• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DOJO Lucario Update

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
wow, frankly i was very impressed with lucario's upate. up until now i basically just wrote lucario off as more or less a mewtwo clone, but he is so much deeper and so much more powerful than i ever thought before. after seeing this update i went from having little interest in this newcomer pokemon, to seriously wanting to main him, anyone else feel the same way? please discuss :bee:

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Already one of my top choices (Him or Lucas), but I'm still extremely happy about the update. Thankfully we got a fair amount of info (despite already seeing it all, it's nice to see it on Dojo).

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
i always thought it looked more like a double team
i guess every one asumed it was called counter
becuase he attacked
but you can notice from the appearence that it has the double team
illusion before even attacking.

i'll have to actally play a charater before i decide on maining one
but looking at most of lucario's movements i dont think he'll be one of my
chioces

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, I personally thought it was Me First... ah well. I was just imagining the reaction from Smash communities everywhere if this update came a couple months ago... hehe.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I personally thought it was Me First... ah well. I was just imagining the reaction from Smash communities everywhere if this update came a couple months ago... hehe.
Me first uses the exact attack that the opponent is about to use....i mean if he was facing samus he'd have to shoot a missile and if he was facing mario a fireball...lucario's counter was always the same move so it couldn't be me first.

coldkilla30

Smash Cadet
i wanna see the full extent of his Aura ability before making him one of my mains(and maybe buy the game first) :chuckle:

Sariku

Smash Master
I was a supporter of Lucario since May 21, 2007. Of course I'll attempt to main him, even if he's just awkward. Think Gimpyfish.

Gimpyku.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I never decide mains before seeing how well characters fit my playstyle, but I´ve got to admit that Lucario seems interesting... And his ability to get stronger when harmed is one to be feared in the match of two evenly good players.

Javelin

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I didn't pay much attention to him until now. I'm planning to dig around this area for videos and such to see if I want to add him to the list of characters I'm most dying to play. :)

=Samus-Aran=

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai likes saying, Aura. :lol:

Lucario looks like an awesome character. But for now I'm with Luigi. I'll see when I get Brawl...

=S-A=

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
Lucario's definitely in my Top 5 Newcomers (next to Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Pit, and Dedede) but I'm stickin' with my buddy Ness for the time being.

EB08

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
This update also confirms that Lucario will talk in the English version too, I take it?

"As a side note, there are moments in the game where Lucario appears to be speaking, but it’s not actual speech—it’s a sort of telepathy it uses."

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
just like mewtwo in melee, lucario uses telapathy to talk. i hope he actully speaks english unlike mewtwo who only said something japanese.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Well, only the Japanese Mewtwo actually talked (Mewtwo's English laughing doesn't count). So I think this confirms that Lucario won't just laugh sinisterly and grunt, but talk a bit.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Which is good, I was hoping Lucario would get an actual voice. I was quite impressed with the update today, we got some awesome shots of Lucario in action as well as some actual names for his moves (the down B one being the only one actually in question lol).

I'm going to be using Lucario quite a bit.

lucariomain

Smash Rookie
I personaly am glad we finally know what his final smash is excatly and its confirmed you can alter the direction when you start it I want to play the game even more now

Strongobado

Smash Cadet
I was totally impressed with the update today!!!

I was turned off by Lucario at first (the minute I saw something similar to shadow ball, I just thought clone) but the more I watch him fight, the more I like him! I didn't know about the amount of range for some of his attacks, and this update fixed all of that!

I like Lucario, and he definately has style. There is just one thing that bugs me - its his legs. He looks awkward with those gigantic hips. I dunno, his character design just doesn't feel very inspired.

But I'm very happy with Lucario. Good update today!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
It seems like Lucario will say "Behold the true power of Aura!" before striking with it. All of the captions for characters that talk so far have been what they say. Cases in point:

"Landmasterrrrr!"
"PK STARRRRSTOOOORM"
"Come on!" "Blue Falcon!"
"Behold" (albiet monstrous in English)

And so on. I just hope Lucario's english voice isn't bad.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Today's update definitely made me more excited about playing Lucario. I was never a huge Mewtwo fan, and we've already read enough impressions and seen enough youtube videos to know about Lucario's scaled damage dealing properties, but the Dojo update just presents it all in a much more appealling way. I wish the Dojo would (at some point) spend this sort of polish on in-depth character analysis, matchups, etc. Not that I believe this would ever happen.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I think I fell in love with this character just today. When I saw the detail his model I was wowed! I also was dismayed at his counter move, but when I realized how it worked, I was much happier. I'm still pissed off at his Final Smash, but eventually I'll play with items off, so w/e.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
This update also confirms that Lucario will talk in the English version too, I take it?

"As a side note, there are moments in the game where Lucario appears to be speaking, but it’s not actual speech—it’s a sort of telepathy it uses."

