• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete CSP Compendium

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
A trio CSP? Literally the filthiest thing ever holy ****
Yep but I need to figure a way to make the portrait show the colors/costumes nicely, without them looking too small or whatever. Surely I can have use of some ideas.

Besides, @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 if you need help on your excel document I could lend you a hand. I made my own.

Last edited:

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Made a little research, I came up with that but that doesn't really look good overall.

I still prefer the first I made. :/

zankyou

Smash Lord

That should give you some ideas once @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 's code is fully completed (with color feedback if you push the shoulder buttons, on ALL characters).

This is amazing, even more costumes than smash 4.
This is a brilliant way to get around not being able to add more CSPs.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Depending on the execution of it, I personally think way 5 could look the best

Ray_Rages

Not even mad
Guys I can't seem to install the NES Tournament Mario and the 5 Ganon CSP's to my MnSlChr.usd correctly. Every time I start my ISO I get the black and white fuzzy CSP that Skin mentioned in an earlier post.

I've already tried renaming the files to include _9 before the extension but it didn't seem to effect it. Double checked the insertion points. It's weird because the masked Ness green CSP worked just fine despite not having the _9 in it's name. Any suggestions?

Spencecilence

Smash Rookie
Guys I can't seem to install the NES Tournament Mario and the 5 Ganon CSP's to my MnSlChr.usd correctly. Every time I start my ISO I get the black and white fuzzy CSP that Skin mentioned in an earlier post.

I've already tried renaming the files to include _9 before the extension but it didn't seem to effect it. Double checked the insertion points. It's weird because the masked Ness green CSP worked just fine despite not having the _9 in it's name. Any suggestions?
Have you tried doing other extensions like _8 or _7?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Have you guys looked into adding a few extra csps for certain characters. You cant add one for every character but just a few should be fine.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard

If you're confident you're doing things right, it might be that the file you're working with is already messed up from an earlier mistake (certainly something that can happen if you don't have the texture types in there). See if you can successfully make the change you want to a new copy of the file. If you can do that, you might need to start over with a vanilla copy of your file (or at least, a last known good copy). Alternatively, you could copy large blocks of data around your target texture from the vanilla file to your modified one, in hopes to restore the damaged parts, so you don't have to start completely over.

Also, use _9 for CSPs, not _8 or _7. The wrong type will result in the wrong encoding being used for the image and/or palette data.

Btw, is your blue Peach CSP messed up?

Ray_Rages

Not even mad
If you're confident you're doing things right, it might be that the file you're working with is already messed up from an earlier mistake (certainly something that can happen if you don't have the texture types in there). See if you can successfully make the change you want to a new copy of the file. If you can do that, you might need to start over with a vanilla copy of your file (or at least, a last known good copy). Alternatively, you could copy large blocks of data around your target texture from the vanilla file to your modified one, in hopes to restore the damaged parts, so you don't have to start completely over.

Also, use _9 for CSPs, not _8 or _7. The wrong type will result in the wrong encoding being used for the image and/or palette data.

Btw, is your blue Peach CSP messed up?
So I tested the CSP's on a vanilla ISO and it they worked fine. I'm assuming it has something to do with my 20XX file because I replicated the steps exactly. Luckily I had a backup file so I can correct the messed up CSP's. My blue Peach CSP was untouched btw.

Linnom

Smash Cadet
Ok, this is my fist time trying to change the csp, i downloaded this falcon:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
And i get this archive:

Ok, i wanna change the default image of him, i searched the file to substitute and it looks like I found the correct file:

Ok, now i opened that archive in dat texture wizard and i opened my MnSlChr.usd, i tried to change the texture and this happened:

What i did wrong

DRGN

Technowizard
Ok, this is my fist time trying to change the csp, i downloaded this falcon:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
And i get this archive:

Ok, i wanna change the default image of him, i searched the file to substitute and it looks like I found the correct file:

Ok, now i opened that archive in dat texture wizard and i opened my MnSlChr.usd, i tried to change the texture and this happened:

What i did wrong
There's a text file, 'User Guide & Info', that comes in the download for instructions. Basically:

1) What you have in the 'Placements file' field is not a file.
2) The texture's filename should have the texture type included at the end, e.g. "SNES Falcon CSP (1)_9.tpl".
3) If you're only doing one texture, you don't really need to use a placements file. You just need to specify the offset by typing " --> 11f040" after the filepath.

Linnom

Smash Cadet
There's a text file, 'User Guide & Info', that comes in the download for instructions. Basically:

1) What you have in the 'Placements file' field is not a file.
2) The texture's filename should have the texture type included at the end, e.g. "SNES Falcon CSP (1)_9.tpl".
3) If you're only doing one texture, you don't really need to use a placements file. You just need to specify the offset by typing " --> 11f040" after the filepath.
Thanks!

