• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forgotten Retro Hero: Donkey Kong Jr. for Smash Switch!

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet

NAME: DONKEY KONG JR.
DEBUT: DONKEY KONG JR. (Arcade, 1982)
SERIES: DONKEY KONG
(possibly even representing a new universe exclusively for Nintendo's arcade games)
NICHE: RECOGNIZABLE RETRO CHARACTER
Donkey Kong Jr. is one of Nintendo's oldest characters, and star of Donkey Kong Jr., the sequel to the original Donkey Kong. Whereas Donkey Kong featured Mario (or Jumpman as he was known back then) saving his girlfriend from the villainous ape Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. instead focused on Donkey Kong's son saving his papa from a cage guarded by Mario - making Donkey Kong Jr. one of Nintendo's first protagonists! Donkey Kong Jr. starred in re-releases of his eponymous game, and also was the main playable character in Donkey Kong Jr. Math, which, well, really sucked. After that, DK Jr. helped his papa kidnap Pauline and fight against Mario in Donkey Kong for the Game Boy, a remake of the original Donkey Kong that included a ton of new levels and mechanics.

As for other notable game appearances, Donkey Kong Jr. was one of the eight playable racers in Super Mario Kart (being replaced by Donkey Kong in all subsequent installments, although he was originally going to reappear as Donkey Kong's partner in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! before being replaced by Diddy Kong), a playable character in Mario's Tennis for the Virtual Boy, an unlockable playable character in Mario Tennis for the Nintendo 64, a frequently appearing character in the Game & Watch Gallery series, and, most recently, as an 8-bit costume for Mario to wear in Super Mario Maker.

Notably, Diddy Kong was originally a redesign for Donkey Kong Jr. for Donkey Kong Country, but it was requested that Donkey Kong Jr. either retain his original appearance or the redesign become an entirely new character. As we all know, this created Diddy Kong, who went on to replace Donkey Kong Jr. completely.

In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Donkey Kong Junior was a trophy!

"Donkey Kong Jr. came to the rescue when Mario imprisoned his father. DK Jr.'s challenge was to collect the keys to Donkey Kong's cage, all the while dropping fruit on his enemies from high above. He was able to climb faster by using two ivy vines at once. This ape is also quite skilled at kart racing, tennis, and mathematics."

And in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, DK Jr. appeared in the form of... two stickers. His old trophy from Melee is in the game's data, however.

In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, DK Jr. is completely absent.

What about the next Smash? There's no way that Donkey Kong Jr. would get in before King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Lanky Kong, or even Chunky Kong, right? DK Jr. hasn't played an important role in a game since Donkey Kong Jr. Math, and he's likely not going to play any important role in any game ever again.

Wait a sec - maybe not being in recent games could get him into Smash as a retro character! Considering that Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt got into Smash, DK Jr. has actually got a pretty respectable chance of getting in, especially since there are so few memorable retro characters remaining that have enough potential to pull together a moveset. Heck, DK Jr. could represent Nintendo's early history as an arcade game maker and pull some moves from their other arcade games like Mario Bros.!

Could Donkey Kong Jr. somehow make it into a future Smash, perhaps as a 'surprise character' in the vein of Duck Hunt? Although a forgotten character, Donkey Kong Jr. still remains very recognizable and iconic, and has got plenty of potential to be a fun and interesting character in Smash.
MOVESETS:
Since DK Jr. hasn't been seen much (or at all) lately, here's a video to help you imagine how he'd look in 3D:
LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZgEIELERs

Appearance: Donkey Kong Jr.'s look would definitely need an update if he was to appear in Smash. To distinguish him from his other, more modern Kong buddies, his 'fur' would be more orangish, and, unlike DK and Diddy, not look realistic. Instead, Donkey Kong Jr.'s appearance would more closely resemble Duck Hunt, with bright, accented colors and an overall clean, distinguished design. Finally, Donkey Kong Jr. would stand on his two feet with his arms to his side, showing his intelligence - after all, he's a math genius.

