• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
...I think I'll start referring to my doggy as "Boney" now :3
I kinda want to see SSB4 hacks with Duck Hunt Dog & Duck being replaced by Runaway Dog & Spiteful Crow from EarthBound. :troll:

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
Already saw it.... posted it in the other thread last week... no one commented it yet though. :ohwell:
It's not unavoidable like a ken combo but it is a nice punishment/surprise for those who don't know it's coming or those who over extend their recovery. It'd been my goal to take out all 3 of villagers balloons with one down air. lol

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love DHD's aerial down+A move too. I love moves that cause opponents to fall straight down... like Ganondorf's and Ness's aerial down+A moves. Do you think the hitbox feels kinda small and lacking priority?

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
I love DHD's aerial down+A move too. I love moves that cause opponents to fall straight down... like Ganondorf's and Ness's aerial down+A moves. Do you think the hitbox feels kinda small and lacking priority?
The priority is much better at the lower tip of the attack. I would consider the priority to be on the medium/low side. The over all hit box is fairly large.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ahh, well... maybe I need to work on my timing... and figure out which other moves have better priority. Maybe that cartwheel move? At least it can hit multiple times...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was playing Smash Wii U the other day and I saw one of those tips, you know those things that appear before each match, and this tip said "the Duck Hunt dog and duck..." and I'm like "so Duck Hunt Dog is correct too" It's just that Duck Hunt Dog refers to the dog only... whereas Duck Hunt Duo refers to both the dog and the duck... and Duck Hunt refers to the duo plus the NES Zapper player.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I had to come and say Duck Hunt is so trollfully good! Easily one of my new mains, hes so tough to approach :p

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I love DHD's aerial down+A move too. I love moves that cause opponents to fall straight down... like Ganondorf's and Ness's aerial down+A moves.
I only dislike how weak it is. Most characters can easily recover after it when they have <100% damage.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I only dislike how weak it is. Most characters can easily recover after it when they have <100% damage.
It can inflict up to 15% damage if you managed to hit the opponent twice... it's about timing. I wish DHD had more meteor smash moves than only that one move.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so in the tournament I went to I ended up BTFO by a player who beat everyone else in the tournament with no stock loss, I was actually able to take off a stock and then cause him to SD in the next match, sadly since I was the first player to go against him I only got to play one game despite giving him the most trouble (single elimination salt). I've started working on mind-games and mixing up my attacks and playstyle to help me improve, as well as trying to find combos and techs.

Anyway,
Who else is legitimatley annoyed that he doesn't have the iconic laugh as a taunt.
The side taunt is close enough to that for me, and I think it fits better as a victory animation, but I can see where you're coming from.
It can inflict up to 15% damage if you managed to hit the opponent twice... it's about timing. I wish DHD had more meteor smash moves than only that one move.
Yeah, but he has moves that can push them off the top or side as well, and the nair can be difficult to DI, so you can throw them off in terms of where you're gonna hit them. He still has difficulties KOing though, it's about finding a mistake and punishing in any way you can.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Who else is legitimatley annoyed that he doesn't have the iconic laugh as a taunt.
I don't mind that the animation, but I was really hoping that it would at least have the classic sound bit. Or it would act like Little Mac's (Doc Louis dialogue) where it would randomly happen.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I thought he does have it... but I guess you meant the one with the same animation like this...

At least it is part of his entrance, victory pose, Final Smash, and his stage.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I thought he does have it... but I guess you meant the one with the same animation like this...
I think he is referring to the actual laugh sound bit.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, okay... well, the Duck Hunt trailer never gets old for me. :awesome:

Just saw this...

I've seen that before, I've always thought that the Final Smash shown in the video was a better idea than Blue Falcon but with guns, not sure how it could be implemented though. It could've been like Snake's Final Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In the latest issue of Famistu, Sakurai talks about the reasons for the Duck Hunt Duo's inclusion into Smash 4.
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...ayer-smash-originally-planned-for-melee-more/
One of the topics Famitsu brings up is the inclusion of Duck Hunt. “The original Duck Hunt is a quite major game,” Sakurai said. He notes that the title could be the best-selling shooter game in the world since it was included with the NES in America.

Sakurai continues by mentioning that reviving the setting and fun of the original game is one reason to bring Duck Hunt to the Smash Bros. roster. However, he explains that “it is very important how different characters make the game interesting with their individuality.” According to Sakurai, Duck Hunt is something that hasn’t been seen before as there is a third person who aids the player when attacking, mimicking the gun shooting mechanic of the original game.
Sakurai added DHD for a few reasons:

1. Duck Hunt is the best selling shooter game in the world. (it printed lots of money for Nintendo)
2. The idea of breaking the fourth wall to fight. (uniqueness potential)
3. Sakurai wants to revive the setting and fun of the NES game. (remember this?)

Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.
Duck Hunt Uprising confirmed :troll:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly though I could see them reviving the series in some way in the future.
I hope so too... especially if we can play as the dog & duck duo like Banjo-Kazooie... that would be amazing!

Spirst

Alright, looks like I'm the resident mod here now. Now that we actually have a local mod who plays the character and is active, this place can finally get cleaned up. Any questions/concerns/stuff, feel free to PM me.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Alright, looks like I'm the resident mod here now. Now that we actually have a local mod who plays the character and is active, this place can finally get cleaned up. Any questions/concerns/stuff, feel free to PM me.
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Spirst

Thanks, guys. I'm happy the DH boards finally have an actual mod now. It was pretty ridiculous we didn't have anybody to keep an eye on here, organize things, and sticky the appropriate threads. I know like nobody cares about our character but sheeeesh.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I know like nobody cares about our character but sheeeesh.
They can't handle the hunt.
It very interesting duck hunt dog got in kind of the same way pit got in brawl
Definitely, on this topic and about Duck Hunt getting a reboot I do have a few issues that differ Pit and Duck Hunt. First off, Pit was almost a main character in Brawl, he was one of the main fighters in the SSE, was unlocked from the start and was on the front cover and a lot of the trailers, despite not many people knowing about him. Pit was all over the place and a ton of people learnt who Pit was from Brawl, thus he could be changed freely from the original game in to a new style.

DHD on the other hand, was in one trailer, and is kept on the down-low. People also know who the Duck Hunt dog is anyway, he's fairly infamous in gaming and anyone with knowledge of retro gaming knows who he is, he's not like Pit or Takamaru or any other of those who are under an extreme "literally who" status. This is where issues come in, people know the gameplay of Duck Hunt, and their may be backlash if it differs from the original gameplay and style too much, even if Duck Hunt was a very basic game. Not to say I don't support a Duck Hunt: Uprising, but there are more issues with it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
They can't handle the hunt.

Definitely, on this topic and about Duck Hunt getting a reboot I do have a few issues that differ Pit and Duck Hunt. First off, Pit was almost a main character in Brawl, he was one of the main fighters in the SSE, was unlocked from the start and was on the front cover and a lot of the trailers, despite not many people knowing about him. Pit was all over the place and a ton of people learnt who Pit was from Brawl, thus he could be changed freely from the original game in to a new style.

DHD on the other hand, was in one trailer, and is kept on the down-low. People also know who the Duck Hunt dog is anyway, he's fairly infamous in gaming and anyone with knowledge of retro gaming knows who he is, he's not like Pit or Takamaru or any other of those who are under an extreme "literally who" status. This is where issues come in, people know the gameplay of Duck Hunt, and their may be backlash if it differs from the original gameplay and style too much, even if Duck Hunt was a very basic game. Not to say I don't support a Duck Hunt: Uprising, but there are more issues with it.
No i mean pit got in the series because he wanted to resurrect the series

For pits he double dipped that with kid icarus rising upspring so pit is relevant from that

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wouldn't mind if Duck Hunt Uprising is very different from the original NES game... at least it will be available on Wii U Virtual Console... and they could always include duck shooting mini-games and clay shooting mini-games in Duck Hunt Uprising.

Duck Hunt Uprising could be a collect-a-thon game like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie... the dog and duck duo exploring the Hogan's Alley streets and buildings... and the Wild Gunman town and desert... and of course the Duck Hunt marshland... and if Nintendo/Sakurai remembers Gumshoe, they could always include the city, the ocean, and Zulie's Jungle.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
No i mean pit got in the series because he wanted to resurrect the series
The thing is, does he want to revive the series, or revive the setting, if he's just reviving the setting there's a good chance that this is just for Smash Bros. Reviving the setting doesn't necessarily mean a reboot, though it makes it more likely.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I like his utaunt (whichever one is the one where he stands on his hind legs and does a little jingle, not the one where the duck scolds him).

It kind of looks like he's going "AAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYEEEE"

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've seen people criticize his up-taunt, because it seems random.
It is not.
I think he is waving at the hunter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I've seen people criticize his up-taunt, because it seems random.
It is not.
I think he is waving at the hunter.
I wish he is laughing at the hunter for being a bad shot (looking at the smashes).

Top Bottom