• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
It's been hard this week to stay optimistic. With this ken leak coming out and all the craze of inceneroar and steve from minecraft. Not one mention in any leaks reccently of Lloyd or a bandi rep at all @_@

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd bros! We are gonna skin that Incineroar alive! Sword bros need to stick together! You have my vote folks! Banjo was a tough nut to crack, let's hope us Isaac fans can stick it to Bear - Bird. *sweats*
4ISSYMq.png

The "Tales" series could totally use some love in Smash. I'm a Lloyd Irving supporter!
Added!

It's been hard this week to stay optimistic. With this ken leak coming out and all the craze of inceneroar and steve from minecraft. Not one mention in any leaks reccently of Lloyd or a bandi rep at all @_@
Losing faith for the same reason.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
First botting against Isaac and now against Lloyd? Wow … and people ask me why i don't like bwd fans lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I don't think it's fair to judge an entire fandom by the actions of one troublemaker.
It isn't, I know. It just kinda sucks that there has to be some people in their fandom ruining their reputation, but i guess that's just every fandom out there anyway…

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So I finally bought a copy of Tales of Symphonia. I only just started, but I can already tell that I am going to love it. I’m just dropping in to say that I certainly support Lloyd’s inclusion for Smash. I always felt that he was a rather underrated character by the community, but I genuinely feel that if Bandai Namco gets a new character, which is a strong possibility, this boy is probably the front runner. And if not, I can definitely see him being a high prospect for DLC. I plan on visiting this thread more once I play through the full game, but I just wanted to throw my support out there first!

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
So I finally bought a copy of Tales of Symphonia. I only just started, but I can already tell that I am going to love it. I’m just dropping in to say that I certainly support Lloyd’s inclusion for Smash. I always felt that he was a rather underrated character by the community, but I genuinely feel that if Bandai Namco gets a new character, which is a strong possibility, this boy is probably the front runner. And if not, I can definitely see him being a high prospect for DLC. I plan on visiting this thread more once I play through the full game, but I just wanted to throw my support out there first!
You're in for quite a ride. Added!

LLOYD BEAT BANDANA DEE BY SEVEN VOTES! He's up against Crash now - you can vote here.

Last edited:

Angelo333

Smash Rookie
/Hey everyone, I really support what you're all doing here and I'm happy that there are more.people out there like me who support Lloyd and in honor of that, I want present a moveset that I've been working on and editing for over a year now. I hope it's good for discussion, sense this is the only reason why I decided to create an account for./

{(A) button}

Neutral (A) combo: Downward Slash that follows up with an upward slash and a spin attack to finish in that order. Press down to stab mid-combo or up to cancel with a rising slash; tap (A) to continue with Sword Rain after the combo.

Forward tilt: Horizontal slash, quickly followby a vertical slash from his other blade, before spinning forward on his front leg and following through with a twin slash. Must input (A) again to execute his twin slash.
((From Tales of the Heroes Twin Brave.))

Down tilt: Sword sweep

Up tilt: Dual cross-stab [upward]
((As he does upon recieving the material blades in ToS.))

Dash attack: Sonic Thrust/Super Sonic Thrust (animation). Must press (A) to execute Super Sonic Thrust.

Wake up attack: Crazily swings side-to-side ((From his victory animation in ToS.))

Stage get-up attack: Draw slash ((When he readies for battle during walkthrough cutscenes in ToS.))

////////////////
{(A) Air attacks}
////////////////

Neutral Air: Tempest (animation.)

Back Air: Backwards Slash (("Raging Beast arte" semi-spin animation from ToS.))

Down Air: Rising Falcon (Animation from ToS)

Forward Air: Forward Slash ((Nuetral aerial attack animation from ToS.))

Up Air: Rising slash ((Upward aerial attack animation from ToS.))

//////////////////
{Smash Attacks}
/////////////////

Forward Smash: Spread slash
((From Unison attack initiation during battles in ToS.))

Up Smash: Tornado Swell
((Cloned after Cervantes de León of Soul Calibur series, specifically: Soul Calibur Legends.))

Down Smash: Two downward slashes ((From another victory animation in ToS.))
---------------------------------------------------
///////////
{Specials}
//////////

Neutral (B): Demon Fang/Double Demon Fang

Forward (B): Blazing Tempest/Psi Tempest

Up (B): Tiger Blade/Heavy Tiger Blade

Down (B): Sorceror's Ring

Guard + (B): Guardian

Final Smash: Falcon's Crest

/////////////////
{(B) Air attacks}
////////////////

Neutral (B) Air: Demon Fang/Double Demon Fang

Forward (B) Air: Blazing Tempest/Psi Tempest

Up (B) Air: Tiger Blade/Heavy Tiger Blade

Down (B) Air: Sorceror's Ring

Guard + (B): Guardian

//////////////////////////////
Color palettes and costumes
/////////////////////////////

[Regular red gear.]
[Regular gear in blue.] (From Tales of Vs.)
[Regular gear in white.] (Tales of Vs.)
[Regular gear in black.] (Tales of Vs.)

