• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
That's rad as ****. I wish you much success. :hangten:

And writing is perhaps the only thing I can actually discuss intelligently. So I'd be glad to lend any insights I might possess, should you have need of it (*plug* also do consider joining the Writer's Lounge *plug*).
I'd like that. Also, I would like to be a Smash Writer, but I have no clue what kind of commitments that would require, and if I'm even able to meet said requirements for such commitment. Not even sure what I need to write either. lol

I might change my username at some point - change it to the name I'm going to use for my books (a "pen name" was it?).

Imma write n' publish some boss stories down the line as well. You and me, we're going to spearhead the next wave of fantabulous modern literature. :awesome:
If my story receives a cult following or manages to be a part of the mainstream, that would be wonderful. That said, more than anything else, I'm only writing because I enjoy it, and I want to tell a story and have it exist in print, so that in worst case scenario, my story, ideas, characters, and world won't die with me.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
A bit of an update, because I feel like sharing it with you guys in particular:

I'm at a little over 32,000 words in my book so far. Honestly, I'm aiming for anywhere between 75,000-100,000 words. At the rate I'm going, I could definitely reach that goal. This is just the first book, mind you; I intend to do five books in the series. If I can motivate myself to do at least one chapter a day, I should do fine, and maybe finish my first book well before the year's end.

The only obstacle afterward, is getting the thing published, and I don't know where to go for that, and the target demographic leans more toward young adults (not that it contains smut or anything).

That goes without saying. It's still annoying regardless, though it could be worse, all things considered.
First off all, awesome that you are making good progress. Publishing your first book can be a real hassle though (a friend of mine tried this, and conventional publishers usually don't like taking the risk and won't do it at all or against a huge fee - at least that's what the situation was when he asked couple 'o years ago).
Have you considered going the 'modern' and fancy route? I personally have absolutely no experience with this, but amazon offers various methods of self publishing, the most accessible being publishing to kindle I'd say. It's free, fast and probably reaches a rather young demographic.
Might wanna take a look:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-summary-page.html?topic=200260520

Anyway, good luck! :p

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
First off all, awesome that you are making good progress. Publishing your first book can be a real hassle though (a friend of mine tried this, and conventional publishers usually don't like taking the risk and won't do it at all or against a huge fee - at least that's what the situation was when he asked couple 'o years ago).
Have you considered going the 'modern' and fancy route? I personally have absolutely no experience with this, but amazon offers various methods of self publishing, the most accessible being publishing to kindle I'd say. It's free, fast and probably reaches a rather young demographic.
Might wanna take a look:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-summary-page.html?topic=200260520

Anyway, good luck! :p
I've heard of self-publishing and all, but wasn't sure if that would be the best route to go. Although, now that I look at it, it does seem like a better decision. Thanks for the tip, and thanks for the wishes.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'd like that. Also, I would like to be a Smash Writer, but I have no clue what kind of commitments that would require, and if I'm even able to meet said requirements for such commitment. Not even sure what I need to write either. lol

I might change my username at some point - change it to the name I'm going to use for my books (a "pen name" was it?).
The Lounge is just a social forum I started back in the summer. All you need to join is to have some interest in writing. The Group is Private only so that people can share their material (if they want) outside of public view, for the purpose of feedback and workshopping.

I envisioned the Lounge as a resource for Smashers who have a passion for writing. You don't need to write anything to get in, nor to stick around. But you get out what you put in, so you can make use of what's there. I'll send you an invite shortly; maybe the Lounge will be of use to you.

In other news, pen names can be used for various reasons. The most common purpose is to differentiate your brand. If you write YA books as Claire Diviner, then decide to write some historical fiction, you may consider using a pen name (e.g. Eleannor Scryer) so as to not dilute your YA brand. Though you can also use pen names for the sake of anonymity, among other uses.

If my story receives a cult following or manages to be a part of the mainstream, that would be wonderful. That said, more than anything else, I'm only writing because I enjoy it, and I want to tell a story and have it exist in print, so that in worst case scenario, my story, ideas, characters, and world won't die with me.
Of course. I was trying to crank up the hype. 8P

Fame and money and sex and pretzels would only be by-products of what we do (e.g. write and share stories). But I would certainly welcome such things, if they were to come my way.

