• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
Hey guys my 3DS main has changed (it always is, is this a problem??) It starts with Oli and ends with Mar! Sorry for copying you muppet, i was just amazed cause i've never seen someone say the spectacular space man! But of course I still play Duck hunt on Wii!

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey guys my 3DS main has changed (it always is, is this a problem??) It starts with Oli and ends with Mar! Sorry for copying you muppet, i was just amazed cause i've never seen someone say the spectacular space man! But of course I still play Duck hunt on Wii!
Duck Hunt wasn't in Brawl.
:4duckhunt:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Unchanged..
Ahh, such a shame... still doesn't prevent me from maining DHD. After all, I made a vow I would main Duck Hunt Dog after he finally got in Smash... and I have been supporting for him to get in Smash for 12 years so... it also helps that I love the animations of both the dog and the duck. :awesome:

I'm still learning how to improve my DHD game. I had to unlearn some forces of habit like using smashes and spikes all the time like I do with other characters... and start using tilts (useful for sending cans flying without shooting) and throws (leading to aerials)... I'm always experimenting with the smashes and the projectiles. It's really fun for me. :)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Ahh, such a shame... still doesn't prevent me from maining DHD. After all, I made a vow I would main Duck Hunt Dog after he finally got in Smash... and I have been supporting for him to get in Smash for 12 years so... it also helps that I love the animations of both the dog and the duck. :awesome:
I love the animations of the dog and duck! They're just adorable!

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
yoyoyo if anyone wants to play, tag me here as I'm free all weekend now that I'm home from college.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Tink change.JPG

Hahahaha, good joke Sakurai! Our turn next!

...Sakurai?

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
Cant get enough of that cross dog gif wispbae! Sorry guys, cant play this weekend cuz not at my house with wii u :(. Speaking of Pikmin, I've had that game for a while now and really need to play it. I have just been playing ssb4 and Earthbound ;) This is kinda an ironic question, but i have been thinking what cool smash characters could be in the game? I am not saying that there WILL be an ssb5 but there is a character that could aways be fun to be in smash! Just say because I love hearing new ideas! MY ideas are all veterans but we have snake back. New characters I would have would be inkling, bombman, and dixie kong!

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Hello everyone! So I started experimenting with Duck Hunt a few weeks ago and I'm really loving how he plays. I only just now got the courage to come out and say it though. A lot of people might get offended by the idea of a Cloud/Shulk player also maining a projectile character, lol.

Last edited:

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
No Its cool cuz you can main whoever you want :). But good luck with Duck Hunt!
Hello everyone! So I started experimenting with Duck Hunt a few weeks ago and I'm really loving how he plays. I only just now got the courage to come out and say it though. A lot of people might get offended by the idea of a Cloud/Shulk player also maining a projectile character, lol.

Furret24

Smash Master
Why would we?
:gawmelee:

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Yeah I play a ton of different characters. I was just worried that people over at the other forums might get mad. Looking back on it I guess I got a little too anxious over nothing at all. It's not like this place is For Glory or anything so sucky (most of the time).

But anyways, Duck Hunt is definitely one of the more fun characters imo. I've also noticed that he's pretty good against Corrin—who I absolutely hate to fight with other characters. We're lucky that Duck Hunt can out-zone him. :4duckhunt:

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
This week, I'm going to put a lot of practice into mastering the momentum of B-reversing gunmen.

For those who don't know, when you B Reverse a gunman, you can use the momentum of your dash to either send the dog to the left or to the right. I want to perfect this so I can make doggy's movement options more unpredictable.

Say you're running to the right side of the stage and you jump and B Reverse a gunman. You then have two options: You can send your momentum to the left when you B-Reverse and have the dog lunge in that direction during the animation OR, if you send your momentum to the right, the dog will still face the left, per usual, but the dog will continue going towards the right, as opposed to going to the left in the previous scenario.

Use this to mix up your movement. The first example can be used to stay on the offensive (run away from the opponent, B-Reverse, send yourself in their direction, and go into close combat with the gunmen by your side), while the second example can be used to go on the defensive (put up a gunmen and retreat away from the opponent).

Here's a video demonstration. Note how the momentum of the first B-Reverse is different to the second.

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
This week, I'm going to put a lot of practice into mastering the momentum of B-reversing gunmen.

