• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Oh no dont tell me Lip's item is back man then who will be the new retro rep I really want Lip sense Takamaru is assist trophy. Maybe Mach Rider or Excitebiker I dont know unless give me Rayman then my roster is complete wont care if Steve come to smash or Goku.
Don't throw in the towel just yet. We don't know where those flowers are from. It's very easy to say Lip's Stick since that's been our status quo for a couple of games, but they could also have come from Rest or a new item altogether.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I'd rather see Captain Syrup instead of Ashley to get some Wario Land representation, but eh, that's a pipe dream. At least Wario got his shoulder bash back.

Anyway, there has been talk about all the PdP fan projects a few pages ago and there's actually another project going on currently which I had been contacted about. Of course I can't say much about it due to not being the original author, nor do I want to because of that reason, but it's something I'm personally very excited about. So yeah, seems like this fandom is always good for a surprise, as small as it might be.

Also this site sure changed during the months I was absent, made me pretty confused at first, but seeing all this positive attitude sure is a nice thing to come back to. Hopefully I can actually stay for a bit longer now that I have a new PC. My old laptop is pretty busted by now, some keys just suddenly stop working or are registered as pressed twice and it's being held together by duct tape at parts... quite literally. But hey, still working.

But with the new PC, I can actually continue to work on what I was doing as well. I finished Lip's house, including textures and will now resume working on the rig of the actual model. No picture of the house right now though, it's past midnight and i'm quite sleepy. Also I've been rambling for too long again.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, my gosh. How could I forget this? Last night, I had a dream where Ultimate was revealed to contain SO many retro and/or simply obscure characters spanning across Nintendo's 30-40 year library of video games, and even Mini-Kangaroo and Daitoryo

That said, Lip (among many, many MANY other retro and/or smply obscure characters including, but not limited to: Mike Jones, Mr. Stevenson, Lark from Pilotwings, Michael Anderson from Battle Clash, Dion/Max/Jack from Marvelous, Alice from Ballon Kid, Ayumi Tachibana, Jonathan Raimi from Geist, Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness and even characters like Hakkun from Sutte Hakkun, Cupit from Sennen Kazoku and Parabo and Satebo from Nintendo's Satellaview service) was confirmed to appear in Ultimate...as ether playable characters or as Assist Trophies.

Sadly, Lip got the short end of the stick on that front, and ended up as an Assist. From what I can remember, the 3D model was essentially a sort of chibi-version of the fan-made 3D model we're all waiting to see the finished product of.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That dream sounds amazing! Well, except for the whole Lip humiliation deal, but the rest would probably make up my dream roster.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's what Smash Bros. should be. Not an advertisement for the latest Nintendo products, not a showcase of Nintendo's third parties, a celebration of the history of this company and all of the fantastic games it's made.

(...Well, it's almost what Smash Bros. should be. It should also have Lip playable.)

Anyway, there has been talk about all the PdP fan projects a few pages ago and there's actually another project going on currently which I had been contacted about. Of course I can't say much about it due to not being the original author, nor do I want to because of that reason, but it's something I'm personally very excited about. So yeah, seems like this fandom is always good for a surprise, as small as it might be.

But with the new PC, I can actually continue to work on what I was doing as well. I finished Lip's house, including textures and will now resume working on the rig of the actual model. No picture of the house right now though, it's past midnight and i'm quite sleepy. Also I've been rambling for too long again.
Well color me intrigued. Can't wait to see what it is you're talking about.

I'd love to see how the house is going later on, when you're feeling more awake.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Don't throw in the towel just yet. We don't know where those flowers are from. It's very easy to say Lip's Stick since that's been our status quo for a couple of games, but they could also have come from Rest or a new item altogether.
Maybe Lip is playable and her wond is limited we didn't see Olimar with Lip wond phew not getting my hopes up.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That dream sounds amazing! Well, except for the whole Lip humiliation deal, but the rest would probably make up my dream roster.
That's what Smash Bros. should be. Not an advertisement for the latest Nintendo products, not a showcase of Nintendo's third parties, a celebration of the history of this company and all of the fantastic games it's made.

