• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I quite like Lucas, he's fun, though I think I'll leave him be. Lots of new Ryu and Roy mains in CFL, Melee players have begun to explore Sm4sh now over here, since there are many fast characters, a few very technical ones, and the DLC seems to be grabbing the attention of many.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've entered an "online tournament" that allows customs.

I've heard Duck Hunt gets better with customs, but I haven't been keeping up with that

Is there any "customs guide" for duck hunt

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I just came off of a tournament I've been stressing about for a while. I went solo Duck Hunt the whole way through, won all my pools and eventually came 4th outta 48 people! I feel elated! I went against three different Sonics in bracket. I beat the first two and eventually got knocked into losers by the last. But it was still a great learning experience! I've never had greater success with Duck Hunt! I'll hopefully getta chance to post up vids soon.

Da tournament results:
http://challonge.com/BCGGJUN2015Sm4shSinglesPro

Feckin' love the dawg.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
@ PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate : I forgot where the "customs guide" was for DH, but if you're wondering which decks to run, the most popular decks for the dog are generally 312x, 311x, 112x, and 111x. I do wonder why Up 3 is not considered that often... Maybe it's the "wakeup DP" utility that Up 2 has that's too good to give up? I personally think so.

Neutral 3, Zigzag Can, is a solid anti-air that, if properly set up & B mashed, can rack up 20+% in 1 go. It's easier to get that damage on wide heavies like King Dedede & Charizard, due to their sizes and poor horizontal aerial movement. Expect to use this in the majority of custom matches.
Neutral 2.... which MUs would I want to run this for? I earnestly do not know. It's probably the worst of his 3 Cans, due to how easily it can backfire on you by the opponent simply shielding it. Mash B when the opponent blocks it upclose? You're getting blown up, and the blocker's safe.

Side 2, Rising Clay, has poor damage all around for its startup & recovery times. It does have decent synergy with Down 2, due to you being able to use Side 2, then immediately Down 2, then immediately Side 2, and so forth (*cue comparisons to Sagat's Tiger Shots & UMVC3!Morrigan's Soul Fists*). As far as I'm aware, the 1 MU you'd want to bring this to is against Sonic, due to how cleanly it stuffs his Spin Dashes.
Side 3, Clay Break, is my personal favorite against wide heavies, but against most of the cast, it's wildly inconsistent, and it can't be shot-up super upclose like Side 1 can.

Up 2, as mentioned earlier, is our "wakeup DP" that's a fantastic Out of Shield (aka Guard Cancel) move for getting the opponent off of you. It can also protect your recovery from spikes and other aerial edgeguards. The 1 major drawback of this is the lack of distance you can go with this, so unless you're at a walled Omega or the Duck Hunt stage (whose walls can allow you to wall-jump to make up for Up 2's shorter distance) or at a walk-off area in either Castle Siege or Delfino, don't expect to go too far for the edgeguards, or even simply recover if you're hit out too far.
Up 3, Super Duck Jump, is not used that often, despite its windbox being able to trouble poor recoveries like those of Ganondorf & Little Mac, due to how linear your already gimpable recovery becomes.

Down 2, Quick Draw Aces, I'd run for aggressive rushdown characters that either have 1 or no projectiles. like Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Fox. I'd also recommend it against Bowser Jr, due to both his Mechakoopas and especially Cannonballs able to pierce through the dog's entire arsenal, so having a Gunmen whose shots will likely come out before getting KO'd will be quite handy, especially since he'll likely be heavily pressuring you with Mechas, Cannonballs, and Side B Jump Cancel mixups.
Down 3, Mega Gunmen, are best for heavy projectile users like Robin, Samus, and Mega Man, due to how much damage it can take from their projectiles that will generally be stopped by MG before getting KO'd. Do note that in terms of time, both out on the field, and until he actually fires, are the longest of the 3 Gunmen.

If you're looking for tournament matches featuring Custom Hunt, try VGBootCamp's Twitch archives (or Tuesday live airings) for the Customs Weeks, or their YouTube channel for the matches, and look for DunnoBro, one of our own resident doggies who had just won VGBootCamp's Customs Tournament last week. :D He's also one of the leading contributors of tech in the Metagame thread here. :)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am significantly better with normal neutral B than zig zag can. I've heard it recommended but I'm going to use normal instead.

I spent too much learn learning techniques with normal can

Xyless

Smash Master
I've been learning Duck Hunt on the side, and I've really started to enjoy him, so I did a Bad Art of him.

(EDIT: removed the white background that my phone tacked on for some reason)

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I've been learning Duck Hunt on the side, and I've really started to enjoy him, so I did a Bad Art of him.