[Nobleman outfit] ( "Nobleman" title from ToS.)

[Pirate outfit] ( "Arrgh, Me Hearties" title from Tos.)

[Beach gear] ( "Beach boy" title from Tos.)

[Samurai outfit] ( "Unrivaled Blade" title from Tos.)

/////////////////////
{Lloyd goes all out!}
////////////////////

Lloyd possesses mobility comparable to that of Lucario's but his striking speed is considerably slower. Heavy like Roy, what Lloyd lacks in striking speed he makes up for with strength and very easy followups in the form of Artes, which he executes instantly when tapping (B).

Artes are a series of techniques scattered throughout the Tales of series as the primary set of abilities used for combat, and are translated by Lloyd as his Specials in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Yes, each Arte also holds an alternate version of itself which has evolved from the former, otherwise recognized as: LV.2 Artes. Although altered Artes may dish out stronger injury, they are respectively slower upon execution than regular Artes for having to press (B), as opposed to tapping.

Artes will automatically alter after initially having tapped any (B) input. But you must remember that no two Artes of the same input can link.

Uniquely enough, every variation of (A) can link with Artes in the order of (A)->(B) but, obviously excluding Smash Attacks. Additionally, Lloyd can equally follow up an Arte with another for a combo, in which case the latter Arte suffers damage reduction of about 1/3. But those numbers change into 2/3 if (A) was previously included.

Interestingly, (A) and (B) can link in any order during mid-air action. Lloyd is also able to cancel out of Artes per amount of linkable Artes. For example:

However, this will not function if the executed Arte starts off the ground and ends in mid-air. In such cases, it will take a moment before Lloyd can make a move, similarly like Charizard's Flare Blitz or Pit's forward special. And sadly for Lloyd, he will free fall after performing two Artes in mid-air.

{Specials}

[Demon Fang]

Demon Fang is a shockwave that travels along the ground and air alike. By pressing (B), Lloyd will perform Double Demon Fang, a variation of Demon Fang that quickly follows up with a second shockwave.

[Tiger Blade]

Tiger Blade are a couple of slashes that drag the target up and down. It also serves as his main recovery. By pressing Up-(B), Tiger Blade will change into a stronger version of itself: Heavy Tiger Blade.

[Blazing Tempest]

Blazing Tempest is a spiral fury of flaming slashes that take Lloyd forward into the air from the ground or the air itself. If sweet spotted, Blazing Tempest will stun the enemy in place upon contact as Lloyd travels across a semi-circle trajectory, which can be slightly manipulated with the Joystick. By pressing Forward-(B), Blazing Tempest will change into Psi Tempest: a flameless version of Tempest that takes Lloyd flying diagonally into the air.

[Sorceror's Ring]

The Sorceror's Ring shoots out a sacred flame that disables opponents upon contact, much like Mewtwo's Disable attack. The Sorceror's Ring does not qualify as an Arte, however.

[Guardian]

Guardian is a defensive force field that will surround Lloyd and protect him against any attack. But unlike in the Tales of series, Guardian can reflect enemy projectiles. Additionally, Guardian will dissipate throughout the course of 2 seconds, leaving him exposed.

[Falcon's Crest]

A magic circle will expand outward to surround Lloyd in an uprising of energy called upon by the Eternal Sword in hand, before rising up high and slamming the magic sword into the circle, causing a massive explosion. Those within range will suffer the consequences.

{Smash Attacks: Detail}

(Up)

[Tornado Swell]: Lloyd spins upwards in place as he slices the air.

(Forward)

[Spread Slash]: Lloyd will spread his twin blades in front of himself as he slightly inches forward, slashing across his enemies.

(Down)

[Two downward slashes]: Lloyd brings down one blade after the other on each side respectively.

[Overlimit]

The Overlimit will grant Super Armor to all of Lloyd's Artes for a short period. But unlike Cloud, Lloyd cannot charge the Overlimit. Rather, it activates automatically after receiving a certain amount of hits, but it will reset if KO'd. The meter will also diminish slowly for every second that he spends without being hit after he recovers from an attack. Additionally, a rainbow-like aura will surround Lloyd when the Overlimit activates.

[Others]

Tempest is a spiral slash that will slide down the air while holding (A) and will also speed up as fast as he falls.

Rising Falcon descends into the battlefield like an arrow at an acute angle. It will have Lloyd slide forward upon landing, ending with a scattered slash, similar to his forward smash animation.

