• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Clothing Department - Mii Fighter Outfits and Hats

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I hope the hats aren't tied to the outfits. Some would look cool for the characters, but some need to go bald or have a very specific hat.

EDIT: I just noticed that the top hat seems to really get around. Yay.
I was thinking the same thing until I noticed that the top hat and straw hat weren't tied to any particular outfits. Now my next hope is that the weapon variations seen on the Gunners and Swordfighters aren't tied to the rest of the outfit. This, however, seems pretty unlikely at this point, which is definitely sad news for anyone hoping to play as a beam sword-equipped Jedi who doesn't look like he/she's straight out of Tron.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I was thinking the same thing until I noticed that the top hat and straw hat weren't tied to any particular outfits. Now my next hope is that the weapon variations seen on the Gunners and Swordfighters aren't tied to the rest of the outfit. This, however, seems pretty unlikely at this point, which is definitely sad news for anyone hoping to play as a beam sword-equipped Jedi who doesn't look like he/she's straight out of Tron.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I hope they'll implement items from characters not appearing in the game, like, I don't know, Mach Rider's helmet or Takamaru's dress would be legit.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Well, that's the final nail in my weapon customization dreams. Oh well, at least he lessened the blow by also showing a cool new Rosalina alternate color.

"Obi-Wan, welcome... to Tron."

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

Ooh, nice jacket. I hope we can change the color of the outfits based on the Mii's Favorite Color, because a black one would mean I can make this guy and do this:

I mean, I would've preferred if I could give him the Revolver-type weapon, but oh well.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911

Ooh, nice jacket. I hope we can change the color of the outfits based on the Mii's Favorite Color, because a black one would mean I can make this guy and do this:

I mean, I would've preferred if I could give him the Revolver-type weapon, but oh well.
As I've mentioned, I too wish, especially for the sake of characters like 007 and Snake if he is cut getting the revolver you mention, that the weapons were independently customizable, but alas, it would appear we're at the mercy of what outfits they make available for the Miis' look from the shoulders down. The bright side is, though it appears to be something Sakurai is trying to keep mostly under wraps for now considering all of the Fighters shown with the same color outfits, I can just about guarantee that costumes (or at the very least most of them) will change to match the Mii's favorite color. Want my evidence? Look at the football player Mii in orange; now look at the Mii in red in the picture with the two kicking in the air. Notice that their outfits are identical except for the color. So, the only costumes that may be exceptions are the Tron outfit and maybe the cowgirl one (unless the orange parts are variable?). EDIT: Upon a little more studying, I can confirm the color of the skirt and/or vest do indeed reflect the favorite color of the wearer. Now hats, on the other hand, may only come in one standard color, sadly. I believe this to be the case because we've seen two purple top hats with pink/purple bands on the Wii U and one black with a pink/purple band on the 3DS, as well as a straw hat with a blue band, most of which did not match the Mii's outfit. I am not as sure about the hat part as I am about the outfit colors theory, though, so don't fret too much just yet, I think it's best we wait for official confirmation before deciding to 100% believe anything about hat colors for now.

[Overly long post, end transmission.]

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
............I can't be a Jedi in Smash Brothers..........
NOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I've mentioned, I too wish, especially for the sake of characters like 007 and Snake if he is cut getting the revolver you mention, that the weapons were independently customizable, but alas, it would appear we're at the mercy of what outfits they make available for the Miis' look from the shoulders down. The bright side is, though it appears to be something Sakurai is trying to keep mostly under wraps for now considering all of the Fighters shown with the same color outfits, I can just about guarantee that costumes (or at the very least most of them) will change to match the Mii's favorite color. Want my evidence? Look at the football player Mii in orange; now look at the Mii in red in the picture with the two kicking in the air. Notice that their outfits are identical except for the color. So, the only costumes that may be exceptions are the Tron outfit and maybe the cowgirl one (unless the orange parts are variable?). EDIT: Upon a little more studying, I can confirm the color of the skirt and/or vest do indeed reflect the favorite color of the wearer. Now hats, on the other hand, may only come in one standard color, sadly. I believe this to be the case because we've seen two purple top hats with pink/purple bands on the Wii U and one black with a pink/purple band on the 3DS, as well as a straw hat with a blue band, most of which did not match the Mii's outfit. I am not as sure about the hat part as I am about the outfit colors theory, though, so don't fret too much just yet, I think it's best we wait for official confirmation before deciding to 100% believe anything about hat colors for now.