Bootiful...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I love that you used the gunman with the sombrero... that's my favorite gunman.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, I lost the first match of that custom tournament

It's an online tournament over a couple of days

But Duck Hunt is definitely my best character

May have lost, but gave them a run for their money

aDogandBird

Smash Rookie
What skills are in your opinion necessary to compete with DuckHunt
Technical or otherwise in tournaments

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Spatial awareness is pretty necessary. I mean, the same is true for any character but with Duck Hunt it's crucial. You need to know where the can is and what direction it's going in. You need to be super familiar with the timing of each cowboy and what kind of approach they allow you (something that I'm just learning properly now).

I'm still working on it, but just having the patience to work for the kill is a must. Most times I've looked desperately for the kill has proved to be my undoing. Keep calm and carry on, ya know?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Of course spatial awareness is necessary... just like in real life hunting. :awesome:

aDogandBird

Smash Rookie
Thanks
Been having some real Robles with Samus and rushdown
Specially Roy
Cause kills at 40%

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
With the GC controller, :GCLT: is my 3rd jump button to make Can Pressing (i.e. jumping forward or backward while pressing B) while (C-Stick) aerial-ing folks easier, and C-Stick is set to Smash, because being able to :GCCD: while I'm crawling is just too fun, especially if I replicate my avatar during a match. :> As much as I'm supposed to be having Tap Jump OFF, I leave Tap Jump ON, because I apparently cannot let go of easy Guard Cancels Out of Shield (especially if I'm running Up 2). Aside from these adjustments, it's pretty close to the default GC button layout that the game itself assigns.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The people I've been fighting against don't seem to have fought a lot of duck hunt's because the can seems to catch them by surprise a lot

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Greetings, hounds of the unholiest hell.

I'm on a quest to face your finest in a set of recorded matches for MU reference! I'm on 3DS only, which is unfortunate, but I'd be most obliged to anyone willing to oblige me!

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Dear Vermanubis, if you were to write a book, I definitely would read it.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Mark me, had you the console of abode rather than the console of hand, i might have entertained your desire and engaged in competitive canine contests. As we walk different paths, this unfortunately cannot come to fruition.

Yeah, that sucks, man. I'da played. You seem like a cool dude.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I don't come here all that often, but I wanted to stop by and say hello.... and probably goodbye.

Got a bit of a dilemma here: I feel that I have a habit of playing multiple amounts of characters and its affecting how I play in tournaments, playing tons of characters can very likely hurt one in the long term run and I don't want to spread myself too thin and let everyone else in my region pass me by. The more I play, the more I worry about this issue, and I think its time I go on and do something about it. People have told me that if I want to stay successful, I should cut myself down to team of 5 characters max, and they should mostly consist of characters who can synergize well with my main (Mega Man). I've got my main :4megaman:, my 2ndary, :4greninja:, and my pocket list should be 3 max, and this is where the trouble comes; 2 spots are already taken by Pac-Man and Pit respectively; and that leaves me with Sonic, Rosalina, and of course Doggy, anymore would probably overstep my bounds. I've been playing Duck Hunt from the very beginning of the game, and I consider him the most fun to play among the 3 pocket characters I mentioned, and even though he is a highly technical character I like to think that I am pretty decent with him despite that and I am one of the very few people in my state noteworthy for even playing Duck Hunt at all.But knowing his gameplay flaws and how hard it is to play him (although it isn't saying much considering how just about every character I play competitively is technical, barring Pit at least), I don't think it would compliment my main much and it wouldn't do me much justice to keep playing him. He's a very enjoyable character, and although I don't want to release him into the wild I just might have to and give the last slot on my team of 5 to Sanic or Rosaluma instead, and I might not be effective with him in tourneys or money matches anymore :crying:. If that happens, I guess I gotta say goodbye to him y'all and come here on very rare occasions now.

I do hear opinions that state he is quite better with customs though (especially Zig Zag Can), and this keeps me open minded on whether I should keep him or not. I am personally still trying to get used to Zig Zag can, I find it rather complicated to effectively use and am a little too used to the default can.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I don't come here all that often, but I wanted to stop by and say hello.... and probably goodbye.

