• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daily Dot: Ousted Apex Head Reportedly Eyes Return

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
I know first-hand that going on a crusade for what you think the victims of sexual harassment want instead of listening to and respecting them, while admirable in a sense, is often not the proper route to making them feel safe.
I see what you are saying. But is this even about respecting the victims' anymore? Of course we feel bad for them, and I realize many probably would not want to bring attention to themselves and not want to prosecute.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is more about keeping a man who has been accused of so many bad things, out of our community. Personally, I don't think someone of his character should be running a national tournament in our scene, where I personally feel that our community is supposed to be an accepting group of people that just want to play their video games.

I know we should always hope for rehabilitation, but he has only been gone for a few months when I'm pretty sure issues like those take years of work to help. I highly doubt he has changed, so why accept that he is coming back? We don't. He can comeback in a few years, and sadly even then to me it's iffy. If Apex continues to see Strife trying to comeback, we should just get another national.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I see what you are saying. But is this even about respecting the victims' anymore? Of course we feel bad for them, and I realize many probably would not want to bring attention to themselves and not want to prosecute.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is more about keeping a man who has been accused of so many bad things, out of our community. Personally, I don't think someone of his character should be running a national tournament in our scene, where I personally feel that our community is supposed to be an accepting group of people that just want to play their video games.

I know we should always hope for rehabilitation, but he has only been gone for a few months when I'm pretty sure issues like those take years of work to help. I highly doubt he has changed, so why accept that he is coming back? We don't. He can comeback in a few years, and sadly even then to me it's iffy. If Apex continues to see Strife trying to comeback, we should just get another national.
Fair point, I guess I should've said people should refrain from rejecting him solely on behalf of the victims. But there's plenty of other valid reasons to do so as well.

Last edited:

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
The first sentence in this post is not a complete sentence!

What it is:
The neighborhood toucan from down the street noticed that this dog, who dug a hole with his pals Scruffy and Annie yesterday.

What it should be:
The neighborhood toucan from down the street noticed that this dog, who dug a hole with his pals Scruffy and Annie yesterday, has found a missing ball.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Has he shown any remorse for what he did? Any guilt or any sign that he wishes to make amends? Any hint, at least, that he has been thinking of anyone other than himself?

If he hasn't, keep him the f*** away from Apex.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

helps out with community events for 8 years > ousted by absolutely everyone

i hope alex strife figures out whats good for him, and then comes back afterwards

people make mistakes, let that **** go imo

D

Deleted member

It takes a lot to gain respect back. He shouldn't be given the chance to be forgiven yet. A few months of having people not like you is hardly punishment. That's nothing but a slap on the wrist to a bully and manipulator. He needs to miss out on being part of this community for a couple years at least, and then he can start trying show remorse and rebuild his image. And if some people still don't like him afterwards, tough s***. He did this to himself.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think the kiwi & tiger story are really bad. The other stories including the Chibio stuff doesn't seem like anything to get upset over. I don't like to see people have things get taken away from they because they offended someone. I also don't see the discrimination with the trans person. But that's just me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
While I understand why people do not like him at all, unless he gets taken to court I can't really support any "ousting" unless it is truly proven.

While looking at it I would said with the people making claims, I still don't think it is right to 100% axe him when that kind of stuff happens to teachers and students at colleges even when they are proven innocent.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I'm just gonna tell you this for your own benefit. If you're not a victim of any kind of sexual assault or harassment, none of those victims give a **** what you think about what they should do.
Riveting tale, chap

