• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Off the top of my head, there might be three uses for Bidou with DHD: UTilt positioning, FTilt spacing, and Neutral B/Can placement into Perfect Pivot DTilt to launch the can right after it hits the floor, but that can already be done by FTilt Pivot Sliding (the extra length of DTilt's launch could be neat though).

Again, this is just me saying what comes to mind without any testing. There could be a few other more tricks that are worth a shot exploring.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Thought you guys may enjoy this: https://twitter.com/WispBae/status/719373416839692288

Custom Duck Hunt amiibo with the Trick Shot can. Good memories...

Tbh I may just go back to Duck Hunt, I've learned a lot about how to play and he's still the character I've dedicated the most time to. Maybe after CEO.

It was pretty silly of me to stop playing the character I love because of a few bad apples in the form of other Duck Hunt mains. TheWorstMuppet TheWorstMuppet Croi Croi Perris6 Perris6 @Splooshi Splashy all make it worth it <3

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Thought you guys may enjoy this: https://twitter.com/WispBae/status/719373416839692288

Tbh I may just go back to Duck Hunt, I've learned a lot about how to play and he's still the character I've dedicated the most time to. Maybe after CEO.

It was pretty silly of me to stop playing the character I love because of a few bad apples in the form of other Duck Hunt mains. TheWorstMuppet TheWorstMuppet Croi Croi Perris6 Perris6 @Splooshi Splashy all make it worth it <3
WISPBAE!!!!! Hope you enjoyed your bday!

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Playing FANG in Street Fighter V reminds me of playing Duck Hunt in so many ways. Frame traps, setups, quirky and funny animations. If any of you are interested in that game, I think you would enjoy him. Unfortunately they could both do with some buffs, but I guess that's just par for the course.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239

Heeey WispBae, it's good to see you again! Hope you're doing ok~!

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
You dropped Duck Hunt? When did this happen?
When I got kicked out of the Discord server for being "too sexual".

Nobody knows how much time I've spent on the forums here, managing the threads for Duck Hunt. I mention it now and then for the MU thread, but I work vicariously through Spirst, checking threads and locking threads if need be. Even though I wasn't accepted as mod for the forums, I tried my best to keep them clean here, getting the correct stickies up there, locking old troll threads from CrashBFan, contacting admins to remove his scary avatar that was plastered all over Duck Hunt's boards.

For those of you that don't know, Discord has a feature that allows you to overlay what game you are playing next to your name. I had set it so my name said "WispBae: is playing with her vibrator". Anyone that knows me knows I am a joker. SaltyBlue, or whatever his name is now, didn't like that, saying it was "too sexual for smash" and the other smash character discords had rules against this (even though in the Corrin server, there is literally someone there that has his overlay as "**** my ass and this game."

Blue threatened to demote me if I didn't change it to something else, and I felt that was not fair as I wasn't hurting anyone, and the joke was pretty tame. He demoted me and then kicked me from the server on top of that.

Here are some messages from the time:
upload_2016-4-11_23-15-0.png

upload_2016-4-11_23-17-18.png

upload_2016-4-11_23-18-30.png

My line of thinking was "I can handle getting **** from everyone saying Doggy is low tier, and I can handle him having weaknesses. But getting **** over nothing because I play Duck Hunt? When we barely have any players as it is? Nah."

But yeah, that's when I stopped playing Duck Hunt and stopped managing the MU thread. Maybe after CEO I might pick him back up, go back to handling the thread, unless Perris finishes his MU guide first.

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
I had a dream that they buffed Duck Hunt. They didn't fix his smash attacks, but they buffed uair to kill much earlier; they buffed the can to kill much earlier; and they halved nair's landing lag.

It was a good dream. I wouldn't mind dreaming it again.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I had a dream that they buffed Duck Hunt. They didn't fix his smash attacks, but they buffed uair to kill much earlier; they buffed the can to kill much earlier; and they halved nair's landing lag.

It was a good dream. I wouldn't mind dreaming it again.
I would go back to sleep if I had that dream lol

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I've been modding Smash 4 recently. Even more recently, I gave Duck Hunt a bunch of buffs.

In paticular, all aerials autocancel in a shorthop now, all smashes work properly, up smash kills at 100%, Nair has a proper clean hitbox that does more damage and lasts longer, fair and bair no longer have sourspots, dair is faster and stronger, back and up throw kill now, and all of his tilts are stronger (ftilt kills now).

