• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So even though the Jedi Council thread is gone, does that mean we can't discuss adding another member or three to the Debater circle? Not that there's a closed forum for us, but maybe giving a postbit to indicate that they've "earned their wings", so to speak?

If we can still add "members" to the Debater group, I vouch for Sehnsucht.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So even though the Jedi Council thread is gone, does that mean we can't discuss adding another member or three to the Debater circle? Not that there's a closed forum for us, but maybe giving a postbit to indicate that they've "earned their wings", so to speak?

If we can still add "members" to the Debater group, I vouch for Sehnsucht.
@Xiivi can please correct me if I'm wrong but in essence there are no user groups so there are no ways to separate DH from non DH. The only idea that came to mind was badges but I'm afraid I don't know much about it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@Xiivi can please correct me if I'm wrong but in essence there are no user groups so there are no ways to separate DH from non DH. The only idea that came to mind was badges but I'm afraid I don't know much about it.
Do you guys at least hand out pins and glowsticks?
Couldn't the scales postbit suffice? That's pretty much what I had in mind.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Do you guys at least hand out pins and glowsticks?
Nah man, we rode harleys and drank beer

Couldn't the scales postbit suffice? That's pretty much what I had in mind.
Uh, well that's just a graphic and using it isn't the challenge. Applying it, that's the trick. But I thought DGs had postbits and if so maybe we could have a similar award system with the scale graphic representing top achievement or whatever...

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Am I actually worthy of a scales postbit?

I can kind of engage in topics of philosophy, theology, and ethics. But I haven't dipped my toes in topics that require sources and data (politics, law, and other facts-based debates). And I haven't even made my own thread, or presented a case for review.

If writing to a pedantic degree is what gets you scales, then I won't stop the Powers That Be from plastering one on my user box. I just don't think my contributions to the DH have yet to be fully rounded.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ah the irony. Way back when there was a rigorous screening process but the NWO stepped in and opened it up... Now tho it's so wide there's nothing to do but play along

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I can kind of engage in topics of philosophy, theology, and ethics. But I haven't dipped my toes in topics that require sources and data (politics, law, and other facts-based debates). And I haven't even made my own thread, or presented a case for review.
The types of topics you find comfort in is irrelevant, as everyone has a forte in one topic type or another. It's the quality of your arguments that truly count, and given what I've read from you, I'd say you'd fit right in. I myself only debate in topics if I know I can contribute, and also find topics of ethics and philosophy to be something I enjoy more than other topics.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The types of topics you find comfort in is irrelevant, as everyone has a forte in one topic type or another. It's the quality of your arguments that truly count, and given what I've read from you, I'd say you'd fit right in. I myself only debate in topics if I know I can contribute, and also find topics of ethics and philosophy to be something I enjoy more than other topics.
I know well it's about content and acumen.

It's just a matter of principle. Have I proven to myself that I am worthy of The Scales? I'm not sure yet. I know that I can hold my own (mostly) in areas that I have some understanding about. But that limits me greatly.

Not that The Scales are worth all that much nowadays, as Sucumbrobot noted. They're artifacts of a bygone era.

Or are they? When's the last time a scale postbit has been awarded to someone anyway, I wonder? Has that trend stopped once the DH was flung open with a crowbar? Or have some noble souls managed to attain prestige in this post-apocalyptic DH?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Or are they? When's the last time a scale postbit has been awarded to someone anyway, I wonder? Has that trend stopped once the DH was flung open with a crowbar? Or have some noble souls managed to attain prestige in this post-apocalyptic DH?
Come to think of it, I don't believe the DH postbit was given out since Smashboards' server overhaul.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I know well it's about content and acumen.

It's just a matter of principle. Have I proven to myself that I am worthy of The Scales? I'm not sure yet. I know that I can hold my own (mostly) in areas that I have some understanding about. But that limits me greatly.
Speaking personally I have a lot of respect for individuals who are aware of their limitations in terms of areas of knowledge and restrict themselves to discussions covering those areas, as I implied during the feminism thread.

There is nothing wrong with having blind spots, we all have blind spots. The issue is when we attempt to argue in those areas and end up conveying false information.

Not that The Scales are worth all that much nowadays, as Sucumbrobot noted. They're artifacts of a bygone era.

The scales were only for those whose entrance was allowed into the DH, but I would support bringing them back as a mark of a quality debater. That is what they were intended for in the beginning, but again that was an entry requirement for the location.[/quote]

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Speaking personally I have a lot of respect for individuals who are aware of their limitations in terms of areas of knowledge and restrict themselves to discussions covering those areas, as I implied during the feminism thread.

