• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Double Super Wavedash

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys, I've been playing around with this tech for awhile now and glad I am finally able to bring it to light as it's pretty insane. Since SWD is now two inputs in a four frame window instead of two inputs in a two frame window you are able to do it very consistently(probably 80-90% of the time) with practice, which is super important for this tech as you need to be able to SWD. This tech is a result of the mechanics of Samus's crawl.

What is it?:

The DSWD is exactly what it sounds like in appearance/functionality but a bit different in how it's preformed. During a DSWD you will SWD and then at any point of you flying across the level you instantly reverse your momentum and fly the opposite direction.

How it's preformed:

Do a SWD and face the direction you plan on travelling. At any point during you flying across the level crouch and then do a quarter circle back to the direction you were facing. If you did it right you will know.

Application:

DSWD can be used for insane cross-ups, surprise hits, edge guarding, grabbing the ledge, and other things. Doing an Ice upsmash on the way back or a dsmash is really devastating and almost impossible to punish. You can lay a bomb on the return path as well and fly through the air in bomb form(which you can actually SWD out of again if you are good enough). The mindgames you can pull with this along with the mobility it gives you are limitless.

Have fun with this crazy tech :p.

ask_thedoctor

Smash Rookie
It may be years too late for this... But why isn't it called the Speed Booster? Seems so apt to me. In any event, this will be awesome once I get the timing down. Do you know a way to have frames display on screen to make it easier to learn?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'll post what I was able to do tomorrow. I think "Bomb Dashing" should be the name.

It has nothing to do with a bomb though aside from the SWD >_>. Bomb is just an option out of it.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
It has nothing to do with a bomb though aside from the SWD >_>. Bomb is just an option out of it.
It can't be done without the bomb. The SWD is what I think should be changed to bomb dash, then obviously you would add another phrase to explain the second part that uses the crawl. SWD is to broad of a term in my opinion, plus you don't even Wavedash to achieve this lol.

Litt

Samus
Ok... 1 Hued... you dont even play samus in melee or brawl so you are no authority on this matter... this term has existed for much longer than you even playing the game and changing it just isnt happening. You can bomb, and wave dash back to the ground from the height you get from the explosion and some people refer to that as bomb dashing, so first and foremost that term is taken, and second stop arguing about this here, nothing is going to happen from it, and it just makes you look like a whiner. If you want to change the name for the tech, get really good at it, become the best with samus using it, and announce it as the tech that made you so good, until then, just don't waste everyone's time trying to argue about a name that has been around forever.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Oh, did I touch a nerve? Wow, I wasn't arguing, I was putting out my opinion of the name since it really doesn't really explain the actions taking place. It was simply a friendly suggestion, thats been blown way out of proportion.

You're trying to start an argument, by making assumptions about me,..when I played what I played and who I played with, you don't even know me, so I'd suggest you not act like you do. Your just talking KLit

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Ok... 1 Hued... you dont even play samus in melee or brawl so you are no authority on this matter... this term has existed for much longer than you even playing the game and changing it just isnt happening. You can bomb, and wave dash back to the ground from the height you get from the explosion and some people refer to that as bomb dashing, so first and foremost that term is taken, and second stop arguing about this here, nothing is going to happen from it, and it just makes you look like a whiner. If you want to change the name for the tech, get really good at it, become the best with samus using it, and announce it as the tech that made you so good, until then, just don't waste everyone's time trying to argue about a name that has been around forever.

This is unbelievably hostile for no good reason.

Seriously, take a damn step back from the screen, re-read this response and see how much you're over-reacting.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Annnyywaayyysss you're not going to rename a term that's been used by the entire community since 2003 lmao and it's silly to argue about either way.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Melee community is real stubborn too. Anyway this technique is mad funky, can you get the full length on the second dash no matter when you qcb during the SWD? I noticed it's very fickle

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Melee community is real stubborn too. Anyway this technique is mad funky, can you get the full length on the second dash no matter when you qcb during the SWD? I noticed it's very fickle

Yeah you can get the full length and even variable lengths depending on your control stick motion on the reverse, similar to how you can get different moonwalk distances at will.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I've done this a few times on accident but the applications of this is will be very interesting, even though it will probably just be for tech skill and not actually useful in combat, haha. It'd be amazing in doubles to do a DSWD to SWD towards one opponent but reverse the direction and slide off the stage with it to N-Air the second opponent who is recovering or something. Just some ideas on how it could possibly be used.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I assume SWD can only be done if Samus is on a surface? I've been successful at doing SWD recovering from the ledge. You can also do it running.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well I meant more if, say I do the second wave dash, can I get full length 1/3, 1/4, or 1/2 through thei initial dash?
Yes, you can.

