• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
This is one of my favorite characters so far. I almost want to make a thread for his moveset but don't know how needed it is.

In any case his specials are awesome. You can keep shooting the can (B) after it's brought out and the clay pigeon works the same way, almost like a Din's Fire you can detonate but can't control. The gunman has a range of about half of FD and can shoot the can if it's out.

His tilts are all the duck pecking or slapping with its wings. His smashes are basically gunshots that miss the dog but correspond to the direction of the smash. aerials are mostly bird, but nair is like a Kirby sort of nair.

Anyone want to know anything about Duck Hunt? I'll get you answers!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This is one of my favorite characters so far. I almost want to make a thread for his moveset but don't know how needed it is.

In any case his specials are awesome. You can keep shooting the can (B) after it's brought out and the clay pigeon works the same way, almost like a Din's Fire you can detonate but can't control. The gunman has a range of about half of FD and can shoot the can if it's out.

His tilts are all the duck pecking or slapping with its wings. His smashes are basically gunshots that miss the dog but correspond to the direction of the smash. aerials are mostly bird, but nair is like a Kirby sort of nair.

Anyone want to know anything about Duck Hunt? I'll get you answers!
I really suggest to do a thread for movesets, it'd be really helpful for people wanting to know more about DHD.

One question: Do the Gunmen shoot in different "pauses", or do they always shoot after same "pause?" I'm kinda referring to how difficult each of them got in their original games (shooting faster than the last like in Kirby's Quick Draw and such games)

Oh right

You got your laughing dog as a victory guys

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think I saw a victory where he laughs at you while sitting on his 8-bit grass? Definitely in Tumblr.
He does have the laugh... but it wasn't THE Laugh. You know that 8-bit sound he makes when he laughs? I didn't hear it.

ndayday

BRoomer
I really suggest to do a thread for movesets, it'd be really helpful for people wanting to know more about DHD.

One question: Do the Gunmen shoot in different "pauses", or do they always shoot after same "pause?" I'm kinda referring to how difficult each of them got in their original games (shooting faster than the last like in Kirby's Quick Draw and such games)

Oh right

You got your laughing dog as a victory guys
Yes, they shoot at different times. this is what it looks like to me, fastest to slowest:

Brown Coat (near instant)
tall black shirt
white sombrero
short cowboy
tall white shirt (very significant pause)

they are summoned randomly

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
He does have the laugh... but it wasn't THE Laugh. You know that 8-bit sound he makes when he laughs? I didn't hear it.
The 8-bit one? Oh. Wouldn't it happen in the victory screen I showed above?

Yes, they shoot at different times. this is what it looks like to me, fastest to slowest:

Brown Coat (near instant)
tall black shirt
white sombrero
short cowboy
tall white shirt (very significant pause)

they are summoned randomly
So I was right! I guess it wasn't just my inner gut feeling that the Gunmen-move will have the cowboys shoot in their own speeds. Also I noticed that the Brown Coat shoots fastest and Lanky White slowest in the original game. Sweet! Thanks for taking your time to look!

I'll check if the rest of the order is correct.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The 8-bit one? Oh. Wouldn't it happen in the victory screen I showed above?
I tried to listen to that one but I couldn't hear anything I recognized. Maybe it's the sound quality of the camera or it simply wasn't in the game. Maybe someone with better hearing can detect it?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I tried to listen to that one but I couldn't hear anything I recognized. Maybe it's the sound quality of the camera or it simply wasn't in the game. Maybe someone with better hearing can detect it?
Maybe it's the Muttley-style one still, sadly. I guess it synced better with the animation. Eeh.

ndayday

BRoomer
additionally the gunmen shoot for different damage and thus knockback (?):

(sorry that I don't know the names of these guys hehe)

lanky white: 4
short cowboy: 4
lanky black: 5
brown coat: 6
white sombrero: 7

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
additionally the gunmen shoot for different damage and thus knockback (?):

(sorry that I don't know the names of these guys hehe)

lanky white: 4
short cowboy: 4
lanky black: 5
brown coat: 6
white sombrero: 7
They don't have names. We'll just dub them these. I rename "Cowboy" due being the originally first seen one in most depictions of Wild Gunman.

