• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's not even that much work. Panel de Pon is a puzzle game, hardly one of the most text-heavy genres in existence.

I could chip something in (probably not art but maybe a sum towards a commission somewhere).
Funny you should mention commissions. Considering our odds on ever getting a serviceable 3D model of Lip are fairly low (unless she ends up being in SSB5 of course), I was thinking about commissioning a 3D model from a 3D artist, most likely Rafa Knight. I don't have the funds at the moment, though. I was considering asking all of the Lip fans reading this thread--the ones who have money at least--to chip in and get this funded, but I don't know what the forum's policy is on asking for money/donations like that, so I decided it was better safe than sorry..

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
An interesting little tidbit/rumor I heard: Apparently the Sushi Striker project is being lead by someone who formerly produced Panel de Pon. As interesting as it is to see him move on to other things, and while it's still nice to see he hasn't left puzzle games completely in the rear-view mirror, I'd still love for him to "come home" someday. Sushi Striker's presentation is exactly what I want from a Panepon revival: a fleshed-out plot (kinda), a kicking soundtrack, anime cutscenes...

It's a crazy idea, but maybe there's some way to get his attention somehow after Sushi launches and convince him to start working on something to get the fairies back in the spotlight. It worked for Bring Callie Back (not to toot my own horn).

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Undertook a four hour long restoration process to restore one of the original artworks of Lip so I could use it in nice graphics. Do with it what you wish.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I could've sworn I saw a high resolution version of that image somewhere, but I can't find it.

Still, good work anyways!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So I don't know if this was ever brought up here or in the old thread but here's an interesting tidbit about the way Lip's Stick was implemented in Smash.

These are some concept arts for abilities for Kirby Super Star, including some scrapped ones. One particular ability, Flower, would cause flowers to grow on enemies, causing them to receive damage over time, pretty much what Lip's Stick does in Smash. Curiously, Kirby also gains a bow along with ability, a possible nod to Lip, which would make Lip's Stick in Smash make the reference go full circle.

Source: https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Kirby_Super_Star

PsychoJosh

Alright guys.

So Rafa Knight wasn't available to do 3D work for us due to a broken tablet, so I scouted around my channels for some 3D artists to make a model of our girl Lip. I found a guy named Tuncer Eren who has 11 years of experience making 3D models in Blender, and he's also a really good 2D artist to boot. So I got him to give us a first pass just to see what he's capable of, and this is what he produced.

It's still very rough, and there are some things that need tweaking - the legs and boots are based on Roll's SSB4 model, for example, and everything has very basic shading and materials. But I think it's a very strong start.

Also, he's asking $200 USD to finalize this model which is a discount as he didn't have any examples of characters in his portfolio. So I say we take his offer. Anyone willing to chip in?

edit:

Better bootsies

edit 2:

That's it for now. We'll pick this up later tonight.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Looking at this helps me appreciate how simply Lip's design is even more than usual. Simplicity works.

PsychoJosh

Looking at this helps me appreciate how simply Lip's design is even more than usual. Simplicity works.
This isn't the final model. Several things are going to be tweaked, namely her dress, her hair, her ears, flowers and her ribbon.

The textures aren't finished either. Once the UV maps are done it'll look much nicer.

PsychoJosh

Another little update. Toon shader has been applied. There's still a few things left to tweak before re-texturing, but once it's done it should look very high quality. If all goes well it might be finished by the end of today.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Another little update. Toon shader has been applied. There's still a few things left to tweak before re-texturing, but once it's done it should look very high quality. If all goes well it might be finished by the end of today.

Good **** Garf.

I'm FunAtParties on discord. I'll hold true to my word and chip in. Just tell me where and when.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Here's where we're at right now. Bigger ribbon, properly droopy eyes, and less poofy skirt. Still a few things I feel could be worked on, but I have to say, I'm loving how this is coming along!

PsychoJosh

To think that earlier on this very page you were saying that we'd never get a serviceable 3D model of Lipple.

Where would you be without me, huh?

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Maybe we could send this model to Bandai-Namco and Nintendo for Sakurai to see... who knows what they might think? :laugh:
You can do what you like with it, I'm planning on this model to be public domain, so people can download it and tinker with it for fan works. Animations, game projects... whatever you like.