Sword Rain is a fury of rapid pokes that end with a thrust. Sword Rain can be linked into Artes by simply pressing their directional input.

Sonic Thrust (Dash Attack) can change into Super Sonic Thrust by pressing (A), reducing attack speed but increasing power twofold.

[Representation]

The overlimit, aside from its rainbow aura, forces enemies to withhold combos and rather attack with short and strong followups, similarly like how CPU's in Tales of Symphonia seem to apparent, for if Lloyd were to suffer a certain amount of hits (regardless of damage), his overlimit would activate and effectively enable him to intercept with his Super-armored Artes. So, it is advice to take it easy on combos when facing against Lloyd.

Being able to use Demon Fang in midair represents Tales of the Tempest for Nintendo DS being the first Tales of game in which one could perform Demon Fang while airborne; Tales of Innocence for the DS being second and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World for the Wii ranking third.

Although Tiger Blade serves as his recovery, it also represents how the first dual-swordsman, Leon Magnus from Tales of Destiny, was the first and possibly only one to perform Tiger Blade in mid-air.

Both Tempest and Flaming Tempest, as well as Psi Tempest, are aerial Artes useful to Lloyd in the Tales of Symphonia games and others.

Basic Artes and alternate Artes represent the ideal amount of Artes linkable throughout the Tales of series, more specifically: Tales of the Abyss for both Nintendo 3DS and the PS2. Additionally, Lloyd's inability to link Artes of the same input reflects how, in Tales of Symphonia, Level 1 Artes cannot be linked with Level 2 Artes of the same kind. For example: Demon Fang and Double Demon Fang.

The way damage is reduced with ecxessive combos suggests that Artes hold more overall power by themselves this time around, in turn showing within the realm of Smash the tendency of CPU's to depend on Artes as they apparent in Tales of Symphonia.

The way Lloyd can link Specials like Tiger Blade and Flaming Tempest out of Sword Rain displays the impression that he is using LV. 3 Artes such as Raining Tiger Blade and Sword Rain Tempest. It also showcases how the EX-Skill "Ability Plus" allows him to link two base Artes. Essentially, for example: Sword Rain and Demon Fang. Such a feat can also be appreciated through his dash attack "Sonic Thrust" as well when linked with an Arte.

Furthermore, displaying the impression that Lloyd is expressing either Raining Tiger Blade or Sword Rain Tempest through Sword Rain and Tiger Blade/Tempest into the battlefield before unleashing an alternate Arte, reflects the effects of EX-SKILL "Super Chain" from Zelos Wilder and Kratos Aurion, in which Artes of any level can combine without order. This may also apply to the neutrality of Super Sonic Thrust and Rising Falcon, as they happen to be LV.2 and LV.3 Artes of Lloyd respectively within Tales of Symphonia. Additionally, the unorderedly and extended fashion of midair combinations showcases an unnatural unification between EX-SKILL "Air Combo" and "Super Chain".

The in-game titles are represented in Smash through four of his costumes, and even Tales of Vs. earned representation with the addition of his three color palettes composed of Blue, White and Black.

Lloyd's down Special ---The Sorceror's Ring--- represents the essence of dungeons and their staple within the Tales of series.

All-in-all, Lloyd's fighting mechanics highlight many aspects of titles spread across the Tales of Series, and it also reflects Lloyd's wild, rash and unpredictable behavior in a pinch. Smash is no joke!

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Really cant stress enough how PERFECT this song would be if Lloyd makes it in the game. My hype levels are off the chart right now knowing he beat BWD aswell hahaha. That'd a big win !Here's the Song

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’m pulling for him and Heihachi Mishima and they’re both on my wishlist, hopefully both do make it in.

D

Deleted member

And it's kind of saddening (but not too surprising) that Sakurai himself said to expect the newcomer reveals to slow down. I feel like this doesn't bode well for Lloyd and I'm kinda nervous.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
And it's kind of saddening (but not too surprising) that Sakurai himself said to expect the newcomer reveals to slow down. I feel like this doesn't bode well for Lloyd and I'm kinda nervous.
There is always chance for DLC. I highly doubt by the end of Ultimates DLC + Base Game roster that Namco will only have Pac-Man even though they are helping with the game while all other returning third parties have at least 2.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Read the actual translation, and you'll see that there's some nuance to be considered:

… However, it’d be incorrect to say that we’re going to keep releasing information on new fighters until the game’s release. Up until now we’ve been revealing characters one after another a bit too quickly, so we’re going to show some restraint from this point on!
[Source.]