I've done this a few times on accident but the applications of this is will be very interesting, even though it will probably just be for tech skill and not actually useful in combat, haha. It'd be amazing in doubles to do a DSWD to SWD towards one opponent but reverse the direction and slide off the stage with it to N-Air the second opponent who is recovering or something. Just some ideas on how it could possibly be used.
I think it's very applicable in combat, I've been using it while playing to pretty great success. The only reason SWD wasn't applicable is because you couldn't do it consistently and now you can.

I assume SWD can only be done if Samus is on a surface? I've been successful at doing SWD recovering from the ledge. You can also do it running.
Correct. It doesn't matter where you start the bomb you just need to be holding a direction on the right frames when you hit the ground.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Uploading the video now, I got a few friendly matches in with my brother too. So I also added some clips of that as well. One thing I have noticed, is doing Up-Smash out of SWD doesn't seem to work. May have to put in a direction input then up-smash, if its possible I haven't figured out a way yet.

Edit: Anyone wanting to see video I posted it here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/samuss-super-dash.343455/

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I did this on accident. I Super Wave-Dashed to the right, but because I didn't expect to work, I moved the analog stick left and right really quickly so Samus went left then right so fast that on the edge of the stage she froze for a small time and flew off to my death on the right boundary. It was my last stock too. Lol

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Just tested this out in frame advance and it is not possible to do a Triple SWD. I was really hoping it would be possible. =(
Atleast I know the facts now, I tried to do that myself, no frame programs or anything. It would always go to the normal crawl speed, that would be a heck of an approach

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
this is cool.

also a question along similar lines:
can you still load cancel like in melee? (from SWD off the ledge giving you extra momentum)
I haven't been able to land it, but I wasn't sure if that may have just been because the timing in P:M was slightly different or not.

(for those who don't know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdpNVPYuK4c)

I learned about this a couple nights ago, got a chance to experiment around with it last night.

Maybe I was doing something weird, but I could only get it to happen when first traveling to the right. That is, when I faced left, and swd'd left, when I crawled back, even if I did it right away, my momentum just disappeared. I thought that was weird.

That's cool to know about the extra frame in the window. I'd say I'm strongly proficient at SWDing in melee, and I incorporate it into my normal game, but I appreciate the extra frame I think and think it's pretty cool and useful so far, although the feel is a little different it seems so I'm getting used to that.

Laying a bomb on the way back... cool idea.

As for names... bomb dash is a terrible name... I've jokingly referred to the SWD as mockball before, but SWD sounds cooler. Also technically with mockball you'd have to be running slightly beforehand. For some reason I wouldn't mind calling it speed booster ("sb") either, but that's definitely not accurate... shinesparking is a whole different ballgame, that wouldn't even apply. I too thought of either Double SWD or Reverse SWD. DSWD is only one letter off from DDWD or similar-sounding terms, but to refer specifically to this action I kind of like the r prefix to distinguish between the two actions when referring to the tech later on, plus it sounds more accurate. They're both easy to type. I can get down with DSWD though.

edit: supercrawling. :upsidedown:

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Sooo why has nobody said anything about swd, im gonna call it high hop =D, and then ice fair. If its not possible then let me know cause im for sure gonna try it out

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I will use the term DSWD. :)

Anyone knows if aerial interrupt is in PM? I was learning it in Melee before my Wii broke.

sharpman5000

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-1852-6914
Oh, did I touch a nerve? Wow, I wasn't arguing, I was putting out my opinion of the name since it really doesn't really explain the actions taking place. It was simply a friendly suggestion, thats been blown way out of proportion.

You're trying to start an argument, by making assumptions about me,..when I played what I played and who I played with, you don't even know me, so I'd suggest you not act like you do. Your just talking KLit
^^

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
LOL 9k I saw that edit.

Top Bottom