[Overly long post, end transmission.]
Colors are kind of a given. It's rather obvious to me, that given that Sakurai is in his right mind, all the alts that would normally just be "colors" are going to be nothing but body costumes. I'm thinking the hats we can take from our StreetPass Mii Plazas.

Hopefully......

I just hope there's a good variety of Brawler and Swordfighter outfits. Hopefully some capes?.....maybe?

..........Just a Karate outfit at least?

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
NOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can still be The Starkiller Apprentice, Darth Vader, or General Grievous easily. And I KNOW there's more SW characters with similar armor than that.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I'm thinking the hats we can take from our StreetPass Mii Plazas.

Hopefully......

I just hope there's a good variety of Brawler and Swordfighter outfits. Hopefully some capes?.....maybe?

At first I didn't think it was very likely that you would be able to carry over hats from StreetPass Mii Plaza, but after looking into it you may be on to something after all. That top hat in the 3DS screenshot? It looks identical to the one in SPMP, right down to the pink/purple band. Then I noticed that the football helmet is indeed identical to the one in SPMP, as well! And although I can't find any photos of them, I do see a straw hat and a cowboy hat being listed as one of the hats you can get in that game. On the "against" side of my findings, there is no hibiscus flower available in StreetPass Mii Plaza, only a sunflower. Also, there is no alternate cowboy hat as seen on the female Mii next to the one in the traditional cowboy hat. Most trivially, I'm not sure why the top hat in the Wii U screenshots is purple as opposed to black (nor am I a fan of the change at all). Still, it would certainly seem that, if nothing else, some designs were directly taken from SPMP. Now I have a whole new personal concern: will there be a simple crown available? As in a gold ring with spikes, with no fabric in the middle? I'm really hoping so, I have some ideas that would work much better with that type of crown than with a regal crown. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and this isn't really backed up by much compared to my other thoughts, but given that we've seen a character with a long coat, I'm pretty certain we'll see costumes with capes. And if we get cowboy, sports, and sci-fi outfits, I am willing to bet a nice little chunk of money that we'll see a martial arts outfit. :)

Maikou

Smash Ace
...........But I can't be a Jedi.
At first I didn't think it was very likely that you would be able to carry over hats from StreetPass Mii Plaza, but after looking into it you may be on to something after all. That top hat in the 3DS screenshot? It looks identical to the one in SPMP, right down to the pink/purple band. Then I noticed that the football helmet is indeed identical to the one in SPMP, as well! And although I can't find any photos of them, I do see a straw hat and a cowboy hat being listed as one of the hats you can get in that game. On the "against" side of my findings, there is no hibiscus flower available in StreetPass Mii Plaza, only a sunflower. Also, there is no alternate cowboy hat as seen on the female Mii next to the one in the traditional cowboy hat. Most trivially, I'm not sure why the top hat in the Wii U screenshots is purple as opposed to black (nor am I a fan of the change at all). Still, it would certainly seem that, if nothing else, some designs were directly taken from SPMP. Now I have a whole new personal concern: will there be a simple crown available? As in a gold ring with spikes, with no fabric in the middle? I'm really hoping so, I have some ideas that would work much better with that type of crown than with a regal crown. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and this isn't really backed up by much compared to my other thoughts, but given that we've seen a character with a long coat, I'm pretty certain we'll see costumes with capes. And if we get cowboy, sports, and sci-fi outfits, I am willing to bet a nice little chunk of money that we'll see a martial arts outfit. :)
Actually, something I've noticed. in one screentshot of the Gentleman outfit, the Mii has a black Top Hat, like the one from SPMP. However today's Pic of the Day lacked any form of headwear. The gunner only had his gentlemanly outfit and arm cannon. not a top hat in sight! I wonder why? Also, why did Sakurai not comment on Rosalina's Fire Flower outfit? I hoping the rest of the week's screenshots reveal even more costumes for the characters. Sakurai seems to be focusing on them now.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Actually, something I've noticed. in one screentshot of the Gentleman outfit, the Mii has a black Top Hat, like the one from SPMP. However today's Pic of the Day lacked any form of headwear. The gunner only had his gentlemanly outfit and arm cannon. not a top hat in sight! I wonder why? Also, why did Sakurai not comment on Rosalina's Fire Flower outfit? I hoping the rest of the week's screenshots reveal even more costumes for the characters. Sakurai seems to be focusing on them now.
My guess is the top hat is black on the 3DS and purple on the Wii U. Why? Like I said, no clue, it's strange. Also, as an update for those who care, turns out there is a hibiscus flower available in SPMP, I just overlooked it when I was doing my brief research before. Oops! Though as far as I can tell, my point about no cowgirl/mariachi-like hat still stands. Anyway, according to Miiverse comments that's not her Fire Flower outfit from SM3DW, though I'm with you on calling it that for simplicity, haha. It seems like he is on an alternate costume kick lately, so I'm guessing this was just his way of showing another new noteworthy look for a character (Or was it to serve as a lollipop for fans like us who didn't like the shot that was weapon designs being tied to costumes?). I too hope we get even more colors/costumes, they are very exciting to me!