(...Well, it's almost what Smash Bros. should be. It should also have Lip playable.)
Well, if I'm being honest, there were SO many characters in my dream that I couldn't exactly follow who ended up having what role. That said, for all I know, Lip WAS playable in my dream, and I was just too focused on the fact that so many retros/obscure characters were in Ultimate.

N N. Onymous I'm glad someone remembers what Smash is. Look, I'm..."OK" with third parties (to an extent), but there are times where I worry a little bit that Smash will lose sight of also being a celebration of Nintendo, new AND old AND even simply obscure.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm glad someone remembers what Smash is. Look, I'm..."OK" with third parties (to an extent), but there are times where I worry a little bit that Smash will lose sight of also being a celebration of Nintendo, new AND old AND even simply obscure.
Smash 4 already, arguably, lost sight of the "old and obscure" part by specifically excluding characters from old, dead, or Japan-only series. It seems like all parties involved were viewing that installment as a pure marketing tool to increase sales of other games and their associated merchandise. It felt to me like those old cartoons from the 1980s that were spun off from a line of toys--it's more or less enjoyable on its own merits, but there are places where you can tell the executives were really overstepping their boundaries for the sake of pushing product. Not to mention how hypocritical it is, considering one of Nintendo's current most popular series started out Japan-only, and only scored international releases due to its representatives' popularity in Smash Bros.. What's scaring them away from giving that another shot? Nintendo is absolutely not a company that's afraid of taking risks.

Maybe I'm just a naive idealist, but I hope the fact that the Zelda series is currently representing almost every Nintendo console at once (Wii U/Switch with Link, N64/3DS with Young Link and Ganondorf, SNES/3DS with Zelda, GCN/DS/3DS with Toon Link), and that Ridley's design is more or less his Super Metroid appearance with some embellishments, means that Smash is shifting away from that mindset and more to the celebration of Nintendo as a whole that it really should be. Of course, if the rumors are true, we'll be getting a Minecraft assist trophy/stage and those hopes are going straight out the window.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Smash 4 already, arguably, lost sight of the "old and obscure" part by specifically excluding characters from old, dead, or Japan-only series. It seems like all parties involved were viewing that installment as a pure marketing tool to increase sales of other games and their associated merchandise. It felt to me like those old cartoons from the 1980s that were spun off from a line of toys--it's more or less enjoyable on its own merits, but there are places where you can tell the executives were really overstepping their boundaries for the sake of pushing product. Not to mention how hypocritical it is, considering one of Nintendo's current most popular series started out Japan-only, and only scored international releases due to its representatives' popularity in Smash Bros.. What's scaring them away from giving that another shot? Nintendo is absolutely not a company that's afraid of taking risks.

Maybe I'm just a naive idealist, but I hope the fact that the Zelda series is currently representing almost every Nintendo console at once (Wii U/Switch with Link, N64/3DS with Young Link and Ganondorf, SNES/3DS with Zelda, GCN/DS/3DS with Toon Link), and that Ridley's design is more or less his Super Metroid appearance with some embellishments, means that Smash is shifting away from that mindset and more to the celebration of Nintendo as a whole that it really should be. Of course, if the rumors are true, we'll be getting a Minecraft assist trophy/stage and those hopes are going straight out the window.
Oh, the rumor is just for a AT/stage?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, the rumor is just for a AT/stage?
Verg doesn't know the actual Minecraft content, but he's guessing it's a stage or AT. It could be just a trophy. It could be playable Steve? He might be misled and there's no Minecraft content at all. It's basically too vague to call anything until we actually see if it's there. That's the issue with some rumors, sometimes they're too vague.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Verg doesn't know the actual Minecraft content, but he's guessing it's a stage or AT. It could be just a trophy. It could be playable Steve? He might be misled and there's no Minecraft content at all. It's basically too vague to call anything until we actually see if it's there. That's the issue with some rumors, sometimes they're too vague.
So it is a part of THAT rumor.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I am really not at all seeing a playable Steve happening. If a Microsoft character does get in it's going to be one that resonates with hardcore gamers the most and is the most highly requested, which would be either Banjo or Master Chief. But that's a separate conversation entirely.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Steve is such a bad choice. I dont care if I sound salty.