Size: slightly larger than Villager
(I know it seems crazy, but having DK Jr. be huge would be weird considering he's smaller than Mario in-game in Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong for the Game Boy.)
Weight: 95
Jumps: 2
Ground Jump Height: 30.5 (Wario)
Air Speed: 1.1 (Duck Hunt, etc.)
Fall Speed: 1.8 (Roy, etc.)
Wall Jump/Wall Cling: YES, YES
Walking Speed: 1.0
Running Speed: 1.6 (Mario)
(Sorry, not giving other stats like gravity.)

Neutral A/Jab: a swiping punch with the left hand, then an uppercut with the right hand (It's similar to DK's, as it just seemed the most natural for them to share a simple jab. However, DK Jr.'s jab is very exaggerated and cartoony, with his arms slightly stretching out.)

Side-Tilt: winds up and punches (similar to Wario's; DK Jr.'s arms stretch out)

Up-Tilt:
DK Jr. does a handstand (his legs stretch out)

Down-Tilt:
a crouching kick (DK Jr.'s leg stretches out)

Dash Attack: a quick cartwheel forward (DK Jr. faces the screen)
Side-Smash: thrusts a giant golden key forwards

Up-Smash:
thrusts upward with a sign (the sign contains a random number purely for aesthetics; inspired by Donkey Kong Jr. Math)

Down-Smash:
a sweeping kick
Neutral-Aerial: assumes his vine-climbing pose for a few seconds; weak damage and knockback

Forward-Air:
kicks his leg out (similar to Wario's)

Back-Air:
swings a pair of cherries behind himself

Up-Air:
thrusts both hands into the air (similar to Ness's up-tilt; DK Jr.'s arms stretch out)

Down-Air:
drops a berry below himself
B: Super Hammer

DK Jr. slams the ground with a giant hammer. Nearby opponents that aren't hit by the hammer will be launched upwards (like how Donkey Kong's Hand Slap launches foes into the air).

Side-B:
Barrel Throw

DK Jr. throws a barrel (in a fashion somewhat resembling how Kiddy Kong throws barrels) forwards that rolls along the ground. The barrels are smaller and faster while rolling than the existing item. They don't do too much other than force your opponent to approach.

Up-B:
Spring Jump

A clone of Sonic and Mega Man's Spring Jump, but DK Jr. uses a spring from the arcade Donkey Kong.

Down-B:
Back Flip

DK Jr. instantaneously does a back flip. Pressing A during the back flip causes DK Jr. to launch forward in a roll.
Grab: a standard grab like most other characters

Pummel: slaps the opponent

Throws, Final Smash, Taunts, Victory Theme and Poses: same as in NantenJex's moveset (which is in the spoiler below)

Special thanks to NantenJex of Source Gaming for moveset inspiration!

What're you waiting for? Show your support for the forgotten retro hero, Donkey Kong Junior!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Technically... given he was used instead of his pa when Rare had partial control of the big ape... He's (like Waluigi) a Mario character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Technically... given he was used instead of his pa when Rare had partial control of the big ape... He's (like Waluigi) a Mario character.
Doesn't 75m use the DK series symbol though? It would be a little odd for the arcade stage to have the DK symbol while the character would have the Mario series symbol.

Anyway, I have noticed the little ape has been getting quite a few cameos and references in various Nintendo games in recent years (Much like R.O.B. did pre Brawl) so if anything, at least DK jr is still in someone's mind over at Nintendo.

Last edited:

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
Donkey Kong Jr. is definitely a Donkey Kong character. It just depends on if he'd rep that series or a sub-series specifically about the arcade DK games (and maybe even other Nintendo arcade games like Mario Bros.).

Speaking of which, that gives him another unique selling point: he could represent Nintendo's arcade games as a whole!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just want a Mario vs. Donkey Kong Jr. game where you play as Donkey Kong Jr. as you rescue Donkey Kong from rogue Mini Mario toys.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii. Never played any other game. But, i'm planning on getting the remake of it for the 3DS. I support!

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Hell yeah, I've been waiting for DK Jr. to show up again forever. He's the current DK's dad, so we should've seen him as an adult by now, but he's been MIA for 25 years. I'm all for him being in Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hell, he’d be a cool retro rep. I’d rather have K. Rool and Dixie, but after them Junior is cool.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I support. He would be a really appropriate WTF character since he could represent the original DK games through his moveset. After all, these games made Nintendo a household name in the gaming industry, and Mario and DK represent their own separate franchises.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Hell yeah, I've been waiting for DK Jr. to show up again forever. He's the current DK's dad, so we should've seen him as an adult by now, but he's been MIA for 25 years. I'm all for him being in Smash.
That depends on your source. DK jr has been identified as the current Donkey Kong on some occasions and the current Donkey kong's dad on others. It's also possible that neither is true and Cranky Kong is just a senile old coot.