It's not rigged yet though, that'll cost an extra $100. So if you guys want it rigged we'll need to raise $300 total. I can chip in about $100. I may even be able to get something going in Unreal Engine 4 with her.

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord

Here's where we're at right now. Bigger ribbon, properly droopy eyes, and less poofy skirt. Still a few things I feel could be worked on, but I have to say, I'm loving how this is coming along!
This looks amazing! Its pretty much spot-on in terms of proportions. Perhaps the sleeves of her shirt could be a little bigger and poofier, but otherwise I think this looks fantastic.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, the sleeves I feel could stand to be larger. I've kept pushing for it, but so far it's stayed as you see up there, and it looks like the modeler is taking a short break from Lippy anyway.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Lips day over in the RTC, please come show your support.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Today is Lip's day in Rate Their Chances. If you want to show your support for her, now's the time!

In my opinion, with whats been happening with Lip and Panel de Pon throughout these past few years makes me feel like there are hints that something bigger is gonna happen to her and the franchise. I will be making comparisons to what happened with Takamaru before his appearance in Smash. After all, it feels like they are in the same boat. I feel like they are going the same route with Lip as they did Takamaru. In Takamaru's case, Nintendo Land is a game about attractions of Nintendo's crew as expected, but out of the blue and for no reason at all, Takamaru gets one too. In which of course felt out of place, unless they were was hinting at something bigger for him in the future. Like..... finally his game came out in the west and boom Takamaru made it in as an assist trophy. Now in Lip's case again I feel it's kinda the same thing. Why out of all things did they choose Puzzle League to be what you play on the 3DS in Animal Crossing? They also didn't stop there. They found it was necessary to go the extra length to include Lip as a costume. Almost like they want us to get to know her better before doing something bigger for her. I can totally see us getting Lip / Panel de Pon here in the west or possibly get a newer game in the franchise. All thanks to Lip's inclusion in Smash. It's Lip's time to shine.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't know if I've mentioned this before: I'm hoping, I really am hoping, that the Smash Bros. team at Sora and HAL Laboratory paid attention to the ballot and realized there are at least a few international Smash players who know about Lip, miss her, and want to see her come back, whether that's in Smash Bros. or not--I'll happily count myself one of them. I know in my heart that's probably foolish and naive, and it's more likely they never read our votes at all (they're just a few out of millions, after all), but you have to hold on to whatever faint glimmers of hope you can get in these dark times, I guess.

PsychoJosh

I'm seeing a lot of high want percentages for Lip, even if they're pessimistic about her actual chances (unreasonably so, in my opinion)

So regardless of what happens, take solace in the fact that she is clearly loved. Even a meme character like Sans didn't get this much praise.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Lip is about complete. We're ready to start the retexturing and then she should look very much like an official render from Nintendo themselves.

Now don't misunderstand me here, but I'm sure more than a few of you guys are wondering how we tackled the inevitable issue of the underside of Lip's skirt, since that area very clearly has broad visibility due to her skirt being so wide open.

Putting it simply, I'm just not a fan of those huge black voids they used to censor the girls' upskirt portions in SSB4, I think they look awful and can potentially make the character harder to animate because of being unable to tell where the legs connect to the body. So I made the executive decision to just give her simple-looking panties without making a big fuss about it. Basically the idea was to just treat it as any other part of the character. Her panties are light blue with a simple white flower ribbon on them - I was thinking it would be a way of making her seem more precocious in her personality, like "oh, she's still wearing underwear with flower decorations on them, I guess she's still a kid at heart". I won't post the images here but you'll be able to see it in the final version. It's very understated and simple-looking.

Hope that doesn't really bother you too much. lol

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Lip's at the top of my most wanted list right now.
Lip is about complete. We're ready to start the retexturing and then she should look very much like an official render from Nintendo themselves.

Now don't misunderstand me here, but I'm sure more than a few of you guys are wondering how we tackled the inevitable issue of the underside of Lip's skirt, since that area very clearly has broad visibility due to her skirt being so wide open.

