• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey Diddy Boards probably my first time posting here but I only have a question(s) with sub questions in itself to ask Atm:

• Varying on Diddy's Side-B grab off stage, when should you release letting them mash out?
-If so, for which characters of the cast should i let them release out to possibly footstool them if possible? (also for the vertical lacking characters)
-If you happen to Side-B grab someone and you're under stage/lip, you're able to wall-cling and/or wall-jump off the surface right?

Player-1

Smash Legend
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...footstool-works-on-these-eleven-chars.218521/

It's not actually guaranteed on some of these chars because they can DI away before you're able to footstool them, but you can follow their DI since when you grab someone with side-b you'll still move with the opponent and the opponent can control what direction they go in so if you're both moving left after you grab them then your opponent is holding the control stick left which means you know which way they're going and can follow their DI and footstool them out of it. I know characters with high air mobility like wario can just hold away and you can't follow them fast enough to get it so it's not guaranteed on chars like wario if they just hold away. A lot of times since GR > side-b is guaranteed on wario I'll just jump off of them instead of letting them mash out if they're holding away though. You can wall jump/cling after you let them go, yes.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
What is a good way to master diddy's infinite?

Break it into steps, and don't practise step two until you can do step one 100% consistently. Don't practise step three until you can consistently do steps one and two together, etc.

Atlas Usagi

Smash Rookie
Break it into steps, and don't practise step two until you can do step one 100% consistently. Don't practise step three until you can consistently do steps one and two together, etc.

Thanks, but do you or anybody know a good tutorial/video on learning the infinite?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I know there's a thread on the Diddy forum somewhere, but I can't remember what it's called. It took me ages to find actual information on Diddy's infinites.

Atlas Usagi

Smash Rookie
I know there's a thread on the Diddy forum somewhere, but I can't remember what it's called. It took me ages to find actual information on Diddy's infinites.
I need to learn the infinite to step up my diddy game, i learned most of his tech diddy's tech. Hopefully when I find a tutorial on the infinite, I can pick it up easily

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Summary: SNL d-throw spacing tips plz

I've been practicing the SNL for a while on Marth and Snake (because the timing and spacing are similar) but when I try it on other characters (MK) I keep messing up the spacing (not the timing). I've gotten pretty good at recognizing when an insta-throw down will send them the wrong direction and am able to continue the infinite by following them, but they move an extra trip distance in that direction (potentially off of the stage). How can I tell that my spacing is correct on characters before I d-throw?

Zinoto

Smash Lord
You said it exactly as I would describe it to you. It's a feeling. Characters like :wolf:, :metaknight:. and :gw: are easy because you can just buffer it and it'll work out fine. The characters like :marth: and :snake: just take practice until you get the proper notion of when you ave the spacing down. I really don't know any visual cues on it, you kind of just feel when you're gonna mess it up.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Just to be sure, is it random, or simply very difficult to drop the banana during a CG, like ADHD did vs Vinnie at APEX ?

Player-1

Smash Legend
it's random, but I believe it's possible for ICs can regrab before the item has the chance of dropping if done right

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I'm trying to find a character who is easy to do well with, is Diddy easy to pick up?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Not particularly, since there are a number of ATs that require a decent amount of practice. For easy-to-do-well-with characters you can't go wrong with Meta Knight, though if you are willing to put in a bit of training then Diddy will serve you well! Check out the Kongpendium, it goes over all of Diddy's ATs and other useful information to help you get started :D

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Figured I'd ask this here as well as on the MK boards

I'm looking to get some tips when playing on an MK/Diddy team, both for me (the MK) and the Diddy.

I know the best team for these characters is hands down Nairo + ADHD, and I've seen plenty of matches of theirs already. What I'm really looking for is to see if there are any quirks in this team I should look out for before I start rewatching all of their sets. I took 4th with a Diddy player (Sombra) at a recent tournament when we teamed randomly, now we're teaming again at Shuffle V and I want us to do really well.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well since the Diddy is typically the stock tank, you as the MK want to be the aggressor and keep the damage off of Diddy by keeping the opponents focused on you rather than him. Diddy is just going to get some good pokes in will be able to either minimize the damage you take when you're 2v1ing them and/or get punishes off of the laggy punishes they get off of you with his good horizontal burst range (glidetoss banana throws). Tornado is really good since diddy can cover you pretty well, but the Diddy needs to know when you have the nado or when he should cover you with a banana (communicate with him to let him know, ex: your nadoing someone's shield, do you think you will shield poke him? If no tell the diddy to cover you). Generally when you land with the nado you either want to go to the other side to avoid getting hit by a banana or you want to get hit by it before you hit the ground so you don't go into your slip animation. If Diddy doesn't have a banana in his hand then Dash attack can be good too. Also, if you're being pressured in your shield by an opponent you normally want to roll to the side Diddy isn't on so he can get the banana throw in and help you instead of accidentally hitting you with the banana when trying to help you. You want to help Diddy when he is recovering, but if he's confident that he can make it then he should let you know if he has the recovery or not, but (ESPECIALLY at higher percents) you definitely want to help him get off the edge if an opponent is pressuring him there. You want to make Diddy as hard to kill as possible. If you can't get to him, or you're in a really good position against the other opponent, then Diddy should probably just plank the edge until the opponent says it's not worth it and goes after you, then Diddy can get off the edge for free.

