Earthbound/Mother?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
This is the best update in a while for me, as a EB fan. Why? Because it means that either:

A. Ness is in the Game.
B. Lucas is in the game, and if Lucas is in the game then Nintendo will run out of excuses not to bring Mother 3 to America (consider how Fire Emblem came to North America after Marth and Roy were in SSBM)
C. Both of the above

You need to understand something about Earthbound/Mother fans. They are to Hardcore gamers what Hardcore gamers are to casual gamers. I've played through Earthbound (AKA Mother 2) 2 and a half times and once played the ROM of EB 0 (AKA Mother 1) until I got paranoid the feds were after me and stopped. I have signed several petitions. And I'm one of the more normal ones!

To know that Mother/EB will be represented is calming for me.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Why are so many people whining about temporary projectile blocking? Fox only has ONE. And it's not like the Franklin Badge is the ONLY item, you'll probably hardly see it. I think what the other guys say is right, it will only work on energy like the PSI Magnet.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
@Specs

I'm pretty sure the animation for blocking attacks is just the badge lighiting up. And, I guess, making the wearer invincible for one second.

You can see the badge glows in this pic.
look at that round circle of light its ssj sonic...omg sonic is in brawl...WOOOOOOT

Nietendodude

Smash Ace

Kirby looks hardcore with that badge on!

This item should drive my friends nutts. They like long range characters.

Frogla

Smash Ace
he can tlak aywnay he wntas too. You know as long as the word has both the beginning and end letter in the right place the mind will fill in the word and make it sound right.

Anyway Starman for Assist Trophy.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Eh, I don't want to see Lucas replace Ness. If anything I'd like to see Claus make it in, since Claus was well... you KNOOOOOOOOOOW...

Yes I do KNOOOOWWWW but you can't have Claus without Lucas. :p
And as awesome as Claus is, I'd rather have Flint or Duster first. <.<

Hopefully they just keep both Lucas and Ness so people can shut up.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yeah the badge looks pretty sweet. Too bad it wont have that much of an effect on Fox/Falco since they already have their own shine to deflect projectiles.

It's great to see that SSBB is getting more and more items which are more helpful and better. :D

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I really do how Ness returns, since I'm just starting to get into EarthBound the game! (I just recently downloaded it).

Anyway, where DOES this "Franklin Badge" originate from?

Hong

The Strongest
The Franklin Badge appears in every MOTHER title with the same purpose. The image used in Super Smash Brothers Brawl is the promotion badge based on MOTHER 1. Though it was also given out as a promotion gift for MOTHER 3.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
zomg

kirby can now shine! kirby for top tier! lol it would be soooo funny if it was like a free shine rather than reflector. shining other foxes would be too funny.

ACTUALLY! Maybe they'll pull off a MK here. If you shine while holding the franklin badge, you hit yourself, twice the damage.

lololololol

Top Bottom