Well that right there tells you it won't talk. It uses telepathy. :laugh:

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
It seems like Lucario will say "Behold the true power of Aura!" before striking with it. All of the captions for characters that talk so far have been what they say. Cases in point:

"Landmasterrrrr!"
"PK STARRRRSTOOOORM"

I went through a couple of others (Sonic's "Now I'll show you!" in particular) it seems that this is a valid theory!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion

"Landmasterrrrr!"
"PK STARRRRSTOOOORM"

Wait, they actually scream "Landmasterrr!"? That's hilarious! :laugh:

When I saw that Lucario's down-special was named "double team", the first thing that came to mind was "OMG Lucario banned from Brawl tournaments!" Though it seems Sakurai can better balance pokemon attacks than the actual pokemon games themselves.:rolleyes:

I have but one small criticism of Lucario's moveset: His final smash isn't an actual move from the games. Other than that, this update made my respect for Lucario increase by a lot.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Lucario's Dojo picture really kicks ***. Someone better create a strategy guide on how to use Lucario (oh wait there is already one). well, can anyone give the matchups for Lucario.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Notice that Lucario was featured on the same day Ash is going to battle Maylene in the animé.

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
Lucario looks cool and all but why did they have to cut Mewtwo T^T. He wasn't my main but he was my second best. Lucario has ruined my life... Ok enough being annoyed; Lucario is possibly worse than mewtwo just for the fact of his jumps and throws. my fighting still is primarily dodge and throw and mewtwo did a fine job of that. This being said, I hope Lucario isn't a clone but has similar potential. The only thing I really really hate about him is the Aura ability. I'm sure that I'm going to get a lot of crap for this but I absolutely hate the idea of it. What was Nintendo thinking when they did this (along with the stamina idea for the pokemon trainer). I don't want to have to rack up 150% damage in order to hit hard. final complaint: How many characters need some sort of counter move? Mewtwo had a conter move but it was usable as an attack to get in another attack such as his basic charge attack. counters such as Lucario's are an attack and only that leaving very little room for creativity. The only thing I like about him is the fact that they got rid of mewtwo's down B atack though I'm going to miss it because it was useful at times. Regardless of my many complaints I'm sure i'll try Lucario out just because I attempt to get descent as every character in the game just like I tried with melee (of course I failed with a few characters). who knows i could be wrong and he might end up being really good.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I saw the Lucario update on the Dojo this morning.

It looks so **** adorable! :D

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I was totally impressed with the update today!!!

I was turned off by Lucario at first (the minute I saw something similar to shadow ball, I just thought clone) but the more I watch him fight, the more I like him! I didn't know about the amount of range for some of his attacks, and this update fixed all of that!

I like Lucario, and he definately has style. There is just one thing that bugs me - its his legs. He looks awkward with those gigantic hips. I dunno, his character design just doesn't feel very inspired.

But I'm very happy with Lucario. Good update today!
Lucario's hips were always big. He had big hips in Diamond/Pearl and in the movie. I'm so used to it that if they weren't big, he wouldn't look right. I just get the image that he's wearing baggy shorts.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I just get the image that he's wearing baggy shorts.
That's what a lot of people seem to picture. Which, I must admit, I don't understand. To me, it's always looked like he just has a massive pair of thunder thighs.

With Brawl, it seems like this will be more obvious since Sakurai was kind enough to texture the blue fur on his thighs the same way as his arms and face. I think it'll be harder for other people to think of them as shorts from now on.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
This is amazing. Look at the reach they gave his close-up attacks!

I finally got his render as well. Off to sig-making. =)

Lucario looks cool and all but why did they have to cut Mewtwo T^T. He wasn't my main but he was my second best. Lucario has ruined my life... Ok enough being annoyed; Lucario is possibly worse than mewtwo just for the fact of his jumps and throws. my fighting still is primarily dodge and throw and mewtwo did a fine job of that. This being said, I hope Lucario isn't a clone but has similar potential. The only thing I really really hate about him is the Aura ability. I'm sure that I'm going to get a lot of crap for this but I absolutely hate the idea of it. What was Nintendo thinking when they did this (along with the stamina idea for the pokemon trainer). I don't want to have to rack up 150% damage in order to hit hard. final complaint: How many characters need some sort of counter move? Mewtwo had a conter move but it was usable as an attack to get in another attack such as his basic charge attack. counters such as Lucario's are an attack and only that leaving very little room for creativity. The only thing I like about him is the fact that they got rid of mewtwo's down B atack though I'm going to miss it because it was useful at times. Regardless of my many complaints I'm sure i'll try Lucario out just because I attempt to get descent as every character in the game just like I tried with melee (of course I failed with a few characters). who knows i could be wrong and he might end up being really good.

I for one am glad they booted Mewtwo. I couldn't be happier with this decision.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
That's what a lot of people seem to picture. Which, I must admit, I don't understand. To me, it's always looked like he just has a massive pair of thunder thighs.

With Brawl, it seems like this will be more obvious since Sakurai was kind enough to texture the blue fur on his thighs the same way as his arms and face. I think it'll be harder for other people to think of them as shorts from now on.
Whether or not they look like shorts or huge thighs, they look normal to me. I wouldn't want Lucario any other way. ^^

I for one am glad they booted Mewtwo. I couldn't be happier with this decision.
You and me both.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
happy mewtwo is gone, oook........?

hopefully, dojo updates aren't too misleading
and lucario is not as great as desired.

lucario does seem to have good range
but it'll never top actual gameplay experience

Top Bottom