• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daitoryo for Smash 4 Thread. Goko; opponent wins game 4. (Disconfirmed)

Should the character be called "Napoleon" or "President" for the sake of this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Both men are based off of Napoleon I of France, how is that the wrong Napoleon.
Touche...ish.

This thread is specifically concerning the character on front of the "Daitoryo" (President) styled hanafuda cards, which are the highest quality hanafuda cards Nintendo produces. They have produced these cards for many, many years. The slight majority ended up choosing just the name "Daitoryo" for this character since, aside from the appearance, they are two very separate beings.

In other words, no really Napoleon-y stuff would be done by this guy. Just using stuff based off of cards like pretty flowers, butterflies, and birds.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've been thinking, I really think Sakurai can change his rules about being originated from a video game, he could possibly accept a Hanafuda character, Dr. Kawashima, Nintendog, and hell even Popeye because they are really important to Nintendo as a whole, for that very reason I feel like these characters get to pass over the rules. Anything else not really related to Nintendo don't really get any representation at all.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Please add me.
i support. so add me please.
You will both be added momentarily.
I've been thinking, I really think Sakurai can change his rules about being originated from a video game, he could possibly accept a Hanafuda character, Dr. Kawashima, Nintendog, and hell even Popeye because they are really important to Nintendo as a whole, for that very reason I feel like these characters get to pass over the rules. Anything else not really related to Nintendo don't really get any representation at all.
I think you're going a bit too extreme. I think Sakurai purposefully limits the amount of characters that people do not ask for, so we may get a few of those, but not all of them.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You will both be added momentarily.

I think you're going a bit too extreme. I think Sakurai purposefully limits the amount of characters that people do not ask for, so we may get a few of those, but not all of them.
The very few would only be Dr. Kawashima, Nintendog, and a Hanafuda character. Maybe the statement of Popeye went a bit too far. :eek:
Allow me to restate:
Since they are series that really important to Nintendo, I feel like Sakurai would accept these characters and let them pass the origin rules.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The very few would only be Dr. Kawashima, Nintendog, and a Hanafuda character. Maybe the statement of Popeye went a bit too far. :eek:
Actually, since WFT and Villager both kind of count, I think only one of those two (Dr. Kawashima or Nintendog) and a Hanafuda character is more likely. This is just my opinion, though.

Also, the OP has been updated slightly. The spacing issues may finally be fixed, the text is now white, and the supporters have been added.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm kinda leaning towards Dr. Kawashima based on that statement, since Brain Age has the bigger popularity.
But yeah, let's get back on topic here.
Oh, this is perfectly on topic. If Sakurai limits himself to a certain number of surprise characters, then it's relevant to Daitoryo's chances.

Let's see who we have as obscure that has at least some sort of chance along with the ones we already have:

Wii Fit Trainer
Villager (? May be debatable, but, after Sakurai's comments of him not getting in, I think he might count.)
Dr. Kawashima
Nintendog
Rhythm Haven Character
(Any others?)
Daitoryo
Diskun
Sheriff
Wild Gunman
EVR Racer
(Insert other "historical" character here)
All the retros who(m?) I will not bother listing.

Then let's look at the surprise characters that came in Brawl:
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Snake
Pokemon Trainer (Two of the three characters that made up this character were surprising at the very least)
R.O.B.

And Melee:
Sheik
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
Clones may be a special case, but let's see:
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Roy

Maybe there's a pattern of 6->5->4?

That way, we might have:
Villager (debatable)
Wii Fit Trainer
Retro
Historical

or (if the Villager doesn't count)

Wii Fit Trainer
Other surprise character (Dr. Kawashima, Nintendog, Rhythm Haven character, etc.)
Retro
Historical

Either of those are possibilities in my mind, but I lean more towards the former.

Keep in mind that this is purely speculative, and there may be no pattern whatsoever.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well there's Dr. Lobe from Big Brain Academy and Vince from Art Academy.
Although I feel that only the most popular "casual" franchises (Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Brain Age) should only get their characters, as no one is seriously demanding characters other casual franchises. Although Rhythm Heaven might be an acception here, since there is actual active demand.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well there's Dr. Lobe from Big Brain Academy and Vince from Art Academy.
Although I feel that only the most popular "casual" franchises (Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Brain Age) should only get their characters, as no one is seriously demanding characters other casual franchises. Although Rhythm Heaven might be an acception here, since there is actual active demand.
Those guys are other contenders, thank you.