Whatever the case, you have the right attitude for these things. So right on.

I've heard of self-publishing and all, but wasn't sure if that would be the best route to go. Although, now that I look at it, it does seem like a better decision. Thanks for the tip, and thanks for the wishes.
There are pros and cons to both traditional and self publishing.

For self-publishing, you have total control over everything (distribution, rights, revenue, marketing). You also get a much bigger percentage of profit from revenue overall. However, since you're working alone, you have to pay for everything out of pocket. This means commissioning people for editing services, cover art, advertising, and distribution (in the event you want to print physical copies). Unless you hire someone else, you tend to have to do your own marketing to get your work out there (social media and other platforms). There also isn't as strong a professional threshold of quality; this doesn't prevent someone from self-publishing good material, but it does mean that the bar of entry, as it were, is much lower.

In traditional publishing, the benefit is that your publisher will do the work for you. Editing, printing, distribution, marketing, etc.; they take care of it all, and do so with professional acumen. It's harder to break into the industry, but that's because the bar of entry is much higher. You also get lump-sum advances for each of your works, which can be nice. However, you get a much smaller percentage of overall profits, since A) the publisher has to pay to get your book(s) out there, and B) they want to make up for the costs of investing in your book(s). If you have an agent, they also get a commission from your total revenue (the standard rate is 15%).

Both avenues are viable; it depends on what you want to do and/or what you deem is right for your material. Self-publishing is an increasingly widespread platform, but traditional publishing still has numerous benefits. Some authors are starting to diversify, dabbling in trad and self publishing (and even fundraising campaigns like Kickstarter).

It remains that the publishing landscape is evolving, and rather rapidly. It's thus more important now than ever to remain informed about what's available to you as a (prospective) author in terms of publishing options, since traditional publishers are slowly losing their monopoly on the industry (though remain viable, at least for now).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So I've finally decided to change my username to "C.M. Gomez". That is the name I will use for my book series. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I kind of like the sound of the name.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So I've finally decided to change my username to "C.M. Gomez". That is the name I will use for my book series. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I kind of like the sound of the name.
I also see you changed your custom title. :shades:

Now, to play the guessing game:

Catbomb Masterblast Gomez
Crepes Mandelbrot Gomez
Cherrycoke Myriad Gomez
Cuckoo Marzipan Gomez
Candlewax Morningstar Gomez
Certified Mammajamma Gomez
Cradlerock Mumstheword Gomez
C. M. Punk

This is fun. You should change your username more often. 8DDDD

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I also see you changed your custom title. :shades:

Now, to play the guessing game:

Catbomb Masterblast Gomez
Crepes Mandelbrot Gomez
Cherrycoke Myriad Gomez
Cuckoo Marzipan Gomez
Candlewax Morningstar Gomez
Certified Mammajamma Gomez
Cradlerock Mumstheword Gomez
C. M. Punk

This is fun. You should change your username more often. 8DDDD
You had me a "C.M. Punk". lol

It's actually my full name with the first and middle name abbreviated. I'll bet you can guess what the C stands for.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Save the best for last. It's the first thing they teach you at Hilarious Night School.

And the C is for Christopoulos, naturally.
A winner is you!

I actually finished a chapter not too long ago today. I'm gonna write one more chapter in a few before heading for bed. Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss' birthday, and they're going to have activities for kids at the Springfield Museums to celebrate. It'll be fun for my daughter, plus I loved Dr. Seuss' books growing up.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
A winner is you!

I actually finished a chapter not too long ago today. I'm gonna write one more chapter in a few before heading for bed. Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss' birthday, and they're going to have activities for kids at the Springfield Museums to celebrate. It'll be fun for my daughter, plus I loved Dr. Seuss' books growing up.
Good to know you're firing on all cylinders.
And tell Claire Miniature Gomez that Sehnsucht says howdy. :seuss:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm guessing he added me to his Ignore List (I couldn't guess why other than him being too salty for even deer to lick), since he hasn't responded to any of my points. I'm guessing being added to someone's Ignore List still allows me to see his posts for some reason.

