• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dark Knight (2008) *12-14-07 NEW Official trailer!*

Dibs

Smash Lord
The Dark Knight

MAY BE SPOILERS

It's the next installment of the amazingly resurrected batman series. This movie takes off right after Batman Begins. I was already psyched for this movie the moment I saw the Joker card at the end of Begins. The Joker is one of my all time favorite villains and I am ecstatic to hear that he is the main villain in this movie and even better, Harvey Dent is in the movie too!

Many people (excluding me as I was always a fan of his acting ability) were skeptical about the selection of Heath Ledger as the Joker and some still are. But slowly and surely, people are beginning to turn to the good side after seeing bits and pieces of what Nolan has done with him. Some part of me is thinking that the skepticism is due to what I call Brokeback Blindness. Grow up people.

It's still a year away, but I am PUMPED for this movie.

During the Simpson's movie, a teaser had finally been released of the movie.
Here is the trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1clvbS_33mk

Also on that same day on Whysoserious.com (no longer up) there was a little puzzle you can solve to gain more things from the movie. One was a phone number you could call which was VERY creepy to hear on your phone. (It was a recorded message that was playing as if you were talking to a hostage and the Joker had made him read lines before ultimately shooting him.) The trailer was another thing you can get and this picture as well was revealed.

Just 2 days ago, pictures from the movie had been leaked onto the internet. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL ANYTHING FOR YOURSELF, SCROLL DOWN FAST.
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\

\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
Yeah, I'm completely psyched.. I can't say it enough, it's going to be an amazing summer for me with this and Iron Man coming out next year. I'm confident that at least the dark knight (and the new and improved joker) will not disappoint.

UPDATE: Aug 23, 2007
New Dark Knight Footage shown in Chicago!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/08/12/dark-knight-footage-shown-at-wizard-world-chicago/

The description of the footage shown follows below.

The footage started with a silhouette of a dark figure in front of one of Batman’s armored vehicles before quickly cutting to Bruce Wayne and Alfred delivering the brief lines heard in the Dark Knight teaser trailer.

“Some people just want to watch the world burn," advises Alfred before the camera jumps to Batman in action on the Batpod, the new iteration of his motorcycle.

The action built up as the Joker was seen in full for the first time with a mess of white face, smeared red lipstick and sweaty, straggly green hair. Apparently, the clown prince of crime gets arrested at one point in the film, as the montage presented Jim Gordon (complete in SWAT gear) at the Joker's booking, saying, “no prints, no ID, custom clothes, no tags." The clown smiles with what appears to be blood over his face from the inside of an interrogation room.

Checking back in with Bruce Wayne, the billionaire playboy has a brief scene with Eckhart’s Harvey Dent where he says “Rachel's told me everything about you."

“I truly hope not," responds Wayne.

The footage sped up at that point into an intense montage of action, featuring the following clips:

- The new batsuit rising up from a trap door in the ground and held in a chain metal case.

- Rachel Dawes (played by Maggie Gyllenhaal) close to an unidentified man either kissing him or being threatened by him as the camera rotates around them.

- The Joker and Batman battling in close quarters (possibly a hospital room). Batman throws Joker over a table and crashing into the ground while the clown smiles at him. It should be noted that the Joker was done up in his signature purple suit.

- Plenty of big, bold Batmobile action including a shot where the tank-like car drives through a wall of flame. In fact, flames were pretty much everywhere in the footage as it appears Joker does actually make the world burn.

- There is also a shot of a somewhat grim-faced Joker walking across a city street mercilessly firing a machine gun as well as a television close-up of the Joker laughing hysterically.

- Two major additions to the speculation that Two Face will appear in the film came in the form of a single shot of a spinning 50 cent piece and the final image: after the action montage has slowed down, the camera cuts to a bartender looking at Harvey Dent, whose only onscreen presence is his left shoulder and a bit of a reddish-purple scarred neck. “Dent! I thought you were dead!" the man gasps, to which Harvey replies, “Half."

UPDATE: Oct 17, 2007
More Viral Marketing:
http://www.whysoserious.com

I remember going to this site in the summer and they had the picture with Joker with the knife to Maggie Gyllenhaal. They had Uncle Sam because it was July. Now a pumpkin with the bat symbol for Halloween. I wonder what we will get this time. Hopefully a trailer that shows something instead of the bat symbol exploding.

and http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6408 as well.

UPDATE: Dec 2, 2007
New Joker and Batman promo pictures:

Joker looks AMAZING.