Putting it simply, I'm just not a fan of those huge black voids they used to censor the girls' upskirt portions in SSB4, I think they look awful and can potentially make the character harder to animate because of being unable to tell where the legs connect to the body. So I made the executive decision to just give her simple-looking panties without making a big fuss about it. Basically the idea was to just treat it as any other part of the character. Her panties are light blue with a simple white flower ribbon on them - I was thinking it would be a way of making her seem more precocious in her personality, like "oh, she's still wearing underwear with flower decorations on them, I guess she's still a kid at heart". I won't post the images here but you'll be able to see it in the final version. It's very understated and simple-looking.

It's looking great.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That Lip model actually turned out amazing. About the one thing that bothers me is how the neck is a little too long, but other than that, it looks pretty legit.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

WOW! This looks AMAZING! I'm sorry if I sound "too hype" here, but I'm being legit serious when I say that you all have done nothing short of a bang-up job here. No joke, this might be the first GOOD 3D Lip I've ever seen (BTW, NO offense whatsoever to anyone else out there who's worked on a 3D Lip model).

For the record, the following criticisms I'm about say are NOT to discourage anyone. These are just my observations and you all are totally free to ignore me here. So here they are:

- I can't tell if you guys have "inflated" the shoulder sections of her dress though, as I also feel that they should be poofy too.

- I feel as though her neck shouldn't be visible

- Her eyes should be a tad more narrow, but that's probably just me.

Otherwise, I can't wait to see the finished model!

So I don't know if this was ever brought up here or in the old thread but here's an interesting tidbit about the way Lip's Stick was implemented in Smash.

These are some concept arts for abilities for Kirby Super Star, including some scrapped ones. One particular ability, Flower, would cause flowers to grow on enemies, causing them to receive damage over time, pretty much what Lip's Stick does in Smash. Curiously, Kirby also gains a bow along with ability, a possible nod to Lip, which would make Lip's Stick in Smash make the reference go full circle.

Source: https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Kirby_Super_Star
You know, this was something that actually WORRIED me at one point in time about Lip's Stick being Smash. Please bear with me, as this might feel a bit long-winded of an explanation of my worries...

If anyone remembers, Kirby's Parasol was a usable item in Melee, the same Smash game that Lip's Stick would make its debut.

Later down the line, I'd hear that Kirby was considered to have a 'Flower' copy ability in KSS, and that wouldn't have bothered in any way except for one thing: the effects of Flower Kirby's attacks seemed really similar to Lip's Stick in Smash.

Mind you, Lip's Stick in Panel de Pon has never stuck a flower on anyone's head and drain their life force, thus making me wonder...was it possible that Lip's Stick was intended to be a Kirby item rather than a Panel de Pon item?

I don't know if I've mentioned this before: I'm hoping, I really am hoping, that the Smash Bros. team at Sora and HAL Laboratory paid attention to the ballot and realized there are at least a few international Smash players who know about Lip, miss her, and want to see her come back, whether that's in Smash Bros. or not--I'll happily count myself one of them. I know in my heart that's probably foolish and naive, and it's more likely they never read our votes at all (they're just a few out of millions, after all), but you have to hold on to whatever faint glimmers of hope you can get in these dark times, I guess.
To be fair, Nintendo's a tad more clear on the details in Japan about the Smash Ballot. Specifically, the JP version of the Smash Ballot page states that whatever info is sent in through the Ballot (in all regions) WILL be taken into account for ALL future Smash games. That said, I wouldn't worry TOO much about Lip getting into Smash. If it doesn't happen now, it'll be SOMEWHERE down the line.

Hey, if Nintendo managed to make Takamaru (and Prince Sable) relevant (Well, SORT OF relevant in Prince Sable's case, I guess) and make the DUCK HUNT DOG playable in a Smash game (One of my most wanted characters for Smash, BTW), Lip can't possibly have to wait too much longer.

BTW, can anyone translate this?

Not going to lie, I'm getting some SERIOUS negative connotations out of this. Like, I'm a little worried that it's supposed to be a joke depicting Lip and her daughter(?) Furil falling on (relatively) low times after Furil's game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Here's a translation of that pic:

upload_2018-5-26_22-45-31.png

The context seems to be, it's a "behind the scenes" look at what happened between the games. Furil is in training to become the main character of the sequel but doesn't think she's doing very well at all. Lip is being a good mom and reassuring her (but also telling her to eat her veggies, because, again, mom). It's not as sad as it looks at first glance.

