• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I just looked outside and saw birds.
BIRDS. IN JANUARY.
So yeah, I guess it's warm here as well.

But yeah, I personally didn't look at unstickied threads very much, but the fact that the Brawl forums were dead long before I joined was a huge factor in my browsing behavior as well.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't know where you are at, Fox, but where I was less than a week ago, it was anything form warm and beautiful, in fact it was extremely hot and humid!

But aw man, you made a link hat?! Dang, I wish I could make or get a Link hat, so jelly!

Oh and before I forget, Fox, @Dr. Artemis, so you know anyone with an old in updated or at least only updates to be able to play online version of Smash Bros 3ds? Cause I think Toon Link might have gotten a buff.
I'm in the mountains, undergoing rigorous physical and mental training, with waterfalls and such.

If there were any buffs, they would have been found here http://smashboards.com/threads/3ds-community-patch-notes-v1-0-4-engine-changes-to-di.378404/

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I really?!

Anyway, I think this buff wasn't listed on that thread, just like a few more buffs and nerfs I think I found.
This is why I like you XD. You believe everything I say. Never change man.

If you want people to check for buffs, I'd ask in that thread I linked. Oh and tag Aerodrome in your post if you want a quick response, though I can't guarantee it will be a happy one XD.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
This is why I like you XD. You believe everything I say. Never change man.

If you want people to check for buffs, I'd ask in that thread I linked. Oh and tag Aerodrome in your post if you want a quick response, though I can't guarantee it will be a happy one XD.
:glare:

Anyway, I might go with option one. I have heard the name Aero before in smash smash tournaments on YouTube (I think) and if he is that big of a name and can get angry quickly, the first one sound safe. Thanks Fox.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@Unkown Hero: Hey is that avatar the picture you drew btw? Because it's pretty good man.
Edit: also, I just checked the thread I linked you to and saw your posts. Good job buddy. You actually found something that had been missed after all this time. I'm genuinely impressed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is the most amazing gif I've seen in a while, if not the most amazing gif I've ever seen. https://gfycat.com/DefenselessHilariousAustrianpinscher Toon Link is invincible.

The weather is beautiful and warm down here.
I have a green Link hat I made one time. It's just some rich dark green material arranged into the iconic point and sewn over a beanie. I've grown out of the rest of the get-up, but I'll still wear the hat occasionally.

What the hell, your coat caught on fire? That's craziness. That could have turned out really really bad. Sounds like you got lucky.

People do look at the non-stickied threads though. I don't think that will be an issue. It's either they'll look at the threads that have been made or they won't look at them at all. There doesn't seem to be much of a distinction between the importance of threads depending on how high up they are with these people. The main reason why you'd want to sticky a thread is because you want it to stay on top for the ones who do read threads, not because you want the non-readers to read it, if you know what I mean.

I have a few options I could try in order to get a post in the Q/A thread. I could change the owner of the second post with the permission of the person who has it currently, or I could find a post of my own that isn't needed from some other thread so long as it was written before the Q/A thread and I could merge/move the post into the Q/A thread and have it be displayed chronologically which would bump everyone else down one space (theoretically I think). Actually, the latter could be fun. I could experiment with it and see if I can move one of my first posts into it XD, that way it will seem as if the thread was written back in 2008 when this board didn't even exist. I could then claim to be a time-travelling fox wizard, which admittedly wouldn't be too far away from the truth. Two out of three isn't that bad.
What's it like this time of year there, anyway? Like, besides warm and stuff. I figure it's probably different in different parts of Australia, but yeah.
Link hats are the best. If I ever throw a gaming-related party I'll make cheapo Link hats and use them as party hats.
Yeah, I was surprised I didn't end up getting burned from the coat having caught on fire, good thing it was pretty thick. The only things that ended up damaged were the coat and the glass on the pellet stove, so I'd say it was pretty lucky considering it could've gone a lot worse. Fortunately I didn't really need the coat as much anymore anyway since the heat was working.
I like the time-travelling wizard idea. LOL

I just looked outside and saw birds.
BIRDS. IN JANUARY.
So yeah, I guess it's warm here as well.

