• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Pokemon Cuts the Competition! Sceptile for Smash Ultimate!

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Man, only around 21 hours until a direct. It would make sense to reveal a pokemon now... This could be it guys!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Jot me down on the supporters list for old Scepty. Grass and Water pokes are always my go to starters in Pokemon games, and I remember going for Treecko back in the day. I named him Godzilla :awesome:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Yeah. You know, I actually went through the time and effort to get a Sceptile on my main team in Ultra Sun, because I try to get him in my main team anytime he’s available in the game, doesn’t matter how. I’ve had real dedication to him over the years, and if he’s in gen 8, I won’t stop here. In fact, no pokemon has ever felt as appealing to me, and any time I don’t have him or Jolteon on my team, it just feels like a big irreplaceable gap is left instead.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
TBH I feel like the new Pokemon rep is up in the air.

Sakurai said he chose newcomers from the Ballot, but we also had Sun and Moon releasing soon after the final plan. We know there's Sun and Moon stuff in already, so the main question is: Did Sakurai choose a Pokemon off the Ballot, or did he go with a new one?

I'm hoping for Sceptile first and foremost, but Sun and Moon does hurt his chances a bit... It'd be disappointing to get Incineroar over Sceptile. Two heavyweight fire types just doesn't seem appealing to me, even if Incineroar fights completely differently from Charizard.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Imagine if we were to get infernape straight out of left field. That would be a way better option than Incineroar imo, but patterns I’ve noticed on Sakurai’s past inclusions are what lead me to believe that Sceptile actually stands a chance right now. It’s pretty firm that he has outclassed both Blaziken and Gardevoir in terms of popularity and relevance, heck even Swampert has them beat in relevance. Every inclusion so far outside Inkling are characters known to have stood the test of time, and Sceptile’s popularity is still here, people are just less vocal due to him not being in last time. I believe he was a top pick for pokemon in the ballot, as Gardevoir and Blaziken seemed to be much less noticeable in discussion outside Sceptile’s small amount of haters. Heck, Blaziken is completely gone due to Incineroar, and the only thing keeping Gardevoir around is a fake leak that gained traction until people realized that the leak pretty much said Simon wouldn’t be in. Basically the point is, never underestimate the Forest Pokemon:smirk: I’m not surprised he doesn’t show up in leaks because fake leakers only go with current talked about characters, but in reality none of them know anything, and can easily be wrong. Vergeben’s ‘sources’ aren’t real, because if they were, they’d be fired, and I don’t think anyone wants that right now.

Last edited:

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
TBH I feel like the new Pokemon rep is up in the air.

