• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Christmas/New Year Update

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
We didn't get anything special on any other holiday. I think Ike's announcement was on a special day, but I don't remember what it was.
Anyway, we didn't get anything for Sakurai's Birthday, the old Release Date(Dec.3rd), Halloween, Thanksgiving. For Christmas we got a single Final Smash update (plus music, but whatever). Not only that, but it was a Final Smash we already knew, seen, and USED, albeit not all of us.
We got Sonic at the beginning of a convention, not a holiday.

New Years is not going to be any different. Don't just not get your hopes up, don't have any hope whatsoever. This is not even considering we haven't gotten anything substantial since the "Fox Misfortune" video back in November.
I'm not being a pessimist, just a realist.

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
...I'll bet you an arm that it'll be an item update. Specifically, the Stopwatch.

Time = year. It's so simple, now!

The Director

Smash Lord
Can we close this thread please? Dumb people are starting to make my head hurt. :psycho:

BTW, any other "special day update" threads should never exist.

NinjaT2D

Smash Cadet
i actually really liked this update, mostly because of the song. Maybe sakurai didnt no anyone watched the e for all demos on youtube,maybe he dosent know wat youtube is lol. Mr. Shigaru didnt know wat rachect and clank was, he thought it was a PC game lol.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I once thought we'd get really great updates on special days but....sakurai knows we'll be expecting something on christmas or new years. he might wait for some random day to reveal a new character if he's revealing any.

It would be interesting if there was a midnight update on new years eve though. But I think I'd watch a new years countdown on tv instead and look later.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I once thought we'd get really great updates on special days but....sakurai knows we'll be expecting something on christmas or new years. he might wait for some random day to reveal a new character if he's revealing any.

It would be interesting if there was a midnight update on new years eve though. But I think I'd watch a new years countdown on tv instead and look later.
I'd expect something good for New Years. It's more important than Christmas is in Japan, I think.

The Director

Smash Lord
Yes. Special day Update threads should be banned.

They are extremely annoying, yet they get so much attention.
Special day updates have a great track record, though:

Halloween: NOTHING SPECIAL (that pumpkin doesn't count and you know it)
Thanksgiving: NOTHING SPECIAL
Dec. 3rd: NOTHING SPECIAL
Christmas: NOTHING SPECIAL

Oh no....wait! Yes! I've got word coming in from my reporter in the field that the future news has just hit! That's right, I've got the results for the New Year's update!

New Years: NOTHING SPECIAL

(oh, and if we actually do get something special, I will video myself printing up this post and eating it)

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787

Oh no....wait! Yes! I've got word coming in from my reporter in the field that the future news has just hit! That's right, I've got the results for the New Year's update!

(oh, and if we actually do get something special, I will video myself printing up this post and eating it)
Qftt.....People should just always expect the worst that way you dont get mad when the update sucks.

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
Special January 1st update: Brawl Dojo closes, only 24 days left till release sounds like a good day to close it.
But on the other hand, if it closes then, we can expect the last couple of updates to be good.
(My own thought is that dojo closes January 24th)

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman

I think he may of acknowledged Xmas eve as all the Wario pics on Monday had Snow in the background but other than that I agree.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master

Halloween: The pumpkin is Halloween related, so it does count.
Thanksgiving: True, but Thanksgiving isn't as big in other places as the US
Dec 3rd: This date is only special to America, Japan didn't get a special update on their former-relaease date, what makes us so special?
Christmas: Same as Thanksgiving
New Years: Unknown, though I don't expect anything big, I think New Years is a more celebrated holiday in Japan, so don't be too surprised if we do get something good.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Well, we got Subspace Emissary on his birthday, but that doesn't really count because we weren't exactly screaming "ZOMG SAKURAIS BIRTHDAY!!!1!12!eleven!!@1!!1"

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Halloween: The pumpkin is Halloween related.
That's pretty funny. No, the pumpkin isn't related to halloween, it's just a coincidence. Pumpkins are vegetables(?) that you collect just like the eggplant but not as important as eggplant.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I'm certain he's aware of the pumpkin. Also, Christmas's update revealed Sonic beating the crap out of Pit, and the Angel Island music. Angels = Jesus = Christmas :p

So it's not like they were bombshells, but they had some relevance. On New Year's, we will probably see the same thing. A relevant, but average update.

As for a new character, doubtful. We most likely will wait until release.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
On New Year's, we will probably see the same thing. A relevant, but average update.
Maybe they'll show some more events, with one of them being ''Let's start the new year off by blowing fireworks around with the Cracker Launcher!'' :p

I'm not expecting a thrilling update either. But hey, maybe that was Sakurai's plan, and he's gonna drop a megaton on us! :laugh:

Rash

Smash Ace
I think New Year's day holds a lot more weight than December 3rd or Christmas, probably for two reasons. For one, it's the start of a new month, and that's always a chance for a pretty solid update, and for two, it's the start of a new year, which is possibly more relevant than Christmas to more people.

Artix709

Smash Rookie
New Year's is going to be something to do with the Cracker Launcher or some menu thing like more options. Would be great if it was Ness or Captian Falcon, that might be the only thing that could stop this drought of failure.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
New years will be as eventful as every other significant date there was.

*unsubscribes*

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
And apparently, there won't even be a New Year's update. So I guess this thread has served its purpose.

Actually, on second thought, better to keep the discussion in here than in twelve million new threads.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!

Seriously though, it sucks that there won't be any updates next week. Ah well...

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Bah, I say. Bah!

But oh well. I think we can agree that no updates > drivel like You Must Recover, part II and Meta Knight's Special Moves In The Air.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Well bother, oh well hopefully the game will have been leaked by then anyway he he he.

Spartan64

Smash Journeyman
WHY,WHY,WHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sakurai you devil
You have stopped all life on smashboards!
What will become of SMYN!!!!!!!!!!!!
no updates...no updates "crawls into a corner"

Top Bottom