But yeah, I personally didn't look at unstickied threads very much, but the fact that the Brawl forums were dead long before I joined was a huge factor in my browsing behavior as well.
I completely forgot that a lot of places don't have birds this time of year. We have tons of birds here all year, and I just saw ducks the other day. Also, to be fair, as much as I hate to say it, the Smash 4 TL board is already pretty dead.
:170: :172:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
@Unkown Hero: Hey is that avatar the picture you drew btw? Because it's pretty good man.
Edit: also, I just checked the thread I linked you to and saw your posts. Good job buddy. You actually found something that had been missed after all this time. I'm genuinely impressed.
Yeah it is. Thanks for noticing, here is a bigger version if you want to see it.
image.jpg

also, thanks again. It feels awesome to have discovered something in smash bros, but I wish my name was there some where so people could see that I discovered it. Oh well

Last edited:

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
Good day everyone! I'm Lewis and I have been shadowing around this thread for a while and wanted to introduce myself. (and by the looks of it this is the format that people use to do so: )

Username: TDF_Lewis
Main: Toon Link:4tlink:/ Robin :4robinm:
Secondaries: Lucina :4lucina: Link :4link:, Lucario :4lucario:
Favorite Toon Link costume: Good ol' default green
Likes: Most things Nintendo (especially Zelda and Fire Emblem), Programming and Collecting Amiibo figurines
Dislikes, Lag in For Glory games
Other facts: I managed to preorder the Majora's Mask Special edition 3DS!

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This is the most amazing gif I've seen in a while, if not the most amazing gif I've ever seen. https://gfycat.com/DefenselessHilariousAustrianpinscher Toon Link is invincible.

What's it like this time of year there, anyway? Like, besides warm and stuff. I figure it's probably different in different parts of Australia, but yeah.
Link hats are the best. If I ever throw a gaming-related party I'll make cheapo Link hats and use them as party hats.
Yeah, I was surprised I didn't end up getting burned from the coat having caught on fire, good thing it was pretty thick. The only things that ended up damaged were the coat and the glass on the pellet stove, so I'd say it was pretty lucky considering it could've gone a lot worse. Fortunately I didn't really need the coat as much anymore anyway since the heat was working.
I like the time-travelling wizard idea. LOL

I completely forgot that a lot of places don't have birds this time of year. We have tons of birds here all year, and I just saw ducks the other day. Also, to be fair, as much as I hate to say it, the Smash 4 TL board is already pretty dead.
Wow, that gif is priceless.

Well @ PKBeam PKBeam will tell you that it's super hot and muggy, but I'm up in the mountains where the weather tends to be more stable. Also, I live super close to this place http://infobluemountains.net.au/weather/best.htm (right at the bottom you'll see winmalee get a mention.)
So what's the weather like? Fantastic all the time.

@ The Merc The Merc : That's a great picture dude. Does it have a background story? Like, why is Link in that cool robe, and holding a book etc?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
...what... i have my AC on all the time so I don't feel hot but outside the air is warm, not boiling, but you might get a bit sweaty if you sit in it for half an hour.
R]: That's a great picture dude. Does it have a background story? Like, why is Link in that cool robe, and holding a book etc?
I think that's an artist's impression of Link and Robin fusing together.
What's his name? Lobin? Robink?

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
Finally started getting back into Smash, both 3DS and Wii U. Took me a little while to get my feet back under me, but started doing better and winning some For Glory matches. Even when I lost, I felt like I could have one, it was just my own mistakes that cost me. Frustrating, but at least I can learn.

I got BODIED by two different Ike's though. I was honestly kidna shocked. I don't play Ikes all that often but when I do, I don't have too much of a problem.

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
I got BODIED by two different Ike's though. I was honestly kidna shocked. I don't play Ikes all that often but when I do, I don't have too much of a problem.
I remember playing Brawl competitively and coming up against an Ike that was able to KO my Toon Link in 3 hits, it was the most frustrating thing..

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
@ The Merc The Merc : That's a great picture dude. Does it have a background story? Like, why is Link in that cool robe, and holding a book etc?
...what... i have my AC on all the time so I don't feel hot but outside the air is warm, not boiling, but you might get a bit sweaty if you sit in it for half an hour.

I think that's an artist's impression of Link and Robin fusing together.
What's his name? Lobin? Robink?
Oh I see. Yeah that makes sense. I'm going with Roink.
Nope. None of them. It is me ( more specifically my own Avatar from awakening) dressed up in Robin's robes and has Link's Green hat and colour. This is my own version of one that was done for me by @Pikachewy99
Here is his version
image.jpg

D

Deleted member

For those of you who've been following this Pokken thing, what do you think of it so far?

Personally I wasn't paying any attention to it at first, but after hearing that Suicune is going to be playable I'm a lot more interested. I've never really given any fighting games besides Smash much of a chance, so it seems like it would be interesting to try out at least. I just hope it's balanced, and it would also be nice if Chinchou and Pichu were playable even if they both have about zero chance lol.

Nope, still unknown hero Foxy :).
Can I call you Roink anyway?

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
For those of you who've been following this Pokken thing, what do you think of it so far?

Personally I wasn't paying any attention to it at first, but after hearing that Suicune is going to be playable I'm a lot more interested. I've never really given any fighting games besides Smash much of a chance, so it seems like it would be interesting to try out at least. I just hope it's balanced, and it would also be nice if Chinchou and Pichu were playable even if they both have about zero chance lol.