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Why do people u-throw a banana when they are recovering under the ledge as Diddy? I understand that their trying to cover their recovery but can't the opponent just insta-throw the banana down to knock Diddy out of his up-b and pretty much guarantee the kill? Almost every time that I see a Diddy recovering in this manner (because otherwise they'd just up-b without needing to throw the banana) the opponent is already holding the ledge (in the perfect position to insta-throw the banana down and possibly with invincibility frames). Is it just easier/better for certain characters to use alternative options like MK's ledge-drop nair?

Player-1

Smash Legend
A few reasons, yes instant throwing it back down on top of diddy's up-b is a viable option that people simply don't do hence it's safe. I've never played anyone that has done it to me, but I've done it when playing against other diddys. Also, throwing the banana also takes more time than most people think, especially with the big edge snaps in brawl. This means after throwing the banana up we can up-b and grab the edge before the banana can hit us anyway. Another reason is because we can actually just dodge the banana by moving horizontally, we throw the banana up, move to the left or right to avoid that instant throw and up-b, it's easy to do on BF and SV where we can simply ride the stage's slope up.

JB IV

Smash Cadet
No one has ever tried it against me and I've only tried it a couple of times. I forgot about the slopes on BF and SV so those are probably safe. Instant z-dropping may be situational since you remain invincible. Maybe if they buffer up-b after u-throwing the banana you wouldn't be able to throw it in time, but instant throwing should be quick enough in most cases. If they have to move to dodge the banana you get more time to grab the ledge anyway. I wish more players had good item control to be able to incorporate this into their matches. I've only seen it used a couple times.

Player-1

Smash Legend
no it won't happen most of the time, but it will happen at most distances. Competent diddys will get close enough to the stage so it doesn't work, at the ends sure it will work, but unless diddy is forced to be in that position he won't be there

JB IV

Smash Cadet
yes instant throwing it back down on top of diddy's up-b is a viable option that people simply don't do hence it's safe.
Just because it isn't commonly used doesn't make it safe. It should actually make it even less safe since you wouldn't expect it.
no it won't happen most of the time, but it will happen at most distances. Competent diddys will get close enough to the stage so it doesn't work, at the ends sure it will work, but unless diddy is forced to be in that position he won't be there
I've done it when playing against other diddys.
I know we can't all be as good at Diddy as you, but you must play some pretty incompetent Diddys.
throwing the banana also takes more time than most people think
So if Diddy is far away enough then instant throwing the banana down is viable, if Diddy's close, characters like MK can ledge-drop/fast-fall n-air to catch the banana and hit Diddy, or if Diddy's mid-distance you can Instant z-drop the banana to get its hitbox out quickly or instant throw it down?

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
the first 2 yes, but the last one no because when you z drop a banana it doesnt fall as fast as a throw so diddy can usually grab the edge before the banana hits him

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Then Ideal-distance rising u-throw>up-b is only punishable by read since you can fast fall while/before they throw the banana>instant z-drop?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
How do you fight Kirby? He's always in the air so I can't really trip him and if I throw it up then he'll z-catch it.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Camp him, it's hard for Kirby to approach Diddy, glidetoss down and back a lot when he's in the air. You can throw them up at him too and then chase after him with fair/uair because he either caught it with an air dodge/attack and you can punish the cool down on it, or he caught it with z catch and he doesn't have access to his aerial options anymore. Dtilt a lot on the ground, he doesn't have very good answers for it.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Can anyone offer advice on Dribbling? I'm haveing trouble picking up the banana after 1 glide toss thrown downward. Is there a special button layout I could use? It's hard to switch from C-stick back to A, or maybe I'm not practiced enough.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Make sure you're inputting A before you're done sliding or you'll slide too far and won't be able to pick it up. Most people use C stick and A so I'm not really sure what button layout would help you. I'd recommend just practicing more.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Make sure you're inputting A before you're done sliding or you'll slide too far and won't be able to pick it up. Most people use C stick and A so I'm not really sure what button layout would help you. I'd recommend just practicing more.
I keep faceing forward when I try to dribble backwards, this is my main problem. Both from the left to the right and vise versa, any way to avoid this?

Player-1

Smash Legend
I keep faceing forward when I try to dribble backwards, this is my main problem. Both from the left to the right and vise versa, any way to avoid this?
I'm sort of confused on what you mean by dribbling backwards. If it's what I think it means then you just need to hold/tilt the control stick backwards too and you should be fine.

Top Bottom