**(***** UPDATE *****)**

NEW TRAILER
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Dyb2_mxL8

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about this! And Batman Begins is my favorite movie. Way to bring this up a year before it comes out, it'll be like waiting for Harry Potter 7 all over again.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Heath Leger looks AMAZING as The Joker. There is no name for the him on IMDB, so I wondering if we will get an origin story or just a flashback. This is reinforced by the fact that by the end of the last movie, the Joker was already established. Maggie Gyllenhaal replaces Katie Holmes as she is serving solitary confinement at the Scientology Complex. Gyllenhaal is a much better actress than Holmes anyway. Aaron Eckhart plays Harvey Dent which leads me to believe that Two-Faced may get a Venom-esque introduction and be further fleshed out in a third possible movie.

I really like Christian Bale, and his chemistry with Michael Caine is still quite good. (Prestige, Batman Begins) Should be really good.

Dibs

Smash Lord
There is no name for the him on IMDB, so I wondering if we will get an origin story or just a flashback. This is reinforced by the fact that by the end of the last movie, the Joker was already established.
I was thinking about this too. I'm hoping we get some kind of back story for him. Before the pictures were released I really though they'd flashback with the background given in "The Killing Joke," but, it seems like the Heath Ledger Joker isn't one with bleach stained skin so falling into an acid bath is an unlikely origin of his. It will be interesting to see how they play this out.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Like the suit they got on the Joker, and the make-up (I think they should have had white on his neck as well though), but I hate that hair. Not the color, but the long and stringy look. I also think they should have made the gashes on his cheeks look more grotesque.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
The Joker needs a spiffy haircut.

Cant wait for this movie to come out. The first one, one of my favorite movies, had great writing and acting all around, and I expect the sequel to be even better. Keath Ledger had the Joker's laugh pinned down to near perfection. *squeals*

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I actually just watched Batman begins for the first time in a while last night and remembered how great it is. Definitely psyched for this except I like the Riddler and Penguin better than The Joker, but it still looks awesome.

Yeah, I'm completely psyched.. I can't say it enough, it's going to be an amazing summer for me with this and Iron Man coming out next year. I'm confident that at least the dark knight (and the new and improved joker) will not disappoint.
What about The Flash movie? He's definitely my favorite superhero because having super speed is awesome!

Illos

Smash Apprentice
I'm really looking forward to this, Christian Bale is THE Batman.

Dibs

Smash Lord
What about The Flash movie? He's definitely my favorite superhero because having super speed is awesome!
YOUR KIDDING ME!!!! When is this coming out?!?!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If I remember correctly, the script is being written for The Flash.

This movie will rock. Joker ftw.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly, the script is being written for The Flash.

This movie will rock. Joker ftw.

I heard that they wanted Ryan Reynolds from Blade III ( Hannibal King in case you forgot who he was...) to play the flash, but apparentally that movie has been in development hell for the past couple of years

Pit 42

Smash Lord
This movie is going to be awesome, but I have some doubts that Heath Ledger can pull off the role. His laugh didn't sound very convincing to me in the teaser trailer.

Sir James

The Doctor
Those updated promo pictures with the Joker look amazing. I'm really happy with how the Joker is coming along as the dark maniac he's supposed to be. He's got the looks down, and from what I heard in the teaser trailer, he's got the voice down also.

July 2008 can't come soon enough.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Updated. We finally get a good look at how Heath's Joker will be played. Any doubts I had about him (and I had VERY little) were thrown out the window with this trailer. It's bad quality though, but hey, it's something.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
Updated. We finally get a good look at how Heath's Joker will be played. Any doubts I had about him (and I had VERY little) were thrown out the window with this trailer. It's bad quality though, but hey, it's something.

hell yeah, I wanna say after this, Heath Ledger's joker will be the DEFINITIVE joker

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Good trailer. I wouldn't go out and say he's utterly perfect right now. All he did was a lot of talking, and he doesn't sound bad, but you don't get to see a lot of the Joker himself. A couple of laughing moments and some scary eyes and his little "hit me" thing in the end, but for the most part, all I see that sells him right now is the look.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hopefully the writer's strike is resolved before February or this movie is postponed. Of course, this goes with ALL movies.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Good trailer. I wouldn't go out and say he's utterly perfect right now. All he did was a lot of talking, and he doesn't sound bad, but you don't get to see a lot of the Joker himself. A couple of laughing moments and some scary eyes and his little "hit me" thing in the end, but for the most part, all I see that sells him right now is the look.
Just a preview sir.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
They've got the look, the voice, the laugh and the mannerisms down pat. And you can easily tell by that trailer what they're doing with the character in the movie.

antimatter

Smash Lord
let's see:
the hair, the not completely white skin, the wrinkles, the smeared red mouth, the eyes, and the face. he didnt seem like the right kind of joker to me. he just looked like some murdering dude who figured it'd be funny if he killed people as a clown. not a vengeful psychopath whose face was ruined by the batman.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
let's see:
the hair, the not completely white skin, the wrinkles, the smeared red mouth, the eyes, and the face. he didnt seem like the right kind of joker to me. he just looked like some murdering dude who figured it'd be funny if he killed people as a clown. not a vengeful psychopath whose face was ruined by the batman.
A. John Wayne Gacy was a serial killer who was a clown at parties.

