• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Don’ts of Blogging

M.K

Level 55
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219729
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227718

So, because it follows the rules, these are perfectly good blogs?
Granted it's from a while back, but it still proves a point. Why don't we just call this room "User Spamfest", because only 1 in every 10 people writes something worth reading here.

EDIT: And on that note, what is the reason for the spontaneous change in mind? These were great rules that kept the User Blogs in check, and suddenly the moderators are against them? What is going on?

Cinder

Smash Master
And there goes any hope I had for this forum >.>

I agree with Meta-Kirby...this place is going to quickly dissolve into a spamfest once again...

It's only a matter of time before we get "ZOMG I'M GUNNA PLAI BARWL 4EVUR AND EVUR!!!!" again >.>

*shakes head in shame*

EDIT: *snaps fingers* GOT IT!!!

I've seen other sites impose a word limit to prevent spam blogs...hm? Hm? Am I on to something or am I onto something?

D

Deleted member

So we can pretty much just write spam blogs? So does that mean we're back to "I liek brocoly" and "Ply Barlw"? That's really terrible that my favorite section has to be like this.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
LOLZ I MAED A BGOL ABOUT BALWR LOOLOLOLOLOLOL ROFLCOPTERZ! :mad:

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Hi all,

Appreciate your concern. As the guy who put this section together in the first place I thought I'd share some insight on why we're deregulating blogs.

The User Blogs forum is only a forum in the loosest sense of the word. It's really just where blog posts get posted. If you have your own blog, there aren't really any restrictions on what kind of things you can talk about; there's nothing wrong about posting a movie review in your blog, or pontificating about Brawl or most anything else. Even if you could have conceivably posted about those things in another room, I don't think it's a big deal. After all, much of the point of a blog is to give people that space to rant/pontificate/whatever.

So I really don't think of User Blogs as a room. If I did I'd just disable the "blogs" part of it and let you all post threads in here directly. The only reason this room is visible at all is because I wanted to use the forum as a backend to store comments (which means blog posts have to become threads) and once you've gone that far people are going to be able to find the "user blogs room" anyway, so you might as well just link to it so people don't think it's anything special (like a "secret room").

We're still going to enforce the Global Rules like always. And I'm not saying you'll be able to just get away with posting "omg booser is teh bets1!!111" without at least having your thread locked--it is your blog, but no, we don't have to let people comment on that (and strictly speaking, it's against the Global Rules, and we've said we'd enforce those from Day 1). Beyond that I think we should be pretty hands off with what people can choose to write about with their own blogs, because the principle of a blog is just that: personal space for you to use, for the most part, as you see fit.

With that said, I appreciate that since all blog posts are posted in a forum, there have been some unintended side effects. I'd like to see what we can do to alleviate your concerns about wading through posts that you're not interested in--one way might be to subscribe to your favorite blogs via RSS, for example--but I also hope you can understand my motivation in letting people have as much freedom as possible in choosing what to discuss in their own blogs, since that really was one of the key principles behind their creation.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well Kirby King, if that's the way you view User Blogs, then I guess there is a solution.

We need to instate the Unofficial Law. If there aren't really rules or guidelines to break (apart from Global Rules), then we can impose the unspoken laws.

Think of it this way, there are many things irl you wouldn't do even if they aren't against the law because they're just rather improper. Now, perhaps if we could strive to instate some kind of User Blogs etiquette, that would help somewhat...

My faith in people is too great, perhaps we should just flame everyone out like a bunch of elitist jerks instead? Yeah, that sounds ideal.

D

Deleted member

I agree. If we make spamming unacceptable here, it won't happen as much.

Top Bottom