• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
going to my first tournament on saturday. it's gonna be a 2-day tournament, I will be entering with DHD as my main. however, I'm having a hard time picking between ROB or Villager as my secondary. which character do you think pairs better with DHD covering as many matchups as possible?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just play with whoever you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I like ROB but I think his back aerial and down aerial moves were nerfed. Those were some of my favorite kill moves in Brawl.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I think @ WispBae WispBae runs Villager alongside the Dog. She might offer insight.

Also, I'm doing a tourney this weekend. My alt choices are Olimar and Wario. Thoughts?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I think @ WispBae WispBae runs Villager alongside the Dog. She might offer insight.

Also, I'm doing a tourney this weekend. My alt choices are Olimar and Wario. Thoughts?
I do main villager as well. ROB plays very similarly to Duck Hunt, with tons of projectile play, though he has a harder time following up on a laser or gyro. Villager is very balanced, and dare I say "better" overall in MU's. She really doesn't have a huge amount of hard MU's, you just have to play the keep away game at low percents, then trap game at high percents. I'd g with villy since she's easier, but ROb has better pressure and KO options.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
I do main villager as well. ROB plays very similarly to Duck Hunt, with tons of projectile play, though he has a harder time following up on a laser or gyro. Villager is very balanced, and dare I say "better" overall in MU's. She really doesn't have a huge amount of hard MU's, you just have to play the keep away game at low percents, then trap game at high percents. I'd g with villy since she's easier, but ROb has better pressure and KO options.
i feel like ROB is super easy to just pick up and kill people with, with little to no practice before-hand. it takes me a while to get used to villager but I think it would be more beneficial to me since ROB and DHD do mostly the same job, while villager is the hard counter to the DHD-stlye play.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I apologize for misrepresenting at a tournament, my fellow Dogs, but it is what it is. I couldn't get out of my first pool.

I got stomped by a really good Falcon and a monster Ike named Ryuga.

I almost took a set off a Diddy. Had an awesome comeback the second one, and gimped his recovery with a can placement. My first match with him I was winning, but my freaking shield button broke on my controller mid match and I didn't ask for a redo. The third I was winning and then blew a recovery.

I beat one guy but it didn't look like his heart was in it, so I don't take much from it.

Lastly, I faced a Rosalina. Lost the first, switched to Alph and took the second, then stuck with Alph and lost.

On a more positive note, during friendlies another DHD player complimented my can control. I must spend a lot of time with canwork. When I think about it, a lot of my damage comes from it.

Anyways y'all, I apologize, but I'll keep going and trying to get better at this.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
I apologize for misrepresenting at a tournament, my fellow Dogs, but it is what it is. I couldn't get out of my first pool.

I got stomped by a really good Falcon and a monster Ike named Ryuga.

I almost took a set off a Diddy. Had an awesome comeback the second one, and gimped his recovery with a can placement. My first match with him I was winning, but my freaking shield button broke on my controller mid match and I didn't ask for a redo. The third I was winning and then blew a recovery.

I beat one guy but it didn't look like his heart was in it, so I don't take much from it.

Lastly, I faced a Rosalina. Lost the first, switched to Alph and took the second, then stuck with Alph and lost.

On a more positive note, during friendlies another DHD player complimented my can control. I must spend a lot of time with canwork. When I think about it, a lot of my damage comes from it.

Anyways y'all, I apologize, but I'll keep going and trying to get better at this.
Ryuga?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Hay guise. would it be a good idea to get together with folks online sometimes in game, compare notes? I know the gamepad Mic sucks but it's not incomprehensible.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Best Duck Hunt user?
I'd say Guy, he is the ultimate trickster when it comes to the projectiles and the timing of smashes

Last edited by a moderator:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Best Duck Hunt user?
I'd say Guy, he is the ultimate trickster when it comes to the projectiles and the timing of smashes
MVD/Brood, Guy/Dunnobro, Gadiel_Vastar

Our top 5 (maybe replace Gadiel with another japanese DH (Allie?))

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Funny Duck Hunt story..

My friends hate Duck Hunt with a passion. I've mained Duck Hunt since day one cause I knew this character was special, and they get so annoyed when I play as him. One of my friends got so mad that he said Duck Hunt was not a legitimate character cause he is only projectiles. I dared him that I could beat him in a 4 stock match with Duck Hunt without using any projectiles. I 3 stocked him, and he never dissed Duck Hunt again...

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirst

@ Octagon Octagon Merged your thread yet again with the social thread yet again since it didn't need to be a separate topic.

Yeah, DH's disjoints are lovely in CQC. The Can is his lifeblood but without it, he's still not bad and is better than other projectile-reliant characters like Pacman without his items.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
@ Octagon Octagon Merged your thread yet again with the social thread yet again since it didn't need to be a separate topic.

