• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
I watched this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlj7ID-Z8A (just the Jash´s part) ... and LOL, this was the most boring match I have seen ever. The Lucario did nothing but shield and aura sphere (well the lucario player seems to have really good reflexes with powershield :p).

-------

btw, I wanna know if there is something like smash ladder, but for pokemon games (poke ladder, LOL)
Yeah it was kinda weak. But I was watching Jash's tech. Like the bomb catching, spacing with the z-air, etc. I wish I wasn't stuck at work so I could go try some of that stuff out, haha.

D

Deleted member

Welp, my laptop died today. It's only a year and a half old and lately it's been shutting off a ton for no apparent reason, and now it suddenly won't turn back on. I'm going to have it looked at, but with all the issues with it, I'm pretty sure that thing is done. Add issues with Skype on my phone where it sends massive imaginary "files" to people and eats up my mobile data, and nothing I've tried has been able to get these files to send, and I'm going to be deleting Skype from my phone. So yeah, I won't have access to Skype again for at least a while, so if anyone wants to join the Skype group, don't send me a friend request, send it to Cyrene (whose Skype info I added to the OP, with his permission of course).

For those who'e tried Anther's Ladder, how is it? Do people tend to be at least decent and tend to have good wifi? My wifi is pretty good and I even have a blue connection and a ton of green ones, but still a good chunk of the people I play have garbage wifi with red connections, so it would be nice to get to play more with people who tend to have better wifi. I remember back when the All is Brawl ladder was popular a lot of people who used it had terrible wifi and didn't attempt to do anything to try to improve their connections, so I hope Anther's Ladder doesn't attract that sort of thing as much as AiB did.

Can someone please explain to me how he does a bombfakeout and then throws the bomb again before landing? (and manages to catch it) It's around the 22:18 mark. I'm trying to do this in training mode, and I have been successful a few times, but don't know how the heck I'm pulling it off so I can't do it consistently lol.
Iirc, L or R + A to do a normal bomb catch without an aerial or air dodge, and L or R + A + direction to immrdiately throw it.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I'm just fanboying right now. Jash is so amazing.
Toon may not have the frame data, but Jash still manages to play so freakishly well.
So many notes.
I also need to just practice retreating aerial boomerangs. It's always such an awkward input for me. >.>

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So I got 4th out of something like 15 at a tourney yesterday. Not the most impressive stuff, but it's the best I've done at a tourney in a while lol. Was pretty nice getting to rep TL and stuff. Jash apparently got 4th at another tourney yesterday, too, so pretty awesome stuff with TLs placing lately and stuff. TL da bess, guys.

How about Dr. Robotnik Robink Roink? Nah but I like Roink better.
Good job man, at least you can go to tournaments. I only have CPU to practise on.

Also, I am glad we've settle the name dispute then

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
Anyone excited for any games coming out soon?

I'm looking forward to the release of Monster hunter 4 and Persona 5 this year. *Drools* So much to play on top of smash 4, I don't know if I can handle it.

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098

I'm looking forward to the release of Monster hunter 4 and Persona 5 this year. *Drools* So much to play on top of smash 4, I don't know if I can handle it.
I´m excited for whatever thing about TLOZ. :p

You mean like a tier list? Apologies if not..
No I mean something like a matchmaking website, where you and the other person exchanges FC and plays pokemon :p

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
@ T-Man T-Man There is Anther's ladder if you are talking about smash, It's really good from the first few impressions it gave me.
Good place to find some 3ds matches with competent people.

If you are talking about Pokemon, I recommend Pokemon Showdown. It's pretty good!

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

Project: Steam and Pokken Tournament are the two ones I'm most excited for. Still have a backlog of games I have to get through first, though.

Jasudin

Smash Apprentice
In Your Alert Box, Increasing the Amount of Alerts
NNID
sushiramen8811
3DS FC
4768-7740-0434
Good job man, at least you can go to tournaments. I only have CPU to practise on.

Also, I am glad we've settle the name dispute then
Eh, I've been told that CPUs are detrimental to getting better. You should probably play someone from SB instead of CPUs.

Majora's Mask 3D

Last edited:

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
@ T-Man T-Man There is Anther's ladder if you are talking about smash, It's really good from the first few impressions it gave me.
Good place to find some 3ds matches with competent people.

If you are talking about Pokemon, I recommend Pokemon Showdown. It's pretty good!
I have been playing Anther´s ladder since a month. Thanks for the pokemon thing, I´m sure I´ll give it a shot :)

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Amiibos still have that crazy BS level 9 CPU powershielding and reactions. I don't really know if they're the best to practice against.

But good god, if you get one, do NOT spam Counter at it. I gave my amiibo a "Counter treatment" because I was getting frustrated, and it ended up with an amiibo that stands there, attacking only once every ~30 seconds. It powershields and spotdodges whatever I throw at it.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
So I am fairly(?) new to Toon Link having only played him in the 3ds version :/
The AT forums looks overwhelming....is he hard 2 use
Also..I am currently wrecking w/ Pacman..I <3 his traps soo much :3 :3 :3...Does TL have a lot of traps as well?
Wut should I start off w/ cause Im a noob..thx 4 input ~<3 horo

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Also..I am currently wrecking w/ Pacman..I <3 his traps soo much :3 :3 :3...Does TL have a lot of traps as well?
Toon Link isn't to hard to play with really. I am no expert mind you though. Anyway, Toon as one thing that PAC MAN does not have not nor does anyone (besides Link) have. Bombs. I am serious, Tink's Bombs are God, use them as much as you can.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Toon takes a while to get efficient at plus his damage output is under par so you have to play perfectly (no mistakes) to get a lead and keep it. That said, he's one of the most frustrating characters to verse if you don't have good approaches.

