• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
We're all going insane over when the new date of the direct will be. I do hope one of the new characters is Lloyd since the original date of the direct was one week after Tales of Symphonia's 15th Anniversary plus the whole TGS thing.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So, completely random thing...I was stocking some vitamins at work today (I work at a drugstore), and I just got to thinking about how there are so many kinds of vitamins and medicine in gummy form now, and how Symphonia sort of predicted that, what with the gels and all. Every time I see gummy medicine, I always think of the Tales series and how unique that concept was. Symphonia was my first Tales game, and my first real RPG that wasn't Earthbound or Mario--so it made a pretty big impression on me. It's surprising how much it still pops up in my mind, over a decade later.

Makes me really want Lloyd in, to represent that slice of my past. Honestly, I want Lloyd for many of the same reasons I want Geno, considering that. I don't know about base game, but I sincerely hope he manages to get in as DLC, at least. He's an important character to Tales, and to me.

Here's hoping!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hopefully we get surprised today! regardless of who gets in. Lloyd will have a chance even after base roster.

Edit: Isabelle got announced. This is good news, more ATs and mii costumes are being made playable, Lloyd's chances are just higher if anything after this. Let's hope for better luck next time!

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Isabelle getting in does make me pretty hopeful Lloyd will make it in. Although I am a but nervous that given there's only what. 2 1/2 months left? I only really see one more direct happening before smash is announced and there's still so many options that could be taken. Hehichi and yuri are the biggest threats imo. I'm just hoping a direct in the future is talking about vesperia hd coming out and it segways into Lloyd in smash somehow haha

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Isabelle getting in does make me pretty hopeful Lloyd will make it in. Although I am a but nervous that given there's only what. 2 1/2 months left? I only really see one more direct happening before smash is announced and there's still so many options that could be taken. Hehichi and yuri are the biggest threats imo. I'm just hoping a direct in the future is talking about vesperia hd coming out and it segways into Lloyd in smash somehow haha
Well last year we had two focused directs, one in october and one in november… reveals in both months could easily happen. Hell, if no other game is gonna take a focused direct spot in october, i could see both months being or smash at this point. We just got a regular direct giving us the fall announcements and whatnot, just like last year. There is no need for a regular direct anymore, just focus on marketing the main game for this year which just happens to be Smash. I don't want to get hopes up but i'm just stating the facts that easily can make both months having info on smash actually happen…

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Well last year we had two focused directs, one in october and one in november… reveals in both months could easily happen. Hell, if no other game is gonna take a focused direct spot in october, i could see both months being or smash at this point. We just got a regular direct giving us the fall announcements and whatnot, just like last year. There is no need for a regular direct anymore, just focus on marketing the main game for this year which just happens to be Smash. I don't want to get hopes up but i'm just stating the facts that easily can make both months having info on smash actually happen…

How do you feel about the collectors Packaging having only two squares next to K.Rool? One being isabelle Im sure and the other....well I just feel like if it does come down to this is the last addition then his odds of getting in are pretty darn low.

However, I personally wont take this packaging as gospel, plenty of smash games came out with not all the characters on the cover. My hopes and dreams are defs way high after seeing isabelle (another mii costume) make it in. I just feel like my hearts gonna break if he becomes an AT

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
How do you feel about the collectors Packaging having only two squares next to K.Rool? One being isabelle Im sure and the other....well I just feel like if it does come down to this is the last addition then his odds of getting in are pretty darn low.