Yeah, DH's disjoints are lovely in CQC. The Can is his lifeblood but without it, he's still not bad and is better than other projectile-reliant characters like Pacman without his items.
Oh sorry about that haha. But yeah thats another reason Duck Hunt is amazing, hs projectiles are the best but he can still hold hs own without them

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love DHD's moves. I use the discs as often as the cans. I just wish that the discs were faster just like in the NES game... also kinda wish the discs hit as hard as the cans... I mean, the cans are not really explosives since they are empty but they explode... so why not have the discs explode too? Moves that involve gunshots from the NES Zapper should be powerful.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I love DHD's moves. I use the discs as often as the cans. I just wish that the discs were faster just like in the NES game... also kinda wish the discs hit as hard as the cans... I mean, the cans are not really explosives since they are empty but they explode... so why not have the discs explode too? Moves that involve gunshots from the NES Zapper should be powerful.
If the discs were faster then he would be so op. Each successful disc does 12%, so if you were almost guaranteed a 12% each time considering its speed and how you timed it then he would rack up damage super quick. And the can does 8% (not entirely sure on that) so that means a successful disc does more damage, but of course less knockback

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If the discs were faster then he would be so op. Each successful disc does 12%, so if you were almost guaranteed a 12% each time considering its speed and how you timed it then he would rack up damage super quick. And the can does 8% (not entirely sure on that) so that means a successful disc does more damage, but of course less knockback
Well, he will need those buffs if he's designed to be a fighter who has to rack up damage to 150% or 200% before he can knock them off screen.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
MVD/Brood, Guy/Dunnobro, Gadiel_Vastar

Our top 5 (maybe replace Gadiel with another japanese DH (Allie?))
Allie is definitely good, I think he could replace me just fine. I honestly have a lot of mental work I need to do in my game as well as getting better at finding my opponent's habits and abusing them.

One thing is that you can't get upset for the opponent not dieing even if it's @ 300%. If you have to keep working for the kill then let it be. I got frustrated the other day when I was up by a lot but ended up not keeping the pressure up because I couldn't kill.

Shmoopy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jordanious24
3DS FC
3995-6588-3249
ok so WHAT is so good about Duck Hunt in game?
Not hating--curious.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
ok so WHAT is so good about Duck Hunt in game?
Not hating--curious.
Projectile versatility, as in, Trick Shot can lock down areas and can be used in a magnitude of different ways, Gunman can force options since you can maintain movement while using it, and Clay Pigeon has enough hitstun that you can get follow-ups. His disjointed aerials are good too, and with a mix of clever Trick Shot placement and Gunman control, you can stay on the offensive with relatively safe attacks. Trick Shot is also nice for use as a standard projectile if you dtilt it or ledge attack it.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Hi Duck Hunt board, I send greetings from the Falco board! :4falco:

So um, how are you guys? :)
We're great! How bout then Falco boards? You should get your best Falcos and we'll get our best Duck Hunts and we'll see who's the better character!!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Projectile versatility, as in, Trick Shot can lock down areas and can be used in a magnitude of different ways, Gunman can force options since you can maintain movement while using it, and Clay Pigeon has enough hitstun that you can get follow-ups. His disjointed aerials are good too, and with a mix of clever Trick Shot placement and Gunman control, you can stay on the offensive with relatively safe attacks. Trick Shot is also nice for use as a standard projectile if you dtilt it or ledge attack it.
Yeah, it's as if DHD is designed to be a campy fighter. Maybe THAT is why the competitive players don't like to play as DHD and don't like to fight against DHD? :ohwell:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Yeah, it's as if DHD is designed to be a campy fighter. Maybe THAT is why the competitive players don't like to play as DHD and don't like to fight against DHD? :ohwell:
He may be designed that way but i dont think you need to play in a campy way. I admit i sometimes do but most of the time i like to mix things up

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, I don't play campy. I don't sit around in one spot and throw projectiles left and right... only time I do sit in one spot is when I am shooting the can to finish off the airborne opponent after I sent them off stage with normal moves.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for you all: Is DHD spectator friendly?
I really can't be sure, since I'm a DHD main, I almost always find games with the character interesting since I'm looking out for things. But for the average viewer, is he fun to watch? I'm not sure, usually projectile heavy characters aren't that fun to watch, but I wonder if there's just so much nonsense with DHD that his projectile game becomes good to watch, like Morrigan or Zero in UMvC3. My main concern for DHD as a spectator friendly character is that games go on for too long, like probably not as bad as Sonic, but they go on for a while. If a DHD can get an off-stage gimp, I see that being an exciting moment to watch, but it rarely occurs.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
^ If the Duck Hunt is actually good and utilize his reat pressure and trap options then yeah. If he does little but sit there camping almost the entire time, then not really. As far as I've seen, most Duck Hunts are kinda bad and do just that, and given his absurd learning curve I feel that there aren't too many people who use him even close to his full potential. Actually, considering how he isn't that popular, its kinda hard to even find people playing him at all. In general, aggressiveness in Fighting games is usually considered more fun to play and specactor than defensive play (which is why Melee is a lot more popular than Brawl competitively). Although he's obviously not a rushdown character, I think Duck Hunt is super good at playing offensively due to his high damage, great approaches, and pressure options with his projectiles; I even go as far to find him better find him a little more effective as an offensive character than a defensive one who plays with careful aggression, considering how slow and awkward his projectiles are.

With all this, I think Duck Hunt has potential to easily be a crowd pleaser. The trouble is, he doesn't really have enough players to attract enough spectators and isn't really that popular as a whole character in this game. And as for the few who do play him, I feel most of them just sit there camping and don't really utilize the other cool stuff he can do, and it seems to me that its kinda making him look bad since not everyone enjoys highly defensive play.

To sum it up, I think he would and could appeal to crowds, he just doesn't have enough players that show what he's made of.

Top Bottom