• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Competitive Community

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Hmm well I don't feel like what I said was moronic, it was a straight forward truth about how people don't see the flaws in Brawl just because it's new. I don't know if it's ever occurred to you but there are people out there that can spot flaws in games the day it comes out and yes there are flaws in Melee but the flaws in Brawl in what we have set as competitive standards outweigh the flaws in Melee. I gave Brawl a chance like so many people say but I just didn't like it. I have a lot of fun with Brawl but not as much fun as I do with Melee and that's somethin that won't change. I was called a moron for it and I didn't appreciate it so I fought back it's only natural but you apologized and I respect you for that so I am sorry as well.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Double post but whatever.

So you're the great ETERNAL CRUSADE huh? how much do you know about melee really? what noteable opponents have you beaten? have you placed in any high-ranking tournaments (for melee)?
I don’t know why you felt the need to bud into our converstation but I knew somebody would like this

I know a lot about melee, more than I needed to know, and I always made at least top 10 at all the tournaments I went to. But thats all over with now, Im not trying to make a name for myself in melee anymore, Im getting pro in brawl

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations, you're good at beating people in games with a half second delay. How well do you do in those real tournaments (please tell me you mean tournaments with good players, not gamestop tournaments).

D20 made a good post asking people to CONSIDER going to a melee tournament and seeing what the fuss is about. Then tons of idiots came in and flamed him for asking people to check out competitive melee.

I look forward to beating everyone who says Brawl is a good competitive game by camping, none of you stand a chance unless you do the same. While I'd much rather play Melee and find out who's the better player, I'll play Brawl tournaments (along with Melee ones) until people realize Melee is a far better tournament game.
double post, but people will live, sorry though :)

again, thanks for budding in and challenging my skills. I've already stated that I go to every real life tournament I can, I've been to more melee tournaments than I can remember. and we always do a lag test before ranked matches, and we only play if the connection is good and we both agree. and that last thing you said is just not gonna happen, trust me

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Who am I? Really? Im EternalCrusade, Meta Knight main and rank 28 on smash brawl rankings. So who are you?

And I already said that I go to every tournament I can (as in every real life tournament). I used to go to melee tournaments but now I go to Brawl tournaments.
Being ranked 28 in an obscure Brawl ranking system is nothing to be proud about. I just wish that Brawl hadn't brought upon hundreds of new players that overestimate their skill. Where's the humility?

It probably went out with Melee.

takieddine

Smash Master
double post, but people will live, sorry though :)

again, thanks for budding in and challenging my skills. I've already stated that I go to every real life tournament I can, I've been to more melee tournaments than I can remember. and we always do a lag test before ranked matches, and we only play if the connection is good and we both agree. and that last thing you said is just not gonna happen, trust me
If you want to impress us with your knowledge about melee, start naming some tournaments, and players that you played. Possibly link some videos where you are playing. Placing top 10 at every melee tournament that you ever went to means nothing, if those tournaments are full of obscure and easy to beat players.

Also im not budding in, this is a public forum and you placed your opinon. I'm trying to prove you wrong, because I disagree.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Being ranked 28 in an obscure Brawl ranking system is nothing to be proud about. I just wish that Brawl hadn't brought upon hundreds of new players that overestimate their skill. Where's the humility?

It probably went out with Melee.
I don't understand why my post brought up so much controversy

1. I wasn't bragging, someone ELSE asked me who I was, so I answered, you know, in case he ever wants to look me up thats where I am on the leaderboard...28

2. I have seen very few modest melee players

3. smash brawl rankings is not obscure or innacurate, there are many respected players on there

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
I miss melee like a lot of other people and with good reason. I've played melee since the American release . I've made over $25,000 from melee tournaments, met some of my best friends from tournaments and even a girlfriend and some point LOL. Got to travel all over the US cuz of melee. I love the game itself and the community and the opportunities the game opened for me. Even with all of that i think we should give brawl a chance. I think it can be competitive. I've got that passion again to get good like i did in melee when i was fairly new. I love learning new things and right now brawl just interests me a lot. Also it's a lot of fun crushing noobs in this game because they think they have a chance vs some of the pro's in melee but they don't :laugh:.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
If you want to impress us with your knowledge about melee, start naming some tournaments, and players that you played. Possibly link some videos where you are playing. Placing top 10 at every melee tournament that you ever went to means nothing, if those tournaments are full of obscure and easy to beat players.