However, I personally wont take this packaging as gospel, plenty of smash games came out with not all the characters on the cover. My hopes and dreams are defs way high after seeing isabelle (another mii costume) make it in. I just feel like my hearts gonna break if he becomes an AT
I just made my point in the latest 2 pages of the general discussion thread for ultimate. I pretty much don't think it means anything. That side of the box can resize the visual content to fit however many characters are left. If we believe Verge is right (as he has been so far), it doesnt make sense to have only that few characters left to be revealed, it just doesn't fit, and if it did, Ken and Incineroar are super low hype material to do the final push of marketng of the game before release. Don't worry, we are definitely getting more than 2 characters, lol. People just love to put their hopes down from ANYTHING these days, yes, even stupid placeholder images like this. If I had to do that for my beloved final fantasy vii remake and its ugly placeholder boxart, i would've killed myself already, lol. People have to solve their little issue of lossing hope for such silly things.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I just made my point in the latest 2 pages of the general discussion thread for ultimate. I pretty much don't think it means anything. That side of the box can resize the visual content to fit however many characters are left. If we believe Verge is right (as he has been so far), it doesnt make sense to have only that few characters left to be revealed, it just doesn't fit, and if it did, Ken and Incineroar are super low hype material to do the final push of marketng of the game before release. Don't worry, we are definitely getting more than 2 characters, lol. People just love to put their hopes down from ANYTHING these days, yes, even stupid placeholder images like this. If I had to do that for my beloved final fantasy vii remake and its ugly placeholder boxart, i would've killed myself already, lol. People have to solve their little issue of lossing hope for such silly things.

I like your thought process. I've been on the biggest high looking up and reading every single post and statements made that could lean into Lloyds favor. I just really got burned hard when I saw bomberman as an Assist trophy because I was a huge bomberman supporter, he was right under Lloyd. So yeah i'm just going to hope Verge is correct because from one post I read on here, Lloyd was mentioned by name as a fighter so I'm holding to that

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I like your thought process. I've been on the biggest high looking up and reading every single post and statements made that could lean into Lloyds favor. I just really got burned hard when I saw bomberman as an Assist trophy because I was a huge bomberman supporter, he was right under Lloyd. So yeah i'm just going to hope Verge is correct because from one post I read on here, Lloyd was mentioned by name as a fighter so I'm holding to that
I like to say this over and over again to cheer people up: If your character had a mii costume or AT treatment before and hasn't been shown and debunked yet, then there's no reason to lose or lower your hopes yet. So far, most of the reveals have been some mii costumes and AT being made playable. Characters' chances % hasn't dropped at any moment. :ness:

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I was actually thinking about trying to throw together a video showcasing all the stuff everyone has compiled. Talk about thinks sakurai has said, make a mock up move list kind like how this one youtuber Zeltik did with Skull Kid I just want to generate some sort of hype and maybe direct it towards bandai namco on twitter. They've been SUPER open with their fans when it comes to Jump force and Dragonball FighterZ so getting some kind of response from them would be amazing.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Hehichi and yuri are the biggest threats imo.
Heihachi is a threat, but I doubt that Yuri is. We have far, far too much evidence that Lloyd is the definitive Tales pick to worry about Yuri - from Sakurai and the Tales director working on Smash Ultimate to the Mii costume, everyone and everything official is pushing for Lloyd.

There is exactly zero chance that there is only one newcomer left. It'd have to be a Pokemon, and that simply wouldn't be enough to make for a powerful final Direct.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Heihachi is a threat, but I doubt that Yuri is. We have far, far too much evidence that Lloyd is the definitive Tales pick to worry about Yuri - from Sakurai and the Tales director working on Smash Ultimate to the Mii costume, everyone and everything official is pushing for Lloyd.

There is exactly zero chance that there is only one newcomer left. It'd have to be a Pokemon, and that simply wouldn't be enough to make for a powerful final Direct.

Yeah totally agree with what all you said. My wish is in some later direct maybe in nov They talk about the vesperia release date again just to remind people and that leads into a lloyd trailer haha

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
ToS is my favorite game, too bad Regal will never be a fighter though. -.-

If Lloyd gets in he must yell out all of his specials as he does them, or it won't feel like Lloyd tbh.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
ToS is my favorite game, too bad Regal will never be a fighter though. -.-

If Lloyd gets in he must yell out all of his specials as he does them, or it won't feel like Lloyd tbh.