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
DK Jr. Is my all-time favorite arcade game! He's my main in Super Mario Kart, which my family and friends compete in regularly to this day. I've wanted him in Smash ever since the N64 title and always hold out hope that Sakurai will come to his senses and put this iconic, classic, full of potential, adorable ball of awesome into the fold!!!

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
It's so sad that he's been missing in action for so long now. DK Jr deserves a spot as one of the most important early Nintendo characters. And I think it's not completely impossible regarding all the cameos he's made over the years, which put him in a similar position as ROB. Forsaken but not forgotten!

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I think Donkey Kong Jr. is :ultdk:'s father.
It's so sad that he's been missing in action for so long now. DK Jr deserves a spot as one of the most important early Nintendo characters. And I think it's not completely impossible regarding all the cameos he's made over the years, which put him in a similar position as ROB. Forsaken but not forgotten!
Still, as I remember there seem to be no very clear clue about DKJr grows up and becoming father/grandfather of current DK. At least official Smash intro or trophy description would have tried to make those things clear if Nintendo care that much.

There is also a note-worthy theory hole: if the orginial DK becomes old, who are the lady and jumpman from the original game anyway? Are they grandparents of Pauline and Mario? This would get more far-fetched so better need more direct information from NIntendo.

Anyway, I would support DKJr to not return as long as he is not part of the current canon just like Peach's supposed father is removed for good. The current DK main cast already provide many great fighters for choices, after all.

And for "revival", remember Pauline is still the better example of how an old retro character was brought back and eventually stays in the canon. Probably we shoudln't forget Stanley as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Still, as I remember there seem to be no very clear clue about DKJr grows up and becoming father/grandfather of current DK. At least official Smash intro or trophy description would have tried to make those things clear if Nintendo care that much.

There is also a note-worthy theory hole: if the orginial DK becomes old, who are the lady and jumpman from the original game anyway? Are they grandparents of Pauline and Mario? This would get more far-fetched so better need more direct information from NIntendo.

Anyway, I would support DKJr to not return as long as he is not part of the current canon just like Peach's supposed father is removed for good. The current DK main cast already provide many great fighters for choices, after all.

And for "revival", remember Pauline is still the better example of how an old retro character was brought back and eventually stays in the canon. Probably we shoudln't forget Stanley as well.
It was made clear by Nintendo in Snake's Codex back in Brawl that the Mario now is Jumpman from the original Donkey Kong arcade game and Cranky Kong is the DK from that game.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It was made clear by Nintendo in Snake's Codex back in Brawl that the Mario now is Jumpman from the original Donkey Kong arcade game and Cranky Kong is the DK from that game.
I see how that came from. But the logic hole still remains. To me it feels more like a perspective of games generation more than a storywise canon.

Back to DKJr, unless as said the intros made hist existence and relationship with others clear enough, it'd be hard to insert him back to the main cast again. Baby Mario is a good showcase there.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To me it feels more like a perspective of games generation more than a storywise canon.
I agree.

Back to DKJr, unless as said the intros made hist existence and relationship with others clear enough, it'd be hard to insert him back to the main cast again. Baby Mario is a good showcase there.
I still think he could get in as a retro rep in the future. It's not impossible since we have 3 Links in the roster.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Let’s not forget we are talking about “Super Mario” (super being the keyword) and how many 1up mushrooms has he eaten in his existence? Mario is practically immortal and likely doesn’t age due to repetitive respawning.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's somehow important if a fictional character has officially aged to fit in the canon. Look at Donkey. He looks the same ever since he's been introduced. It doesn't make any difference that Nintendo claims the Arcade DK to be modern Cranky. Basically, Nintendo says DK Jr doesn't exist anymore which is pretty much no matter because we have Baby Mario, Dry Bowser, multiple Links and Marios in many different Games.