What you have to say about the AT thread concerns me though. Perhaps I should mark out the specific AT's that must be learnt in order to play Toon at a high level, with all the others being either optional or simply not used. It would be like a more practical version of the usefulness rating I used to have.

D

Deleted member

Personally I actually find him almost too easy to use. By the way, next time you have a question about using Toon Link, ask in the Q&A thread. I'd link it, but I'm posting from a phone. But yeah, it's stickied just like this thread is.

Toon takes a while to get efficient at plus his damage output is under par so you have to play perfectly (no mistakes) to get a lead and keep it. That said, he's one of the most frustrating characters to verse if you don't have good approaches.

What you have to say about the AT thread concerns me though. Perhaps I should mark out the specific AT's that must be learnt in order to play Toon at a high level, with all the others being either optional or simply not used. It would be like a more practical version of the usefulness rating I used to have.
That sounds like a good idea.

Your best bet would be amiibo then right? They don't require internet and they will adapt with you.
From my understanding, their ability to adapt is extremely limited. On top of that, they still can't be taught how to play exactly like a competitive smasher would play a character, and their reaction is perfect, so they make bad practice. The best and only good practice is with other humans.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I bolded and underlined some techs and explained what it means in a short paragraph at the top of the post. [Note that I'm still debating which techs to underline and which ones to leave as is. If you have any suggestions, please read the short paragraph I referred to first and then I'll be more than willing to hear them.]

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I bolded and underlined some techs and explained what it means in a short paragraph at the top of the post. [Note that I'm still debating which techs to underline and which ones to leave as is. If you have any suggestions, please read the short paragraph I referred to first and then I'll be more than willing to hear them.]
So im beastin' w/ Tink and got all the techs down but have a problem with the RAR throw recatch bomb. I use a Nunchuck and use the bottom of the D-Pad for jump...so no PP tilts, smashes sliding shenanigans for me ;(
JC Bomb throw is deadly, I used against a Palutena and just threw past her magical-purple-reflector-wall :3

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So im beastin' w/ Tink and got all the techs down but have a problem with the RAR throw recatch bomb. I use a Nunchuck and use the bottom of the D-Pad for jump...so no PP tilts, smashes sliding shenanigans for me ;(
JC Bomb throw is deadly, I used against a Palutena and just threw past her magical-purple-reflector-wall :3
I'm not entirely sure what you're having difficulty with or why. Is it somehow because of the fact that you're using wii-chuck controls? I'm familiar with the set up as there was a time when I tried it out. I'm not sure why it would stop you from doing any of the techs listed though.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I'm not entirely sure what you're having difficulty with or why. Is it somehow because of the fact that you're using wii-chuck controls? I'm familiar with the set up as there was a time when I tried it out. I'm not sure why it would stop you from doing any of the techs listed though.
No it is hard to do a JC bomb throw with Nunchuck because I use bottom of: :GCDpad: for jump, and :GCA: for attack, so sliding my thumb down is a struggle. However I am presently using the Wii U Game Pad and am adapting fast as I have used it be4.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
No it is hard to do a JC bomb throw with Nunchuck because I use bottom of: :GCDpad: for jump, and :GCA: for attack, so sliding my thumb down is a struggle. However I am presently using the Wii U Game Pad and am adapting fast as I have used it be4.
c button on the nunchuk to jump? Unless you've remapped your buttons?
Nunchuk was a bit troublesome for me. I always used C for jumping on nunchuk, and since c is a button that's pressed by the index finger, I was only shorthopping with a ~50% success rate.
But since this is about pressing things at the same time, I'm guessing that it would be easier to use c for JC throws.

Last edited:

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
Anyone see any TLs on Apex today? I was on and off, so I didn't see all of it.
Nope, but I can tell you what I did see. I saw an extremely packed venue with tons of people just enjoying the game. Saw some amazing matches and some freaking amazing commentary from both Smash 4 and Melee.

Screw 20XX, 2015 is looking to be an amazing year right now for Smash.

Last edited:

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
Nope, but I can tell you what I did see. I saw an extremely packed venue with tons of people just enjoying the game. Saw some amazing matches and some freaking amazing commentary from both Smash 4 and Melee.

Aye, tons of amazing games, even though around 10 / 52 characters were actually played.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

We're there any Toon Link smash 4 or PM at Alex AT ALL?

BrianXLink

Smash Rookie
Username: BrianXLink
-Main: :4tlink:
-Secondaries: :4villager:,:4wario:,:4zss:
-Favorite Toon Link Costume: Dark
-Dislikes: When I get my butt whooped in For Glory...
-Other Facts: Really want to get better at Smash. Add me!

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
Username: BrianXLink
-Main: :4tlink:
-Secondaries: :4villager:,:4wario:,:4zss:
-Favorite Toon Link Costume: Dark
-Dislikes: When I get my butt whooped in For Glory...
-Other Facts: Really want to get better at Smash. Add me!
Welcome!

Top Bottom