• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I agree. Lip supporters need to stick together, after all!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Some Lip alts. These are mostly based on the ones from the Composite Moveset with some alterations here and there.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Those are really cool. I hope that if/when<3 she gets included that she will have some palletes based on the other fairies of PDP.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Those are really cool. I hope that if/when<3 she gets included that she will have some palletes based on the other fairies of PDP.
These are actually all based on other Panel de Pon characters. Left to right, top to bottom: Windy, Sherbet, Thiana, Ruby, Elias, Flare, and Seren. It strikes me as a very Smash Bros. thing to do!

For a while I briefly considered replacing the Elias alt with a Neris one because I wasn't sure how visually different I could make it from the Sherbet one, but ultimately I'm glad I did because the Neris alt would probably have the same issue with the Ruby alt.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't personally care about Lip but I really want her to get in because of her fans. She keeps being shafted in favor of the Lip's stick item. It must be frustrating watching that happen every time. She's a totally deserving character. And her fans deserve this win.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't personally care about Lip but I really want her to get in because of her fans. She keeps being shafted in favor of the Lip's stick item. It must be frustrating watching that happen every time. She's a totally deserving character. And her fans deserve this win.
Very nice of you to say that. It makes me happy to see that more and more people, even those who don't personally support Lip, are coming to realize she deserves a chance to shine on her own. They can't keep the fairies in Japan forever, you know!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know, with how popular Puyo Puyo is, you'd think Nintendo would've realized that there is a market for competitive puzzle games with a cast of quirky and lovable characters.

Where my Puyo Puyo X Puzzle League at, Ninty?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd argue they do. They're just capitalizing on it by wasting money on designing entirely new characters and settings for Sushi Striker instead of reviving a cult classic with more market now than ever.

Actually, with how Japanese everything about Sushi Striker is... why is Panel de Pon too Japanese to market over here, but an undubbed game about matching sushi in a thinly-veiled Japan analog with anime cutscenes in-between stages just fine? Is it because the hero is a boy? Hm.

Where my Puyo Puyo X Puzzle League at, Ninty?
I know this is a joke but I would actually pay money for Puyo Puyo vs. Panel de Pon. Nintendo and Sega aren't averse to crossing over, after all... Make it happen, guys!

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I've checked out more about Lip and the game she's from and I've found it pretty fun. I'd really like her in. Though I'm pretty curious on her chances.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
With how few major IPs, and new games from existing IPs, have been released between 2014 and 2018, I think Nintendo will have to look back at their history to fill out the roster for this Smash. Lip's chances might be better than we expect this time around.

Heck, she's not even really Japan-exclusive anymore. While I'm sure this doesn't mean anything, as of 2016, which is about when SSB5 started development, Lip got her first real bit of exposure to international audiences in New Leaf. Considering that was the reason Takamaru ended up an Assist Trophy... (The sticker in Brawl is of Furil, so that doesn't count.)

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
She just seems like she'd be a good fit in the game. No telling if she'll get in or not. Giving her more exposure and popularity is just a bonus.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd argue they do. They're just capitalizing on it by wasting money on designing entirely new characters and settings for Sushi Striker instead of reviving a cult classic with more market now than ever.

Actually, with how Japanese everything about Sushi Striker is... why is Panel de Pon too Japanese to market over here, but an undubbed game about matching sushi in a thinly-veiled Japan analog with anime cutscenes in-between stages just fine? Is it because the hero is a boy? Hm.
Some food for thought there indeed - but again, I guess it's just more of subsidiary-based thing, since this regards more IndiesZero than Intelligent Systems.I guess the former were more enthutiastic to push their very Japanese games to the market compared to I.S, who seems less experimental (yet pander out to no end now that they stroke such gold with Fire Emblem... ech.)

However, I'd say there's bit of a silver lining we see such games as Sushi Strikers or even more "Japanese" games, like whatever Compile Hearts has managed to localize out - I think sooner or later, we'll see Lip pop in compared to decades back, in case there's consideration to bring her and other fairies to series again due changed times.

I know this is a joke but I would actually pay money for Puyo Puyo vs. Panel de Pon. Nintendo and Sega aren't averse to crossing over, after all... Make it happen, guys!
I'd love to see something like it too - but I wonder how it'd work in balanced fashion after how Tetris dominated out Puyo in Puyo Puyo Tetris at competitive play.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd love to see something like it too - but I wonder how it'd work in balanced fashion after how Tetris dominated out Puyo in Puyo Puyo Tetris at competitive play.
The balancing is a tricky issue, yeah. In my personal experience, garbage is harder to clear in Puyo Puyo than in Panel de Pon (MUCH harder) while combos are trickier to set up, so probably send less garbage from the Panel de Pon side to the Puyo Puyo side and more from vice-versa.

