The Enemy With Social Anxiety: Shy Guy For Smash!

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie

WHO?:
Shy Guy is a character that serves as an obstacle in the Famicom game Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic where they were a minion of the nefarious King Wart. American and European audiences may remember him better as a mook in the game Super Mario Bros. 2 (also known as Super Mario Bros. USA in Japan). They've gone on to serve as a loyal subject to Kamek the Majic Koppa in the Yoshi's Island series. Shy Guy is also always ready for parties or tennis. They've also seem to have a variety of sub-species.

Why?:
Shy Guy is the second biggest piece of iconography in the Yoshi's Island series being heavily featured on several boxarts and having a perfect attendance record. Given that the Yoshi series has a consistent presence on Nintendo's consoles it could be argued its underrepresented in Smash Bros. Like his Mario enemy counterpart, Piranha Plant, there is a variety of Shy Guy variants that could be used to develop a moveset. This includes (but not limited to):

Stilt Guy- uses stilts

Boo Guy -uses bombs

Pyro Guy - equipped with fire

Zeus Guy - manipulates electricity

Glide Guy- uses an umbrella to float

Snifit- fires a projectile

Ghost Shy Guy-&Spear Guy Uses a spinning spear attack

Needless to say a lot of moveset potential here.

What's his playstyle?:
Given the amount of long ranged moves here a lightweight zoner playstyle seems to make the most sense. Big Body may also make sense to emphasize the character's protective mask and general well...shyness.

Supporters:
Peridorito

Last edited:
Count me in as a supporter! I know this isn't a very popular choice for a character, at least here on smashboards, but I really like the idea of him being added!
Especially as a Mario Kart rep! Definitely not something a lot of people would expect, but hear me out! He'd be perfect for it! I've even made a moveset to demonstrate my idea:

Shy Guy Moveset.jpg

Here's a link to the moveset image elsewhere, as smashboards compresses images quite harshly, to the point where most of my movesets aren't readable! https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49166067733/in/dateposted-public/

NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I support Shy Guy, put me on the support list. I think Shy Guy's moveset should mostly be based on all the different Shy Guys in Shy Guy's Toy Box. He would be such a fun character if they went that route.