• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Pyro-is-Magic very nice! I haven't really put much thought or effort into playing offensively with Duck Hunt, but since that worked so well I'll try to incorporate it in and see what it does. Looks promising.

I don't think so at all. Bayo's main tool in neutral, her side-B, goes right under our side-B, and the worst part is that the stage position in which our side-B is most effective is where her side-B is most effective. I've been struggling against my brother's pocket Bayo and I can only see that getting worse with someone who actually mains the character.

In which ways do you think DH excels against Bayo? Maybe I'm positioning myself wrong.
What ぱみゅう said, basically. Gunmen, cans, the Clay Pigeon—just camp her out. She relies on approach, and building a wall in front of her makes her completely useless because of that.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Utilizing DH's offensive play is a must imo. It vastly improved my game play and now I'm much more geared towards frame trapping and bait & punish, as opposed to camping (which, in turn, improves my camp game, as it makes it much more effective when I bring it out as, because it's so rare within a set, my opponent won't have much time to adapt prior to it).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Not against Bayonetta who can make the worst out of your single-hit aerials.
You'd need to be super-extra-special-careful with them
:196:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Oh, no no. I was speaking in general. As in, utilizing Duck Hunt's offensive capabilities is a must to have optimal DH play, in general. My bad.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Just came back from a pretty stacked New England tournament with Marss and Pugwest in it. Got 17th in a 25 man doubles, but I'm fine with that, as my teammate was my friend who only does For Glory and I taught him basic double tips the night before. Can see myself placing higher with a a solid teammate as I was consistantly in a stock tank lead and I did some damage on 2v1s.

Can't recall my 128 man singles placing, as the site isn't loading the bracket results for me, but I beat round 1 winners against a Corrin 2-0, lost 2-0 with my boy KitKat the Villager, but it was a super close match both times and it got quite the buzz from the people watching. The war of attrition was intense and, unfortunately, I wasn't able to clear out the stocks as fast as he could when we both were at high percents, both times.

Got send to losers bracket and lost 1-1 to a Bayonetta. Did some labbing the night before and I know my ftilt and dtilt can trade with her side-B if I time it right, but I wasn't confident in doing so just yet since my tournament life was on the line. Hate the neutral on that match up and as patient as I was to take his stocks, the very few times I did commit to a kill aerial, he read and got the Witch Time and closed me out.

I congratulated Marss on his performance in KTAR and I found out later that, had I won against KitKat, I would've been up against Marss. I'm curious to see how that would've gone. Probably wasn't going to win that, but if I caused enough damage to impress a national level ZSS player and the audience on stream, that would've been a boon for our Duck Hunt scene

Super fun monthlies and it was extremely stacked. Wish I stayed to see the finals, but my ride arrived earlier than planned.

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
I just won the largest regional in history in my area, using Bayonetta in pools and Duck Hunt in bracket. You can see the vods here and they'll be uploaded to Youtube sometime within the week here.

I'm so happy. Duck Hunt is bottom 10, you guys.

Furret24

Smash Master
I just won the largest regional in history in my area, using Bayonetta in pools and Duck Hunt in bracket. You can see the vods here and they'll be uploaded to Youtube sometime within the week here.

I watched the last ten or so matches.

I don't think I've ever gotten so hyped watching Smash in my life. Your Duck Hunt was beautiful. That uair at the end was especially great.
:162:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954

Good stuff amigo. =]

Blumiere

Professional Can Pilot

That comeback was incredible! These matches are an additional talking point for the viability of the character, honestly. You did us dogs a service. :)

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Seeing ESAM and MVD swear up and down on Twitter that doggo is trash makes me want to play the character and prove them wrong. But I probably won't. I DO think that Duck Hunt is better than most people think, but I don't think I'm a strong enough player to succeed with them. Also, shoutouts to Croi for regularly supplying me with hope for the character. Excellent play, sir.

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
I never bother listening to those people. Anyone who tries to label characters good or bad has no idea of what they're talking about. ESAM and MVD would do best to just take a glance at some of the doggy's high-level play. Maybe then they'd realize every character has potential.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I never bother listening to those people. Anyone who tries to label characters good or bad has no idea of what they're talking about. ESAM and MVD would do best to just take a glance at some of the doggy's high-level play. Maybe then they'd realize every character has potential.
Eeeerm, MVD is one of the high-level DHD players...

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
He's also been known to underrate his own characters. He thinks Diddy isn't a top 10 character.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Even ignoring how he no longer plays DHD, his play was far from optimized. Being a notable player doesn't mean you're good.
No but he does know the character, so it's not like it was just some random dissing Duck Hunt.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
While MVD does know the character, I do believe his play with the dog is outdated. Much like how I thought DH wasn't as good back then, since the techs that were known at the time were quite literally camp and dtilt a can.

I believe that the pros aren't aware of DH's evolved meta and their analysis of them are from their experiences in the past, both because no one uses them in a national scale anymore (lack of experience) and no important patch buffs give them no reason to restudy the character and find out the newer techs.

If a Duck Hunt did damage in a US national with the tools that we know now, I'm sure MVD would change his view on the dog. With the outdated knowledge he knows, it's understandable to think what he does.

Top DH play back then is a dog with a good sense of camping, but the character is far more than that now. I view DH as a frame trapper that relies heavily on momentum and proper spacing.

A good example is in my scene: I did fairly basic tech stuff with the dog like sourspot dash attack can manipulation and foxtrotting with the can and a bunch of players, even commentators, proceeded to say I was the best Duck Hunt they've seen in a while because they've never seen a Duck Hunt do that, despite it being common knowledge with the mains here in the forums. It's all about lack of knowledge.