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
So I wanted to bring something up about the miiverse post a couple of days ago. The description for Mii/Rosalina's picture was the following:

«The Mii Gunner in his suit. Looking sharp! The arm cannon's design will change depending on the outfit, but the attacks and projectiles will be the same.»
A lot of people originally posted that this would mean arm cannons are restricted to the outfit, however if you look at the original pictures when the mii fighter was released, it's clear that the default mii is using the same arm cannon as "tron" mii.

I don't know if they either changed it (maybe it started getting too complicated for them), or if Sakurai is trying to state that the entire outfit is unlocked together, but you can later mix and match them (I guess each outfit would come with a hat, body and arms/boots choice). If that's the case, then this might also mean that these aren't actually alternate costumes for miis, but rather you can collect a ton of them in game and customize your mii character outside of the character select screen (likely in the same menu where you customize your attacks).

The other thing is, since miis are so diverse I'm wondering if they'll actually show up on the character select screen in the same way as other characters. I don't know if Sakurai and co will actually use the official mii art because the whole point of introducing miis in the first place is to put in literally any character you want. Unlike the villager who has their own unique look, miis do not as they can vary in so many ways.

Not only that, but if miis can truly be customized in the way I described above, there is no way they'll have concept art for each individual mii outfit. It makes me wonder if maybe miis will be selected differently (especially since they won't even be playable online, that would mean that their character icon is either disabled or disappears, the latter not making any sense and the former being a waste of space).

Sorry if this was noticed before, I only just realized it myself and wanted to discuss it a bit. I feel like there's more to mii characters than we know.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
A lot of people originally posted that this would mean arm cannons are restricted to the outfit, however if you look at the original pictures when the mii fighter was released, it's clear that the default mii is using the same arm cannon as "tron" mii.
Nice observation, but I'd wager that that can be explained pretty simply: the basic Gunner arm cannon matches the Tron outfit very well, thus the design is not changed when that particular outfit is equipped. I don't think there is any way to misinterpret Sakurai's quote, unfortunately. Weapons will change to reflect the outfit when appropriate.
The other thing is, since miis are so diverse I'm wondering if they'll actually show up on the character select screen in the same way as other characters. I don't know if Sakurai and co will actually use the official mii art because the whole point of introducing miis in the first place is to put in literally any character you want. Unlike the villager who has their own unique look, miis do not as they can vary in so many ways.

Not only that, but if miis can truly be customized in the way I described above, there is no way they'll have concept art for each individual mii outfit. It makes me wonder if maybe miis will be selected differently (especially since they won't even be playable online, that would mean that their character icon is either disabled or disappears, the latter not making any sense and the former being a waste of space).
My hope is that the game will generate a character portrait to show how your Mii will look in battle, but others have speculated that the way it will work is, after selecting which type of Mii Fighter you wish to play as, you select the Mii to use from a list. Admittedly, this would make more sense, being a much simpler approach. However, it doesn't seem too farfetched to think there would be art on the disc/card for each outfit and accessory since every item has pre-rendered artwork. If each one did, it would just be a matter of putting that artwork together with the Mii artwork. Still, that's a lot of work for what could be handled in a simpler way, so I wouldn't suggest getting your hopes up.
I feel like there's more to mii characters than we know.
I share this feeling with you, and can't wait for more of the secrets of Miis to be revealed with time.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
NOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colors are kind of a given. It's rather obvious to me, that given that Sakurai is in his right mind, all the alts that would normally just be "colors" are going to be nothing but body costumes. I'm thinking the hats we can take from our StreetPass Mii Plazas.

Hopefully......

Items on high, laser sword only. It helps.

Maikou

Smash Ace

"On a different subject, the Mii Fighter is wearing a Mii Force Helmet."
YES! YES! STREETPASS OUTFITS CAN BE USED! YES!!

