• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daily Dot: Ousted Apex Head Reportedly Eyes Return

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Online newspaper The Daily Dot has reported that Apex founder Johnathan "Alex Strife" Lugo is still working on Apex behind the scenes. Alex Strife according to a comment from Apex staff stepped down from running Apex after several allegations from transgender women within the Smash community including Kay "The Problem" and Haley "Nyani" Jones, with Kay's allegations written on Twitter and Nyani's within a post on /r/smashbros. These were not the only allegations brought against Alex Strike either, as community member Kiwi discussed how he had harassed her as well as at least one other underage woman as well, another community member Tiger discussed unwanted comments as well as inapropriate conduct during Apex 2013, and well known streamer Chibo discussed his experiences with Alex Strife as well.

Despite a statement from Apex released previously this year that Alex Strife has stepped down from running Apex however this article by The Daily Dot written by Michael Hathaway "Lugo is already in talks to once again lead operations for the Apex Series, according to multiple sources close to Apex." The article also states these sources have told them of a plan "to keep Cristin “Crismas” DeSaro as the public face of the organization, while Lugo remains behind the scenes, only involved in sponsor acquisition and other financial activities."

The Daily Dot also reported that Alex Strife denied these claims against him and that "he was no longer involved in any capacity with Apex." However, this contradicts what they say was told to tournament organizers in a Facebook message on February 9th, which was quote in the article (though no picture was included). The alleged quote says: “I own Apex and still run it," Lugo wrote, adding parenthetically: "Albeit behind the scenes, cause ppl like to make stuff up." The Daily Dot also stated that "Apex declined to comment on this article."

The full article can be found here for those wanting to read it in its entirety. Any other developments on this story will be reported as they become available.

Writer's Note:

Hey guys, SmashCapps here. While this has obviously been a very controversial and sensitive topic I want to remind you all to keep things decent in the comments and during any discussion. I also want to encourage you all to conduct yourselves properly if discussing this in other places as well. As always, if you want to talk about anything I write with me personally you can sound off in the comments or find me on Twitter.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Alex Strife is delusional if he thinks he's coming back.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I hope the community keeps him out permanently. It seems that whatever kind of benefit he added, he also spread his negativity like a cancer throughout the rest of it :(

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I will not cover, go to, or otherwise support any event Alex Strife is involved with, and will be instructing my staff to do the same.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Sing it with me:

♪HE HAS NO STYLE, HE HAS NO GRACE

THIS GUY, IS A ****ING DISGRACE!

HE CAN BE A CREEP, WHEN HE NEEDS TO

HE'S THE WORST MEMBER OF THE APEX CREW!

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
It's not my business to comment on this, but I'm just gonna say that things certainly don't look good for this "Strife" person.

D

Deleted member

Final Fantasy 7 wasn't even good, I hope Strife never comes back.

D

Deleted member

After the many terrible things the man has done, the Apex staff should leave him out of the events. No point.

Soul.

I thought he was banned from the Smash community with all the bad stuff he has done.
Needless to say, I hope this isn't the case.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Alex Strife? Eyeing a comeback? Are you ****ing KIDDING me?!

:joyful::joyful:

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Good one, Strife.

But You should consider dropping the comedy act.

Because no one is laughing.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
After reading Chibo's essay chronicling all his problems with this guy, it astounds me how such a person stuck around for that long.

I expect a serious amount of resistance on this matter... hell, based on what I've read, I wouldn't put it past them to develop a replacement event to Apex JUST to spite him.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Between the harrassment and the bullying, he should really apologize before he even thinks of coming back to do anything. This whole thing is too fresh for him to come back so soon either way.

But if he had any decency, he'd issue a formal apology, seek some serious counseling, and give back to the community rather than just try and take his creation by the reigns and tell us we're doing things his way.

In all honesty, the man is lucky he's not in jail right now. Not everyone gets that second chance, and he should really use this time to do some serious self-reflection.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Damnit. If only Apex were 15-16 years old, maybe he'd leave it alone

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
After reading Chibo's essay chronicling all his problems with this guy, it astounds me how such a person stuck around for that long.

I expect a serious amount of resistance on this matter... hell, based on what I've read, I wouldn't put it past them to develop a replacement event to Apex JUST to spite him.
They'll probably keep Apex and leave him uninvolved, just like the Dragon*Con guy.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
He should not be allowed back. So many have spoken out against him.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Sounds more like a public shamefest. If none of the victims are going to do the responsible thing and press charges then everyone should get off his ass.

He is already gone from Apex. This is turning into harassment from the community. How ironic!

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
I cannot begin to understand why apex would even consider bringing him back. But you all know how i feel about this, i'm sure. Don't expect to see me at apex 2016 if this is the case.
~Nyani

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
His comment regarding people tendency to "make stuff up" shows a severe disregard for the allegations brought before him. Next year would have been the first time I was financially able to attend an event like APEX. If he's part of it, I will choose another national to attend.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Sounds more like a public shamefest. If none of the victims are going to do the responsible thing and press charges then everyone should get off his ***.

He is already gone from Apex. This is turning into harassment from the community. How ironic!
Ohhhhh.
Ohhhhhh.
The tables may have turned, but at this point most people don't care.
Yes, he's a bad person, and he ought to be shamed. Society, while hopefully not hating the person so much as what they have done, should be wary of those people, and inform people to do the same. Tit for tat, with a healthy dose of mercy if Strife decides to sincerely apologize and shape up. I highly doubt he will.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
while Lugo remains behind the scenes, only involved in sponsor acquisition and other financial activities."
Looks like we know the reason why he's trying to coming back....

I really hope he doesn't get a single penny, this guy only deserves infinite bans for his actions.

Also Apex organizers should know that having it on board will cause them to sink

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
On another note, I'm surprised Alex isn't a bigger fan of Melee

I mean the game is 14 years old

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Yall are like 7 weeks late to be rabble rousing like this, just saying.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I agree. The victims should press charges or else nothing is gonna happen.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Oh great, it's that disgusting excuse of a human being again. Hopefully sanity will prevail and make sure this cancerous trash is kept out for good.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
If they really allow Strife to return to APEX, I seriously just might never attend the event, period.

If the higher-ups are so incompetent to the point where they would give scum like Alex Strife authority DESPITE the FACTS he is indeed scum... Then why on earth would I ever support that stupidity... Ever?

Fool me once...

(but honestly this is kind of old. Why the delay?)

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
The whole situation can be solved with one word:

No.

Top Bottom