• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Competitive Community

D20

Smash Lord
Dear everyone,

First, I need to apologize for the way this thread went. I intended it to be one thing, and it became another. This was not supposed to be another Melee vs. Brawl thread, but because of my poor wording and personal opinions, it became just that. However, I recognized my mistakes and decided to admit them and correct them. So, if you'll give me another chance, I'd like to make sure my real message is heard.

As all of us know, the community is split over Brawl and Melee. I have always supported Melee, but that really doesn't matter in the context of this post because I support the competitive community over both games. What is the competitive community? It is a world-wide group of smashers that work toward pushing the games' limits, setting up tournaments with a standard set of rules, and making friends. At this point, I'd like to quote PC on something he said earlier in this thread because it probably was overlooked...

P.c. Chris said:
I miss melee like a lot of other people and with good reason. I've played melee since the American release . I've made over $25,000 from melee tournaments, met some of my best friends from tournaments and even a girlfriend and some point LOL. Got to travel all over the US cuz of melee. I love the game itself and the community and the opportunities the game opened for me. Even with all of that i think we should give brawl a chance. I think it can be competitive. I've got that passion again to get good like i did in melee when i was fairly new. I love learning new things and right now brawl just interests me a lot.
I think PC did an excellent job of showcasing why our competitive community was such a great thing. Our problem is keeping the community alive. It seems clear that not too many of the new guys here will be joining the community to play Melee. On the other hand, will many be joining the community to play Brawl? Although smashboards has seemingly tripled in size lately, it doesn't seem like the IRL competitive community is growing much... and that is sad. Nintendo's garbage excuse for an online system looks like it could be the community's biggest threat to continued growth. People would rather sit in their basements, play against n00bs, and deal with 30 frames of lag then to travel a little bit to play with the community. Online tournaments are an absolute joke, too... but I'll save that for another thread.

Anyhow, I'm inviting all the new guys to the boards to visit your respective regional threads and get involved. Find some quality smashers in your area, go to a real local tournament (not some Gamestop BS), and make some friends. I'm sure most of your local smashers will be more than happy to play with you, talk with you, and show you the ropes. Additionally, they probably will be playing both Brawl and Melee at this point... so whatever game you are here for, you'll have some competition.

Once again, I'm sorry for the mess that this thread became... but at least I made the effort to clean it up. I hope you guys heard me out, and I'll see you at the tournament.

much love,
D20

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Round 67,875 of the flame wars begins......NOW!

Seriously... what in the crap were you thinking making this thread? YOU ARE GOING TO BRING THE FIRE!

D20

Smash Lord

Seriously... what in the crap were you thinking making this thread? YOU ARE GOING TO BRING THE FIRE!
Well, it's a good thing I have my Super Soaker 500.

Seriously... there is no reason I should even need it. All I did was ask people to give the current competitive community a chance; I did not even ask for responses. My questiones for you are: Do you visit the regional threads ever? Do you ever attend real tournaments? Do you play with many other smashers on this site in real life? If any of your answers are "no", then how can you pass judgement?

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion

Even though I see no real need to flame this thread, it's gonna happen anyways.

Also, D20, your sig annoys the crap out of me.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Something tells me that part of the big appeal of Brawl is so that newcomers don't have to travel in order to play other people...they can just play online, lacking as it may be.

D20

Smash Lord
Lixivium said:
Something tells me that part of the big appeal of Brawl is so that newcomers don't have to travel in order to play other people...they can just play online, lacking as it may be.
You are right. I was excited to play online, too. Unfortunately, it was a miserable experience.

Vet said:
D20, Melee MM 100 dollars.
Please tell me what this has to do with anything?

Eggm

Smash Hero
In a perfect world this would be an amazing post. Although.. if like even 1-2 joined 2008 smahsboards newbs do this, it was worth it. :) Vet i"ll take that 100$ MM anytime, let me know.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Dear everyone,

I know that many of you have come to smashboards recently. You have probably come with the intention of learning about Brawl and how to become the best at it. You probably figured you would have a fresh start with a competitive game and figured you would be able to make a name for yourself in the community. Well, there is one glaring problem. Brawl is not competitive. I'm sorry to tell you that, but it is the Mario Party of 2D fighters. For all of you that have said "Brawl is not Melee 2.0, get over it", I say to you "Brawl has no competitive future, get over it". We can argue about this all we want, but it isn't going to change Brawl's gameplay.