I CAN be a Jedi! ....Maybe! ....................Hopefully!
Items on high, laser sword only. It helps.
I'd rather just have a natural swordfighter character as a Jedi who naturally has a beam sword. The item can be easily lost and putting items on high makes them spawn way too much. I may be a casual player, but even I can't stand item overloads.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

"On a different subject, the Mii Fighter is wearing a Mii Force Helmet."
YES! YES! STREETPASS OUTFITS CAN BE USED! YES!!

I CAN be a Jedi! ....Maybe! ....................Hopefully!
That whole outfit does kind of look like this:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Hope there's like a generic spandex & cape superhero costume, got a few comic book miis to put to use.

Morbi

Scavenger
...So what are the chances of having Hair-Color Spray from Tomodafhi Life?
I am not certain myself; however, I believe we can change the color of hats. Or at least the Top Hat has a purple variation, so I would not be surprised to see some more variation to Mii Fighters. It might be limited to clothes and hats though.

Off all the things we know about Miis, you'd think this department we would be sick of hearing about. Yet there are so many unanswered questions when it comes to Miis outfits. The big one being how many hats are there? It sounds kind of petty but we know the Miis are going to have custom outfits made for Smash, but are they going to have hats other then the ones from streetpass? Getting a complete list of the hats in streetpass seems impossible. Most of the hats I've seen from streetpass are very unique...too unique in fact. While having a Mii run around with a giant pizza or a pixel Mario on his head is going to be funny there seems to be a lack of generic hats that would let us make character from other series. There are some good ones (chef hat, ninja hat, top hat), but there isn't enough to make unique looking fighters. The only picture of seen that may have hats that aren't from Streetpass is these ones:

I can't seem to find those hats anywhere. I can find one pirate hat, but not the other. What I want to hear is them tell us they borrowed hats and accessories from Tomodachi Life. If they did that then mah god...the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Well looks like Captain Hook is viable: http://www.miicharacters.com/index.php?mii=1805

Also, 1 thing I realized is that every Nintendo franchise in SSB is represented by the mii plaza hats: nothing of Poke'mon, Punchout & definitely no 3rd parties. There probably would be new hats to cover the missing IPs.

Here's the list of Streetpass hats: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/625899-streetpass-mii-plaza/faqs/68660 Pirate hat is listed there so that's not new.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I love the new pirate hat, it's better than the Mii Plaza version.

Here is a video with some hats and outfits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omeOylQYkuU

And I'm surprised nobody posted theses screenshots.

Frog Hat from Mii Plaza

The Prince wig

Dragon outfit (?) for gunners

Princess Peach wig

One classy outfit

Screens from the video above.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Darn, judging by this screenshot, it looks as if we won't be able to select the specific weapons (swords, guns, fists) aesthetically and that they're locked to certain Outfits or Equipment. So if I want a pirate sword with a cyber outfit, it looks like that won't be able to happen without a stat change.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Darn, judging by this screenshot, it looks as if we won't be able to select the specific weapons (swords, guns, fists) aesthetically and that they're locked to certain Outfits or Equipment. So if I want a pirate sword with a cyber outfit, it looks like that won't be able to happen without a stat change.

It was confirmed by this pic of the day.

The Mii Gunner in his suit. Looking sharp! The arm cannon's design will change depending on the outfit, but the attacks and projectiles will be the same.

Quite sad, but it is already great that we can customise the look of our miis. So sorry, no cyber pirate for you :(

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
It was confirmed by this pic of the day.

The Mii Gunner in his suit. Looking sharp! The arm cannon's design will change depending on the outfit, but the attacks and projectiles will be the same.

Quite sad, but it is already great that we can customise the look of our miis. So sorry, no cyber pirate for you :(
Ah, thanks, I hadn't noticed that. Well, I guess the best I can do is hope for a Pirate Hat then.

Doomie

Smash Cadet
NNID
curyoschriz
3DS FC
1306-7597-1662
there's a ryu outfit, don't remember where i saw it but i did :L

Doomie

Smash Cadet
NNID
curyoschriz
3DS FC
1306-7597-1662
how do streetpass outfits work? .-. i don't have a 3ds yet
whenever i touch a post it's like it dies lol

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
how do streetpass outfits work? .-. i don't have a 3ds yet
whenever i touch a post it's like it dies lol
We're not positive yet, but it looks like Streetpass outfits will be unlockable in various modes such as Smash Run and probably Classic mode.

Top Bottom