Last edited:

StealthyPanda397

Smash Rookie
NNID
VertigoAbacus
Hey guys I was wondering how one "Duck Hunts". I am a Diddy Kong main but i find all of DHD's moves fun and his playstyle enjoyable. If anyone could tell the basics of DHD as well as combos, kill setups, and general tricks it will be much appreciated.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Bread and butter low percent combo is fthrow > dash attack. Down throw followups exist as well but I don't recall them offhand. The can if set up can follow up after throws (or moves, if you're crafty enough.)
You can combo like, any move if the opponent gets hit by a gunman shot and you're ready. Gunmen are great conditioning tools. If your opponent shields the shot, you can grab them. If they jump over the shot, set up a landing trap, anti-air, or go after them.
Duck Hunt is all about using his tools to control space, condition and punish your opponent, keeping them at bay and picking your battles carefully. Combos are mostly opportunistic, coming from and into the can, and getting baits or frame traps with clever move use.
Likewise, kills have to come through reads, or they just happen. Doggo's biggest flaws are his recovery and ability to close stocks. This makes him a challenge to succeed with, as you really don't get any easy matches. Even characters that he clearly has a strong advantage over in the neutral will take your stock much easier than vice versa, meaning your composure will constantly be tested. He's not for everyone. But, he can be pretty fun, so give him a shot if you're interested. A better Duck Hunt player can likely answer your questions better, but this is my impression of the character.

StealthyPanda397

Smash Rookie
NNID
VertigoAbacus
Bread and butter low percent combo is fthrow > dash attack. Down throw followups exist as well but I don't recall them offhand. The can if set up can follow up after throws (or moves, if you're crafty enough.)
You can combo like, any move if the opponent gets hit by a gunman shot and you're ready. Gunmen are great conditioning tools. If your opponent shields the shot, you can grab them. If they jump over the shot, set up a landing trap, anti-air, or go after them.
Duck Hunt is all about using his tools to control space, condition and punish your opponent, keeping them at bay and picking your battles carefully. Combos are mostly opportunistic, coming from and into the can, and getting baits or frame traps with clever move use.
Likewise, kills have to come through reads, or they just happen. Doggo's biggest flaws are his recovery and ability to close stocks. This makes him a challenge to succeed with, as you really don't get any easy matches. Even characters that he clearly has a strong advantage over in the neutral will take your stock much easier than vice versa, meaning your composure will constantly be tested. He's not for everyone. But, he can be pretty fun, so give him a shot if you're interested. A better Duck Hunt player can likely answer your questions better, but this is my impression of the character.
Thank you for the informative feedback. I will try to use these things in my gameplay

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I am impressed by Dandy Penguin's showing at Glitch last night. His set with Dath in particular was really fun to watch. #Don'tLetPupperDie

Dawangthang

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dawangthang
Dandy brought the hype for sure. I hope he'll start going to more events soon.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Got 9th at glitch with duck hunt, first time I even used him this year. I just wanted to scrub out early and go home to fire emblem lol

Might pick this character back up

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Didn't know you played the dog for this event. That's super cool! The Duck Hunt community would certainly benefit from your return to the character. You've always put a lot of thought and effort into his meta.

Croi

Smash Lord
All of our smash attacks have buffed knockback growth, allowing them to kill earlier.

Not the fix I was looking for, but I'd buy it for a dollar!

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
The important thing to note is that the last hit of the smash attacks got KBG buffs which still means the 1st and 2nd hits haven't been changed. The first and seconds hits have always been the jankest, which means that we should still expect janky smashes taht don't work all the time.

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
Lol... kinda need a new secondary main because Jigglypuff is mastered. I was planning on learning ALL the characters like on DS but don't feel like it on Wii U. Got any ideas for a third main? Btw, if you didn't know, I play Duck Hunt and JIgglypuff. I would like a fast character since Jiggs is slow and light, and Duck Hunt is tough and pretty fast. So a fast or really tough character would be cool to have. Sooo any ideas??

Furret24

Smash Master
I wouldn't call Duck Hunt "tough". He can't kill for the life of him. Puff isn't all that slow either. ;P

If you want a "fast" and "tough" (aka. Rushdown) character, I'd recommend Falcon. He fits the bill for both of those really well.
:162:

Last edited:

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey everyone I used to be around a bit, but now I'm back full time as I am actually re-entering the scene.

Duck Hunt is one of my primary characters and the tournies out here in LI I entered with him I managed to place 7th and 9th out of 40+, so I'm hoping to come back with more vids and results for the pooch.

I don't think in anyway this char is bottom 10 barring poor representation.
Lets change that this summer :)

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone I used to be around a bit, but now I'm back full time as I am actually re-entering the scene.

Duck Hunt is one of my primary characters and the tournies out here in LI I entered with him I managed to place 7th and 9th out of 40+, so I'm hoping to come back with more vids and results for the pooch.

I don't think in anyway this char is bottom 10 barring poor representation.
Lets change that this summer :)
Hey guy! Diddy Kong is my profile pic cause I used to main him. But now on Wii U I main Duck Hunt, Jigglypuff, and King Dedede! ON the 3DS I main Roy (Bowser Junior) and Villager. Nice to meet you

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Newer Duck Hunt player here. Just wondering if anyone has found good specific Duck Hunt character uses for the new Bidou tech. I'll play around with it and see if it exponentially helps my spacing, and allows for more creative setups.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I feel like Duck Hunt needs his specials far too much to use Bidou.

Bidou is a meme. If people insist on using it, can we at least come up with a better name?

Top Bottom