Whether or not they care doesn't actually absolve them of responsibility. Nice try. Now go slam your penis with a different door.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
People telling alex to kill himself aren't much better.
How? There are tons of people that need to kill themselves. Such as George W Bush for getting US into a war killing thousands of US Citizens and pissing off the rest of the world while he was at it and violating the United Nations and O.J. Simpson for killing a person and getting away with it and lying. Greedy pieces of **** like Alex Strife who think he can get away with hurting people's lives with harrasment, bullying, and lying which is something that will haunt people for the rest of their life. This stuff isn't acceptable. They are disgraceful human beings that shouldn't be on this earth any more.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
For those of y'all who are suggesting he should kill himself are even worse than him. Think twice before y'all say something as cold blooded as that. He's still a human being, for crying out loud.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
A human beings with both male and female parts or a gender identity that doesn't match their gender.
That first part is incorrect -- that's a different subject altogether. A transgender individual is someone who identifies with a gender that is opposite of what they were assigned at birth.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
That first part is incorrect -- that's a different subject altogether. A transgender individual is someone who identifies with a gender that is opposite of what they were assigned at birth.
To add on to this, cis gender is when you identify with your physical gender. For example, I am physically a guy and identify as a guy. When someone has both parts, they are referred to as intersex (more commonly known as hermaphrodites, but this term is deragatory, so intersex should be used)

Being a transgender individual as people like C.M. Gomez have noted is still an incredibly rough thing to go through--it's much less accepted than being gay or bi. Trans people are often even rejected from homosexuals--which is ironic, because even though we're not in the exact same boat as trans individuals, we all have some sort of sexuality characateristic. Coming out as trans and the process of changing one's physical self (and often, identity) is incredibly tough, and while some qualities of coming out as trans and coming out as gay are shared, they are not similar and difficult in different ways. This is 2015, that person is not harming anyone else except maybe your ego and worry you yourself might be gay. Jesus

There is a need for proof in these claims. I myself know a person who Strife used to harass, and I am sure others harassed could screencap their conversations with Strife.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
How? There are tons of people that need to kill themselves. Such as George W Bush for getting US into a war killing thousands of US Citizens and pissing off the rest of the world while he was at it and violating the United Nations and O.J. Simpson for killing a person and getting away with it and lying. Greedy pieces of **** like Alex Strife who think he can get away with hurting people's lives with harrasment, bullying, and lying which is something that will haunt people for the rest of their life. This stuff isn't acceptable. They are disgraceful human beings that shouldn't be on this earth any more.
That's really not right.

People make mistakes, and who is to say something might change on that front?

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Riveting tale, chap

Whether or not they care doesn't actually absolve them of responsibility. Nice try. Now go slam your penis with a different door.
Honestly dude, it's not your debate to have. admit you know nothing about the problem, and that you have no idea how hard it would be to come forward to the media about sexual abuse and focus your gibberish towards something else.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

But seriously, the dude should be in jail for all intents and purposes by this point. Got some nerve trying to come back to where he isn't wanted.

D

Deleted member

While I understand why people do not like him at all, unless he gets taken to court I can't really support any "ousting" unless it is truly proven.

While looking at it I would said with the people making claims, I still don't think it is right to 100% axe him when that kind of stuff happens to teachers and students at colleges even when they are proven innocent.
And by the same token, there are tons of people who get away with terrible things because the law has its limitations. Not everything is prosecutable, and even when it is, the person isn't always found guilty either because of a "lack of evidence" or corruption in the system, or if they are found guilty, they get a laughable punishment. This is when the community has a responsibility to show this person that their actions are unaccptable. It is not illegal to shun somebody from a gaming community because of their behavior.

Would you encourage your child to hug their school bully who made their life miserable just because you can't throw that bully into prison?

Last edited by a moderator:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
My question is why would he go on record saying anything? He basically called many women liars. While I don't know how bad he was nor how often. If he wasn't confronted a few times I feel this has blown up way to large for no reason.

He indirectly treated if he goes he's taking his event with him. Something to think about

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
And by the same token, there are tons of people who get away with terrible things because the law has its limitations. Not everything is prosecutable, and even when it is, the person isn't always found guilty either because of a "lack of evidence" or corruption in the system, or if they are found guilty, they get a laughable punishment. This is when the community has a responsibility to show this person that their actions are unaccptable. It is not illegal to shun somebody from a gaming community because of their behavior.

Would you encourage your child to hug their school bully who made their life miserable just because you can't throw that bully into prison?
I pretty much agree here. The Smash community should have a no nonsense stance against actions, such as what Strife had committed, especially since with Nintendo backing up the community, a lot of eyes are going to be watching us on a professional level more so than before, I'd wager.