Anyway, in the original game, from the fastest to slowest:

Brown Coat (0.40)
Sombrero Guy (0.90)
Formal Black (1.20
Cowboy (appears first always thought) (1.30)
Lanky White (1.50)

I guess by this logic the Sombrero dude is second fastest.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sombrero Guy is my favorite gunman! Always liked the sombrero and the poncho... reminds me of those old western movies... Clint Eastwood anyone?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So duck hunt uses thing from other nes zapper games right? Something similar could work for other retro characters, next time round I'll have to see if there are things to borrow from other nintendo retro fighting games when designing a move set for the urban champion

Perhaps the lip fans could do something similar with nintendos puzzle games

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I know this was stated, but WOW LOGIC! We got a goddess, a cosmic-reality bender, A Robot of no mercy, The reincarnation of the goddess of wisdom, The reincarnation of the God of Power, A magic bounty hunter that is one of the most powerful Nintendo characters, the Dark half of a GODSLAYER (and the light half), a turtle that doesn't stay dead, A boxer who beat the guy who punched the moon out of orbit (and Mike Tyson) , 3 of the most powerful magic swordsmen in Gaming, 2 people who can eat which is already dead (and steal their capabilities), a badass, A fire breathing dragon, and the fastest gaming character, the embodiment of control (how I see Master Core)

And we have a simple duck and dog, who can defeat all of them in a row. Logic.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And we have a simple duck and dog, who can defeat all of them in a row. Logic.
I know right? That makes them even more awesome! :awesome:

In fact, "but he's just a dog!" was a common argument the detractors liked to use. Sakurai doesn't think it's a problem. :cool:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'll be honest, this whole Duck Hunt character is really starting to grow on me. I think it's a really good character choice, and the way they implemented it seems really fun and very creative (though I'm still unsure of how those specials work...).

I'm looking forward to trying out Duck Hunt (Dog), and I'm especially looking forward to seeing how he looks in HD.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DHD gives me a muttley vibe

Maybe he's one of the smash villains!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I actually vaguely remember this character after seeing a video somewhere of the actual game lol. Him coming out of the grass and laughing look familiar. I know very little retro games so this is surprising to me haha. Nonetheless I can easily see him being in my Top 10 most used characters. Easily. Loving all the gameplay we are seeing of him.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I love it how he is representing two franchises Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman. btw is his official name Duck Hunt?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love it how he is representing two franchises Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman. btw is his official name Duck Hunt?
Three, actually. You forgot Hogan's Alley. It's represented through the tin cans and the cardboard cutouts (they appear in the Final Smash).

Edit: These three games were the first games to use the NES Zapper.

Last edited:

SmashTimeGo

Smash Rookie
So, Duck Hunt Dog. Isn't he already in the game? With the other leaks? Bdcool213 did a livestream from a japan demo, and the leaks were true, Duck Hunt Doge is in:) + I think Snake is not going to be in the next Smash Bros.

Thank You and GoodNight
:psycho::bluejump::roll:

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
Disappointed with his victory pose, it should've been The Laugh. Start the battle with the laugh, win the battle and laugh.
You know characters have 3 victory poses in this game right? In fact he does have the laugh as one of his victory poses. It's at the end of this video

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
To make the laugh REALLY authentic, they should make the dog laugh at the player controlling him
for losing XD.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler or someone else, please do me a favor. See, I'm on my Wii U right now and I don't have a computer. Can you screen cap that Tumblr post... everything... and PM me the pic... I want to post it on the OP of the "I was wrong" thread. :troll:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler or someone else, please do me a favor. See, I'm on my Wii U right now and I don't have a computer. Can you screen cap that Tumblr post... everything... and PM me the pic... I want to post it on the OP of the "I was wrong" thread. :troll:
On it, gimme a sec xD

Kjellson

Smash Rookie
Several days afterwards, I still can't believe that the dog from Duck Hunt is playable.

I remember just before the leak I thought how awesome it would be to see him playable, but there was no chance such an obscure character would be in.

And now he's in. This is nuts.

Top Bottom