...It's always possible this is horribly unbalanced, though. Just to be safe, don't ever take my advice for balancing games. ^^;

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

I figured this would be appropriate for today.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ugh, still Ridleyboards? It's like 3 AM here in a minute... (Biggest complain is that it's hard to read things and navigate)

Anywho, cool poster nontheless. Even tho, size should not be an issue, we have stated it for 'Ridley for ages, but Lip is really not that hard, thinking Captain Olimar, and eventually Chibi-Robo, both are small, but would have to be/been resized for Smash. Same with Bowser.

Cynthwave

Smash Rookie
TBH I feel as a business move, bringing back PDP would be a smart choice seeing the success of Puyo Puyo Pop, its clear that the masses love puzzle games like this, I mean look at Candy Crush (lol)
Lip needs to be in smash, add me to that list

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Anywho, cool poster nontheless. Even tho, size should not be an issue, we have stated it for 'Ridley for ages, but Lip is really not that hard, thinking Captain Olimar, and eventually Chibi-Robo, both are small, but would have to be/been resized for Smash. Same with Bowser.
It was a goofy little joke for April Fool's, not really anything serious. I've always imagined Lip to be in the 4-foot range.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
TBH I feel as a business move, bringing back PDP would be a smart choice seeing the success of Puyo Puyo Pop, its clear that the masses love puzzle games like this, I mean look at Candy Crush (lol)
Lip needs to be in smash, add me to that list
Honestly, PuyoPuyo Tetris x Panel de Pon is an idea I'm surprised didn't flash through some executive's head when putting out that game on the Switch. I think if we can't have that, then we're overdue for a Nintendo Puzzle Collection (similar to a real version of that canceled Gamecube game) complete with a Panel de Pon/Puzzle League that has Lip and the fairies along side Dr. Mario/Dr. Luigi and Yoshi's Cookie.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think if we can't have that, then we're overdue for a Nintendo Puzzle Collection (similar to a real version of that canceled Gamecube game) complete with a Panel de Pon/Puzzle League that has Lip and the fairies along side Dr. Mario/Dr. Luigi and Yoshi's Cookie.
I've had the idea for a Nintendo Puzzle Collection 2 (Yoshi's Cookie + Panel de Pon + Dr. Mario + Yoshi + Kirby's Star Stacker + Pokemon Trozei?) for the longest time...

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah like something that packed would be an instabuy. Especially if it had online play.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah like something that packed would be an instabuy. Especially if it had online play.
See? Puzzle games, even puzzle games with cute Japanese-y characters, aren't a hard sell anymore. If you're not sold on Panel de Pon, you could buy it for Dr. Mario or Kirby's Star Stacker instead and have the fairies hanging around as a little bonus. It worked for Puyo Puyo Tetris, after all!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Here's a question that comes to mind.

If Lip got in, would her design be based on her near identical daughter Furil? Or would it be updated with a new design all together?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration

If Lip got in, would her design be based on her near identical daughter Furil? Or would it be updated with a new design all together?
Considering Furil is an entirely different character, I don't see why Lip's appearance would be based on her...?

Lucina shares a lot of design features with Marth, yet she is not called Marth in the game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Here's a thing! This is similar in concept to the Game & Watch Gallery games, but with a different IP--it's based on the game Green House. I unfortunately don't have the programming skills to make this a reality, as simplistic as that game is, but I'd love to make it happen one of these days.

They're similar enough in design that I could see Furil being an alt, but since Lip would be one of this game's retro characters if she makes it in, I feel like that's unlikely. Lip is over 20 years old, Furil is only 15 or so.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
She would be adorbs. I really want her to join despite not playing a real PDP game yet....
Except Animal Crossing League which i'm trying to unlock for her costume atm :yeahboi:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
She would be adorbs. I really want her to join despite not playing a real PDP game yet....
Except Animal Crossing League which i'm trying to unlock for her costume atm :yeahboi:
I highly recommend you play the original game. It's the game Lip comes from, the gameplay is as solid as ever, and the soundtrack is by far the best in the series. You're all but guaranteed to fall in love with it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I also agree with that statement. Try out the original Panel De Pon, it's really something special.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I highly recommend you play the original game. It's the game Lip comes from, the gameplay is as solid as ever, and the soundtrack is by far the best in the series. You're all but guaranteed to fall in love with it.
I also agree with that statement. Try out the original Panel De Pon, it's really something special.
Now if only Nintendo would realize that already...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Now if only Nintendo would realize that already...
Ehh, they're too busy putting unnecessary effort into Sushi Striker. Maybe after that flops. (Of course, knowing them, they'd probably take that as conclusive proof that cute, competitive action-puzzle games are officially a dead genre, despite all evidence to the contrary.)

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
We'll see if it flops, but I'm certainly not buying it.

Looks closer to an iPhone game like Candy Crush than a game with actual depth to it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
We'll see if it flops, but I'm certainly not buying it.