Do you htink I'm onto something, or am I pulling patterns out of thin air?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Those guys are other contenders, thank you.

Do you htink I'm onto something, or am I pulling patterns out of thin air?
Yeah perhaps I shouldn't be critical on them, they do have their own potential.

Maybe you could be onto something, as with nearly all the popular choices done in Brawl, he can literally do anything. Since there are not that much options left (According to Sakurai), he might even lean on characters that come from casual franchises now. If there is the inclusion of Dr. Kawashima, I think we might be leaning to the inclusion of Daitouryou since he hypothetically would allow characters not of origin from a videogame. This ideally would make Daitouryou the ideal choice, with it's huge importance on Nintendo.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yeah perhaps I shouldn't be critical on them, they do have their own potential.

Maybe you could be onto something, as with nearly all the popular choices done in Brawl, he can literally do anything. Since there are not that much options left (According to Sakurai), he might even lean on characters that come from casual franchises now. If there is the inclusion of Dr. Kawashima, I think we might be leaning to the inclusion of Daitouryou since he hypothetically would allow characters not of origin from a videogame. This ideally would make Daitouryou the ideal choice, with it's huge importance on Nintendo.
I think you're overestimating the lack of newcomers. There's still Toad/Bowser Jr./Paper Mario/Rosalina, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Toon Zelda/Tetra/Tingle/Impa/Whoever for Zelda, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Bandana Dee, Mewtwo/Pokemon newcomer, A F-Zero newcomer, Chrom/Roy/Robin/Anna/Whoever for FE, the Mii, Isaac, Shulk, Starfy, other small frachise characters and Pac-Man that may be considered before any casual or retro franchises.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Sure there are choices left, but some don't feel real necessary like an additional Mario, Zelda, Kirby, F-Zero character (just those 4 franchises IMO). More new series should get the spotlight, mostly i'm talking about the the big 3 casual franchises that have a big importance to NIntendo for them to be a character in the roster. It might be the new direction Sakurai is going to do since we milked almost all truly popular characters in Brawl.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sure there are choices left, but some don't feel real necessary like an additional Mario, Zelda, Kirby, F-Zero character (just those 4 franchises IMO). More new series should get the spotlight, mostly i'm talking about the the big 3 casual franchises that have a big importance to NIntendo for them to be a character in the roster. It might be the new direction Sakurai is going to do since we milked almost all truly popular characters in Brawl.
If we're talking about ones that feel somewhat "necessary", then I'd say both K. Rool and Dixie, another Mario newcomer (just my opinion), Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Mewtwo, a Fire Emblem character, and the Mii still count. That's twelve newcomers when you include the confirmed ones, and that's already a lot of newcomers. I still don't think we'll be getting all of the characters that feel somewhat necessary until Smash 5. If we make it to a Smash 6, then I expect either no newcomers or a ton of retros and new franchises being added. I really just don't think it's the time now.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hmm.. when you think about Toad being playable again in recent Mario games, it does kinda make sense slowly for me. But my opinion hasn't really changed though. Although I would low down on having two additional DK characters, unless Dixie is tag-teaming with Diddy (Which originally was Sakurai's intention in Brawl).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hmm.. when you think about Toad being playable again in recent Mario games, it does kinda make sense slowly for me. But my opinion hasn't really changed though. Although I would low down on having two additional DK characters, unless Dixie is tag-teaming with Diddy (Which originally was Sakurai's intention in Brawl).
Possible either way, I just think they'd add Dixie seperately if they've already established Diddy as a separate character. It'd be a little odd.

Anyways, now we're getting a little off-topic.

Does anyone here have a deviantart account? Maybe someone could find the artist we're looking for.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I wish I could draw, but I probably be very bad at it. Maybe I'll attempt to make Daitouryou copy, but maybe the colors will be all black one the body . I'm not exactly the best portrayal. If I have time of course.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I wish I could draw, but I probably be very bad at it. Maybe I'll attempt to make Daitouryou copy, but maybe the colors will be all black. I'm not exactly the best portrayal. If I have time of course.
That would be very much appreciated if you could do it.