We ought to be more like WWE: Bury the guy like how they buried Chris Benoit.

He indirectly treated if he goes he's taking his event with him. Something to think about
It's not like it's copyrighted or anything, is it? I'm sure some TO with enough money and transportation support could feasibly continue Apex without Alex, no?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

I'd rather have 10 guilty people go free than to have one innocent person be punished for something they didn't do.

That's why innocent before proven guilty is a thing. I am still more willing to side with the accused, but I am not siding with a complete oust and blacklist unless it was completely proven to be factual.

D

Deleted member

"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies to the eyes on the law (and, like I said, the law is wrong more often than it should be anyway.) A person who behaves poorly can still be shunned by the community despite not actually being convicted of anything. There is no law in existence that would force the Smash community to allow this individual to remain relevant if the majority of people believe the accusations against him.

If you act like a d-bag, you should face consequences, conviction or not. Maybe he'll think about that in the future.

What's your point? That people should ignore the accusations against him because it might affect the future of Apex?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Im not even going to give a full reply ti this but I find it funny that the certain groups of people that love to profiteer off of victim-woe-is-me garbage are now consistently harassing and publicly shaming someone they disagree with who has already had facts About him shown for the rest of us to decide Where we stand on it.

The fact that this article is on the DailyDot is all the proof I need to ignore It.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies to the eyes on the law (and, like I said, the law is wrong more often than it should be anyway.) A person who behaves poorly can still be shunned by the community despite not actually being convicted of anything. There is no law in existence that would force the Smash community to allow this individual to remain relevant if the majority of people believe the accusations against him.

If you act like a d-bag, you should face consequences, conviction or not. Maybe he'll think about that in the future.

What's your point? That people should ignore the accusations against him because it might affect the future of Apex?
No, it applies to just understanding there is more to one side here and that while he should confront the accusations more directly, I still don't know any full story outside of the people accusing him of this stuff and the chat logs.

I'm more willing to side with the people accusing him but doing a public witch hunt for him or asking him to die isn't right either unless we truly know the full context and what else was going on.

He shouldn't be involved with APEX right now, that much is certain after this PR mess and other issues not just this.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
One day I hope that the community will mature and grow to allow equal opportunity sexual harassment. So we can all make unwarranted, unwanted comments, remarks and text messages and still allow our community to flourish while we make each other feel uncomfortable.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I really hope this doesnt just become another chapter in smash drama history and that we all stilll ****ing remember this next year and dont support any events he's leading.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
It may just be having Female personality genes, but I really don't see why a male would want to identify as female if they have full male genes and attitude. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people who identify with the opposite sex are people that have some changes regarding chromosomes and don't just do it because they feel that they are not much of a man or such. There's a difference between those who actually have mental like conditions attached to being one gender or physically being both genders as opposed to someone who has neither a mental thing causing them to be the other gender or a physical one.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
That's really not right.

People make mistakes, and who is to say something might change on that front?
Mistakes? Some people don't even think about others. For example Jodi Arias who tried to stall the trial and waste millions of dollars coming up with bull**** excuses just to try and avoid the death penalty and had been involved with attempted manipulation of jury vote doesn't get the death penalty because of one juror. She tried to come up with ridiculous stuff to blame that she was forced to and ruined the legacy of a dead innocent person. Now she won't get the death penalty because some juror was violating the law in the trial. O.J. Simpson killed two people clearly and obviously, but used the 5th amendment to prevent being convicted and got away with it. Alex Strife clearly embarrassed people, hasn't apologized, and is now trying to stay prevalent within his banished career and with all the hate he clearly isn't worth coming back. It is clear that he does not care for others and only for himself as evidenced by "Financial Activites". Greedy, brainwashed fiends of the world care not for others, but themselves and are a pest to society. These people are better off dead because they really haven't contributed in any meaningful way and have done more harm than good. He's left more people susceptible to bullying and threats than he has to himself with his actions.