There is nothing wrong with having blind spots, we all have blind spots. The issue is when we attempt to argue in those areas and end up conveying false information.
Indeed.

I'm not lamenting my "blind spots". I'm just saying that I wouldn't ask for the Scales myself until and unless I find that I at least tried to put them to the test (which I've not yet done). But if people want to give me Scales, not much I can do about that.

The scales were only for those whose entrance was allowed into the DH, but I would support bringing them back as a mark of a quality debater. That is what they were intended for in the beginning, but again that was an entry requirement for the location.
So I'm hearing that the reason the old system was overturned was because the website got an overhaul. So is there actually any reason the old Proving Grounds system has not been brought back, beyond perceived lack of interest and/or staff apathy?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Indeed.

I'm not lamenting my "blind spots". I'm just saying that I wouldn't ask for the Scales myself until and unless I find that I at least tried to put them to the test (which I've not yet done). But if people want to give me Scales, not much I can do about that.

So I'm hearing that the reason the old system was overturned was because the website got an overhaul. So is there actually any reason the old Proving Grounds system has not been brought back, beyond perceived lack of interest and/or staff apathy?
Yeah, no user groups. Pg was a user group as was debaters.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I haven't posted much lately in the Debate Hall, but I have lurked every now and again to see what's going on. I have to say that the few trolls that post in these debates are by and large disturbing.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I haven't posted much lately in the Debate Hall, but I have lurked every now and again to see what's going on. I have to say that the few trolls that post in these debates are by and large disturbing.
If you want a nice palate cleanser for the disturbitude, try playing some FNaF.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I've never understood the types that go somewhere and immediately start ****. It happens in public all the time. There's always that one jerk who wants to ruin it for everyone else. Meh.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If you want a nice palate cleanser for the disturbitude, try playing some FNaF.
Way ahead of you (super late response, I know).
LOL! Lysergic apparently made a sock account just to let us know he was coming back in a few days. Well that's a good way to get your ban extended, I suppose. :laugh:
Weird, I never noticed, unless his post was deleted?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I find it disturbing that you referred to the "recent" thread topics as being "debates."

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Aite peeps. I'm fixin to change up the stickies again, and make a thread announcement giving us a halfway mark in terms of Premium Giveaway standings.

Anyone have a suggestions for which recent topics should get pinned next?

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
I can't tell if this is an appropriate place for this or not, but:

I lurk here and think the forum is really cool, but I'm having a tough time posting since the stickied (and some non-stickies) aren't really in places I feel like I can get a good foothold to hop in. With the three stickies, one ended on an opinion-dumper, another appears to be debating its own usefulness/uselessness, and the third is in a better place but is frankly intimidating to approach after reading the last page. I hesitate to dive in with my own opinion because I fear doing so will leave me on the defensive the whole time, and I'm also more comfortable as a replier than an initiator, if that makes sense.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I can't tell if this is an appropriate place for this or not, but:

I lurk here and think the forum is really cool, but I'm having a tough time posting since the stickied (and some non-stickies) aren't really in places I feel like I can get a good foothold to hop in. With the three stickies, one ended on an opinion-dumper, another appears to be debating its own usefulness/uselessness, and the third is in a better place but is frankly intimidating to approach after reading the last page. I hesitate to dive in with my own opinion because I fear doing so will leave me on the defensive the whole time, and I'm also more comfortable as a replier than an initiator, if that makes sense.
Those stickied threads have been around for a bit, so there's a lot of stop-and-start tangents and throughlines going on. You kind of do just have to jump in, either to respond to the digression du jour or to present your own case. No real way to wipe the slate clean again unless you make a duplicate thread -- which would be closed on account of being a duplicate.

So put on your sunscreen and your waterwings and dive on in! 8DDDDD

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I am totally open to suggestions haha. That's a drawback I guess to being here so long. I feel like it's all been debated already sometimes two and three times. I was lucky first half of the year cause there were several discussion topics that people felt strongly about but at this time it seems to have fallen off a bit.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
so does anyone have any knowledge of academic biblical criticism? Or academic criticism of historical source materials in general? A recent thread suggested to me that this is a sorely lacking area DH expertise but I wanted to check because I'd like to do a thread in that area at some point in the near future.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
so does anyone have any knowledge of academic biblical criticism? Or academic criticism of historical source materials in general? A recent thread suggested to me that this is a sorely lacking area DH expertise but I wanted to check because I'd like to do a thread in that area at some point in the near future.
I have zero expertise in this area, but it certainly does seem like a worthy topic to explore. 8)

Top Bottom