• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Coaching" Debate.

Jessup124

Smash Cadet
@Tournaments are not training grounds.
First of all it's an opinion, it's your personal outlook on what a tournament 'is'.
Oh Really?! Here is the definition of a tournament is : a trial of skill in some game, in which competitors play a series of contests of games to determine an overall winner

X1-12

Smash Champion
I wish I had enough time, and cared enough to argue this one out again

I'm with you in spirit anti-coachers

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I've never believe it to be used as a crutch. That better?
If I saw coaching as a crutch, I would not be in favor of it. I see coaching as a way to better a player.
Like I said, I told you this only a billion times.

Blah blah blah, I've seen coaching be ineffective, does that make me a master on the subject?
You said:
I can't continue to argue in the face of cactuars post.

he (Cactuar) is the only one who's actually been in the instances and theories we've been discussing, and he's saying it skews the match unfairly.
Contradiction much?

themiii

Smash Rookie
I would really try to avoid the argument on whether tournaments should be training grounds or not.
I believe for many tournaments are consisdered training grounds. I consider all the friendlies to be part of the tournament, although not particularly part of tournament matches.

Cactuars post really bugs me though. It is my belief that a coach, whether it is during or after a match, that tells you what you did wrong or what is the right thing to do will increase your skill capacity.
People who become dependent make coaching a crutch, people who learn from coaching make it beneficial.

I really think that coaching should be available post match.
Having a coach midmatch can distract even the player or the opponent.

Pi

Smash Hero
Cactuars name was the only name that ever came up, cactuar did this cactuar did that
He was 'the' coach to mention.
Everyone's had some experience with coaching, doesn't make them a profession on the subject
Cactuar coming in and saying coaching skews the results so much would be like Hbox coming in and giving his opinion on some jiggs matchup

Nobody's gonna refute that

This ***** is ****ing y'alls **** up, you just gonna stand there and take this dude like that? He's riding over you like a steamroller wooow.
They all some mother ****in scrubs
only one who's gonna take me up is amsah cause all the others are too busy suckin his **** to put their money where their mouth is

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Eh after reading more I have to side with amsah, I've been thinking about plenty of situations where offering advice doesn't seem detrimental towards the opponent of your friend but ultimately they're all twisted reflections. I think anything outside of encouragement "Come on you can do it! I believe in you! Kick his arse man!" can be logically proven to be unfair.

Supa you say that MM'ing would prove your point, but I don't think so. You'd be basing an argument off of results instead of logic. Those results are a product of many factors, not just coaching. Maybe you should stop riding your own **** and put your brain where your mouth is

themiii

Smash Rookie
Supa you say that MM'ing would prove your point, but I don't think so. You'd be basing an argument off of results instead of logic
that is called ad hominem
^^

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I don't quite understand, are you implying my argument is invalid or that those two sentences could have been phrased in those two words instead?

Pi

Smash Hero
na that's called a scrub

i wasn't trying to say that after i wreck some anti-coachign scrub in a MM that my way of thinking is correct
merely that they're a scrub and i'm the best

THE BEST

MM me scrub

Quic

Smash Journeyman
They all some mother ****in scrubs
only one who's gonna take me up is amsah cause all the others are too busy suckin his **** to put their money where their mouth is
So you admit all your arguments got ***-*****? as you are now just going into blind ad-hominem mode?

Pi

Smash Hero
So you admit all your arguments got ***-*****? as you are now just going into blind ad-hominem mode?
what kinda short bus did you ride to the portable on the outskirts of some ratty *** public school to come up with that

read my asterisk you ignorant reading comprehension lacking mother ****er
everything i said still stands, and i still believe coaching, if done 'right' (in my eyes) can better a player faster than any other form of training

there's nothin blind about what i'm doing, i see scrubs, i see money, i aim to collect
where you at?

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Cactuars name was the only name that ever came up, cactuar did this cactuar did that
He was 'the' coach to mention.
So if you're not Cactus you don't know anything about coaching?

Cactuar coming in and saying coaching skews the results so much would be like Hbox coming in and giving his opinion on some jiggs matchup

Nobody's gonna refute that
I'm sorry but I'm not an authoritarian.

themiii

Smash Rookie
I don't quite understand, are you implying my argument is invalid or that those two sentences could have been phrased in those two words instead?
just for future reference, that is the logic fallacy that describes what you're trying to say.
what you say is valid, this one just sounds cooler. :]

Quic

Smash Journeyman
what kinda short bus did you ride to the portable on the outskirts of some ratty *** public school to come up with that

everything i said still stands, and i still believe coaching, if done 'right' (in my eyes) can better a player faster than any other form of training

there's nothin blind about what i'm doing, i see scrubs, i see money, i aim to collect
where you at?
Saying 'all my points still stand' after they have been refuted, and not making up new arguments doesn't make them stand.
Also, as for my present location, it's the Netherlands, you're invited to come over here and money match me all you want.

Pi

Smash Hero
maybe ill mm you if your alt account comes back in here and trolls a little harder
what alt account, you think i have time to spend writing up novels on this account as well as some other? HAH

'maybe i'll mm if...'
don't give me stipulations
give me times & places

So if you're not Cactus you don't know anything about coaching?