Looks closer to an iPhone game like Candy Crush than a game with actual depth to it.
If it succeeds, it could end up as baby steps for Nintendo easing themselves into deeper, more competitive gameplay. As it is, though, you're right on the money. (But honestly, a game with fairly little competitive depth won't have much if any shelf life in the competitive scene.)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Please give me an opportunity to use this image, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems/Sora.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I've been wanting to hop around some of the support threads for characters I like and post my moveset ideas and palette swaps. I've already posted my ideas for a revamped Zelda, you can check that out here.

Lip is a character I really want to see, as she could bring quite a lot to the table being a puzzle-based fighter. Most of my ideas aren't new, to be honest I kind of just synthesized all of the great ideas I've seen posted here into my ideal Lip moveset. I hope you like it!

~~~~~​
  • Her unique mechanic would be the combo counter, which will factor into her Down Special.
  • Jab, tilts, and aerials would all be the triple pops as suggested by RouffWestie. These would be great for building up her combo counter.
  • Forward Smash would function like a weaker version of the Lip's Stick item.
  • Up Smash would have her swish the Lip's Stick in an arc above her head, creating a rainbow effect (think Peach's u-air but more powerful).
  • Down Smash would be Mr. Time, inspired by RouffWestie's concept. Functionally similar to Villager's down special, but instead of temporarily burying them it simply freezes them in place.
Neutral Special: Panel
  • Lip conjures up a panel. She can throw these around to damage opponents. They can be used as platforms/barriers. They are destructible, and there can be up to three out at a time.
  • Matching all three together (simply by making them touch) causes them to explode with a satisfying pop. This way, she can sort of set up little "traps" comparable to Duck Hunt's tin can move.
  • (Someone else mentioned Kragg from Rivals of Aether, I think his stone blocks are a good comparison for how the physics would work.)
Side Special: Cursor Swap
  • The two-square cursor from PDP appears: one square around Lip, and the other just in front. She can use it to swap places with anything in front of her, including her own panels, other items, fighters, and projectile attacks.
  • It would have many uses:
    • Positioning her panels to set up combos
    • Flipping opponents around to disrupt and disorient them, much like Mario's cape
    • Dodge an oncoming projectile by simply swapping positions with it, allowing the projectile to continue its trajectory behind her while she remains unscathed
Up Special: Watabou
  • Watabou appears and gently lifts Lip into the air, as seen in PDP's title screen. Functionally similar to Duck Hunt's recovery.
Down Special: Garbage Block
  • Lip swishes her wand downward and summons a trash block from above.
  • It's size (and damage) is determined by the length of her most recent combo. This provides a good incentive to encourage a combo-based playstyle.
~~~~~​

(Click for better quality)

They are inspired by other PDP characters:
Lip | Windy | Sherbet | Thiana | Elias
Ruby | Flare | Neris | Seren | Cordelia

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That sounds like a lot of fun to play. I'm really thinking I should have tried incorporating the combo counter into my composite moveset somehow--in hindsight it just seems like such an obvious addition that would have added so much character to Lip as a fighter. It probably wouldn't have fit the theme though.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah, I was going to do a move set for Lip at some point to the extent/level of detail as the one I did for the Takamaru thread, but it seems like we're all in consensus about her core mechanic (combos) and special moves (a combination of Watabou, PdP's Cursor, Mr. Time and Garbage Blocks). I would love to take a shot at her normals (jabs/tilts/smashes) with folks though!

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
My favorite idea for a unique Up Special is Lip raising a platform made of blocks, 6 blocks wide and a few blocks tall, from the first spot of ground below her (or the bottom blastzone, if she's offstage). It'd have a quick rising animation, then stick on the screen for a set amount of time before popping away. During the rising animation, it'd boost Lip with a big jump, or launch opponents upwards with substantial knockback. While sticking up and before starting to disappear, it could be used as a solid platform by anyone. The downside is that you wouldn't be able to use it again while the previous platform was still around, and since you couldn't do anything to speed up its departure you'd be out of luck if you got yourself into a tricky situation.

Recovery would be interesting, as you'd have a mix-up of either regaining your normal jumps or timing it for one half-screen leap. Used offensively, being able to attack from far below you would keep your opponent on their toes while they're trying to juggle you. Spawning a platform by the ledge would force a hanging opponent to either wait it out and lose invincibility or try to recover high and risk getting punished. There'd be a lot of fun to be had in teams as well, since you could both help your partner recover or set your opponent up to get comboed. Problems could arise when multiple Lips stack their block platforms on top of one another and end up creating a death pillar, but they'd be fun problems to have.

Raising your own blocks to get combo material is an important mechanic in Panel de Pon, and while I'm taking liberties to make it work in the context of Smash I think the emphasis on situational awareness would still be true to the series.

Top Bottom