• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Elder Scrolls Online

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Meh, I really don't think Elder Scrolls should jump to MMO. They should just stick to single player IMO, plus paying monthly to play sucks.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm actually quite enthusiastic about the idea. So as long as the gameplay stays true to The Elder Scrolls series, I will have no problem with this.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Makes me wonder...what happen to the Fallout mmo?
Absolutely nothing, hence the lawsuit to take back the licence from Interplay.

From early January said:
Bethesda stated in its complaint that Interplay failed to meet the conditions of the license. Those conditions required that Interplay secure $30 million in funding and begin development of the project within 24 months of the date of the agreement (April 4, 2007). Interplay would also need to launch the MMO within four years of the beginning of development, as well as pay Bethesda 12 percent of sales and subscription fees for the use of the Fallout IP.

Under the terms of the settlement, the license granted to Interplay is now null and void, with all rights granted to develop the Fallout MMO reverting back to Bethesda effective immediately.

finalark

SNORLAX
First trailer: http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1224248p1.html

First screen shot:

Third person with a cartoony art style and an emphasis on factions. I smell a WoW clone.

I was really hoping for same old Elder Scrolls but with tweaks to make the game more multiplayer friendly. But I got a generic, cookie cutter MMO with pretty much no respect for what made the series what it is.

Lame.

EDIT: You might as well just download a multiplayer mod for a normal ES game and it would be twice the game that this will be.

DOUBLE EDIT: The worst thing about this is that this was an opportunity to create an MMO that's truly unique and feels like its own thing rather than generic WoW clone number 271. I mean, ****, even Old Republic, the all mighty best alternative to WoW borrows it's cartoony art style and has many very similar mechanics and features. Jesus, we finally had a chance for an MMO to break out of the cookie-cutter "cartoony graphics and two factions" WoW formula that MMOs have been emulating for years. But **** that, its all about being WoW, right?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Okay, now I'm not very enthusiastic. My hope was for a game that plays like Oblivion, or Skyrim, whilst being able to play online with a massive amount of people. If what we get in the end is what's shown in the above screen shots, then I don't think I'll be interested in the least.

finalark

SNORLAX
The biggest shame is that Bethesda green lit a project that clearly didn't give a **** about ES' fans in favor of a cookie-cutter money generator.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The biggest shame is that Bethesda green lit a project that clearly didn't give a **** about ES' fans in favor of a cookie-cutter money generator.
That's exactly what it is. It's proof that they're starting to milk The Elder Scrolls if they haven't already. Though futile wishful thinking, I can only hope they either scrap this project altogether, or rebuild it from the ground up.

finalark

SNORLAX
Though futile wishful thinking, I can only hope they either scrap this project altogether, or rebuild it from the ground up.
Agreed. If you were to show me that screenshot and asked me what game it was from, I'd probably say some generic no-name mmo that will be quickly forgotten.

Sadly it would be very money inefficient for Bethesda to scrap the project and rebuild it from the ground up unless the game bombs really hard. In that case it they're more likely to just shut down the servers and sweep it under the rug like it never happened.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I get the feeling this MMO is gonna suck, and receive the Square treatment of trying to make it better through patches and updates. Those graphics look horrendous though. I mean, FF Online and DC Universe are better looking than that.

Doesn't matter, GW2 is my main interest.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I get the feeling this MMO is gonna suck, and receive the Square treatment of trying to make it better through patches and updates. Those graphics look horrendous though. I mean, FF Online and DC Universe are better looking than that.
I dunno about DCUO being better-looking. I mean, I own DCUO, and the visuals are pretty "meh" to me. Thankfully, the gameplay's pretty fun, if a bit repetitive... but I digress.

finalark

SNORLAX
FF Online and DC Universe are better looking than that.
Are we talking about FFXI or FFXIV? Because XI has some of the worst graphics I've even seen.

IDK, the graphics look like they're pretty much on par with old republic. Clearly its there to make running the game easy on lower-end computers.

Doesn't matter, GW2 is my main interest.
Agreed.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I was definitely not talking about FF11 lol. That game is really old. I just think given how far gaming in terms of power on both consoles and PC have come, there's no reason why Elder Scrolls shouldn't look clean and polished at least. I'm probably taking too much from that image, but that's how I sort of feel in regards to DC Universe. Very polished. That image on GameSpy seriously does look like WoW running on high settings or something. Old Republic definitely looks better than that.

Kal

Smash Champion
I honestly don't like Elder Scrolls. You spend most of your time traveling to do stupid bull ****, then you arrive at your destination, and the fighting mechanics are even less exciting. It's like a really long, slightly interactive, boring *** movie.

So I'm expecting the MMO to be better, honestly.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was definitely not talking about FF11 lol. That game is really old. I just think given how far gaming in terms of power on both consoles and PC have come, there's no reason why Elder Scrolls shouldn't look clean and polished at least. I'm probably taking too much from that image, but that's how I sort of feel in regards to DC Universe. Very polished. That image on GameSpy seriously does look like WoW running on high settings or something. Old Republic definitely looks better than that.
While I can agree with that, my biggest concern wasn't the graphics more so than it was for the gameplay. I mean, if they're not going to make it look as great and as detailed as Oblivion or Skyrim, then fine, I can forgive that. But when it plays like your vanilla MMO, be it WoW or Guild Wars, that's when I have a problem, because it wouldn't be recognizable as an Elder Scrolls game.

Top Bottom