• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Nair is a great move to add to DH's arsenal. Will be punishing more mistakes with it because it kills pretty early.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nair is a great move to add to DH's arsenal. Will be punishing more mistakes with it because it kills pretty early.
You know... one of the complaints about DHD's competitive viability is that he doesn't kill early.

What's considered "early"?

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik Well kill early in DH's standards lol. I've been able to net kills at around 105 near the edge with it, but on average around 130 is the ideal percentage.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Well, it's official; I'm a Duck Hunt main. Even though I try to use other characters sometimes, I find Duck Hunt to be more fun to play as somehow. I'll admit I have trouble getting kills with him (unless items are a factor), but there's just something about the dog and the duck that makes him appeal to me more than other characters in the game.

And I'd say I actually do pretty well as him, too. I played SSB4 Wii U with a bunch of other people, and I won 2 battles in a row. I mean... Yes, they were stock matches, and yes, items were on... But there were 6 players total at once (I was player 3), so I'm still pretty proud of myself for being able to successfully survive the chaos both times.

(There was a third and final match after that, but I chose to just sit and watch that one, since they changed it to a timed battle as opposed to a stock battle.)

But anyways, yeah. Duck Hunt's my primary character now!

klk155

Smash Cadet
NNID
klk155
Well, it's official; I'm a Duck Hunt main. Even though I try to use other characters sometimes, I find Duck Hunt to be more fun to play as somehow. I'll admit I have trouble getting kills with him (unless items are a factor), but there's just something about the dog and the duck that makes him appeal to me more than other characters in the game.

And I'd say I actually do pretty well as him, too. I played SSB4 Wii U with a bunch of other people, and I won 2 battles in a row. I mean... Yes, they were stock matches, and yes, items were on... But there were 6 players total at once (I was player 3), so I'm still pretty proud of myself for being able to successfully survive the chaos both times.

(There was a third and final match after that, but I chose to just sit and watch that one, since they changed it to a timed battle as opposed to a stock battle.)

But anyways, yeah. Duck Hunt's my primary character now!
I get ya duck hunt expressions make him feel pretty alive compared to the cast , his animations are hilarious too i love when he lays down and closes his eyes when a can is near :4duckhunt:Praise teh doge:4duckhunt:

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Tournament in a week, would like to know which character to second. I am maining Fox and feel very comfortable with King DDD and DH. Ideas? I feel better with Triple D, but I have problems against the Mario brothers.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I'm not SmashChu, but I will say that Mr. Pepper as a playable character would be a bad idea. Primarily for the fact that he is a minor character in a single game that doesn't even preform any form of combat. So minor that he doesn't even have a sticker or trophy in ether Melee or Brawl, the former more so since the ducks have a trophy.

Maybe as a "dud" assist trophy, but not as a playable character.
He is on the game lol

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He is on the game lol
That post was made in 2012...
Funny how in 2012, Habanero Soul Blazer said that Duck Hunt Dog was a bad idea because he is a minor character in only one game and never fought before... and Smashchu said that Duck Hunt Dog was a bad idea because everyone hates him and would ruin the game and hurt sales... and Duck Hunt Dog was already added into the game in 2012. :troll:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Funny how in 2012, Habanero Soul Blazer said that Duck Hunt Dog was a bad idea because he is a minor character in only one game and never fought before... and Smashchu said that Duck Hunt Dog was a bad idea because everyone hates him and would ruin the game and hurt sales... and Duck Hunt Dog was already added into the game in 2012. :troll:
The funny thing about the Duck Hunt game is... well, honestly speaking I consider the Duck Hunt Dog the real star of that game. Not the hunter and not the duck. He is the character most people actually pay attention to in that game. Even though he is a part of a trio, most people don't seem to care about the other two characters that much.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The funny thing about the Duck Hunt game is... well, honestly speaking I consider the Duck Hunt Dog the real star of that game. Not the hunter and not the duck. He is the character most people actually pay attention to in that game. Even though he is a part of a trio, most people don't seem to care about the other two characters that much.
Well, yes... I believe that the dog is the real star of the NES game, not the duck nor the hunter, since he was the one who made the NES game memorable with his trolling laugh. I specifically supported the Duck Hunt Dog from 2002 to 2014... but I also knew that the dog would be generic and bland unless he had stuff from his game as part of his moveset... so I had ducks, clay pigeons, and the unseen hunter as part of my dog's moveset. It was a package deal... you couldn't have the Duck Hunt Dog by itself unless it came with Duck Hunt content. I think Sakurai knew that too. I just didn't expect it to have content from other NES Zapper games but I am happy it does because it officially cemented the Duck Hunt Dog (and Duck) as the mascot(s) of NES Zapper games in general and Duck Hunt as the #1 NES Zapper game.