B. There are 2 or 3 Joker origin stories. The one we saw in Tim Burton's was another one that never existed in the comics. This will probably be along one of the comic timelines.

Dibs

Smash Lord
It was actually stated in an interview that we don't learn the origin of this Joker. He just comes onto the scene out of nowhere like in the very first comic of Batman.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
that's good. there shouldn't be too much focus on the joker. that was the problem with Tim burton's Batman. it felt more like the Joker's movie with Batman being a side character.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I mean, dead certain. You surely don't want to focus on the more interesting, and the less likely character to make into the next. Its obvious that you don't want to spend on a character that doesn't have a 100% chance on making to the next film, like Batman does. After all, people go to see these films for the villains, since it is certain Batman is going to be in all of them, so you got plenty of time to learn about Batman, but not a lot of time to see the villains. Especially if they die, like Ra's.

Also, I guess its because I'm not a comic book fan, but I don't buy the whole, he's a killer because he's killer, thing that's going on here. I think, there needs more story to him, and he needs to have real psychological development. I don't accept that he just comes out of nowhere, wearing white make-up with a big gash across his cheaks, with blonde and green hair wearing a Willy Wonka outfit, and there's no given explanation for his look or his behavior. That doesn't make him a character. He's just some event that happens in Bruce Wayne's life. They don't really need a full story. I can accept a little hint, which is what I'm hoping for (in fact, I would prefer little hints to his life, and what made him such a bad man, rather than the full story, that makes him an even more interesting character, because now it leaves you something to think about, something you want to understand, something you begin thinking). Just say something like this thing happened to me, and I started doing whatever, and that'll be perfectly fine. I can put the pieces together after that, and now, he's a real character. I mean, you wouldn't buy someone saying Batman is just Batman because he's Batman (at least I hope you wouldn't buy that). I mean, even Tim Burton went out of the way to show Bruce's parents getting killed.

The point is. I think the Joker really needs to play a large part of this film. Batman is still an important character, but he's old news now, and they need to give a new character, time on the screen. You can't just blow a character off, just because his name isn't in the title. He needs to be more than just some side character who comes out of nowhere and does bad things every 20 minutes. Maybe the Joker played a little too large of a role in the first Batman (then again its Jack Nicholson, and he usually takes the spotlight in any film), but then again, he died.

I have high expectations for this film, and I have no doubt that I will be seeing in several times in theatres (as I did Begins), but I want to look at the Joker in this film and think more than just, "man he looks so wierd," or, "****, he's really insane." I especially don't want to say, "why is he like this?" and get nothing. Maybe some people will buy that, but not me.

Now everyone here is going to flame me.

Dibs

Smash Lord
I do kind of agree though. I feel like he needs a reason to terrorize Batman. Such as... falling into a vat of bleaching chemicals while being the Red Hood. Im sure I'm going to love this movie still 100%. =]

Right now.. He really kind of feels just like... a joker gang lackey. Like in batman beyond.. they put on the makeup, claim to be joker.. but aren't you know.. JOKER. He needs to feel like he's THEEEE joker and no one can just come along and replicate him easily.

Only time will tell.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Also, I guess its because I'm not a comic book fan, but I don't buy the whole, he's a killer because he's killer, thing that's going on here. I think, there needs more story to him, and he needs to have real psychological development. I don't accept that he just comes out of nowhere, wearing white make-up with a big gash across his cheaks, with blonde and green hair wearing a Willy Wonka outfit, and there's no given explanation for his look or his behavior. That doesn't make him a character.
One of my favorite things about the Batman series is that all the villians are completely insane. Yes, they do have backround stories, which they may or may not go into in this movie, but there's no denying that they are one hundred percent evil.

There's no doubt that the joker will have the same treatment as Raz (sp?) in the first movie. Though there may or may not be flashback scenes, I'm willing to bet that the Joker will mouth off some craziness about himself (like he always does) which the audience will be able to pick up on without even noticing it. The way they did that with Raz in the first movie was amazing.

Edit: And I couldn't get the trailer out of my head all of last night and this morning while taking finals. I spent half of my Physics final drawing Batman. Yeah.

I just read my post over. The sentence-structure sucks. >_>

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
They were very open about Ra's, and did a real good job explaining him. He gave his reasons for what they believe, and why they were doing what they were doing, and (in a way) he was able to justify. They also gave him time to explain why he became someone like that in the beginning of the film when trying to help Bruce with his problems.

They told enough of his story, which is why I had no problem with him dying in it. I am also glad that the Scarecrow didn't die, because he definitely did not have enough time on the scream. I want to see scarecrow back.

Top Bottom