Also im not budding in, this is a public forum and you placed your opinon. I'm trying to prove you wrong, because I disagree.
it seems like everyone only reads the parts of my posts that they want to read

again...I DONT want to impress everyone with my knowledge of melee, Im past that

Frames

DI
Yes, because a Wi-fi FFA is EXACTLY LIKE MLG. Seriously, if you had shown videos of a major brawl tournament, maybe, but either way what does this have to do with being competitive. If you had said "I wonder which one is faster", or "I wonder which one has better tournaments", that would've been one thing, but comparing wi-fi brawl to a major melee tournament is like saying a hot dog is based on sirloin steak.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Eternal, don't take the flame-bait! Don't!! :laugh: In all seriousness, though, it's not going to matter what you say. A lot of people on SWF are like this: they say you know nothing about Melee, you say you do, they say 'Prove it'. Even if you pull out tournament wins, like what's happening above, they'll keep changing the requirements of what it means to be 'knowledgable' mid-game until, in order to know anything about Melee/Brawl, you have to have gone to this particular tournament and played M2K or Azen or whoever the hell they want to use for their argument; if you haven't met ALL of their custom specifications, well... you don't know anything, so there.

Just be content in the knowledge that you know that you have skill and knowledge about the game, and don't feel you need to pander to these, frankly, a**holes.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Neither Crusade nor Ichida have ever been to a REAL melee tournament.

that's all.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Eternal, don't take the flame-bait! Don't!! :laugh: In all seriousness, though, it's not going to matter what you say. A lot of people on SWF are like this: they say you know nothing about Melee, you say you do, they say 'Prove it'. Even if you pull out tournament wins, like what's happening above, they'll keep changing the requirements of what it means to be 'knowledgable' mid-game until, in order to know anything about Melee/Brawl, you have to have gone to this particular tournament and played M2K or Azen or whoever the hell they want to use for their argument; if you haven't met ALL of their custom specifications, well... you don't know anything, so there.

Just be content in the knowledge that you know that you have skill and knowledge about the game, and don't feel you need to pander to these, frankly, a**holes.
you absolutely right man thanks, Im done talking to these people

takieddine

Smash Master
it seems like everyone only reads the parts of my posts that they want to read

again...I DONT want to impress everyone with my knowledge of melee, Im past that
So how do you expect to make you r points if your posts about melee being an inferior competitive game than brawl are completely unfounded?

You have still yet to name a specific tournament/ players you beat. I've explained before, its not about checking how good you are its about if you know enough about the competitive community and the game itself to talk about whats wrong with it.

All im saying is that Sakurai never intended the series to be competitive. Melee just happened to have the right mistakes that made it into a good competitive game. Sakurai removed all competitiveness and reduced brawl to a party game, which is where it should stay.

tarmacker

Smash Journeyman
Yes, because a Wi-fi FFA is EXACTLY LIKE MLG. Seriously, if you had shown videos of a major brawl tournament, maybe, but either way what does this have to do with being competitive. If you had said "I wonder which one is faster", or "I wonder which one has better tournaments", that would've been one thing, but comparing wi-fi brawl to a major melee tournament is like saying a hot dog is based on sirloin steak.
You really can't see that Brawl is less competitive then Melee from the gameplay any gameplay? I don't care if its someone who picks up the game for the first time or the top Brawl players (although they really haven't been established since its been out for a month). I love brawl, I really do. I'm not going to say I'm only going to play Melee because I'm not. Brawl is a lot of fun to play I enjoy playing with my friends but when we have a serious single player match all it comes down to is camp fest 2008. The nature of the game is a lot different and more beneficial to characters that camp, maybe completive isn't the word I should have used but more exciting.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Flame bait?