So, I have an offer for you - join us. The truth is that the Melee community is dying, and it needs your help. If you want to play a competitive game, go to the regional forums right now and find your region. Look for some people that play competitive Melee in your area and go a local tournament. You don't even need to enter... just meet the smashers, hang out with them, talk to them, and play with them. I can't prove to any of you that Melee is superior to Brawl with words... you need to experience the game and the community for yourself.

Here's the best part for you new guys. Most hardcore Melee players play Brawl, too. They may play it for fun, but they still play it. If you want some real competition in Brawl with no online lag, they'll give it you. I'm 100% sure that any Melee player worth his salt will give you all you can handle and more... prove me wrong. Nintendo's Wifi gives you no idea of what competition means. Play some quality players in real life, make some friends, and have some fun.

I'm not asking you to choose Melee over Brawl (although I hope you will), I'm asking you to put faith in the competitive community and experience it.

much love,
D20
I hate you so much right now, but don't worry its not your fault I promise you.

But seriously, why do all of you people feel that it's nessesary to keep making thread like these...over and over and over and over? We get the picture already; you like melee better for some strange reason which I'll never understand, but threads like these are not getting us anywhere and, in fact, they're annoying the people who like brawl more.

I mean, do you see every person who likes brawl more going over to the melee forums and spamming threads that tell you to play brawl? Im just gonna answer that for you; no

Im sorry the melee competitive scene is dying, I really am, I used to be a part of it, going to every tournament I could, but there is NO way that I am gonna switch back to melee after playing brawl for 3 weeks, it doesnt even make sense. Brawl is so much more fun

And Im also sorry that you cant see Brawl's competitive side, but hey, I've met a ton of people in my day who couldn't see melee's competitive side and it was because they were not good at the game

so STOP MAKING THESE THREADS :):):):):):(:(:urg::bee:

Ichida

Smash Ace
Brawl is not competitive. I'm sorry to tell you that, but it is the Mario Party of 2D fighters. For all of you that have said "Brawl is not Melee 2.0, get over it", I say to you "Brawl has no competitive future, get over it". We can argue about this all we want, but it isn't going to change Brawl's gameplay.
I've never seen something typed fail so epicly. XDD

So, I have an offer for you - join us. The truth is that the Melee community is dying, and it needs your help.
JOIN US! Jooooin us... We'll give you GOLD!

For **** sake, people...

I can't prove to any of you that Melee is superior to Brawl with words... you need to experience the game and the community for yourself.
Did. Done. Died. Deal.

Here's the best part for you new guys. Most hardcore Melee players play Brawl, too.
And this matters why?

I'm not asking you to choose Melee over Brawl (although I hope you will),
I've never seen someone contradict himself with such sharpshooter accuracy. XD

D20

Smash Lord
EternalCrusade and Ichida, I'm not going to argue with you. I was going to respond, but then I realized something... who are you?

So, if you want to play competitively, you have to travel to real life tournaments... period. I guess you'll just be sitting at home playing over Nintendo WiFi with 30 frames of lag against total n00bs. Sorry guys.

Ichida

Smash Ace
EternalCrusade and Ichida, I'm not going to argue with you. I was going to respond, but then I realized something... who are you?

So, if you want to play competitively, you have to travel to real life tournaments... period. I guess you'll just be sitting at home playing over Nintendo Wifi with 30 frames of lag against total n00bs. Sorry guys.
Wooooooow. Ouch. Want your syringe back?

Who am I? I'm that guy who finds your viewpoint hilarious. I've been to plenty of Melee tournaments, and my troupe and I play Brawl together almost semiweekly. Tournaments over Wi-fi? *raises hand*. Unlike you, I have had absolutely zero lag in Wi-Fi so far, so that argument's tossed as well. Any other cliche stock arguments you want to throw at me?

D20

Smash Lord
Wow. Ouch. Want your syringe back? Barely stung. I've been to plenty of Melee tournaments, and my troupe and I play Brawl together almost semiweekly.

Also: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=149095. Unlike you, I have had absolutely zero lag in Wi-Fi so far, so that argument's tossed. Any other cliche stock arguments you want to throw at me?
Sure... what tournaments? Let me see some brackets.