And don't forget Junior would prolly still be around if it weren't for Rare replacing him with Diddy despite there being Cranky in DKC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think it's somehow important if a fictional character has officially aged to fit in the canon. Look at Donkey. He looks the same ever since he's been introduced.
The Arcade DK design and the Rare DK design are very different from each other.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm a big Dixie Kong supporter, but I'd love to see DK Jr. as well. (In fact, I'd rather see him than Cranky, Funky, or Lanky, although I like those characters too.) He's a stone-cold arcade classic and it's a pity that Nintendo has elected to do so little with him lately. The question of whether he is or isn't the "current DK" is irrelevant because, c'mon, you have Mario and Dr. Mario and Samus and Zero Suit Samus fighting side by side. Smash is pure Calvinball.

There should be a DK Jr. inspired stage, too. It would certainly be more fun than 75m.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here's a question for you all.

How big should Jr. be? He's typically veiwed as a small guy, but he was still bigger than Mario in Donkey Kong Jr and in Mario kart he's one of the really big guys like Bowser.

I've always pictured him more Diddy sized though.

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question for you all.

How big should Jr. be? He's typically veiwed as a small guy, but he was still bigger than Mario in Donkey Kong Jr and in Mario kart he's one of the really big guys like Bowser.

I've always pictured him more Diddy sized though.
Good question, ever since I played the original Mario Kart for the SNES, Junior's size has been quite a big mystery to me.
But I suppose that somewhat between Diddy and Mario would end up being the most fitting IMO

Something at the likes of this old school Nintendo commercial:

It's quite a shame that Jr. felt in obscurity, he used to be a recurring character with so much freaking potential, as much as I like Diddy Kong, I always felt like he stole Jr's place.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big Dixie Kong supporter, but I'd love to see DK Jr. as well. (In fact, I'd rather see him than Cranky, Funky, or Lanky, although I like those characters too.) He's a stone-cold arcade classic and it's a pity that Nintendo has elected to do so little with him lately. The question of whether he is or isn't the "current DK" is irrelevant because, c'mon, you have Mario and Dr. Mario and Samus and Zero Suit Samus fighting side by side. Smash is pure Calvinball..
Depends. It is hard to say DKJr is an equal counterpart to DK and Diddy of the current DKC canon like how they regard Dr Mario. Like said, NIntendo might not know how to insert him back to the current DKC canon before they come up with some kind of development similiar with Baby Mario's.

To me, the Wario Land versus Warioware argument seems to be better, since both are unique and important to the general franchsie in different aspects. But the one between retro DK and DKC series is not that similiar. The main difference is more a pure matter of classic versus modern.

Personally, I feel like Minis March era is Nintendo's way to rebuild the arcade classics in the modern canon. Pauline was the first case of long-time absent character to return for the need of this game. Just we're not sure if DKJr, and also Stanley, would return for the same reason.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Honestly, I think Nintendo should just bring him back like nothing happened. Call him the modern Donkey Kong's son. It's not like they've acknowledged the "Cranky is the original Donkey Kong!" chestnut since Brawl, and other games (like Mario vs. Donkey Kong) even contradict it.

The question is, how will DK's relationship to DK Jr. differ from his relationship to Diddy? Diddy is supposed to be his best friend and number one fan, but they seem to have a parent/child relationship, especially in DKC Returns. I guess if they made DK Jr. more babyish, it could work. They'd be like Popeye and Swee' Pea.

As for the size... maybe he'd be around Banjo's size?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Call him the modern Donkey Kong's son
i thought they meant to change the story settings cause they want DK to be a normal single man. I don't think they'd make the current DK a father again.

Most speculations regard Diddy as the new version of DK Jr (arguably). Like you say they could had made Diddy be DK's son than just a normal buddy if Nintendo insist so.

Reminds me of Bowser troop. They changed Koopalings from Bowser kids to leading minions, however they add Bowser Jr to keep Bowser's father identity in the end, while Bowser Jr's mother remains a whole mystery.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
They're like Spike and Tyke. The mother is irrelevant. Although Miyamoto did once claim that he was Bowser Jr.'s mother!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I definitely support!
Hurts to say it, but I’m probably the only person in the world that doesn’t like how Rare messed up the source material and changed both the already iconic characters (DK and DK Jr.) and their respective designs, specially when those aspects were already fully established, mainly thanks to Donkey Kong 94.