DRGN

Technowizard
No, there isn't as far as I know. It's fundamentally simple, but there are many tricks to doing them better (mainly specific to doing identical poses if that's what you're after). I've never written a guide just because of it requiring time, and there isn't as much demand for it. I do have some scripts that make editing for them easier, that I made last time I made CSPs, so I'll try to share those soon at least.

What part of it do you have questions on?

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
No, there isn't as far as I know. It's fundamentally simple, but there are many tricks to doing them better (mainly specific to doing identical poses if that's what you're after). I've never written a guide just because of it requiring time, and there isn't as much demand for it. I do have some scripts that make editing for them easier, that I made last time I made CSPs, so I'll try to share those soon at least.

What part of it do you have questions on?
Do you pause the game, take a screenshot the proper dimensions, then delete the background? I just wonder how you all are able to get those poses with good quality, and yeah all identical poses.

DRGN

Technowizard
Basically: Use debug mode, turn off the hud, stages, etc., so all you can see is the characters on a black background.

Find a good pose. Note the frame of the animation the character is in when they're doing it. And also use a location that you can consistently get the character into exactly, such as where they spawn or the edge of something. Use the freeze game feature so you don't have the pause screen in your screenshot, and so you can advance frames until you get to the right frame of animation

There are a couple different ways to get the camera to go into the exact same place every time. One is to use Dolphin's "Free Look" function, found in Graphics Config -> Advanced. The way that works is you can use keyboard controls to step the camera in different directions. You can also adjust how much the camera moves from each step. You can use this to get the camera to the position you want by counting how many steps you take in each direction of movement, until you get it into the correct place.

The method I came up with, which I prefer, is to set the RAM addresses for the camera's position & direction via hotkeyed scripts (one for saving positions, another for loading) while the game is playing in Debug Dolphin. That gets more complicated though. Another way you can do this is with a simple Gecko code, or by manually changing the RAM while the game is running.

Here are the addresses you need to go to to get/set all facets of the camera:
80452c6c
8045304c

You can just use a bunch of 04 codes to make a Gecko code to set your position once you have the values you need.

Important note is that this only works when the camera is in 'Free Roam' mode, by which I mean the debug mode camera where you can pan as well as zoom/rotate. The camera mode the game is in is stored in RAM here: 80452C6C It basically acts as a mode switch too, since I believe you can change that and the game will update.

After you have all your screenshots, take them into an image editor, crop them to 136x188, remove the black from around the characters, add a shadow, add a palette, and save the image as a png. Like I said, I have scripts for all the editing which I'll try to upload soon.

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
Basically: Use debug mode, turn off the hud, stages, etc., so all you can see is the characters on a black background.

Find a good pose. Note the frame of the animation the character is in when they're doing it. And also use a location that you can consistently get the character into exactly, such as where they spawn or the edge of something. Use the freeze game feature so you don't have the pause screen in your screenshot, and so you can advance frames until you get to the right frame of animation

There are a couple different ways to get the camera to go into the exact same place every time. One is to use Dolphin's "Free Look" function, found in Graphics Config -> Advanced. The way that works is you can use keyboard controls to step the camera in different directions. You can also adjust how much the camera moves from each step. You can use this to get the camera to the position you want by counting how many steps you take in each direction of movement, until you get it into the correct place.

The method I came up with, which I prefer, is to set the RAM addresses for the camera's position & direction via hotkeyed scripts (one for saving positions, another for loading) while the game is playing in Debug Dolphin. That gets more complicated though. Another way you can do this is with a simple Gecko code, or by manually changing the RAM while the game is running.

Here are the addresses you need to go to to get/set all facets of the camera:
80452c6c
8045304c

You can just use a bunch of 04 codes to make a Gecko code to set your position once you have the values you need.

Important note is that this only works when the camera is in 'Free Roam' mode, by which I mean the debug mode camera where you can pan as well as zoom/rotate. The camera mode the game is in is stored in RAM here: 80452C6C It basically acts as a mode switch too, since I believe you can change that and the game will update.

After you have all your screenshots, take them into an image editor, crop them to 136x188, remove the black from around the characters, add a shadow, add a palette, and save the image as a png. Like I said, I have scripts for all the editing which I'll try to upload soon.
Thanks thats what I wanted :) I've searched online but can't find a way to activate debug mode in dolphin on mac... I doubt it but could it be possible to edit the CSPs in 20XX for alternate costumes?

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
I doubt it but could it be possible to edit the CSPs in 20XX for alternate costumes?
There is no way to tell the game to display another CSP file by pressing L at the moment. Krvntn has the best solution imo.