For those who don't know, when you B Reverse a gunman, you can use the momentum of your dash to either send the dog to the left or to the right. I want to perfect this so I can make doggy's movement options more unpredictable.

Say you're running to the right side of the stage and you jump and B Reverse a gunman. You then have two options: You can send your momentum to the left when you B-Reverse and have the dog lunge in that direction during the animation OR, if you send your momentum to the right, the dog will still face the left, per usual, but the dog will continue going towards the right, as opposed to going to the left in the previous scenario.

Use this to mix up your movement. The first example can be used to stay on the offensive (run away from the opponent, B-Reverse, send yourself in their direction, and go into close combat with the gunmen by your side), while the second example can be used to go on the defensive (put up a gunmen and retreat away from the opponent).

Here's a video demonstration. Note how the momentum of the first B-Reverse is different to the second.

Kewl, I need to still practice my Duck Hunt "hacks". I also need to practice landing Jigglypuff's rest and roll since those are my fav Jigglypuff attacks. The slap is pretty useful for going into combos, but if anyone has any tips for the Jiggs, please say!! :4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Kewl, I need to still practice my Duck Hunt "hacks". I also need to practice landing Jigglypuff's rest and roll since those are my fav Jigglypuff attacks. The slap is pretty useful for going into combos, but if anyone has any tips for the Jiggs, please say!! :4jigglypuff:
If you haven't already, I would suggest asking around the Jigglypuff boards (not sure how active they are) for tips. They should be able to help you out.

Seeing as one of my flatmates plays Jigglypuff, I would say from playing him that Jigglypuff's rollout is not a good move, as people can just shield it quickly and guess where you'll end up. Rest is a good move to practice tho. Just see what moves you can do that will lead into a rest.

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
I know using rollout isnt a good ATTACKING move, but I use it in a whole different way than I use to. If you quickly just tap B to use rollout when you are recovering, you will slowly start rolling and it can be used as mix ups since you have a little more air control.
If you haven't already, I would suggest asking around the Jigglypuff boards (not sure how active they are) for tips. They should be able to help you out.

Seeing as one of my flatmates plays Jigglypuff, I would say from playing him that Jigglypuff's rollout is not a good move, as people can just shield it quickly and guess where you'll end up. Rest is a good move to practice tho. Just see what moves you can do that will lead into a rest.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I know using rollout isnt a good ATTACKING move, but I use it in a whole different way than I use to. If you quickly just tap B to use rollout when you are recovering, you will slowly start rolling and it can be used as mix ups since you have a little more air control.
I personally still wouldn't call it a good move as it takes longer to get out of using it when recovering anyway, but it IS a mixup. So if you're finding a use for it, then cool!

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Wow, okay so Duck Hunt really does well against Bayo. It's very easy to get Bayo players practically walking into traps. The doggy scores again. :shades:

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
I don't think so at all. Bayo's main tool in neutral, her side-B, goes right under our side-B, and the worst part is that the stage position in which our side-B is most effective is where her side-B is most effective. I've been struggling against my brother's pocket Bayo and I can only see that getting worse with someone who actually mains the character.

In which ways do you think DH excels against Bayo? Maybe I'm positioning myself wrong.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Her Heel Slide is horrible in neutral, she wants to get a good read/position to throw either that or Dtilt.
Camp her hard, set up cans and Gunmen and stay around them, create frametraps with those and Clay Pigeon(DH excels at that). She might want deal with those is with Bullet Arts, but those are laggy. Neither character will be able to kill reliably.
All and all, be patient and creative, force her to act, don't approach if you don't have to, and always be aware that she has Witch Time.
:196:

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
Been playing a lot of smash lately and I feel like I should post more now in the Duck Hunt Boards. I really want to make a very long Advanced guide for Duck Hunt as I think I'm playing the character far beyond where the current meta is for him. Going to be kind of hard without a Wii U though. Anyway I finally found some tournaments to go to now so I am going to try get some placements for Duck Hunt proving that he is a good character.

Also since I never posted footage of my Duck Hunt playstyle, here is a highlight from some 3DS practice,

http://youtu.be/-BUTUFpd4YI

A zero-to-death I got on a fox cpu that starts with a 64% combo, I really think the Duck Hunt meta in the future will be aggresive combo heavy style like this

EDIT: It isn't really a zero to death, i meant to say more like a perfect stock w/o taking a single hit of damage, still a good combo though

Last edited:
Top Bottom