I have no problem with people that like Brawl over Melee. It's just that I'm disheartened at how many people brag about beating some kids over WiFi.

AgGun

Smash Cadet
i just have this to say, aernt we and we should be entitled to our own opinions and ideas, i mean if one group of people thinks that brawl is competitive and better than melle while some think that melle is better and brawl is not competitive and both people should be entitled to there belif and let alone, all making threads like this does is start fights we should have opinions of our own and leave it at that.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
How about this food-for-thought. In comparison to top players/regular tournament players, I suck at the technical aspects of Melee. I can't think or move fast enough, in all honesty, to be a REALLY serious contender. So, I don't win tournaments. But I know by heart how you should react in any given situation. I'm a Smash philosopher, basically; I know the concepts, but don't apply them. By all of your logic, I can have as much knowledge about the game as I want, but if I don't get a tournament win, ****it, I can't POSSIBLY know anything.

I admit I can't play Melee well, but I can theorize like a pro because I know the mechanics in place. Oh, but sorry, that doesn't matter because I haven't won a tournament. I've seen them. I've watched pro matches by the truckload. I know the tournament community pretty well. But darn, no wins under my belt, so I must be an idiot and have no right to discuss anything.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
i am a firm believer in the melee>brawl theory. it is far more competitive and way better for testing your skills in the community. this is more a personal choice so everyone needs to stop flaming. if you enjoy a competitive fast paced precision button mashing intensive gameplay experience than join D20 and my self( you have my vote D20) and help save the competitive melee community. if you prefer to just play and have fun in a less competitive based game play brawl. stop trying to convince others to play like you and just choose for yourself. i personally love brawl and will continue to play it with friends for fun and be as good as possible with the restraints in a non-competitive game, but i will never stop playing melee competitively. seriously people choose for yourself and let your decision speak for itself.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
How about this food-for-thought. In comparison to top players/regular tournament players, I suck at the technical aspects of Melee. I can't think or move fast enough, in all honesty, to be a REALLY serious contender. So, I don't win tournaments. But I know by heart how you should react in any given situation. I'm a Smash philosopher, basically; I know the concepts, but don't apply them. By all of your logic, I can have as much knowledge about the game as I want, but if I don't get a tournament win, ****it, I can't POSSIBLY know anything.

I admit I can't play Melee well, but I can theorize like a pro because I know the mechanics in place. Oh, but sorry, that doesn't matter because I haven't won a tournament. I've seen them. I've watched pro matches by the truckload. I know the tournament community pretty well. But darn, no wins under my belt, so I must be an idiot and have no right to discuss anything.
sorry for the DP, but ^^^^^he is right, you can be very knowledgeable about the game, and not perform well. some people just don't have the skill/patience for quick finger games. that doesn't make them any less intelligent about the game.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Neither Crusade nor Ichida have ever been to a REAL melee tournament.

that's all.
And **** well proud of it. Last thing I would want is to have become a cocky and overly complacent Melee'er who couldn't see Brawl for what it is: its own game with its own flow and its own tactics rather than what you all see it as. I'm glad I'm not one of you. In summation, this thread is yet another chunky, Melee-flavored portion of the daily SmashBoards failure cake. Enjoy your cake; I'll be over there with those not too in denial to adapt to a metagame devoid of wavedashing.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
The problem is not having knowledge and bein good at the game, it's about making these allegations about Melee and not having any proof. You say you've been to many tournies and know enough about the game to downplay it, if that's the case then proove it by factual statements not just **** that you're blowing out of your ***. Whether or not it's true instead of lookin like an idiot and sayin all of these things prove it and show us that we were wrong. And making the excuse that you've put it past you or you don't have to go out of your way to explain us just really proves that you don't have any factual information at all.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on my couch playing Brawl today, I realized that it sucks. Don't get me wrong, Brawl is probably the best game ever made in terms of fun. However, I can't see it going anywhere competitive for any other reason than the massive popularity. Playing against my drunken roommate, I realized that he was hitting me. But in Melee, I had tech skill that could make sure that he doesn't make a random Marth Fsmash work. This is because of the incredible metagame that Melee has. Also, if you haven't experienced the metagame of Melee, you really don't have an argument against Melee.