I have no idea what to expect from this game from now on. It could be anything from 1 to whatever amount of newcomers, there can be a bunch of retro picks or none at all, same with 3rd parties. We really have no clue rn, and I haven't seen any leak that I can buy into 100%. The verge leak was pretty vague, left out Daisy, and made some easy guesses otherwise. Lip is very much still a possibility imo

PsychoJosh

Well I trust in the heart of the cards.

I think Sakurai has a good head on his shoulders about what people want and what would excite everyone. Smash isn't merely a fighting game but a chance to see dormant IP resurrected. I think they have good ideas for characters, as well as plentiful input from fans. He's not one to cave in to pressure on ideas that just plain suck and have no potential like Waluigi.

Or I could be wrong and he'll just toss care to the wind and stick in a bunch of garbage characters because lolsakurai. But I don't think that'll happen.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I think Sakurai has a good head on his shoulders about what people want and what would excite everyone. Smash isn't merely a fighting game but a chance to see dormant IP resurrected. I think they have good ideas for characters, as well as plentiful input from fans. He's not one to cave in to pressure on ideas that just plain suck and have no potential like Waluigi.

Or I could be wrong and he'll just toss care to the wind and stick in a bunch of garbage characters because lolsakurai. But I don't think that'll happen.
...I like Waluigi

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

Why is it that everywhere you go you have to **** on other characters

Like seriously, no one's attacking your precious little flower fairy, why do you **** on others' favorites, especially in threads where said character isn't even relevant

It just makes you look like an immature ass hole

PsychoJosh

I don't see where it says I'm obligated to say nice things about your characters in threads that aren't about them. The fact that you're this riled up about ia completely throwaway comment makes you seem immature.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
People are allowed to disagree with another but attacking someone personally is considered flaming. Likewise, poking fun at a particular fan base, especially those who just saw their character deconfirmed, is considered trolling. Avoid doing either and we can continue having a nice day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regarding the Minecraft content, couldn't it have simply been a red herring so that the validity isn't too obvious? I vaguely recall something like that from Pokemon SM where there was a leak that had everything right except for 2-3 Alolan forms (I remember Doduo and Growlithe being mentioned).

On the other hand, Smash 4 had a BitTrip Runner trophy and MS and Nintendo seem to be on pretty good terms with each other with all the current cross plattform gaming going on between them, most recent being Fortnite, but also, well... Minecraft and I think Rocket League? Especially when compared to Sony who seems to be against it and just does its own thing, so seeing something from Microsoft wouldn't be that huge of a scretch and Minecraft is pretty big. Although personally, if there's MC representation, I'd like it to be something from the Rare days, like Conker, Banjo & Kazooie or Joanna Dark.

At the end of the day, Sakurai is a madman and pretty unpredictable. He said Villager isn't a fighter in Brawl and yet he was the first to be confirmed for Smash 4. Ridley had been called too big by him for years and now he's in as well.

Moving on from the Minecraft talk, I indeed do not really understand why Sakurai is reluctant to include obscure Japan only characters as he said with Takamaru. Smash has the ability to make obscure characters much more well known. Look at Fire Emblem, Marth (and Roy) was originally intended to be exclusive to the Japanese version of Melee, yet was kept because the testers liked him so much. Look where Fire Emblem is now, being one of Nintendo's bigger franchises, just having had a game announced this E3 even. The same could happen to a lot of characters, like, for example, Takamaru, Lip and Sukapon. Maybe even giving them enough attention for a sequel or reboot. I'd go so far and say it even helped Ness and Earthbound, despite not being Japan exclusive. The franchise was still very niche back during the N64 days, having sold poorly in the US and not at all here in EU. In fact, I first got to learn about Earthbound due to Smash Bros. And now? Earthbound is a classic, even being released on the VC (which is a far cry from the Masterpiece in Brawl which was removed in international releases). Even the very first MOTHER for NES was released internationally as Earthbound Beginnings on the VC and I think it was the most downloaded title for a while.