Sakurai said he chose newcomers from the Ballot, but we also had Sun and Moon releasing soon after the final plan. We know there's Sun and Moon stuff in already, so the main question is: Did Sakurai choose a Pokemon off the Ballot, or did he go with a new one?
I'm hoping for Sceptile first and foremost, but Sun and Moon does hurt his chances a bit... It'd be disappointing to get Incineroar over Sceptile. Two heavyweight fire types just doesn't seem appealing to me, even if Incineroar fights completely differently from Charizard.
I don't think Simon was a ballot pick due to him never being high on fan polls, Sakurai thought about adding in Ridley for the last 2 games and Inkling would have be in no matter what.
Imagine if we were to get infernape straight out of left field. That would be a way better option than Incineroar imo, but patterns I’ve noticed on Sakurai’s past inclusions are what lead me to believe that Sceptile actually stands a chance right now. It’s pretty firm that he has outclassed both Blaziken and Gardevoir in terms of popularity and relevance, heck even Swampert has them beat in relevance. Every inclusion so far outside Inkling are characters known to have stood the test of time, and Sceptile’s popularity is still here, people are just less vocal due to him not being in last time. I believe he was a top pick for pokemon in the ballot, as Gardevoir and Blaziken seemed to be much less noticeable in discussion outside Sceptile’s small amount of haters. Heck, Blaziken is completely gone due to Incineroar, and the only thing keeping Gardevoir around is a fake leak that gained traction until people realized that the leak pretty much said Simon wouldn’t be in. Basically the point is, never underestimate the Forest Pokemon:smirk: I’m not surprised he doesn’t show up in leaks because fake leakers only go with current talked about characters, but in reality none of them know anything, and can easily be wrong. Vergeben’s ‘sources’ aren’t real, because if they were, they’d be fired, and I don’t think anyone wants that right now.
I think Gatdevoir and Blaziken getting mega evolutions and being playable in Pokken shows that there still popular and have stood the test of time as while. While Sceptile has some loyal fans as proven with this thread I feel like most only wanted him in as DLC in For to complete the starter triangle and most have moved on to supporting Decidueye now due to fill there grass starter niche. Honestly the biggest thing going against Sceptie is him not being a Pokemon the Pokemon Company can push in the anime or movies.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I think Gatdevoir and Blaziken getting mega evolutions and being playable in Pokken shows that there still popular and have stood the test of time as while. While Sceptile has some loyal fans as proven with this thread I feel like most only wanted him in as DLC in For to complete the starter triangle and most have moved on to supporting Decidueye now due to fill there grass starter niche. Honestly the biggest thing going against Sceptie is him not being a Pokemon the Pokemon Company can push in the anime or movies.
They’ve made it obvious they still want to give him a push though with the tcg, which is something the other two can’t say. He was also owned by the rival in the xy series in the anime (also Ash’s main pokemon in hoenn), which again, not something the other two did. Once he got a mega evolution, I feel that blaziken was kinda left in the dust, considering Sceptile and Swampert both getting megas put them in the spotlight as opposed to blaziken because it received a mega beforehand which made the other two a lot more hype when they did happen, Sceptile especially for getting the privilege of being the first pokemon to be a grass/dragon type. The point is, I don’t even consider blaziken a competition in any way, especially since the mega stone was old news. This can also apply to Gardevoir as well, who also received mega evolution a bit to early for the ballot. It also doesn’t matter that they were in pokken because Sceptile was as well. The last thing I wanna mention is that people moving to Decidueye now doesn’t matter, considering the ballot happened a whole year before he even existed, which would’ve left Sceptile sitting in a pretty good position when they finalized the roster. In fact, I’d actually be surprised if he didn’t at least get a trophy.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Simon was a ballot pick due to him never being high on fan polls, Sakurai thought about adding in Ridley for the last 2 games and Inkling would have be in no matter what.
Sakurai confirmed himself he chose newcomers based on the ballot.

Simon was actually a sleeper pick. He was actually really popular but his fanbase wasn't as vocal as ones like King K. Rool and Ridley.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Add me to the supporter's list. Had a move-set and design layout for Sceptile for a long time so if you want that I can drop it.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I've shown my support for Incineroar as well (as long as he's a unique grappler type fighter like Zangeif) but i haven't given up a Grass type starter being playable either!
What do y'all here think about Incineroar, or Decidueye?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've shown my support for Incineroar as well (as long as he's a unique grappler type fighter like Zangeif) but i haven't given up a Grass type starter being playable either!
Decidueye for sure, but if you're asking here then they'll say stuff for Sceptile :p

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Incineroar is 100% bandwagon, and Decidueye hasn’t seen any promotion since some of the early SM tcg expansions. The only sun and moon pokemon I can see happening is Lycanroc (or unfortunately Incineroar due to quota of flavor of the month crap). On a different note, why is Groudon still missing from pokeball status when Kyogre is back?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Incineroar is 100% bandwagon, and Decidueye hasn’t seen any promotion since some of the early SM tcg expansions. The only sun and moon pokemon I can see happening is Lycanroc (or unfortunately Incineroar due to quota of flavor of the month crap)
Decidueye is still more popular in the polls, even after a lot of people lost some hope.

But really at this point I wouldn't mind Sceptile too. Not gonna be too picky on the pokemon rep, but grass would be nice.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Decidueye is still more popular in the polls, even after a lot of people lost some hope.