Here comes the brawl anchovies and their ad hominem arguments.

Newskool

Smash Cadet
I know that many of you have come to smashboards recently. You have probably come with the intention of learning about Brawl and how to become the best at it. You probably figured you would have a fresh start with a competitive game and figured you would be able to make a name for yourself in the community. Well, there is one glaring problem. Brawl is not competitive. I'm sorry to tell you that, but it is the Mario Party of 2D fighters. For all of you that have said "Brawl is not Melee 2.0, get over it", I say to you "Brawl has no competitive future, get over it". We can argue about this all we want, but it isn't going to change Brawl's gameplay.
Brawl is competitive. Melee is for people who can't evolve. You suck at life and everything.

(See, I can make unsupported claims, too!)

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Haha, the funny thing about these threads is that it isn't the pro-melee arguments do way less to prove that brawl is going to lack a competitive future, it's the people posting "lol XD epic fail i go to anime con tournaments and am so awesome at online brawl. i don't know a **** thing about competitive games, let alone competitive smash, but brawl is totally a new game and therefore i can just blindly repeat that by being a new game brawl should be immune to criticism!1"

Go back to 4chan please and keep your ignorant **** out of smashboards. It doesn't ****ing matter if brawl is a new game with it's own different pacing/whatever if the game lacks competitive potential. I could almost stick it out because I've met some of my best friends in the smash community, but the community aspect of it's going to hell too, thanks to people like you ichida.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
ad hominem arguments...

The point is that Brawl takes so much less skill to be good at than Melee. IMO, that means less depth and thus, less competitive.

Going way back, heres the reason why we're asking who you beat. I went to a tourney in Ohio, which had some pgh players and Vidjo. I got 5th. How? Pgh beats me consistently. I got a scrub bracket, that's how. When I finally faced a descent Ohio player, and then Swiftbass, I got knocked out easily. But I'm more proud of the fact that I was able to kill Azen twice at C3. Does that make a name for me? **** no! But it has more weight than placing 5th at some no name tourney.

C.Y.

Smash Rookie
Dear everyone,

I know that many of you have come to smashboards recently. You have probably come with the intention of learning about Brawl and how to become the best at it. You probably figured you would have a fresh start with a competitive game and figured you would be able to make a name for yourself in the community. Well, there is one glaring problem. Brawl is not competitive. I'm sorry to tell you that, but it is the Mario Party of 2D fighters. For all of you that have said "Brawl is not Melee 2.0, get over it", I say to you "Brawl has no competitive future, get over it". We can argue about this all we want, but it isn't going to change Brawl's gameplay.

So, I have an offer for you - join us. The truth is that the Melee community is dying, and it needs your help. If you want to play a competitive game, go to the regional forums right now and find your region. Look for some people that play competitive Melee in your area and go a local tournament. You don't even need to enter... just meet the smashers, hang out with them, talk to them, and play with them. I can't prove to any of you that Melee is superior to Brawl with words... you need to experience the game and the community for yourself.

Here's the best part for you new guys. Most hardcore Melee players play Brawl, too. They may play it for fun, but they still play it. If you want some real competition in Brawl with no online lag, they'll give it you. I'm 100% sure that any Melee player worth his salt will give you all you can handle and more... prove me wrong. Nintendo's Wifi gives you no idea of what competition means. Play some quality players in real life, make some friends, and have some fun.