Got a bit of a dilemma here: I feel that I have a habit of playing multiple amounts of characters and its affecting how I play in tournaments, playing tons of characters can very likely hurt one in the long term run and I don't want to spread myself too thin and let everyone else in my region pass me by. The more I play, the more I worry about this issue, and I think its time I go on and do something about it. People have told me that if I want to stay successful, I should cut myself down to team of 5 characters max, and they should mostly consist of characters who can synergize well with my main (Mega Man). I've got my main :4megaman:, my 2ndary, :4greninja:, and my pocket list should be 3 max, and this is where the trouble comes; 2 spots are already taken by Pac-Man and Pit respectively; and that leaves me with Sonic, Rosalina, and of course Doggy, anymore would probably overstep my bounds. I've been playing Duck Hunt from the very beginning of the game, and I consider him the most fun to play among the 3 pocket characters I mentioned, and even though he is a highly technical character I like to think that I am pretty decent with him despite that and I am one of the very few people in my state noteworthy for even playing Duck Hunt at all.But knowing his gameplay flaws and how hard it is to play him (although it isn't saying much considering how just about every character I play competitively is technical, barring Pit at least), I don't think it would compliment my main much and it wouldn't do me much justice to keep playing him. He's a very enjoyable character, and although I don't want to release him into the wild I just might have to and give the last slot on my team of 5 to Sanic or Rosaluma instead, and I might not be effective with him in tourneys or money matches anymore :crying:. If that happens, I guess I gotta say goodbye to him y'all and come here on very rare occasions now.

I do hear opinions that state he is quite better with customs though (especially Zig Zag Can), and this keeps me open minded on whether I should keep him or not. I am personally still trying to get used to Zig Zag can, I find it rather complicated to effectively use and am a little too used to the default can.
Haha, no need to be so melodramatic about it. We're all still brothers (or sisters) in Smash. Play whoever you like, nobody will hold you accountable as long as you are having fun.

Speaking of mains, I've switched to a Robin main for a little while, to really put effort into her, see what I can do. I'll still use Doggy as a secondary, and this will stay my subforum of choice, though if I want to really explore characters, I've really got to give them a chance, instead of only hanging out on the bleachers.

No worries, I'll still push the Doggy game as hard I have already, and he's still way better for dumb MU's like Rosalina and Fox. Just really wanna test lots of characters before deciding on a final main.

In the end, the more experience we all have, the better we will be.

Also, @ Vermanubis Vermanubis , I'd be down to play with ya. Although I'm labbing Robin primarily at the moment, Doggy is the character I've put the most amount of time with so far, at least 2000+ matches.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Heh, I frequent a lot of character boards that I don't even like to play as.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Hello! I've just recently started playing Duck Hunt more seriously. I love the can. I love the Bair and Dthrow. What I don't love is the incredible lag he has on Fair and Bair, the Smashes not connecting properly, and the (almost) useless-ness of side-b. maybe I'm just using these moves wrong. also, which throw kills the earliest?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hello! I've just recently started playing Duck Hunt more seriously. I love the can. I love the Bair and Dthrow. What I don't love is the incredible lag he has on Fair and Bair, the Smashes not connecting properly, and the (almost) useless-ness of side-b. maybe I'm just using these moves wrong. also, which throw kills the earliest?
Up throw kills around 200+. That's about it.

Bair can be autocancelled, and Side-B is very situational, due to the amount of end lag it has. Still, almost 10% on one projectile is nothing the sneeze at.

As for Smashes not connecting correctly, welcome to the struggle. :4duckhunt: Use U-Air, Trick Shot and bair to KO more reliably

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Being Doge is suffering.

Duckhuny has problems to kill, that's a given, play patiently and they'll eventually come.
Unless you're using Zigzag can, that thing really changes the playstyle.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Ive dedicated myself to landing spikes almost exclusively, using trickery to set them up. Ill let you know how it works out.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Up throw kills around 200+. That's about it.

Bair can be autocancelled, and Side-B is very situational, due to the amount of end lag it has. Still, almost 10% on one projectile is nothing the sneeze at.

As for Smashes not connecting correctly, welcome to the struggle. :4duckhunt: Use U-Air, Trick Shot and bair to KO more reliably
How can you autocancel bair?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The doofus bloodhound is really starting to grow on me. I mean, I already liked him before, but I'm really starting to get attached to him.

Probably in no small part because I've been roleplaying as the duo on another site.

54FEF755-A33C-4FDA-8990-45B9D39D9FCD.JPG
3F8DB838-4757-483B-9820-4230C3D0EED4.JPG

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
@ D Deidara To autocancel BAir from a shorthop, you have to start up the BAir from the moment you start your shorthop. This autocancel also works with DAir & UAir. Sadly, it does not work with NAir or FAir.

It may be almost an entire month since the debut of Lucas, but I'm still ADORING the idea of repping the Boney outfit around him (that's the all brown coloured duo, btw), whether I'm against him in FG Anywhere, or especially with him repping the Boney Face Shirt in Teams. In FG Teams at least, these two have some surprisingly good synergy, at least in terms of breaking into campsites. He can heal off of our Cans, we can cover him as he's setting up PK Freezes & Thunders, and he definitely has more KO power than us, but his recovery is at least better than Ness's (Rope Snake tether~) though still questionable. Unlike Pac-Man, we don't have a trampoline to help him up with if he goofs up on his PK Thunder/Rope Snake tether. :<