Though, I might just create an account and find someone who I think can accurately recreate the artstyle.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Hello!
I find this idea very intriguing. He definitely fits in with Game & Watch and R.O.B as a historic Nintendo character.

I've decided to draw him in a way that makes him fit more alongside the other Smash Bros characters better. I gave him a a design update - and, well, a lower body.
I'm not the best at drawing people, but this is what I've come up with:

Bear in mind I didn't spend too much time on this... it's just a rough sketch, and I didn't want to color it until I heard your opinions on the design itself.

If you guys don't like it, that's okay, I won't be offended. I'm just putting this out there.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Alright, I like the feedback I am getting so far. I plan on doing a finalized, colored version - but first I need some specific opinions from you guys.

• Should his skin be the yellowish color like the card, or should I give him a more realistic skin tone?
  • Do you like him being somewhat of a rotund fellow, or should I make him more lean, or even muscly?
  • Are there any extra details you'd like to see, such as a rapier in his other hand, or more fine clothing detail?
If anybody is wondering, I used pictures of Daitoryo cards and Napoleon Bonaparte, and I also used an image of Ike for a posing reference.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Alright, I like the feedback I am getting so far. I plan on doing a finalized, colored version - but first I need some specific opinions from you guys.

• Should his skin be the yellowish color like the card, or should I give him a more realistic skin tone?
  • Do you like him being somewhat of a rotund fellow, or should I make him more lean, or even muscly?
  • Are there any extra details you'd like to see, such as a rapier in his other hand, or more fine clothing detail?
If anybody is wondering, I used pictures of Daitoryo cards and Napoleon Bonaparte, and I also used an image of Ike for a posing reference.

His skin should be yellow, I like the lean look, a rapier would be cool but isn't necessary.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
1. Yellowish. Like the Card.
2. A little leaner. Looks like he's been eating a little extra escargo.
3. A sheath with a sword in it, resembling Napoleon's. Always stays there.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Nah, the rapier should be at his side.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hello!
I find this idea very intriguing. He definitely fits in with Game & Watch and R.O.B as a historic Nintendo character.

I've decided to draw him in a way that makes him fit more alongside the other Smash Bros characters better. I gave him a a design update - and, well, a lower body.
I'm not the best at drawing people, but this is what I've come up with:

Bear in mind I didn't spend too much time on this... it's just a rough sketch, and I didn't want to color it until I heard your opinions on the design itself.

If you guys don't like it, that's okay, I won't be offended. I'm just putting this out there.
Wow wow wow wow wow! :D I love it!

Yellowish orange skin tone like the card.
I'd make him more lean, but not extremely so, since you can tell that he has a bit of weight on him in the card.
I would not have him holding a rapier, but one in a sheath to his side might be a cool detail. Keep in mind that he'd never actually use the thing, except maybe in taunts.

Would you like me to add the sketch to the OP, or would you rather we wait until the final one is done?

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Wow wow wow wow wow! :D I love it!

Yellowish orange skin tone like the card.
I'd make him more lean, but not extremely so, since you can tell that he has a bit of weight on him in the card.
I would not have him holding a rapier, but one in a sheath to his side might be a cool detail. Keep in mind that he'd never actually use the thing, except maybe in taunts.

Would you like me to add the sketch to the OP, or would you rather we wait until the final one is done?
Thanks a lot for the feedback, it helps a lot!

Feel free to add the rough sketch to the post, but just mention that it isn't finalized.
I'll start the good copy today! I'm glad that you guys generally liked it.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Thanks a lot for the feedback, it helps a lot!

Feel free to add the rough sketch to the post, but just mention that it isn't finalized.
I'll start the good copy today! I'm glad that you guys generally liked it.
I think I'll actually just add the rough sketch with the final version when it's done.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I found Daitoryo while shopping today. He looks great in color.

rofl. That's actually pretty funny.

I have received my official Nintendo Daitoryo Hanafuda card deck today, and I've taken scans of everything. Expect a huge update soon.

For the record, the cards are way smaller than I thought they'd be, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom