• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Enemy With Social Anxiety: Shy Guy For Smash!

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie

WHO?:
Shy Guy is a character that serves as an obstacle in the Famicom game Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic where they were a minion of the nefarious King Wart. American and European audiences may remember him better as a mook in the game Super Mario Bros. 2 (also known as Super Mario Bros. USA in Japan). They've gone on to serve as a loyal subject to Kamek the Majic Koppa in the Yoshi's Island series. Shy Guy is also always ready for parties or tennis. They've also seem to have a variety of sub-species.

Why?:
Shy Guy is the second biggest piece of iconography in the Yoshi's Island series being heavily featured on several boxarts and having a perfect attendance record. Given that the Yoshi series has a consistent presence on Nintendo's consoles it could be argued its underrepresented in Smash Bros. Like his Mario enemy counterpart, Piranha Plant, there is a variety of Shy Guy variants that could be used to develop a moveset. This includes (but not limited to):

Stilt Guy- uses stilts

Boo Guy -uses bombs

Pyro Guy - equipped with fire

Zeus Guy - manipulates electricity

Glide Guy- uses an umbrella to float

Snifit- fires a projectile

Ghost Shy Guy-&Spear Guy Uses a spinning spear attack

Needless to say a lot of moveset potential here.

What's his playstyle?:
Given the amount of long ranged moves here a lightweight zoner playstyle seems to make the most sense. Big Body may also make sense to emphasize the character's protective mask and general well...shyness.

Supporters:
Peridorito

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Count me in as a supporter! I know this isn't a very popular choice for a character, at least here on smashboards, but I really like the idea of him being added!
Especially as a Mario Kart rep! Definitely not something a lot of people would expect, but hear me out! He'd be perfect for it! I've even made a moveset to demonstrate my idea:

Shy Guy Moveset.jpg

Here's a link to the moveset image elsewhere, as smashboards compresses images quite harshly, to the point where most of my movesets aren't readable! https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49166067733/in/dateposted-public/

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I support Shy Guy, put me on the support list. I think Shy Guy's moveset should mostly be based on all the different Shy Guys in Shy Guy's Toy Box. He would be such a fun character if they went that route.

D

Deleted member

A character with social anxiety like myself?

I support.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
After Piranha Plant was added in Ultimate, I have hope for Shy Guy, if not this time around, then at some point in the future.

Not even kidding, ever since using him in Mario Power Tennis when I was like 7 or 8 years old, Shy Guy has been my favorite Mario character overall, and my main character of choice in anything he's had a playable role in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
After Piranha Plant was added in Ultimate, I have hope for Shy Guy, if not this time around, then at some point in the future.

Not even kidding, ever since using him in Mario Power Tennis when I was like 7 or 8 years old, Shy Guy has been my favorite Mario character overall, and my main character of choice in anything he's had a playable role in.
Shy Guy, Birdo, or Wart would all be awesome as the Subcon rep. I would be up for all of them no matter who it is. ;)

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I remember when i was a lil' bab, i loved playing as Shy Guy in Mario Kart DS with my cousins, when i got the game for myself and unlocked all the characters, i was super bummed to find out that i couldn't even play as the little dude in the main game (seriously, why was that ?), so i used an Action Replay just to be able to beat the Grand Prix with him. I even dressed up as him for Halloween 2007 (one of the easiest costumes to make btw) and he was the character i voted for in the smash ballot.

All of this to say that, he and i go way back, so of course i still support my little nervous friend ! Just kinda sad i didn't do it earlier.

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
You know, if they were to add another Mario enemy, Shy Guy would make a whole lot of sense. There's a whole whack of potential moves they can select for the moveset.
Yes I thought the same even they can consireded him as yoshi character or something... I am surprised how well is he doing it in the global smash roster

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I support. All I want is a white shy guy pallet swap as a reference to the good shy guys in yoshi story (well fly guys but still)

Last edited:
Top Bottom