I know Nintendo did not intend to make the dog an iconic Nintendo character 30+ years ago. They just bundled Duck Hunt with Super Mario Bros. because they found Duck Hunt to be more challenging and fun than Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley. It just happened... the dog was one of the first memes of gaming before memes became a thing. Nintendo was finally acknowledging a character they never intended to be timeless in the trailer. They showed the dog laughing several times in the trailer... granted, the dog wasn't laughing randomly, he was laughing at the most appropriate moments... laughing at you for missing the ducks, laughing at the opponent after the NES Zapper player shot them, laughing at the opponents during the Final Smash, and laughing at the NES Zapper player (you) at the end of the trailer.

The trailer also made it pretty clear that the dog was the one who was being invited to join Smash and the duck and the hunter just tagged along as a package deal... and the stock icon for "Duck Hunt" is the dog himself :4duckhunt:.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Last Saturday I played doubles for the first time.

I know the Dog is probably terrible at it...but Duck Hunt Dog and Little Mac is a riot.

Mac and Quack Attack, baby.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd go into the social threads and share my silhouettes... Hope you enjoy!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
How many else of us are Dog x Duck shippers?

...*awkward silence*

Seriously, though, they're my OTP.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
How many else of us are Dog x Duck shippers?

...*awkward silence*

Seriously, though, they're my OTP.
Thing is for me, the comic where the dog feels guilty for the death of the duck's parents and so he raises the duck on his own is pretty much canon to me, so I see the dog as more of a guardian figure to the duck, and I'm over-thinking this way too much.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Thing is for me, the comic where the dog feels guilty for the death of the duck's parents and so he raises the duck on his own is pretty much canon to me, so I see the dog as more of a guardian figure to the duck, and I'm over-thinking this way too much.
I like that comic, too. I like to think that, if they are in a serious relationship, it started some time after the tournament already began. The strongest relationships tend to be friendships first.

I guess I mostly just think it would be a cute pairing, though. Especially with how I imagine their personalities – I like to think that Dog is silly and puppy-like, but can get serious when he needs to, and Duck is a sarcastic snarker who feels like he needs to get Dog out of trouble all the time, but doesn't mind because he knows Dog will and does do the same for him.

Last edited:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
This is one of the main reasons why I love Duck Hunt so much. Just look at those face.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm highly disappointed of you guys for not having 1131 as a custom set. >:C

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just a reminder that the Zapper holder is still trying to shoot the duck/dog during their smashes, yet are said to work as a trio before.
The NES Zapper player wasn't aiming at the Duck Hunt Duo. He was pointing the gun at the opponents.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Duck Hunt is a real fun character to use. I used to use primarily Kirby, but now I use DH and use Kirby only when I need to. It's a shame you can't use customs, online, though. That's the main mode I do on 3DS but w/e.

Has anyone else noticed that his side aerial has killing potential, though? (The one where the duck attacks, I think)

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt is a real fun character to use. I used to use primarily Kirby, but now I use DH and use Kirby only when I need to. It's a shame you can't use customs, online, though. That's the main mode I do on 3DS but w/e.

Has anyone else noticed that his side aerial has killing potential, though? (The one where the duck attacks, I think)
There are two side-aerials, and the duck attacks in both of them, the back air is the better one for KOing tho. His neutral air (the dog's cartwheel) is also great for KOing if you hit it just right.
Can I just say that for the record, :4duckhunt: is my third main (In the end, at least I main him!:b:) after :4bowserjr:/:4larry:/:4morton:/:4wendy:/:4iggy:/:4roy:/:4lemmy:/:4ludwig:(:laugh:) and:4kirby:.
We don't mind if Duck Hunt is your second, third or fourth main, anyone who plays Duck Hunt is welcome here, there aren't many people who do. Even I've been playing less Duck Hunt, I've picked up Mii Swordfighter recently just for that Dunban outfit, even if Mii Swordfighter is hardly usable. Duck Hunt is probably my second main now, ROB is my number 1 just because he's much easier to use, I have no shame in saying that.