- I can't tell if you guys have "inflated" the shoulder sections of her dress though, as I also feel that they should be poofy too.

- I feel as though her neck shouldn't be visible

- Her eyes should be a tad more narrow, but that's probably just me.
The shoulders are a bit bigger than they were before. I feel they're perfectly poofy the way there are. The eyes are fine, but I feel you on the neck. Now that I'm looking at it again, it's probably a wee bit too long.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Here's a translation of that pic:

The context seems to be, it's a "behind the scenes" look at what happened between the games. Furil is in training to become the main character of the sequel but doesn't think she's doing very well at all. Lip is being a good mom and reassuring her (but also telling her to eat her veggies, because, again, mom). It's not as sad as it looks at first glance.
Ah, I see. Honestly, this sounds a LOT better than what I initially thought this was.

Basically, I thought this was just some jab at how Panel de Pon/Puzzle League hasn't had a new game in quite some time after the failure that was Planet Puzzle League, and how Lip and Furil (and possibly their fairy co-stars) are starting to fall on hard times because of that game. I have to say, the small dinner(?) and run-down room (apartment?) they appear to be in doesn't help matters.
Also, is that a portrait of Cordelia in the corner? I wonder whatever happened to her come Furil's game, actually...

I'm glad that's apparently not the case here.

The shoulders are a bit bigger than they were before. I feel they're perfectly poofy the way there are. The eyes are fine, but I feel you on the neck. Now that I'm looking at it again, it's probably a wee bit too long.
Speaking of this, I forgot to mention the ears. I'll admit that I don't exactly have that great a view of them right now, but I feel like they should be a bit more... rounded, so to speak.

PsychoJosh

Not going to lie, I'm getting some SERIOUS negative connotations out of this. Like, I'm a little worried that it's supposed to be a joke depicting Lip and her daughter(?) Furil falling on (relatively) low times after Furil's game.
This image is the actually first of a pair of two images. It's parodying the anime film "Grave of the Fireflies" (which has unfortunate implications, if you've ever watched that movie and seen how it ends).

I hate to break your heart, but it is supposed to be tragic. Here's the second comic, and if you've never seen Grave of the Fireflies, this particular scene... well, let's just say it doesn't end in a happy way. As with all manga it's read backwards.

[Panel 2]
Lip: "I bought a whole bunch of eggs and rice cakes."

[Panel 3]
Lip: "...Furil?"

"What have you been doing this whole time?"

[Panel 4]
Lip: "Furil!!"
"These... these are marbles! They're not panels!"

[Panel 5]
Lip: "I have something here that's much better than those..."

Furil: "M-Mom, here..."

[Panel 6]
Furil: "Okay, I got rid of five of 'em..."

[Panel 7]
Furil: "I'll get a 3X chain too..."

[Panel 8]
Furil: "Can you... get rid of them for me...?"

[Lip is looking tearfully, and appears to be holding a copy of Planet Puzzle League for the Nintendo DS]

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Ah geez. I've never been less happy to be wrong. (Well, except for SSB4.)

Speaking of this, I forgot to mention the ears. I'll admit that I don't exactly have that great a view of them right now, but I feel like they should be a bit more... rounded, so to speak.
Pointier, you mean?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This image is the actually first of a pair of two images. It's parodying the anime film "Grave of the Fireflies" (which has unfortunate implications, if you've ever watched that movie and seen how it ends).

I hate to break your heart, but it is supposed to be tragic. Here's the second comic, and if you've never seen Grave of the Fireflies, this particular scene... well, let's just say it doesn't end in a happy way. As with all manga it's read backwards.

[Panel 2]
Lip: "I bought a whole bunch of eggs and rice cakes."

[Panel 3]
Lip: "...Furil?"

"What have you been doing this whole time?"

[Panel 4]
Lip: "Furil!!"
"These... these are marbles! They're not panels!"

[Panel 5]
Lip: "I have something here that's much better than those..."