It's whatever, really. If someone's going to rage quit a debate in that manner (assuming that was the case), then it's no skin off my nose. I'll just take it as a win.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
~Ignore you
Ignore me
We're now locked in enmity
With a great big click
On the Ignore list with you
Won't you say you shun me too~

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
you can just ignore him too
I'd rather not stoop to his level. It wouldn't prove anything, and him ignoring me when I did nothing wrong but debate and strengthen my points shows he was too butthurt to see that I had valid rebuttals against his fallacious arguments.

Maybe it's because I'm a female one-upping him? Maybe it's the fact he's a child? Maybe both? He did point out my gender as a negative in one of his comments, which did naught in the way of strengthening his argument.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't see ignoring people who add nothing to discussions as "stopping to his level", if somebody's being extremely immature in debating "stooping to their level" is using the same tactics. In practice the room ignoring people ultimately contributes to the level of discussion by highlighting their ridiculousness and encouraging others to do the same.

And if that person really did reference your gender as a negative, that sounds like precisely the reason to place somebody on the ignore list.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't see ignoring people who add nothing to discussions as "stopping to his level", if somebody's being extremely immature in debating "stooping to their level" is using the same tactics. In practice the room ignoring people ultimately contributes to the level of discussion by highlighting their ridiculousness and encouraging others to do the same.

And if that person really did reference your gender as a negative, that sounds like precisely the reason to place somebody on the ignore list.
Hm. When you put it that way, I suppose I ought to reciprocate the Ignore List gesture. Hindsight is funny sometimes.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
aint that the truth, thank you for making the DH a better place. Mind linking to the offending post?
In the quote below. Interestingly, I didn't insult him in the way he describes... At all.
Seems to me like you're saying everything that comes out of my mouth is just a bunch of drivel from a brain dead idiot. And I don't like being insulted by a woman with the intelligence of a turtle.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Debate Highlight Update: 2 taken down 3 up, end of March will see the Fem thread back down so as to keep a max of 3 sticks. So get dem good arguments in. So far Claire, BPC and adum all are in good stance for a free SB Premium Membership 2016.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Debate Highlight Update: 2 taken down 3 up, end of March will see the Fem thread back down so as to keep a max of 3 sticks. So get dem good arguments in. So far Claire, BPC and adum all are in good stance for a free SB Premium Membership 2016.
What's this about Freemium giveaways?

If the requirement is that you post good arguments, then I guess I can forget all about that. :awesome:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What's this about Freemium giveaways?

If the requirement is that you post good arguments, then I guess I can forget all about that. :awesome:
Omg leik srsly tho?

But yeah... Stickied threads are on "spotlight" and likes received during that window go towards your yearly point total. On 25 Dec I will buy the user with the highest points a one year SB Premium Membership effective 2016.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Omg leik srsly tho?

But yeah... Stickied threads are on "spotlight" and likes received during that window go towards your yearly point total. On 25 Dec I will buy the user with the highest points a one year SB Premium Membership effective 2016.
So instead of promoting honest and earnest debate, you want us to devolve into rabid cutthroat likemongers to win a year-long Premium deal?

Fine by me! 8D

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Actually, I've been wondering how some people without Premium have custom lines under their name.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
You had me at hello. Go get em tiger, let's show em what you can do.
Then it begins.

Actually, I've been wondering how some people without Premium have custom lines under their name.
I had a one-month Freemium, so my custom tag is still there. I imagine this goes for everyone whose special user statuses expire, or are changed.

NNID
Budget_Player
Double posting rules are hella dumb. It's like, really? I made two consecutive posts rather than editing it into the other one so that the person I was responding to would be notified. And there's enough content in each of those posts to be worth 3-4 normal posts in the thread.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If I'm in the running for a Premium giveaway, then I must say that gives me quite the confidence boost in both my debating skills and writing skills.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
If I'm in the running for a Premium giveaway, then I must say that gives me quite the confidence boost in both my debating skills and writing skills.
Dream on, sister.

You may wield the pen, but I wield the steel chair.

Maybe next time you'll think twice before entering the DH ring with me.

>8)

Top Bottom