In short, the marketing power that Smash has tremendous and can help old and neglected franchises a lot. I just wish that ability would be used more. Although I'm just glad to finally see Sukapon, Nintendo's first fighter, get some recognition. Even if I wanted her to be playable, I'm still glad to see the robot as an Assist Trophy and not completely forgotten.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Regarding the Minecraft content, couldn't it have simply been a red herring so that the validity isn't too obvious? I vaguely recall something like that from Pokemon SM where there was a leak that had everything right except for 2-3 Alolan forms (I remember Doduo and Growlithe being mentioned).

On the other hand, Smash 4 had a BitTrip Runner trophy and MS and Nintendo seem to be on pretty good terms with each other with all the current cross plattform gaming going on between them, most recent being Fortnite, but also, well... Minecraft and I think Rocket League? Especially when compared to Sony who seems to be against it and just does its own thing, so seeing something from Microsoft wouldn't be that huge of a scretch and Minecraft is pretty big. Although personally, if there's MC representation, I'd like it to be something from the Rare days, like Conker, Banjo & Kazooie or Joanna Dark.

At the end of the day, Sakurai is a madman and pretty unpredictable. He said Villager isn't a fighter in Brawl and yet he was the first to be confirmed for Smash 4. Ridley had been called too big by him for years and now he's in as well.

Moving on from the Minecraft talk, I indeed do not really understand why Sakurai is reluctant to include obscure Japan only characters as he said with Takamaru. Smash has the ability to make obscure characters much more well known. Look at Fire Emblem, Marth (and Roy) was originally intended to be exclusive to the Japanese version of Melee, yet was kept because the testers liked him so much. Look where Fire Emblem is now, being one of Nintendo's bigger franchises, just having had a game announced this E3 even. The same could happen to a lot of characters, like, for example, Takamaru, Lip and Sukapon. Maybe even giving them enough attention for a sequel or reboot. I'd go so far and say it even helped Ness and Earthbound, despite not being Japan exclusive. The franchise was still very niche back during the N64 days, having sold poorly in the US and not at all here in EU. In fact, I first got to learn about Earthbound due to Smash Bros. And now? Earthbound is a classic, even being released on the VC (which is a far cry from the Masterpiece in Brawl which was removed in international releases). Even the very first MOTHER for NES was released internationally as Earthbound Beginnings on the VC and I think it was the most downloaded title for a while.

In short, the marketing power that Smash has tremendous and can help old and neglected franchises a lot. I just wish that ability would be used more. Although I'm just glad to finally see Sukapon, Nintendo's first fighter, get some recognition. Even if I wanted her to be playable, I'm still glad to see the robot as an Assist Trophy and not completely forgotten.
Sukapon was a pleasant surprise tbh. I'm not a fan of Assist Trophies, but it seemed so unlikely even as one of those, that I actually got kinda hyped when I saw that revealed.

I do agree that Smash is very influential, and can help out many series by awareness alone, and I understand many people want to see old obscure Japanese exclusives, but they probably don't want to seem that biased towards the region, which is why a lot of those guys are kept out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My name is DaemonDD and I support Lip for Smash Ultimate.

That said, any tally on recent appearances of the Tetris Attack Fairy cast? Just kinda curious, cuz I would for sure like to see that little puzzle franchise grow just like Puyo Puyo did.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
My name is DaemonDD and I support Lip for Smash Ultimate.

That said, any tally on recent appearances of the Tetris Attack Fairy cast? Just kinda curious, cuz I would for sure like to see that little puzzle franchise grow just like Puyo Puyo did.
Well, not "Tetris Attack" exactly, that replaced the characters.

Outside of her own series, Lip has appeared physically or at least cameoed in Captain Rainbow (2008) and Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome amiibo (2016). Few and far between to be sure, but I'm happy she managed to get her own costume in Animal Crossing that actually wasn't removed from the international game. That needs to happen more often! Like, say... just throwing this out there... in Super Smash Bros.? Maybe? Please?