Oh yeah, everyone, don't forget to show all the support to MVD at Sandstorm, repping the dog.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There are two side-aerials, and the duck attacks in both of them, the back air is the better one for KOing tho. His neutral air (the dog's cartwheel) is also great for KOing if you hit it just right.

We don't mind if Duck Hunt is your second, third or fourth main, anyone who plays Duck Hunt is welcome here, there aren't many people who do. Even I've been playing less Duck Hunt, I've picked up Mii Swordfighter recently just for that Dunban outfit, even if Mii Swordfighter is hardly usable. Duck Hunt is probably my second main now, ROB is my number 1 just because he's much easier to use, I have no shame in saying that.

Oh yeah, everyone, don't forget to show all the support to MVD at Sandstorm, repping the dog.
Why, thank you! BTW, does anyone think Duck Hunt will get a new game? TV series? MOVIE?!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why, thank you! BTW, does anyone think Duck Hunt will get a new game? TV series? MOVIE?!
I wish Duck Hunt got a Banjo-Kazooie-esque game... maybe set in a world based on Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, Hogan's Alley, and Gumshoe.

CAN-ACTION

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2019-9877-0866
kind of a dumb question, but if you were to make the sound effect into a vocal whenever rising ("shooting") the can/barrel, what would it be?

pong, pong, pong~
pom, pom, pom~

I'm mainly asking because I've just been wanting to type out the sound effect in chats to just play around with who ever im vsing

edit: lol meant "vocal" not "oval"

Last edited:

Charu

Smash Cadet
I've been playing a crud ton of Duck Hunt lately for like a month or so now. He's definitely a character I'm liking and probably going to stick with him from now on.

It's a good thing I have practice with Yoshi so I can use him if anyone wants to counter with an excessively fast character.

Also, Duck Hunt's up taunt is adorable and I love using it as much as possible.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
kind of a dumb question, but if you were to make the sound effect into a oval whenever rising ("shooting") the can/barrel, what would it be?

pong, pong, pong~
pom, pom, pom~

I'm mainly asking because I've just been wanting to type out the sound effect in chats to just play around with who ever im vsing
Pong, pong, pong, definitely.

I've been playing a crud ton of Duck Hunt lately for like a month or so now. He's definitely a character I'm liking and probably going to stick with him from now on.

It's a good thing I have practice with Yoshi so I can use him if anyone wants to counter with an excessively fast character.

Welcome to the hunt, it's good seeing new faces.

It's great to have a strong secondary with DHD, while DHD is good, some top tier MUs are seriously terrible.

CAN-ACTION

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2019-9877-0866
lol I thought I typed in "vocal" before but realized I typed "oval" instead

I don't usually use DHD's taunts, specifically, because lol they can sure make people mad sometimes but I use them sparingly. I personally like his side taunt, but have grown to using his up taunt more.

I feel like he's a truly good secondary, especially for bigger targets like Bowser, DK, etc.. Definitely slows down the pace of the game with people trying to dodge all of the projectiles we throw out.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd

Welcome to the hunt, it's good seeing new faces.

It's great to have a strong secondary with DHD, while DHD is good, some top tier MUs are seriously terrible.
Or you could be stubborn like me and bash you head against those match ups cuz you're a masochist.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Or you could be stubborn like me and bash you head against those match ups cuz you're a masochist.
Same. Mainly because I like the feeling of being able to give certain characters a hard time when the matchup is so heavily in their favor.

kind of a dumb question, but if you were to make the sound effect into a vocal whenever rising ("shooting") the can/barrel, what would it be?

pong, pong, pong~
pom, pom, pom~

Bing Bong

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I am very partial to saying "dink" for the sound effect, personally. I love referring to it as "dinking the can." It sounds so dumb (and that's why I love it:grin:)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

pong, pong, pong~
pom, pom, pom~

Boom boom boom (the can)

Bang bang bang (other Zapper moves)

Top Bottom