And Bush caused a war that killed millions and had no sympathy, no sorries, no anything; most hated president since Warren G. Harding. And his war is still affecting people's lives now that it left ISIS/ISIL to perfectly take opportunity to become prevalent because he left Abrams in the region with a poorly trained military instead of taking it back to the US all for his friends at the military-industrial complex with Haliburton. He doesn't care about others unless it helps his reputation.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It may just be having Female personality genes, but I really don't see why a male would want to identify as female if they have full male genes and attitude. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people who identify with the opposite sex are people that have some changes regarding chromosomes and don't just do it because they feel that they are not much of a man or such. There's a difference between those who actually have mental like conditions attached to being one gender or physically being both genders as opposed to someone who has neither a mental thing causing them to be the other gender or a physical one.
That all goes without saying -- my definition was putting it into layman's terms.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
While I think Alex Strife is almost certainly guilty of most things he was accused of at this point, like being a trans issue blind idiot and just a jack-ass in general.
Sexual harassment is not one of those things where you just throw out the "innocent until proven guilty" card... ESPECIALLY in a gaming community where females already struggle to be treated normally. This is a community where we just want to get together with a bunch of strangers and friends alike and play video games. Do we want to have even the slightest risk of a pedophile and sex offender to be there with potentially 14-15 year old girls on top of making every female feel unsafe to go to tournaments? Do you REALLY think that female smashers want to make it worse for themselves by "starting unneeded drama"? They're already treated extremely differently (for better or for worse) regardless.

What would Nintendo's involvement have to do with removing a legitimate threat to part of our community from tournaments? I don't give a **** if Nintendo is trying to hush-hush the issue. My female friends are seriously threatened by this person that is refusing to comment on the issue aside from calling them liars. Nintendo's involvement doesn't change that in the slightest.

Also, if there is even the slightest chance of Alex Strife being involved with Apex in any way, shape, or form, then it definitely needs to be boycotted to the point where it just isn't a thing anymore. Shouldn't be that hard considering the fact that Apex 2015 was one of the worst nationals yet (thanks to him).
I think you're insane if you think we should actually throw "innocent until proven guilty" out the window just because it involves a girl in possible danger, especially in the face of the fairly recent chain of false **** accusations that blew up just because of that line of thinking and people immediately siding with the more emotional side instead thinking logically first.
Or NateWantsToFaslelyAccuseOf****Battle and MorganWant falsely accusing GCPM11 and PurpleRodri of **** just a week after that was proven false with their only piece of evidence being a screen shot of a text somebody sent to Morgan saying that GCP and Rodri said they wanted to bang her.
And really, please explain how female smashers are treated "extremely" differently in this community, both ways, and how your female friends feel legitimately threatened by one guy that isn't even involved in the community at the moment just he won't say anything.
And why do you think that being in gaming community makes girls get treated any differently than anywhere else?
(I'm not saying that there isn't a change in treatment based on gender anywhere, just what makes people think it's a gaming problem and not just an inherent internet anonymity problem.)

But going back to the start, I feel personally offended that just because there are possibly girls in danger that you want throw basic logic and a solid cornerstone of any fair, modern justice system out the window.
I never see people throw logic out the window like that for guys, so I can't help but get the impression that people only do stuff like that because have some idea that girls are too weak/naive/or just somehow more frail and less capable than guys, and thus need special protection.
And even if your friends or other female smashers you know are actually unable to defend themselves, there are better ways to help them besides removing all logic from your thought processes and acting only on emotion.
People telling alex to kill himself aren't much better.
I would have really liked to have give this a like, especially since while Alex Strife dying would appease the angry white knight lynch mob, it would also go against the current wishes of the victims, the ones who were actually directly affected by Strife's actions, who's desires in this issue, I feel matters more than the aforementioned mob.

But I won't because of your like on that close minded, transphobic post earlier.
I usually don't mind supporting people who share common ground with me on one area but have views that conflict with mine in most others, but supporting closed mindedness kinda too much for me.

Top Bottom