Also, you say that you "and yout troupe" play Brawl often? Who are you playing against? You can play Brawl for 50 hours a week, but it isn't going to make you better unless you are playing against quality players. I'd rather play for 10 minutes against someone like Drephen than for 10 hours against MarthRocks64.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Well sorry to say this D20, but basically the public has spoken on how they think of brawl(despite melee being better). So why not just focus on brawl now, because to be honest, soon the melee crowd will end up like the 64 one.

D20

Smash Lord
Well sorry to say this D20, but basically the public has spoken on how they think of brawl(despite melee being better). So why not just focus on brawl now, because to be honest, soon the melee crowd will end up like the 64 one.
You are right. I really can't disagree with you. However, forget the Melee crowd... what is going to happen to the competitive crowd? While I have no love for Brawl at the moment, I wouldn't mind traveling to some real Brawl tournaments. For that to happen though, there have to actually be Brawl tournaments. It looks like people are going to hide behind Nintendo's garbage online system and never experience real competition.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Sure... what tournaments? Let me see some brackets.
Like I care enough to record any of that information? I played tournaments at local anime conventions year to year.

Also, you say that you "and yout troupe" play Brawl often? Who are you playing against? You can play Brawl for 50 hours a week, but it isn't going to make you better unless you are playing against quality players. I'd rather play for 10 minutes against someone like Drephen than for 10 hours against MarthRocks64.
I don't need to validate myself through who I play against. Like I said, I don't care enough to get the names of tourney opponents. Whoever I come up against, I'll fight with all my ability.

D20 said:
You are right. I really can't disagree with you. However, forget the Melee crowd... what is going to happen to the competitive crowd? While I have no love for Brawl at the moment, I wouldn't mind traveling to some real Brawl tournaments. For that to happen though, there have to actually be Brawl tournaments. It looks like people are going to hide behind Nintendo's garbage online system and never experience real competition.
Are you really that ignorant? Of course there's going to be local Brawl tournaments to supplement the online ones. As I said earlier, I play at anime conventions. I'm confident that every anime convention for the next few years will be hosting at least one Brawl event. Why not take your own advice and look up the regional areas, and see how many of them are doing Brawl events?

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Praise D20! He will protect us against the evil Brawl players and bring Melee to the children of Miyamoto! He sacrificed his reputation for our sins (i.e. playing Brawl), he deserves our worship!

:/

Ichida

Smash Ace
Praise D20! He will protect us against the evil Brawl players and bring Melee to the children of Miyamoto! He sacrificed his reputation for our sins (i.e. playing Brawl), he deserves our worship!

:/
Bow before Melee Jesus. XDDD

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Well right now they are experimenting with special rules to see how to change brawls little camp issue, so give it some time, sooner or later it will get better somehow(hopefully, just remember, melee's current deepness wasn't there till later.) . About the online, it seems like a double edged sword, you will have a more mature audience at the location tournaments due to the kiddies sticking to Wifi, but you'll have less people at them. About the competitive crowd, they more than likely will either A, stick to melee, B, move on, or the dreaded C, drop out of the competitive scene, making us lose more members.

D20

Smash Lord
Like I care enough to record any of that information? I played tournaments at local anime conventions year to year.

I don't need to validate myself through who I play against. Like I said, I don't care enough to get the names of tourney opponents. Whoever I come up against, I'll fight with all my ability.

Are you really that ignorant? Of course there's going to be local Brawl tournaments to supplement the online ones. As I said earlier, I play at anime conventions. I'm confident that every anime convention for the next few years will be hosting at least one Brawl event. Why not take your own advice and look up the regional areas, and see how many of them are doing Brawl events?
Ok, I'm done with you. You've never been to a real tournament. Anime conventions have tournaments with a bunch of scrubs that know nothing about the competitive aspect of the games. I'm fairly sure a one armed monkey could compete with the people at anime conventions.

Yes, I have looked at the regional threads for Brawl tournaments... there aren't many. Nobody wants to put money on a game that is not entirely skill based.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Hell yeah D20! I've given Brawl a chance. I've given it this whole month actually and I'm not impressed at all so I'm goin back to Melee. It's sad to see that people are still stuck in this fanboyism and just won't give the game up. If you're a casual and you enjoy the newness of Brawl, that's cool. But to call yourself a competitor and enjoy this game, that's just messed up. I guess if you enjoy bein spoon fed it isn't that much of a problem =/, whateva.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Hell yeah D20! I've given Brawl a chance. I've given it this whole month actually and I'm not impressed at all so I'm goin back to Melee. It's sad to see that people are still stuck in this fanboyism and just won't give the game up. If you're a casual and you enjoy the newness of Brawl, that's cool. But to call yourself a competitor and enjoy this game, that's just messed up. I guess if you enjoy bein spoon fed it isn't that much of a problem =/, whateva.
You're a moron. kthxbi