Funny that you speak of RP-ing as him, 'cus I've actually been planning some fanfiction starring the duo, though it's been on & off for quite a long while, and within my short scraps, he's crossed over with Ness, Lucas, Villagers (both male & female, and all that I've mentioned thus far are folks the duo are buddies with) and Bowser Jr./Koopalings (whom the duo will fight). As for characterization, I have them pegged as loyal & wise guardians to his buddies, even though the duo cannot speak to humans and are only able to speak to each other (what's merely barks & quacks to everyone else around them are actual dialogue to each other). The 2 fic ideas that have had anything drabbled or so are various slice-of-life-y moments inspired by peaceful anime like Aria the Animation & Sketchbook ~full color'S~, and a 4v4 team battle scene with DH, Ness, Lucas, and Chillager VS Ludwig, Iggy, Lemmy, and Larry.

One of the most reoccurring songs that seem to speak to me, whenever I think of fanficcing the duo, is "Discussion -HEAT UP-" from the Dangan Ronpa OST, and said music association becomes crazy powerful to me whenever I think of his Final Smash and the Gunmen prepping their shots, as well as his Final Smash trophy with that sheer deviously trolly look on the dog's face....

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
@ D Deidara Funny that you speak of RP-ing as him, 'cus I've actually been planning some fanfiction starring the duo, though it's been on & off for quite a long while, and within my short scraps, he's crossed over with Ness, Lucas, Villagers (both male & female, and all that I've mentioned thus far are folks the duo are buddies with) and Bowser Jr./Koopalings (whom the duo will fight). As for characterization, I have them pegged as loyal & wise guardians to his buddies, even though the duo cannot speak to humans and are only able to speak to each other (what's merely barks & quacks to everyone else around them are actual dialogue to each other). The 2 fic ideas that have had anything drabbled or so are various slice-of-life-y moments inspired by peaceful anime like Aria the Animation & Sketchbook ~full color'S~, and a 4v4 team battle scene with DH, Ness, Lucas, and Chillager VS Ludwig, Iggy, Lemmy, and Larry.

One of the most reoccurring songs that seem to speak to me, whenever I think of fanficcing the duo, is "Discussion -HEAT UP-" from the Dangan Ronpa OST, and said music association becomes crazy powerful to me whenever I think of his Final Smash and the Gunmen prepping their shots, as well as his Final Smash trophy with that sheer deviously trolly look on the dog's face....
They're really fun to write for.

For plots, well. This board takes place in an infinite crossover "hub" called the Donut Bar. So right now, he's part of a larger plotline involving ponies, Ganondorf, and really obscure anime.

For how I characterize them;
The dog, I portray as being very puppy-like. He loves people and treats everything (except Ganondorf) like a game. But, he's loyal to a fault and is a savant in combat strategy.

The duck, I portray as being sarcastic and slightly pretentious, but well-meaning. If there's one sentence that describes his attitude, it's; "What did you do THIS time, Mr. Peepers?" But his frustration with the dog is anger born of worry more than anything; I portray that one comic (you know the one) as being what happened, and he couldn't forgive himself if the guy who raised him wound up getting himself hurt.

They don't talk, instead using Garfield-esque "they can be understood despite that" speech for simplicity's sake. (In fact, what he said he asked himself about in that screencap was why people understood him even though he can't talk.)

I tend to make musical associations, too. With the dog alone (which sometimes happens), I tend to listen to Detective Gumshoe's theme from the Ace Attorney series. It was an association that formed by accident, since both Gumshoe and my rendition of Peepers have the characterization of "dim-witted, but good at their jobs".
With both of them in action together, I tend to listen to Rowdy Rumble from Kingdom Hearts II since, like the mini-bosses it originally played during, they may be silly, but they're nothing to sneeze at.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I have been working on my Duck Hunt plush. Dog is mostly done but needs work in some areas. I intend to replace the collar. I plan to make the duck plush too.

The dots I put on the muzzle and the collar is hard to see due to flash so here is a picture without flash.

This is my first time trying to embroider on plush so the eyes may look a little odd because I combined embroidery with the fuzzy minky and the white fuzz on that minky is blocking a little portion of the pupil on the first pic so that is why the eye looks a little strange especially in the first picture.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I have been working on my Duck Hunt plush. Dog is mostly done but needs work in some areas. I intend to replace the collar. I plan to make the duck plush too.

The dots I put on the muzzle and the collar is hard to see due to flash so here is a pucture without flash.

This is my first time trying to embroider on plush so the eyes may look a little odd because I combined embroidery with the fuzzy minky and the white fuzz on that minky is blocking a little portion of the pupil on the first pic so that is why the eye looks a little strange especially in the first picture.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute<3

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239

The dots I put on the muzzle and the collar is hard to see due to flash so here is a pucture without flash.

AAAAH! That's incredible work! Nicely done!

Top Bottom