I have a few more changes planned as well (lowering landing and improving specials).

Figuring out how to mod Smash 4 was hard, but I think it was worth it. :)

I hope this didn't come off as bragging. :/
:162:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I've been modding Smash 4 recently. Even more recently, I gave Duck Hunt a bunch of buffs.

In paticular, all aerials autocancel in a shorthop now, all smashes work properly, up smash kills at 100%, Nair has a proper clean hitbox that does more damage and lasts longer, fair and bair no longer have sourspots, dair is faster and stronger, back and up throw kill now, and all of his tilts are stronger (ftilt kills now).

I have a few more changes planned as well (lowering landing and improving specials).

A bit overkill with the buffs but nice! How did you fix his smashes though?

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239

Up Smash kills at 100%?!

Ftilt kills at all?!

You're messin' in gods domain now, son!

Furret24

Smash Master
A bit overkill with the buffs but nice! How did you fix his smashes though?
I know it's overkill. That's the fun part. :)

For his smashes, it was actually pretty simple.

The connecting hits for all of his smashes now have set knockback, as opposed to weight based knockback and knockback growth, making it deal the same knockback at any percent to a character.

I also heavily increased the hitbox sizes for all of the hits. For example, down smash's final hit now has noticeable disjoint from the reticle, while it used to barley exist (if you want a comparison, it has a bit less range than G&W's jab).

Forward smash required a lot more effort than up or down did. There was quite a lot of trial and error to get it working properly. I had to go back to AnimCD multiple times to find the perfect combination of hitboxes, angles, and knockback for all of the hits of the move.
Up Smash kills at 100%?!

Ftilt kills at all?!

You're messin' in gods domain now, son!
You'd be surprised how much a damage increase by 2% can do (both ftilt and usmash's final hit do 2% more now). I'm going to be increasing up smash’s startup a little (12 -> 15 or so) to balance it's new power out. I'm not trying to make him OP here.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

You gave a ton of buffs....to DUCK HUNT....?

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
No it's just supposed to be a more balanced Smash 4 with some changed content, as far as I'm aware. It's not trying to be Melee. If anything, it's like Balanced Brawl.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Furret24 Furret24 this game you're modding, is it the Project M of SSB4?
I'm modding Smash 4, so it can't be the Project M of Smash 4 when it is Smash 4 itself.

Being serious, no. This mod just intends to make the game more balanced (mostly by buffs) and add extra content, such as different and/or new stage music, custom stages and alt costumes. It's not going to make the game play more like Melee like Project M did to Brawl. I don't really like Melee all that much too be honest.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Ayy, I did it. Maybe. Idk.

Now I can manage this forum a bit more. Lemme know how we should clean this subforum up, if anything, and I'll be looking to get the MU thread back in action perhaps, maybe with some additional help.

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
Brood just beat Abadango to get top 8 at a Japanese major just now, lost right after to a Mega Man though, RIP. All of his games, (except a random one against a Zelda were offstream), however Japan saves replays so hopefully will be able to analyze thoses soon.

Also WispBae WispBae I'm working on a mega thread for the Meta-Game and AT discussions, its going to mainly be a guide for every Duck Hunt Main to learn a lot about the character instead of having to scavage old posts. Its purpose is to serve as the Duck Hunt Bible that every Duck Hunt should read to familiarize themself in a year's worth of knowledge all in one organized place. Would need help editing though.

Dawangthang

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dawangthang
Perris6 Perris6 No sense in discontinuing it. I'd just say redo the sections you learn new information for. And it looks like my Dogument is going to have some competition lol. WispBae WispBae I wouldn't mind helping out with the MU thread. We're doing JMU on the discord every now and then so I can let you know which character we happen to be doing it with.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Also WispBae WispBae I'm working on a mega thread for the Meta-Game and AT discussions, its going to mainly be a guide for every Duck Hunt Main to learn a lot about the character instead of having to scavage old posts. Its purpose is to serve as the Duck Hunt Bible that every Duck Hunt should read to familiarize themself in a year's worth of knowledge all in one organized place. Would need help editing though.
Depending on what you make, we may be able to switch around some of the current stickied threads, just lemme know if you ever get around to it, sounds very handy.