I never really put much thought into him yelling his moves out haha. I feel like personally I'd love it but also wouldn't be upset if it wasn't like that. I can see both working out well be it yelling the name of the moves or just grunting as he does an attack. Or hey, maybe a nice middle ground where sometimes he'll yell the move, other times it'll just be a grunt

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Oh my god Lloyd’s chances just increased dramatically based off This

Supposedly it's 108 stages now

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It was stupid as it is that they would leave such a huge empty gap in the stage selection screen anyway, of course we are getting more bloody stages lol, who ever doubted it is high as hell, lol

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
It was stupid as it is that they would leave such a huge empty gap in the stage selection screen anyway, of course we are getting more bloody stages lol, who ever doubted it is high as hell, lol

I think people who doubted it probably said to themselves "Oh those spots are just dlc stage spots" or something of that nature

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I would think that once i know base roster, not before that lol.
Totally, I never could bring myself to just take that stage number as solid confirmed end total. Some people are now speculating this info is wrong or it's a typo in some way but I'm just going to keep my hopes up and see how things unfold

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I definitely think this was an accidental leak. Corocoro does that a lot. No way a professional printer would mistake a 3 for an 8.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Is this the Lloyd Irving Thread? Hell yeah, sign me up my brothers and sisters!!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Clearly they'd segway via a Symphonia Chronicles port announcement.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Clearly they'd segway via a Symphonia Chronicles port announcement.
I highly doubt they’d announce a symphonia port this quickly after vesperia. So unless you’re suggesting Lloyd is DLC I don’t think that’ll fly. There’s even an article saying the develpers are looking to fans reactions and demands on whether they’ll make more remasteres

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I highly doubt they’d announce a symphonia port this quickly after vesperia. So unless you’re suggesting Lloyd is DLC I don’t think that’ll fly. There’s even an article saying the develpers are looking to fans reactions and demands on whether they’ll make more remasteres
We got like 4 main Final Fantasy games ports announced in the last direct so ... why not ? Idk :drshrug:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
We got like 4 main Final Fantasy games ports announced in the last direct so ... why not ? Idk :drshrug:
Those ports have been around since way back when the newest being 12 and 9 but even then, if that were the case they would’ve announce tales of abyss, vesperia, symphonina and more to what you’re suggesting. They already got numbers and sales for those FF games relaunching on steam and consoles so they’ve got something to go off. Vesperia being announced wasn’t even a for sure thing the devs said they were relieved to hear the cheers when it was announced.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Those ports have been around since way back when the newest being 12 and 9 but even then, if that were the case they would’ve announce tales of abyss, vesperia, symphonina and more to what you’re suggesting. They already got numbers and sales for those FF games relaunching on steam and consoles so they’ve got something to go off. Vesperia being announced wasn’t even a for sure thing the devs said they were relieved to hear the cheers when it was announced.
Well all these FF games were already remastered and ready to port. Synphonia fit in this category as well but Abyss would need to go through the HD treatment first just like Vesperia. Atm it's impossible for them to do a HD group release, unless symphonia tags along vesperia it would have to come little by little.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Well all these FF games were already remastered and ready to port. Synphonia fit in this category as well but Abyss would need to go through the HD treatment first just like Vesperia. Atm it's impossible for them to do a HD group release, unless symphonia tags along vesperia it would have to come little by little.
I can maybe see symphonia a little sooner since it came to ps3 and steam but from my experience and overall knowledge on those ports it was horrible hahah. So that’d also be another bridge they’d have to cross

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Some months ago, I thought Lloyd was really unlikely because one thing Sakurai said about sword characters in an interview (wich I can't find anymore) about the inclusion of Robin instead of Chrom or about Shulk (can't remember well). He says that he always favor character with an interesting characteristic, rather than a character who doesn't stand out outside of his swordplay.
Except the combo mechanics wich was already taken by Bayonetta (and create a lot of balance issues), I couldn't find anything to justify an interessting moveset for Lloyd, outside the fact that his original moveset translate well in a smash game.

When I told that to my best friend, a casual smash and Tales of player, he told me :
-What about that mechanics in ToS which changes your skills depending on what you use in combat ?
- ... Wut ?
- Yeah, you know... the arrow meter with the "S" and "T" which defines the skills you learn...

I was ashamed that I never thought about it, since I'm a huge fan of ToS. It's actualy a neat idea which reflect the ToS mechanics. It would make Lloyd the first character with two set of skills (maybe only the specials) depending on how you play. I could definitely see that mechanic in Smash. It's less complicated than Robin or Shulk imo.

What do you think ?

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I think most people are bored of fire emblem characters more than swordsmen in general. Just like Isaac has psynergy going for him Lloyd has the arts, that alone makes him special. He's also a dual blades wielder.

Top Bottom