I do agree that Smash is very influential, and can help out many series by awareness alone, and I understand many people want to see old obscure Japanese exclusives, but they probably don't want to seem that biased towards the region, which is why a lot of those guys are kept out.
That she's got a significant level support in all major regions (the Americas, Europe, and her home country of Japan) is I think reason enough to give her a more prominent role in SSBU. Maybe she didn't get as many votes as other characters, but getting so much support from regions where her games still have not been released unedited is an impressive accomplishment. A ton of people all around the world love her and want to see her come back. If Nintendo and Sora don't realize that this time...

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

In short, the marketing power that Smash has tremendous and can help old and neglected franchises a lot. I just wish that ability would be used more.
I think this logic's been proven somewhat flawed though - mainly due how it's not Smash Bros's marketing power that can bring series to life - but the overall interest from devs themselves ultimately.

Right now, Kid Icarus-series seems still not very interesting for Nintendo's first, or second party dev teams to take any knack on since Uprising, despite people knowing about it all around the world and probably waiting still for a new installment.

Then there's F-Zero, which has it's main character probably most iconic in the cast of Smash-series itself, but might probably be going on 20 years without a game if this keeps up. Compare to Fire Emblem and arguably Xenoblade, which probably would have kept on receiving new installments in their series despite not being featured in SSB-games in their respective times . (Probably we would have gotten some new form of "Xeno"-game from MonoSoft however).

In short, Smash Bros can boost franchises' awareness quite nicely on vicinity of people, but it's always up to the devs themselves to make a new installment for a series regardless. At least PdP's given some ways to keep on being a thing from I.S's part, I guess.

Although I'm just glad to finally see Sukapon, Nintendo's first fighter, get some recognition. Even if I wanted her to be playable, I'm still glad to see the robot as an Assist Trophy and not completely forgotten.

Kind of ironic still to see Sukapon in this state for me, it'd have been great addition to Smash IMO by it's seniority-esque status around Nintendo-fighters alone - but since it wasn't noted in much form until this point in Smash-series, yeah.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
So Source Gaming has translated Sakurai's latest Famitsu column and according to the translation in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009455106637656064

The project plan for SSBU (which I presume includes the fighter roster) was completed in December 2015 which was 2 months after the Smash Ballot ended. Could this help Lip's chances if she did well in the ballot?

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
So Source Gaming has translated Sakurai's latest Famitsu column and according to the translation in this tweet:

The project plan for SSBU (which I presume includes the fighter roster) was completed in December 2015 which was 2 months after the Smash Ballot ended. Could this help Lip's chances if she did well in the ballot?
It definitely help just because of post Wii U characters probably not making it in.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

Yes, I don't think there is any doubt that it is the case. Now the real question is with this game have a limited amount of newcomers, did Lip do well enough to catch Sakurai's attention. If Sakurai is just going by popularity then I believe the answer is a resounding no. However when has he ever just gone by popularity? I believe the combination of Lip's popularity and retro esthetic help her, but being a japanese only character hurts her immensely. What I'm hoping for is that there was enough worldwide demand for her for Sakurai to look past her exclusivity. Overall I am a bit optimistic for her entry in this game though also a bit cautious.

If she does make it in, I'm convinced it will be in the base roster for sure. Lip just doesn't scream DLC cash money to me.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yes, I don't think there is any doubt that it is the case. Now the real question is with this game have a limited amount of newcomers, did Lip do well enough to catch Sakurai's attention. If Sakurai is just going by popularity then I believe the answer is a resounding no. However when has he ever just gone by popularity? I believe the combination of Lip's popularity and retro esthetic help her, but being a japanese only character hurts her immensely. What I'm hoping for is that there was enough worldwide demand for her for Sakurai to look past her exclusivity. Overall I am a bit optimistic for her entry in this game though also a bit cautious.