I'm not asking you to choose Melee over Brawl (although I hope you will), I'm asking you to put faith in the competitive community and experience it.

much love,
D20
no one cares. melee is dying, but have fun playing that game. me, i'll play brawl for FUN, and not worry about being the best player in the world.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah in reality this is a tired argument and is just a repetition of about 400x threads that already exist

let people play what they want to play

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Hmm well I don't feel like what I said was moronic, it was a straight forward truth about how people don't see the flaws in Brawl just because it's new. I don't know if it's ever occurred to you but there are people out there that can spot flaws in games the day it comes out and yes there are flaws in Melee but the flaws in Brawl in what we have set as competitive standards outweigh the flaws in Melee. I gave Brawl a chance like so many people say but I just didn't like it. I have a lot of fun with Brawl but not as much fun as I do with Melee and that's somethin that won't change. I was called a moron for it and I didn't appreciate it so I fought back it's only natural but you apologized and I respect you for that so I am sorry as well.
Wow, thanks for the respectful reply. I never expected anything like that on here.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
C.Y actually the reason why brawl threads have had these wars for like the past 3 month is because "ppl do care". Your post was a waste of space and if u play this for fun dont post here go get 3 of ur friends and have a item , flower, stamina freeforall somewhere.

D20 did a nice job of being nice about it.

newf@gs, brawl is NOT a competitive game, when the rest of the real community is tired of having 13min DDD dittos on FD we'll all be playing melee again and it we'll officially let you f@gs take it for "competitive purposes". its a fun game and I play it alot btw XD

Haven't y'all been a part of a fighting game community b4? This digression (where ppl will go back to playing older versions)has happened b4. melee wont die, but good job for wishful thinking! XD 10/10

there wont be a takeover it'll be a parallel thingy thx to Evo and MLG hopping on the money train and sucking all of u in to their "competitive " scenes

C.Y.

Smash Rookie
C.Y actually the reason why brawl threads have had these wars for like the past 3 month is because "ppl do care". Your post was a waste of space and if u play this for fun dont post here go get 3 of ur friends and have a item , flower, stamina freeforall somewhere.

D20 did a nice job of being nice about it.

newf@gs, brawl is NOT a competitive game, when the rest of the real community is tired of having 13min DDD dittos on FD we'll all be playing melee again and it we'll officially let you f@gs take it for "competitive purposes". its a fun game and I play it alot btw XD

Haven't y'all been a part of a fighting game community b4? This digression (where ppl will go back to playing older versions)has happened b4. melee wont die, but good job for wishful thinking! XD 10/10

there wont be a takeover it'll be a parallel thingy thx to Evo and MLG hopping on the money train and sucking all of u in to their "competitive " scenes
actualy i pleh with bob-ombs, pokemans, beam sword, BAT, and smash blls all on very high. i think this shows more skills then wut u do lol

i use landmaster and it takes skill

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I'll be over there with those not too in denial to adapt to a metagame devoid of wavedashing.
YES! because you know WD'ing is the only thing that makes me hate this game. I mean if I can't fly across the screen and hit you wit my uber hax I don't like it @ all. stupid nintendo guys takin away my glitch like that XD

godd@mnit i looked @ your post count and thought u would have something worth reading.

On the contrary ( I STRESS NOT ALL BUT MOST) the super brawl supporters that think melee is not as competitive are in denial. They quit melee in hopes of brawl taking over and its not happening as smoothly, so they're trying to force it by spamming up the boards. i mean some of the melee guys are doing it too but we are right and they're wrong

Ethan

Smash Cadet
Sitting on my couch playing Brawl today, I realized that it sucks. Don't get me wrong, Brawl is probably the best game ever made in terms of fun. However, I can't see it going anywhere competitive for any other reason than the massive popularity. Playing against my drunken roommate, I realized that he was hitting me. But in Melee, I had tech skill that could make sure that he doesn't make a random Marth Fsmash work. This is because of the incredible metagame that Melee has. Also, if you haven't experienced the metagame of Melee, you really don't have an argument against Melee.

Here comes the brawl anchovies and their ad hominem arguments.
lol irony.

D20

Smash Lord
Hey guys, this thread isn't really supposed to be a Melee vs. Brawl thread. This is more of a real life smash community vs. no community vs. WiFi community kind of thread. I brought up Brawl and Melee because right now there is no real life Brawl community, while Melee has a very strong community in which people have come together, become friends, and pushed the game ridiculously far. WiFi fosters laziness and combats true progression. I just don't want to see the Smash community (as a whole) split apart and die.

Top Bottom