I'm sorry but I'm not an authoritarian.
i'm saying cactus knows more about coaching than me
and until i get some backing from someone else who knows some where around as much as cactuar supporting my view on the debate i'm not gonna try
the stances and views i hold are going to stay, but it's pointless to try and argue against what cactus has said
you're not getting anything more from me

Saying 'all my points still stand' after they have been refuted, and not making up new arguments doesn't make them stand.
Also, as for my present location, it's the Netherlands, you're invited to come over here and money match me all you want.
lol my points havent been refuted, is english your first language? might wanna take some courses...
cactus has provided an example where coachig not only skews the match, but also does not benefit the player
this is unacceptable

in my eyes, coaching can benefit the player greatly, and also not affect the match to an extent deemed worthy of restricting
but until i can get some confirmation of this, i'm not going to try and shove it down your throats
as they are already stuffed w/ amsah ****

lmao reports inc.

MM ME SCRUBSSSSS!!!!!!

p.s.
don't confuse my having fun w/ a concession of the counter argument

Quic

Smash Journeyman
lol my points havent been refuted, is english your first language? might wanna take some courses...
*Makes one mistake in sentence structure, needs to take English courses.*
Also stop the Ad Hominem, it makes you look bad.

Also, if you want to get some huge benefit from a coach but not screw with the results of tournaments just talk with somebody more knowledgeable than you outside of matches.

Pi

Smash Hero
*Makes one mistake in sentence structure, needs to take English courses.*
Also stop the Ad Hominem, it makes you look like a tool.
ty for advice

i'll let you know when the outlook people have on me determines when and what i post lolol

here's some advice for you
stop quoting me, you're getting no where

17+ PEOPLE VIEWING THREAD
ALL W/ THEIR OWN OPINIONS
ALL THINK THEY ARE WORSE THAN ME AND WON'T DARE ACCEPT MY MM
I SEE YOU LURKIN SCRUBS

so willing to talk **** and support someone else, so unwilling to put your skills, or lack their of to the test
where you at motha suckas! the thread direction has changed, either MM me or gtfo!!!

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
i'm saying cactus knows more about coaching than me
So do I but that didn't stop you.

cactus has provided an example where coachig not only skews the match, but also does not benefit the player
this is unacceptable
So did I.

in my eyes, coaching can benefit the player greatly, and also not affect the match to an extent deemed worthy of restricting
but until i can get some confirmation of this, i'm not going to try and shove it down your throats
as they are already stuffed w/ amsah ****
You seem obsessed with what I'm packing down there.

Pi

Smash Hero
amash it's like if you walk down the street & see a crowd of people standing around something

& is that a hint of trashtalk i see? hmmmm?
you callin me gayyyyyy sonnnnn?

UH OH TO HALP I'M GETTIN DISTRACTED

themiii

Smash Rookie
This is becoming less constructive.
I sense a mod is going to have to ban this according to the last two pages.

Quic

Smash Journeyman
This is becoming less constructive.
I sense a mod is going to have to ban this according to the last two pages.
Or we could just let the thread die until somebody feels like arguing pro-coaching again.

themiii

Smash Rookie
I'm still on pro-coach.
But that is also because I believe that for a good amount of people tournaments can be considered training grounds.

But, since i look at coaching as merely a progressive topic I'd have to limit it to everything before brackets or limiting to only in between matches.

Jessup124

Smash Cadet

where you at?
Right this is coming from the guy who didn't know the definition of the word : tournament.
Please take notice: I understand your belief for coaching to mean that you lack skills to compete independently.

Pi

Smash Hero
Right this is coming from the guy who didn't know the definition of the word : tournament.
Please take notice: I understand your belief for coaching to mean that you lack skills to compete independently.
who linked the definition of coaching? was it you?
i don't seem to remember it providing anything in support of the anti coaching argument
i read it
saw the bolded bit
realized the poster was a ******
and acted like i do when i see a ******** post
chose not to quote or acknowledge it's existence

but for the sake of shutting you up here i'll go look for it..loading...

Oh Really?! Here is the definition of a tournament is : a trial of skill in some game, in which competitors play a series of contests of games to determine an overall winner
an overall winner? are you serious? did you ride the same bus as whoever i was talking about before? lmao

it even says competitors, TORS
S
PLURAL
shut up your bad mm me
inb4close
i see you tec

Jessup124

Smash Cadet
who linked the definition of coaching? was it you?
i don't seem to remember it providing anything in support of the anti coaching argument
i read it
saw the bolded bit
realized the poster was a ******
and acted like i do when i see a ******** post
chose not to quote or acknowledge it's existence

but for the sake of shutting you up here i'll go look for it..loading...
Tell me Richard what troubles you? Since the nickname version of D.I .C. K is too short to describe how much of a major Richard you really are.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
No, competitors refer to the multiple teams/players competing for the title. It doesn't mean that..Why the hell am I explaining this to you..? :facepalm:

Pi

Smash Hero
No, competitors refer to the multiple teams/players competing for the title. It doesn't mean that..Why the hell am I explaining this to you..? :facepalm:
I know what competitors refers to
and
it even says competitors, TORS
S
PLURAL
shut up your bad mm me
inb4close
i see you tec
was not a valid argument, i'm acknowledging that

but no where in the definition does it support anything about having no coaches.

according to that definition
the goal is to determine a winner
doesn't say anything about 1v1, no items, fox only, final destination

and by all means PLEASE stop responding to me
at this point it's annoying as you've providing nothing of value to me, just repeating the same **** over and over giving me your speculations and theories and opinions

go home amsah
go home

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If you have nothing constructive to post, DON'T post.

Don't ruin the thread for everyone else by going off on tangents.

This warning is not for anyone in specific btw.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
according to that definition
the goal is to determine a winner
doesn't say anything about 1v1, no items, fox only, final destination
a trial of skill

Did you miss this part?

and by all means PLEASE stop responding to me
at this point it's annoying as you've providing nothing of value to me, just repeating the same **** over and over giving me your speculations and theories and opinions
No, I think I'll annoy you some more.

Top Bottom