While I still think Rare did an outstanding job on giving DK its own videogame series, replacing the original characters never made any sense to me, so I do much prefer we would’ve gotten this instead:
6E8D7887-D53F-43FE-B2C8-14B19F4C211A.jpeg

But oh well... I guess having Jr. being brought back for Smash would definitely be neat, at the very least.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Did a rough draft of a Donkey Kong Jr. moveset. Primarily based off of various Nintendo arcade games, some vs. titles, some original, a scant few references to Super Mario Kart as well. Thoughts?

Enterance: Jr. climbs down a vine and jumps onto the stage.

Neutral A: Jr. does some good old fashioned fisticuffs.

Dash Attack: Jr. rides forward in a go-kart to deal damage.

Idle Animation:

Aerials

Nair: Jr. summons a space ship which fires in multiple directions. (Origin: Space Firebird.)

Uair: Jr. summons the sheriff who fires above him. (origin: Sheriff.)

Dair: Jr. drops a fruit downwards. Could be banana, apple, or other assorted items. (Origin: Donkey Kong Jr.)

Fair: Jr. punches a weight which flies forward in front of him. (origin: Popeye.)

Bair: Jr. shoots a sonic wave behind him. (origin: Vs. Clu Clu Land.)

Tilts

S Tilt: Jr. takes a swing with a baseball bat. (origin: Vs. Baseball.)

D Tilt: Jr. summons an oil spill in front of him. (origin: Vs. Mach Rider.)

U tilt: Jr. uses a tennis racket to do a lobbing, overhead shot. (Origin: Vs. Tennis, doubles as Mario Tennis reference.)

Smash Attacks

Side Smash: Jr. Dons the mask of Mask X which fires lightning from the front of it. (Origin: Arm Wrestling)

Down Smash: Jr. lifts a hammer above his head and swings down hard. (origin: Donkey Kong)

Up Smash: Jr. holds up a spaceship which rapid fires above him. (origin: Radar Scope)

Grab Attacks

Pummel: Jr. rapidly sprays the enemy with bugspray. (Origin: Donkey Kong 3)

Forward Throw: Jr. tosses them forward like a barrel.

Up Throw: Jr. summons a bumper pad which throws them upward. (origin: Vs. Pinball.)

Down Throw: Jr. just straight up punches them downward, with a boxing glove. (origin: Punch Out!!/Super Punch Out!! arcade.)

Back Throw: Jr. throws them backwards and fires frankenstein electricity at them. (Origin: Arm Wrestling.)

Specials

Neutral B: Barrel Throw. Just like his papa, Jr. throws a barrel forward, which rolls on until it collides with something, or

someone. (origin: Donkey Kong.)

Side B: Enemy Toss. Jr. throws various enemies from the donkey kong games at the enemy. What you get depends on how long you

charge, like Pac-Man's fruit. Includes the fire from DK1, the crocodiles from DKJR, the bugs and bees from DK3, and more

probably.

Down B: Sewer Creatures. Jr. summons one of 3 random enemies from Mario Bros. The Shellcreeper merely wanders forward and damages

whatever it touches. The Sidestepper takes two hits to kill and moves faster, doing more damage. And the Fighter Fly slowly jumps

around but does massive damage. (Origin: Mario Bros.)

Up B: Sky Skipper. Jr. hops in a plane and flies upward for recovery, the plane does damage to whomever it touches. (Origin: Sky

Skipper)

Final Smash: Releasing Papa. Jr. transports everyone to the final stage of Donkey Kong Jr., and he inserts the keys to release

his dad, who falls downward dealing massive damage to everyone he touches.

Side Taunt: Jr. shows a random character from Nintendo's arcade history.

Down Taunt: Jr. munches on a fruit.

Up Taunt: Jr. throws some confetti around.

Victory Animation 1: Jr. catches a giant, 8=Bit Donkey Kong falling from the sky and smiles.

Victory Animation 2: Jr. rides around a go-kart celebrating.

Victory Animation 3: Jr. kicks Mario in the ass and laughs at his pain.

Lose Animation: Jr. does the death animation from Donkey Kong Jr.

Top Bottom