It looks pretty good thus far. I've played other fighting games than Smash, but not competitively. Pokken looks pretty cool thus far, though. I wonder if Nintendo is going to bring it to Apex? Maybe that's the surprise game that D1 / Hbox may or may not have teased.

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
It looks pretty good thus far. I've played other fighting games than Smash, but not competitively. Pokken looks pretty cool thus far, though. I wonder if Nintendo is going to bring it to Apex? Maybe that's the surprise game that D1 / Hbox may or may not have teased.
I'd like for that to happen because at the moment I'm skeptical but willing to rethink my opinions, because it does look like a very pretty and nicely paced game.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh hell yes, I had forgotten about that pokemon fighting game thing. So hyped. But you know what would be even better? A pokemon RPG where all the fights are like this new game, kind of like Tales of Symphonia. (Anyone else ever played that game?)

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

I'm not as hyped as I was with Smash, but it looks awesome. Gonna give it a try.

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
Oh hell yes, I had forgotten about that pokemon fighting game thing. So hyped. But you know what would be even better? A pokemon RPG where all the fights are like this new game, kind of like Tales of Symphonia. (Anyone else ever played that game?)
I haven't played it but I have watched videos and it would fit Pokémon perfectly it would be such a good idea.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I just want a pokemon that requires less grind for competitive play!

So I've been messing around with some other characters and have found that Dedede is super duper fun. Nair>utilt all day.
Does anyone else have a character that they like to mess with besides Toon Link?

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356

So I've been messing around with some other characters and have found that Dedede is super duper fun. Nair>utilt all day.
Does anyone else have a character that they like to mess with besides Toon Link?
There's my co-main, Ness, but as far as just messing around, I like to dabble with Shulk and Lucina.

I really want to get good with Shulk. I WANT TO REALLY FEEL IT.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

My signature says it all. Though Ness is honestly my best while Ganon is for fun (though I am pretty good with him).

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Ness and Toon Link, I found some cool art with lucas included.
Thought some of you would like it!

D

Deleted member

So I got 4th out of something like 15 at a tourney yesterday. Not the most impressive stuff, but it's the best I've done at a tourney in a while lol. Was pretty nice getting to rep TL and stuff. Jash apparently got 4th at another tourney yesterday, too, so pretty awesome stuff with TLs placing lately and stuff. TL da bess, guys.

I don't know, the name reminds me of Robitnik, and I really don't don't like hime (in a good way).

Though, I guess if you want to you can, just one question, is it Robink or Roink?
How about Dr. Robotnik Robink Roink? Nah but I like Roink better.

I like messing around with pikminless Olimar. I've been messing around with Pikachu a little bit, too, but mainly because he's my Brawl main and my friends keep bugging me to use him again. He's super fun on Lylat and sorta fun on Yoshi's (which is kinda funny considering those were his two worst stages in Brawl, and were complete absolute garbage for him), but other than that I like playing as TL much more.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
So I got 4th out of something like 15 at a tourney yesterday. Not the most impressive stuff, but it's the best I've done at a tourney in a while lol. Was pretty nice getting to rep TL and stuff. Jash apparently got 4th at another tourney yesterday, too, so pretty awesome stuff with TLs placing lately and stuff. TL da bess, guys.
At least you have tournaments you can go to. There aren't any I can find in my area. But nice job at the tournament.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I keep forgetting that Jash exists
Oh my gosh. This is literally the first time I've watched his Smash 4 Toon. Oh my god, his baits. His footsies.
And I thought I knew my moveset well. T-T

Wow, he does bomb throw OoS. I should actually start doing that.
Oh darn. Jerm plays Shulk.

Last edited:

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I keep forgetting that Jash exists
Oh my gosh. This is literally the first time I've watched his Smash 4 Toon. Oh my god, his baits. His footsies.
And I thought I knew my moveset well. T-T

Wow, he does bomb throw OoS. I should actually start doing that.
Oh darn. Jerm plays Shulk.
You have a link (heh) to that video? I'm trying to watch all the high level Smash 4 Toon play I can.

I got destroyed mentally, physically, and emotionally last night on For Glory. Only won like 40% of my matches, and most of those were with Ness. Got to be honest, it made me consider dropping Toon Link. Nothing I tried on anybody worked. I couldn't approach, I got out zoned, etc. The most frustrating thing is I put in the correct button inputs for each situation but it was always a split second too late or the other move out prioritized me.

I'm not going to abandon TL as I put way to much time into him and know how he works better than any other character, but it would be nice to see some actual signs of progress instead of regression.

D

Deleted member

You have a link (heh) to that video? I'm trying to watch all the high level Smash 4 Toon play I can.

I got destroyed mentally, physically, and emotionally last night on For Glory. Only won like 40% of my matches, and most of those were with Ness. Got to be honest, it made me consider dropping Toon Link. Nothing I tried on anybody worked. I couldn't approach, I got out zoned, etc. The most frustrating thing is I put in the correct button inputs for each situation but it was always a split second too late or the other move out prioritized me.