That sounds less like we don't have many newcomers left, and more like they won't be announcing a whole bunch at once anymore. Less August Direct, more Isabelle Direct. Doesn't say anything about Lloyd's chances, IMO.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Was reading through the ol' bear and bird thread and this post got me thinking :

Honestly I would not be shocked if there was no new Pokémon. Everyone is assuming Incineroar because of the combination of always getting a new Pokémon rep, Nintenjex’s prediction, and Verge’s “leak.” But I’m just not feeling it. Based off of Sakurai’s own Famitsu interviews, and Nintendo’s own quotes during the ballot period; much of the ballot’s purpose was for this game over DLC, and so far everyone, including Isabelle, has been a pick based on popularity with a costume reveal during the DLC period.

I don’t see them suddenly stop that train to fit what we see as a common expectation.
If thing are as Jack suggests, Lloyd might actually be more likely than another pokemon but what if they took a leaf out of Dawn and made him a trainer? I know you all hated that game but the Tales community also loved the Eggbear segment of Eternia. This would be a way to not only play as him again but also two more classic Tales monsters. And it would be a very left-field reveal.

Would you all be ok with something like that and, whether you are or not, what monsters would you like to control?

Just curious, really.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
If Lloyd loses to skull kid I'd be pretty happy with how far he got but I'm casting my vote and pulling together all my friends who want him in to vote on this one for sure

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Was reading through the ol' bear and bird thread and this post got me thinking :

If thing are as Jack suggests, Lloyd might actually be more likely than another pokemon but what if they took a leaf out of Dawn and made him a trainer? I know you all hated that game but the Tales community also loved the Eggbear segment of Eternia. This would be a way to not only play as him again but also two more classic Tales monsters. And it would be a very left-field reveal.

Would you all be ok with something like that and, whether you are or not, what monsters would you like to control?

Just curious, really.
I would not be. That's quite literally the worst possible way I could see him being implemented.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Just hopping in to express my support for Lloyd. It's really fun to see the camaraderie in the Smash poll thread between us Isaacbros and Lloydbros. There really should be a swordboy alliance.

Throw me down on the supporters list, I think he'd make an awesome addition to Ultimate!

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Just hopping in to express my support for Lloyd. It's really fun to see the camaraderie in the Smash poll thread between us Isaacbros and Lloydbros. There really should be a swordboy alliance.

Throw me down on the supporters list, I think he'd make an awesome addition to Ultimate!
Added! Agreed regarding the camaraderie - I love seeing the alliance posts.

For those that don't check reddit, there's a lot of this sort of stuff between Lloyd and Isaac fans:

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

For those that don't check reddit there's a lot of this sort of stuff between Lloyd and Isaac fans:

Isaacbros and Lloydbros are the equivalent to skullkidbros and genobros. It's lovely to see.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord

For those that don't check reddit there's a lot of this sort of stuff between Lloyd and Isaac fans:

Omg lol I was the first comment in that post lol. Isaac and Lloyd are both in my top 3 for newcomers, so this alliance is just perfect for me.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Lloyd won against Skull kid!? holy hell, as a supporter of both, I am surprised. I thought it was gonna go the other way around haha, I'm proud of you guys!

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
Lloyd won against Skull kid!? holy hell, as a supporter of both, I am surprised. I thought it was gonna go the other way around haha, I'm proud of you guys!
Kratos must be proud too. Lloyd gave them no quarter.

Last edited:

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd has honestly had an insane run. I would never have expected him to do this well.

We're up against Isaac now. I'd honestly be completely content losing this one - Lloyd has done well enough to make his fans proud, and if there's anyone I wouldn't mind him losing to, it's Isaac. Whatever the outcome, always remember:

4ISSYMq.png

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Lloyd has done so amazing in that bracket. So much better than I thought. Shantae, BWD, Crash, Incineroar, Paper Mario, and Skull Kid are the ones he beat. I would love if he beat Isaac as well, but I am literally 100% fine if Isaac beats Lloyd because of the best friend relationship between Lloydbros and Isaacbros. Still proud of Lloyd soooo much. Let’s hope this tournament was in some way similar to the ballot results as in Lloyd getting a lot

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Well it was quite the ride, top 4 on the smash reddit bracket for my boy. I'll take that.

Also, given this new update on rumors of characters being revealed this month. I feel like if Lloyd isn't announced here, he isn't in the base game. So wishes will then go to DLC at that point. I dont see him being held off tilt november as the final announcment

Last edited:

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Coming from the Isaac thread, just wanna thanks all the Lloyd bro who push for Isaac on the reddit poll.

Lloyd is my second most wanted character and I'm fully expecting him to make it into Ultimate at some point since Bandai Namco is developping the game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Haven't even followed how Lloyd did in the poll, but I'm amazed just how well he's been doing over time! I think he's slightly veering on Geno-levels of "Sounded crazy before, but devs and fans are 100% behind him."-possibilities.

I really hope he's going to be revealed, hopefully with Isaac coming along too.

Top Bottom