Ichida

Smash Ace
Ok, I'm done with you. You've never been to a real tournament. Anime conventions have tournaments with a bunch of scrubs that know nothing about the competitive aspect of the games. I'm fairly sure a one armed monkey could compete with the people at anime conventions.
What kind of ****ty conventions have YOU been to? I've been to Anime North and Otakon, which are both meccas for intense gamers. I've seen my share of high-skill Melee matches.

...wait a minute... XDD... I just remembered that I don't need your **** approval. Your main argument's already burned to the ground. If anything, I'M done with YOU.

shanus

Smash Hero

Yes, I have looked at the regional threads for Brawl tournaments... there aren't many. Nobody wants to put money on a game that is not entirely skill based.
D20, while I agree with you on melee being a better game, its a losing battle you are facing here. Melee will suffer the same fate of 64 and be phased out.

I know you don't truly love wifi, but I suggest you try out #smashworld at irc.us.gamesurge.net A lot of us there are former competitive melee players or top ranked players at gamebattles and you will not be short of at least "good" competition online to hold you over till the tournament scene picks up (which seems to be coming way too slowly :-( )

takieddine

Smash Master
Wrong, there are plenty of OLD tournament fighting games that still have a solid community backing behind them. The difference is that people know what a better competitive game constitues (I.E. SF community, and the MVC communities).

People here are just hyped up about nothing. there I said it. I'd be happy to discuss how in 1 million ways melee is a better COMPETITIVE game than brawl. Besides the obvious graphics/characters that is used to attract many casual players.

Remember this is a discussion about how the game is better competitively, and not to try to force this playstyle that tournament goers use.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Wow, that doesn't even deserve a facepalm. You don't even know me. Why are you being an *******?
Uh you're the one who started it. If you didn't like what I said to begin with, for one thing it coulda been replied back with somethin like, "I don't agree with what you said" or the more simple of the two and don't respond at all.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman

So, if you want to play competitively, you have to travel to real life tournaments... period. I guess you'll just be sitting at home playing over Nintendo WiFi with 30 frames of lag against total n00bs. Sorry guys.
Who am I? Really? Im EternalCrusade, Meta Knight main and rank 28 on smash brawl rankings. So who are you?

And I already said that I go to every tournament I can (as in every real life tournament). I used to go to melee tournaments but now I go to Brawl tournaments.

takieddine

Smash Master
What kind of ****ty conventions have YOU been to? I've been to Anime North and Otakon, which are both meccas for intense gamers. I've seen my share of high-skill Melee matches.

...wait a minute... XDD... I just remembered that I don't need your **** approval. Your main argument's already burned to the ground. If anything, I'M done with YOU.
Truth is, if you want the best melee tournaments you go to actual tournaments, not side events held in an anime convention. and yes I DO guarantee you the competition there isnt as hard as it would be for say (pound2, 3) both of which D20, and I have attended. But the point isnt who is better (you or D20) its that D20 MOST LIKELY knows the competitive scene better than you do. Its hard for someone who cannot see the application of many of the game's "glitches" to see how much deeper the game goes.

takieddine

Smash Master
Who am I? Really? Im EternalCrusade, Meta Knight main and rank 28 on smash brawl rankings. So who are you?

And I already said that I go to every tournament I can (as in every real life tournament). I used to go to melee tournaments but now I go to Brawl tournaments.
Double post but whatever.

So you're the great ETERNAL CRUSADE huh? how much do you know about melee really? what noteable opponents have you beaten? have you placed in any high-ranking tournaments (for melee)?

Skler

Smash Master

Congratulations, you're good at beating people in games with a half second delay. How well do you do in those real tournaments (please tell me you mean tournaments with good players, not gamestop tournaments).

D20 made a good post asking people to CONSIDER going to a melee tournament and seeing what the fuss is about. Then tons of idiots came in and flamed him for asking people to check out competitive melee.

I look forward to beating everyone who says Brawl is a good competitive game by camping, none of you stand a chance unless you do the same. While I'd much rather play Melee and find out who's the better player, I'll play Brawl tournaments (along with Melee ones) until people realize Melee is a far better tournament game.

Top Bottom