I'm not going to abandon TL as I put way to much time into him and know how he works better than any other character, but it would be nice to see some actual signs of progress instead of regression.
It's probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_AZ-Cgnifc There are some good videos that have been posted recently in the video thread, too. There's also this, which I don't think was ever posted in the video thread, but is from the match-up thread (I've been trying to add more videos there, so if you want to see more videos of good TLs then check back there every once in a while): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62EtoZbZjY

For glory is pretty bad, so don't worry about it. It has so many things wrong with it that make it completely uncompetitive, like omega stages only, 2 stocks and 4 minutes (or was it 5? Pretty bad either way) with sudden death actually mattering, the horrible lag (Seriously, is it just me or do 1v1 for glory matches tend to have worse lag than for fun FFAs? lool), and I could go on. It can give you some pretty bad habits too since a lot of the people who play for glory either don't know how to punish mistakes, or the lag is too bad for them to be able to punish mistakes. I find it really easy to tell someone plays for glory because of this, which is a pretty bad sign. So yeah, don't take for glory too seriously and just keep using who you like.

Also, things haven't regressed at all for TL. Things keep looking up for him, actually. TLs have been placing well in tournies quite a bit lately. Zan and Jash place well very regularly and both did so again over the weekend, Manzoku (at least I think that's the name, could be wrong though) got somewhere in top 10 at a major tourney in Japan that had a ****load of people not too long ago, and other TLs have been getting good placements at smaller tournies. Considering how underused TL is, I'd say that's a very good sign.

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
It's probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_AZ-Cgnifc There are some good videos that have been posted recently in the video thread, too. There's also this, which I don't think was ever posted in the video thread, but is from the match-up thread (I've been trying to add more videos there, so if you want to see more videos of good TLs then check back there every once in a while): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62EtoZbZjY

For glory is pretty bad, so don't worry about it. It has so many things wrong with it that make it completely uncompetitive, like omega stages only, 2 stocks and 4 minutes (or was it 5? Pretty bad either way) with sudden death actually mattering, the horrible lag (Seriously, is it just me or do 1v1 for glory matches tend to have worse lag than for fun FFAs? lool), and I could go on. It can give you some pretty bad habits too since a lot of the people who play for glory either don't know how to punish mistakes, or the lag is too bad for them to be able to punish mistakes. I find it really easy to tell someone plays for glory because of this, which is a pretty bad sign. So yeah, don't take for glory too seriously and just keep using who you like.

Also, things haven't regressed at all for TL. Things keep looking up for him, actually. TLs have been placing well in tournies quite a bit lately. Zan and Jash place well very regularly and both did so again over the weekend, Manzoku (at least I think that's the name, could be wrong though) got somewhere in top 10 at a major tourney in Japan that had a ****load of people not too long ago, and other TLs have been getting good placements at smaller tournies. Considering how underused TL is, I'd say that's a very good sign.
Well that's encouraging. Is there a better way to play people online than For Glory? Where you can pick different stages? I've heard of some kind of ladder match or something.

I'll be sure to check those videos out.

Edit: HO. LY. CRAP. This Jash dude is amazing! I don't feel like abandoning Toon Link anymore...

Last edited:

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
Well that's encouraging. Is there a better way to play people online than For Glory? Where you can pick different stages? I've heard of some kind of ladder match or something.

I'll be sure to check those videos out.
That´s Anther´s Ladder. It´s pretty cool, but you need to play 3 stock ( I don´t like this part cuz it takes more time than FG ).

The best part is that you can chat with ya foe :)

CURRY

Smash Journeyman

lol, the one I watched was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUl1hQytm9k&&ab_channel=TeamSpooky
It was literally the only one that showed up in my YouTube results, so thanks for the Jash video, Artmis! Definitely will watch when I have time.
Jash is at the end of the video, but the other matches are still VERY fun to watch.
I personally thought it was worth watching the whole thing.

lolll I should look at our video thread more.

Last edited:

Dr[?}

Smash Cadet
It's probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_AZ-Cgnifc There are some good videos that have been posted recently in the video thread, too.
Can someone please explain to me how he does a bombfakeout and then throws the bomb again before landing? (and manages to catch it) It's around the 22:18 mark. I'm trying to do this in training mode, and I have been successful a few times, but don't know how the heck I'm pulling it off so I can't do it consistently lol.

Last edited:

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
I watched this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlj7ID-Z8A (just the Jash´s part) ... and LOL, this was the most boring match I have seen ever. The Lucario did nothing but shield and aura sphere (well the lucario player seems to have really good reflexes with powershield :p).

-------

btw, I wanna know if there is something like smash ladder, but for pokemon games (poke ladder, LOL)

Top Bottom