Furil: "M-Mom, here..."

[Panel 6]
Furil: "Okay, I got rid of five of 'em..."

[Panel 7]
Furil: "I'll get a 3X chain too..."

[Panel 8]
Furil: "Can you... get rid of them for me...?"

[Lip is looking tearfully, and appears to be holding a copy of Planet Puzzle League for the Nintendo DS]
Ayyeeee, this hurts to witness.

Though again, this happened long before anything we've done up to this point since Brawl-days, presuming this happened around the beginning of Lip's support overall. Things have quite changed a bit towards better since. :ohwell:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
In my opinion, with whats been happening with Lip and Panel de Pon throughout these past few years makes me feel like there are hints that something bigger is gonna happen to her and the franchise. I will be making comparisons to what happened with Takamaru before his appearance in Smash. After all, it feels like they are in the same boat. I feel like they are going the same route with Lip as they did Takamaru. In Takamaru's case, Nintendo Land is a game about attractions of Nintendo's crew as expected, but out of the blue and for no reason at all, Takamaru gets one too. In which of course felt out of place, unless they were was hinting at something bigger for him in the future. Like..... finally his game came out in the west and boom Takamaru made it in as an assist trophy. Now in Lip's case again I feel it's kinda the same thing. Why out of all things did they choose Puzzle League to be what you play on the 3DS in Animal Crossing? They also didn't stop there. They found it was necessary to go the extra length to include Lip as a costume. Almost like they want us to get to know her better before doing something bigger for her. I can totally see us getting Lip / Panel de Pon here in the west or possibly get a newer game in the franchise. All thanks to Lip's inclusion in Smash. It's Lip's time to shine.
Hmm... those are some pretty sound notions you have there...

undefined
Ah geez. I've never been less happy to be wrong. (Well, except for SSB4.)
Ayyeeee, this hurts to witness.

Though again, this happened long before anything we've done up to this point since Brawl-days, presuming the this happened around the beginning of Lip's support overall. Things have quite changed a bit towards better since. :ohwell:
Oh, God. I was REALLY hoping I wasn't right about my belief of this comic basically being a jab at how the series has been near-dormant since Planet Puzzle League, but it looks like I was...:urg:

This'll sound weird, but this is making me support the idea of Furil at least getting to be an alt. skin of Lip, if nothing else. Hopefully, the exposure would give her another chance at relevance, if not her mom.

Just please tell me Furil wasn't about to kick the bucket here.:sadeyes:

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

This'll sound weird, but this is making me support the idea of Furil at least getting to be an alt. skin of Lip, if nothing else. Hopefully, the exposure would give her another chance at relevance, if not her mom.
Just let Lip grow up healthy, she'll take care of Furil.

Just please tell me Furil wasn't about to kick the bucket here.:sadeyes:
Just put it out of your mind. I'll leave a spoiler here for you telling you what happens, if you really want to know.

Furil is in the role of the character Setsuko, and in this scene in the movie, Setsuko is delirious from extreme hunger. Her older brother Seita (Lip's character) arrives with food, but he is simply too late, and Setsuko slips into a coma and dies of starvation. Seita cremates her body, and a few weeks later, he too dies of malnutrition in a train station.

Cheer up! Don't worry about it. Lip and Furil are invincible as long as they have your love.

Promise~

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Tsu is low-key my favorite character on that show, so far.
Tsu is a great character, what can I say?

As for Lip... man, she's in a weird spot. On the one hand, Sakurai knows who she is, but on the other, he seems content leaving her obscure. She's never even had a trophy, though her weapon has.

ribbit

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'll say it now.

I'd be content with her just being an Assist Trophy, at the very least. Obviously the more optimal choice would be for her to be playable, but with her being an Assist, it would at least raise awareness of her character and her series, in similar ways Saki Amamiya, Takamaru and Prince Sable have.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I really hope so! I could see her popping out, using her stick to make those blocks fly from the sky, and hit the opponents. Would be cool way to get her into the awareness scene of Smash for now. Still, playable, one day!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I agree. Obviously I'm still holding out for a playable role, but any acknowledgement at all, even via Assist Trophy, would make my day at this point.

Top Bottom