I can always postpone my guide on the MUs we haven't discussed on the forums.
It does sort of overlap with the MU thread, but I think it will be a great resource once it's finished. We can use the MU thread we already have to talk about MU's, and based on what we get, you can add that to your guide if you like. I wouldn't mind adding it to the first page of the the MU thread if people are looking for fast info.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Lemme know if you'd like any art for the threads, now that I'm finishing up Uni, I should have some free time on my handz

Synnett

Alligator Lord
o/

Ever since Sm4sh came out I wanted to play Duck Hunt. I've been playing casually for a while, but now I started going to small weeklies with my friend. I absolutely hate Bowser in this game, it's unplayable to me (sadly, favorite Nintendo character :( ), so I main Duck Hunt and my Zelda isn't bad too. And a deep-pocket Charizard.

I just recently started playing because the game was a defensive mess before, shield was too op - but now it looks fine. While I still don't like the style, I guess I'm going to invest a bit in it. Maybe I'll learn to love this game.

I'm still a Melee player tho, I'm not leaving my Boozer :083:

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
Thinking about buffing Duck Hunt, I was wondering if maybe we could make an exploit video showcasing all the inconsistencies that Duck Hunt has. It would be similar to the Samus exploit video some guy posted a while back on the reddit which got a lot of attention, and behold 8 months later Samus gets some major buffs.

The video would showcase DH's jank smash attacks, (you could literally just get a Luigi to dash at DH's fsmash and watch it whiff half the time as evidence). Showcase characters falling out of Up-smash, showcase down smash at the ledge sending characters with inconsistent direction, (sometimes they go left, sometimes they go right, sometimes they get stagespiked.)

The video would showcase how much end lag all of Duck Hunts specials have. Watch as fast characters punish Duck Hunt throwing out can by dashing up and sheilding, watch characters sheild Clay pigeon on reaction at medium range and still punish Duck Hunt with smash attacks, watch characters throw out smash attacks and kill duck hunt because the gunmen extended the hitbox and Duck Hunt didnt have enough time to sheild.

Also would showcase how weak fair and dair are. Showcase fair sweetspoting an opoonent at 0% and watch as Duck Hunt gets punished even wehnhe successfully hits the move becuase of the low knock back + endlag. You could also show sweetspot fair not killing opponents at the ledge until 200%+. As for dair, you could show Duck Hunt spiking Villager at 100% hanging on the ledge and have Villager recover all the way back becuase DH dair is one of the weakest spikes in the game.

Lastly would be some animation/hitbox issues. With the offenders being F-smash, D-Smash and clay pigeon. For F-Smash you could show Captain Falcon dash grabbing DH through the first reticle of DH's F-smash as the animation plays before the hitbox appears. Also for F-Smash you could show the absenty of a hitbox on the front of his body during his F-Smash, which is why he can get dash grabbed this way in the first place. The big thing though would be showing how Duck Hunt charging his F-smash doesnt actually expand the hitboxes, it just shifts them. It would look really bad when fully charged F-Smash whiffs on the entire cast 100% of the time at point blank range. For D-Smash you would show the absenty of a hitbox on Duck Hunt's body during the move, and watch in a similar fashion to F-smash as it whiffs at point blank range.

For Clay pigeon the hitbox issue is that it is another move that doesnt have a hitbox on Duck Hunt making it another move that whiffs at point blank range, I can recall many times watching my opponent run through my attack. The other issue is that the Clay pigeon can be destroyed even before the animation starts. With good timing, you could show the gunmen destroying the clay pigeon (where the audio cue of the break sound will happen) before the clay pigeon animation and hitbox even starts, (to which you get a really stupid looking dog flinging his head and doing nothing, leaving him open for a hard punish).

It wouldnt be hard to get a collection of clips for these, and maybe either DunnoBro DunnoBro or WispBae WispBae could post it on the reddit to get some exposure? Possibly for the off chance that this will lead to Duck Hunt buffs? IDK, this is just hopeful thinking, and even if Duck Hunt never gets fixed, the video would still be a good resource for new Duck Hunt players showing them what janky things to look out for when playing Duck Hunt.