If she does make it in, I'm convinced it will be in the base roster for sure. Lip just doesn't scream DLC cash money to me.
Agreed. Though at the same time, this Smash game seems more focused on fan service and what people want. Popularity would play a factor in that.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Now it makes sense Takamaru did not make it.
I mean. How many people did vote for Takamaru in the Ballot, thinking this would be content for Smash 4 DLC. Which Takamaru was an Assist Trophy. This might be the fans disinformation that might have made him less likely. Which alone is a good sign for Lip for that matter.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You have a point there. I personally think she'd be to Ultimate what Marth and Roy were to Melee. A Japan-prominent hidden character you unlock near the end of the game.

Now it makes sense Takamaru did not make it.
I mean. How many people did vote for Takamaru in the Ballot, thinking this would be content for Smash 4 DLC. Which Takamaru was an Assist Trophy. This might be the fans disinformation that might have made him less likely. Which alone is a good sign for Lip for that matter.
What's more, I don't think Taka's support was THAT vocal during the Smash Ballot. I mean, we WERE, but I can't help but think we weren't considered THAT big of a priority unless it was for a future game AFTER Ultimate.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would still keep expectations in check.

Even though I feel confident about Lip being the most popular retro in the ballot, she may have been triumphed by another retro in popularity.

But things are looking good right now though, with the current situation.

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock

If anything I'd say this news hurts Lip's chances, considering the Puzzle League content in Animal Crossing wasn't released until November 2016. That was the first official release of Panel de Pon content in quite some time, and if you consider the Flower Fairy outfit as "close enough" then it was the first (bar a small easter egg from the GBC days) and greatest exposure the West has received to Lip herself. I could've seen Sakurai learning of it while scouting out Animal Crossing for other reasons and being moved by the revival, but I doubt plans for it were that far in development at that point in time.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
If anything this news hurts Lip's chances, considering the Puzzle League content in Animal Crossing wasn't released until November 2016. That was the first official release of Panel de Pon content in quite some time, and if you consider the Flower Fairy outfit as "close enough" then it was the first (bar a small easter egg from the GBC days) and greatest exposure the West has had to Lip herself. I could've seen Sakurai learning of it while scouting out Animal Crossing for other reasons and being moved by the revival, but I doubt plans for it were that far in development at that point in time.
I can't see how it hurts her chances, other than non exposure in west at the time.
If she was the most popular retro at the time, I don't think that would be a problem.
If Sakurai could see the diversity of request for Lip in the west, hence never appeared there, why should "that" stop Sakurai for adding a character which is asked for in the west? Lucas, Marth and Roy were all at some point added, without having any exposure in the west, and Lip even has it going for her that fans from the west want to see her, which R, M and L did not have. (Arguably on Lucas).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If anything I'd say this news hurts Lip's chances, considering the Puzzle League content in Animal Crossing wasn't released until November 2016. That was the first official release of Panel de Pon content in quite some time, and if you consider the Flower Fairy outfit as "close enough" then it was the first (bar a small easter egg from the GBC days) and greatest exposure the West has had to Lip herself. I could've seen Sakurai learning of it while scouting out Animal Crossing for other reasons and being moved by the revival, but I doubt plans for it were that far in development at that point in time.
To be fair, what if the Panel de Pon references in New Leaf was in response to the Ballot?

If I recall correctly, wasn't it stated in the ballot that the votes may be used for future projects? Maybe it doesn't necessarily just apply to Smash, but Nintendo's projects in general. Like they saw this character was popular, so they decided to give them some cameo's or appearances in different upcoming titles. But again, that's just conjecture on my part.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How well did Lip do in the ballot again?
Nobody knows (Besides Sakurai and Nintendo themselves), since the results where never released. All we know is that Bayonetta was first in Europe and fifth in America and overall first worldwide.
The rest is all speculation.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Compared to all the other retro's, I believe the only one that has a better chance than Lip is Balloon Fighter.
The whole Excitebike thing was never huge during Smash 4, it was something that came now, with Taka down, and Villager's Up-B, people needed to find something which was not Japan exclusive, and have been mentioned before by Sakurai, but honestly, if I see Excitebiker as a playable, I'd be shocked in all honesty. Even Mach Rider seems like a more viable choice, and you never hear people talk casually about him/her?

Top Bottom