DRGN

Technowizard
Hey, I totally forgot about those scripts I was going to upload! But I finally got around to doing it.

And I thought, instead of trying to write out what they do and how to use them, it would be much clearer with a video demo:

Scripts download.

They're really handy. Let me know if you have any Qs.

Doq Doq Maybe you should add these to the OP.

Saxon116 Saxon116 krvntn krvntn

Doq

Smash Lord
Hey, I totally forgot about those scripts I was going to upload! But I finally got around to doing it.

And I thought, instead of trying to write out what they do and how to use them, it would be much clearer with a video demo:

Scripts download.

Gonna use this for my project, and added to the OP.

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman

Scripts download.

Great video! I'll definitely use that.

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 do you know how I can open Dolphin's debug mode on mac?

DRGN

Technowizard
Great video! I'll definitely use that.

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 do you know how I can open Dolphin's debug mode on mac?
Googled it and found this.

But it would probably be worth it to get a Windows environment going too anyways, eventually, since that's what most of the programs here are supported by.

Even if you don't want, or can't afford, to get another physical system, you can still use Windows. Google how to dual-boot your system, and you can learn how to set up your comp so that when you turn it on, you can boot into a Mac or Windows OS (for example with this guide here). Or you could run it in an emulator (like how you can do with games), so you can have both running at the same time. The second option is a bit better suited for beefier hardware.

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
Googled it and found this.

But it would probably be worth it to get a Windows environment going too anyways, eventually, since that's what most of the programs here are supported by.

Even if you don't want, or can't afford, to get another physical system, you can still use Windows. Google how to dual-boot your system, and you can learn how to set up your comp so that when you turn it on, you can boot into a Mac or Windows OS (for example with this guide here). Or you could run it in an emulator (like how you can do with games), so you can have both running at the same time. The second option is a bit better suited for beefier hardware.
Thanks it worked! I know I can dual boot it, but wine (pc emulator) actually works fine with the DTW/gcr/melee toolkit. I am planning on getting a windows 10 laptop later on though.

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 shots

Last edited:

XVI

Smash Rookie
Not sure if I'm asking in the right place, but how simple would it be to change all the csp backgrounds to grey (like the cpu's)? I've seen it done in other texture hacks, but I can't figure out what the file is called or where it would be in the hex editor.

Also, is there any easy way to remove the "20XX" from the closed csp screen? I'd rather it look like the original melee menu.

Also also, this thread is amazing and the new poses are so sick.

RushSSBM

Smash Cadet
So how long does it take to make one custom CSP in the default pose, because if it doesn't take long I may take up churning them out

Last edited:

nebula_benula

Smash Cadet
It looks like this is a good thread to ask the question: how are the csp's (png)'s made? I know now how to insert them into the game, though for a lot of these you have taken from characters doing certain poses. I've tried using battlefeild for this, but its not a completely black background for which I can make transparent? If anyone has a stage where they've made the background completely black (or even better, some other way to get these screenshots with transparent backgrounds) I'd appreciate it! Thx!
EDIT: if anyone has a csp for fox's attack on titan costume, if you wouldn't mind sharing :)

Last edited:

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
It looks like this is a good thread to ask the question: how are the csp's (png)'s made? I know now how to insert them into the game, though for a lot of these you have taken from characters doing certain poses. I've tried using battlefeild for this, but its not a completely black background for which I can make transparent? If anyone has a stage where they've made the background completely black (or even better, some other way to get these screenshots with transparent backgrounds) I'd appreciate it! Thx!
EDIT: if anyone has a csp for fox's attack on titan costume, if you wouldn't mind sharing :)
Yeah I've been curious on how csp pictures are actually "taken" too, I thought that some people used some sort of gecko code to change a skin in-game or something.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yeah I've been curious on how csp pictures are actually "taken" too, I thought that some people used some sort of gecko code to change a skin in-game or something.
Play a match, take a screenshot, edit in Gimp/Photoshop.

Gecko codes to help with this process:
Code:
Every Stage has a Plain Magenta Background and No Stage Textures
04452C70 FF00FF00
04453000 00C40000

In the first line of the code, FF00FF is the RGB hex value for magenta. This can be changed to whatever you want.
-------------------

Disable Effect Textures
0405fddc 4e800020

ex. Falcon Punch fire eagle, landing cloud poof, Spacies shine (although this isn't technically a texture), etc.
-------------------------
Disable Color Overlays
040bffd0 4e800020

ex. Spacies bodies turn blue during shine

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
This is really awesome. Do you plan on doing the rest of the cast too?
It's possible. I have about 10 characters done at the moment. It's pretty time consuming and I usually do them when I'm bored but I've finished the more commonly used part of the cast. It's also kinda hard to justify making CSPs for characters without any notable costumes.

Top Bottom