Furret24

Smash Master
Thinking about buffing Duck Hunt, I was wondering if maybe we could make an exploit video showcasing all the inconsistencies that Duck Hunt has. It would be similar to the Samus exploit video some guy posted a while back on the reddit which got a lot of attention, and behold 8 months later Samus gets some major buffs.

The video would showcase DH's jank smash attacks, (you could literally just get a Luigi to dash at DH's fsmash and watch it whiff half the time as evidence). Showcase characters falling out of Up-smash, showcase down smash at the ledge sending characters with inconsistent direction, (sometimes they go left, sometimes they go right, sometimes they get stagespiked.)

The video would showcase how much end lag all of Duck Hunts specials have. Watch as fast characters punish Duck Hunt throwing out can by dashing up and sheilding, watch characters sheild Clay pigeon on reaction at medium range and still punish Duck Hunt with smash attacks, watch characters throw out smash attacks and kill duck hunt because the gunmen extended the hitbox and Duck Hunt didnt have enough time to sheild.

Also would showcase how weak fair and dair are. Showcase fair sweetspoting an opoonent at 0% and watch as Duck Hunt gets punished even wehnhe successfully hits the move becuase of the low knock back + endlag. You could also show sweetspot fair not killing opponents at the ledge until 200%+. As for dair, you could show Duck Hunt spiking Villager at 100% hanging on the ledge and have Villager recover all the way back becuase DH dair is one of the weakest spikes in the game.

Lastly would be some animation/hitbox issues. With the offenders being F-smash, D-Smash and clay pigeon. For F-Smash you could show Captain Falcon dash grabbing DH through the first reticle of DH's F-smash as the animation plays before the hitbox appears. Also for F-Smash you could show the absenty of a hitbox on the front of his body during his F-Smash, which is why he can get dash grabbed this way in the first place. The big thing though would be showing how Duck Hunt charging his F-smash doesnt actually expand the hitboxes, it just shifts them. It would look really bad when fully charged F-Smash whiffs on the entire cast 100% of the time at point blank range. For D-Smash you would show the absenty of a hitbox on Duck Hunt's body during the move, and watch in a similar fashion to F-smash as it whiffs at point blank range.

For Clay pigeon the hitbox issue is that it is another move that doesnt have a hitbox on Duck Hunt making it another move that whiffs at point blank range, I can recall many times watching my opponent run through my attack. The other issue is that the Clay pigeon can be destroyed even before the animation starts. With good timing, you could show the gunmen destroying the clay pigeon (where the audio cue of the break sound will happen) before the clay pigeon animation and hitbox even starts, (to which you get a really stupid looking dog flinging his head and doing nothing, leaving him open for a hard punish).

It wouldnt be hard to get a collection of clips for these, and maybe either DunnoBro DunnoBro or WispBae WispBae could post it on the reddit to get some exposure? Possibly for the off chance that this will lead to Duck Hunt buffs? IDK, this is just hopeful thinking, and even if Duck Hunt never gets fixed, the video would still be a good resource for new Duck Hunt players showing them what janky things to look out for when playing Duck Hunt.
I doubt it would do anything. Even ignoring the fact that patches are most likely over, Japan still seems to think Duck Hunt is good, so he won't get buffs because of this either way. Plus it's not like people are crying for Duck Hunt buffs like they did for Samus buffs. ;P

I just don't see the point.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Duck hunt's biggest issue is his recovery. Villager, pacman, etc have very similar issues to duck hunt but wayyy better recoveries so they can mess up and have their deadzones and inconsistincies come up without it always killing them.

That's all he really needs changed imo

Edit: Also, a little thing but something that really helps land is fast fall airdodging into specials.

They are all initiated from frame 1, so they can cancel your landing lag before any aerial. I always did this from regular air dodges but never thought to do it out of fast fall ones.

In general gunmen and frisbee are your main mix-ups. Frisbee beats grabs and dashes, gunmen beats shield (Just be sure to hold yours asap)

Trick shot is your panic button, best used against upsmashes to save you and maybe kill them with counter striking. (More knockback if they're charging a smash, like to punish an airdodge)

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Hi folks. Took an extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely long break from smash (like, a year I think?) But I'm trying to bring it back. Was dealing with some mass depression but I'm feeling better.

Upside! I'm playing DHD again.

Downside! I finally found a secondary in Cloud, but it feels like I'm forced to use him more often than DHD :urg:

Top Bottom