But really at this point I wouldn't mind Sceptile too. Not gonna be too picky on the pokemon rep, but grass would be nice.
For me, Sceptile just seems like the Pokémon that would fit in (seeing as Scizor was deconfirmed). I actually have thought about several other grass types though, like Roserade, Breloom, or even Nuzleaf. None of them really seem to be as popular or fun as Sceptile though (and I probably say this out of bias toward the speed stat) from what I’ve seen and done in the games.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For me, Sceptile just seems like the Pokémon that would fit in (seeing as Scizor was deconfirmed). I actually have thought about several other grass types though, like Roserade, Breloom, or even Nuzleaf. None of them really seem to be as popular or fun as Sceptile though (and I probably say this out of bias toward the speed stat) from what I’ve seen and done in the games.
Definitely Sceptile and Decidueye would be the most popular grass ones for now. I also saw Grovyle, which I guess could work for another pokemon trainer.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Definitely Sceptile and Decidueye would be the most popular grass ones for now. I also saw Grovyle, which I guess could work for another pokemon trainer.
I would be so happy to get a hoenn pokemon trainer, and at that point, I would be exclusively a Mudkip main just cause of how I could actually see it being top tier. (Also I’m using a phone, and apparently mudkip autofills to muslim... sure, that makes sense.)

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I don't if it's right to say Incineroar is a 100% bandwagon character. People have told me the same thing about Ashley elsewhere and that hurts. There's always a group out there for every character that's been there with them since the beginning, even the most popular ones of late. To lump the OG supporters with the bandwagon crowd doesn't seem very fair.

That being said though i still stand by wanting a proper grass type to play as in Smash, I don't think Ivysaur quite cuts it.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don't if it's right to say Incineroar is a 100% bandwagon character. People have told me the same thing about Ashley elsewhere and that hurts. There's always a group out there for every character that's been there with them since the beginning, even the most popular ones of late. To lump the OG supporters with the bandwagon crowd doesn't seem very fair.

That being said though i still stand by wanting a proper grass type to play as in Smash, I don't think Ivysaur quite cuts it.
I know Incineroar has real fans, but from what I’ve seen, most were disappointed when they saw it was basically just another fire/fighting starter repurposed as a dark type. Out of the gen 7 starters, Decidueye was definitely the fan favorite, and Primarina pretty much has already become as obscure as something like Gothitelle, considering how little people talk about it in comparison to the other two. I actually was so happy seeing Ivysaur return, but even with that said, I still want Sceptile in.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Anyone else think that a hoenn focus will happen and show off Groudon or Rayquaza as a boss with either a cave of origin or sky pillar stage depending on which one?

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet
Anyone else think that a hoenn focus will happen and show off Groudon or Rayquaza as a boss with either a cave of origin or sky pillar stage depending on which one?
I would absolutely love for that to happen, but unfortunately I think we've already seen all of the stages included in the base game. (Or do you mean as part of the boss battle mode?)

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I would absolutely love for that to happen, but unfortunately I think we've already seen all of the stages included in the base game. (Or do you mean as part of the boss battle mode?)
It could go either way. I doubt we’ve seen every base stage, as it removes all the fun speculation. As gamexplain pointed out, mute city from melee is definitely returning, considering if there isn’t another mute city, then the 3ds version wouldn’t have been renamed.

Last edited:

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet
It could go either way. I doubt we’ve seen every base stage, as it removes all the fun speculation. As gamexplain pointed out, mute city from melee is definitely returning, considering if there isn’t another mute city, then the 3ds version wouldn’t have been renamed.
I'm almost certain that GameXplain is wrong on this one. I can't imagine that Nintendo would announce a specific number - exactly 103 total stages - if there were, in fact, more (not counting the possibility of a few pre-made custom stages like in Brawl). Presumably, they would have said "over 100 stages!" or "100+ stages!". Mute City was probably renamed to emphasize that it is the retro SNES version. Another possibility is that both versions of Mute City were planned, but the Melee one was cut.

Last edited:

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
I may be the only one to say this, but if we get a new Pokemon rep, I feel that it should be something that needs more rep, and by that I mean the spin-off series, namely Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. One of the best series ever made, one of the most recognizable spin-off series that Nintendo has, and seeing that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo’s big three series, and Dr. Mario and Toon Link both represent the Spin off series for Mario and Zelda, its about time that Pokemon get their own, and in my opinion, I believe that Darkria would be the best option. He would be the first true Pokemon villain (no Mewtwo does not count), is a highly popular pokemon, being the main surprise protagonist to Explorers of Time, Space, and Air (Spoilers) which did the best out of the four, and in my opinion, was the actual best, with the first and third being ok, but the fourth completely bombing, I just think that the second game would be the first out of the four to get rep in smash. ot only that, but he does have potential to be a Mewtwo eco fighter, or give him the Isabelle and Dr. Mario treatment, being a suedo-clone, both using physic attacks, shadowball, teleport, it wouldnt be that hard to implement, although he made need some physical frame rework overall. However, i do think he has a chance, and would be the first pokemon villain, if Pokemon was willing to put a villain into smash to begin with. :)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I may be the only one to say this, but if we get a new Pokemon rep, I feel that it should be something that needs more rep, and by that I mean the spin-off series, namely Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. One of the best series ever made, one of the most recognizable spin-off series that Nintendo has, and seeing that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo’s big three series, and Dr. Mario and Toon Link both represent the Spin off series for Mario and Zelda, its about time that Pokemon get their own, and in my opinion, I believe that Darkria would be the best option. He would be the first true Pokemon villain (no Mewtwo does not count), is a highly popular pokemon, being the main surprise protagonist to Explorers of Time, Space, and Air (Spoilers) which did the best out of the four, and in my opinion, was the actual best, with the first and third being ok, but the fourth completely bombing, I just think that the second game would be the first out of the four to get rep in smash. ot only that, but he does have potential to be a Mewtwo eco fighter, or give him the Isabelle and Dr. Mario treatment, being a suedo-clone, both using physic attacks, shadowball, teleport, it wouldnt be that hard to implement, although he made need some physical frame rework overall. However, i do think he has a chance, and would be the first pokemon villain, if Pokemon was willing to put a villain into smash to begin with. :)
Darkrai was already confirmed to be a pokeball though, so no. Did you not do research before coming here? He was shown at E3 in the nintendo treehouse gameplay.

Last edited:

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
Darkrai was already confirmed to be a pokeball though, so no. Did you not do research before coming here? He was shown at E3 in the nintendo treehouse gameplay.[/QUOTEI]

I already knew the darkrai was a pokemon, and had no chance even making it in. This for more of future speculation, if they ever make a sixth game, which I say is pretty fair to say they will. I completely understand that the way I fraised it must have been confusing, and for that I apologize. But one more thing. I would also like to point out the fact that Waluigi has been shown as an assist, and people are still in uproar to have him added.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Thanks for clearing that up. I still wonder why people refuse to believe that Waluigi is deconfirmed, when we all saw it happen. That requires a whole new level of ignorance to do.

Last edited:

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
Agreed. I’m sorry, but if you have not appeared in a single cannon or mainstream Mario game, from 1981 to right now, then you really don’t have any right to represent the Mario Series in Smash. At least Daisy made sense as a minor character. She was the main damsel in de stress in Super Mario Land 2. Waluigi was literally created to that random character that only appears in spin off games.

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
Yup. Birdo has actually appeared as a main stream character more times the Waluigi. With out the Mario tennis series, he would not exist.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure I'm not as passionate about him as some of you may be. As you can probably tell, my main focus is Banjo-Kazooie. However, there's no way anyone could deny that if you're going to add another Pokémon, especially a starter, it absolutely has to be Sceptile. Thankfully I've been lucky enough to have my all-time favorite, Ivysaur come back so I'm already smiling, but Sceptile is an extremely close second. It's way past time for us to get a fully evolved grass type and there's none more perfect to fill the role. Also, he kicks Incineroar's butt lol. If you'll have me, I'll gladly join the ranks of his supporters :)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know it's probably been mentioned here, but the PTCG released a Sceptile theme deck in August.

It's much too recent to effect the roster, but the Sceptile render looks good. Is there a way to make a transparent version?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
While that might be to recent. The biggest shot Sceptile got is the fact that ORAS was very recent during the Ballot.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Add me to the sup list! Sceptile is one of my favorites and while I don’t think his chances are good, I still believe he has a small shot of getting in.

Top Bottom