• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

PoptartLord

Smash Cadet
So it's not just me then. I suppose they could think I'm being disrespectful.... Charizard must have a worse reputation than I thought. Winning a major tournament or two should fix that. Somebody should get on that already!

Speaking of "or try to use some character they clearly don't know how to play", that happens all the time with Robin. Most of the time it's to Game&Watch, Ness, or Villager and they spend the game throwing out absorb/reflect moves. <sarcasm>Because that's all it takes to shut Robin down</sarcasm>.

Although there are a couple of disrespectful things I've done as part of the standard game plan. I'm very very guilty of Flamethrower -> deny ledge grab -> down smash -> stock. And the occasional Flare Blitz punish. And using the armored frames of Fly to power through an attack for the kill. But that's just standard Charizard stuff, and most kills are from tilts/smashes/aerials/edgeguarding like with every other character in the game. It's not like I'm spamming Warlock Punch all match or something.

-PoptartLord

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Can you get out of Charizards upB if you hold down? I did it a few times in some friendlies but not really sure how i did it

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Can you get out of Charizards upB if you hold down? I did it a few times in some friendlies but not really sure how i did it
It's possible to fall out of it but holding down is not a consistent way to do it.

Depends on the situation and how it hit you.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
It's possible to fall out of it but holding down is not a consistent way to do it.

Depends on the situation and how it hit you.
Is there any way you can elaborate more? Like options for different situations and what's the best way to get out of it when possible, thanks for the quick response btw

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Is there any way you can elaborate more? Like options for different situations and what's the best way to get out of it when possible, thanks for the quick response btw
I don't have any consistent answer for something like this, but I have had people fall out of it and people tell me holding down helped at points.

I think when in front and below Zard this works or hit in the center/behind him.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
How do you guys feel about ANTi pulling out Charizard in the Big House 6 Grand Finals?

I was so hyped when he made the switch, but I got really disappointed when he lost that round and decided to switch back to Mario. If he had taken at least one round with Zard, I would of been satisfied, but he got me all excited for nothing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How do you guys feel about ANTi pulling out Charizard in the Big House 6 Grand Finals?

I was so hyped when he made the switch, but I got really disappointed when he lost that round and decided to switch back to Mario. If he had taken at least one round with Zard, I would of been satisfied, but he got me all excited for nothing.
It was exciting, but at the same time, disappointing.

I feel like Zard could have done more there.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I actually find myself creaming a lot of with my zard online (though I do need to practice spot-dodging, there are many a time when a spot-dodge would've let me avoid punishment from a down smash) here's a few things that i've found.

1. Zard's dair is absolutely nasty, at higher percentages and with the right timing you can easily punish an upb recovery with a meteor.
  2. I once found an unusual combo for a kill (if your opponent is terrible at tech-rolling or recovery) when you're opponent is trying to recover get a bit underneath them then upb (causes them to go a bit above the edge of a stage like FD), edge grab and attack (this is a 'heads I win tails you lose' situation for your opponent if they tech they'll get hit anyways because charizard's edge attack is FAST, if they don't it doesn't matter because the attack can hit grounded opponents) end the combo with flare blitz. Depending on damage your opponent will either be recovering from the edge again or be taken down outright. I've done this with link and ganondorf, not sure how this will work with the rest of the cast.
  3. That flamethrower is annoying to other characters, they can't approach charizard when he whips it out and it cancels out several other kinds of projectiles. Makes me wonder why I don't use it more often due to it's utility.
Anyways just me gushing heh.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

It was exciting, but at the same time, disappointing.

I feel like Zard could have done more there.
He dropped it entirely his second stock with constant mistakes either with decisions or technical mistakes.

Still it was hype to see.

Last edited:

Lady_Cinder

Smash Rookie
Heya, Charizard peeps. Kind of a lurker but decided to make an account. I'm a Zard player, but I don't go to much. Thought I'd introduce myself. Not much activity on this board. Makes some sense, seeing as our character is underplayed and relies mostly on fundamentals.

I kinda play some other games like BlazBlue, but mostly it's single player games for me. Not sue how much I'll post but hey! We exist, I promise.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've been getting really thirsty for shield breaks lately. When I see someone's shield is low, I toss out a random Flare Blitz to trip them up. Sometimes I do this when I realize it'll take two, and they usually figure out what's going on and just hop over the second one. I better get more sneaky about it.

I wish I had the skill to be stylish when I get one. All I can really do is Zard Walk -> charged F-smash near the ledge. It can kill at stupid early percents, but I feel like there's something fancier I can do than just an F-smash.

And hey there, Lady_Cinder! Sorry it took so long to welcome you here. I only check in on these boards on occasion, which is something I probably ought to get better about.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I used flare blitz for shield breaks because players are conditioned to shield it then punish.

I also do it with bair since I have gotten a few good shield breaks with that move.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
i need to use Ftilt more. Anyone have examples of good usage of it?
It's not something you'd want to fish for or anything, but it's important to know the spacing of instinctively so you can recognize when to use it. I use a pivoted f-tilt sometimes when I'm being chased.

As a defensive spacing tool, though, d-tilt is usually better. So try not to get to f-tilt happy, only when you know you'll land the sweetspot or there's no better options.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I use d-tilt more than f-tilt and often end up catching my enemies where f-tilt will have missed but I have gotten a surprise kill off of a f-tilt sweetspot hit. I find zard's tilts while not spammable to be excellent single use hits that can help either make an opponent back off or rack up a little damage when needed, the only problem is d-tilt moves zard's head forward, the hitbox is also the hurt box so if zard is attacked while d-tilting....let's just say I've gotten KOed when I've d-tilted into a forward smash more times than i'd like to admit....

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
i need to use Ftilt more. Anyone have examples of good usage of it?
There's one technique I use that repeatedly gets good results.

1. Get hit off stage
  2. Recover above the stage with Flare Blitz
  3. Opponent will run after you
  4. Right as you land, F-Tilt. People fall for this more than they should as they think the landing lag will be more than it is.
  5. What's nice is that usually, they'll run into the sweetspot.

It has counters, but it's pretty nice to know and can get you stage control is some situations.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yesterday I noticed I got the hang of using it more, I killed R.O.B. at 90% with a Tippered Ftilt at the ledge which was sick.

I also got 4th at that local so pretty good improvement overall.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Nothing makes me more nervous then fighting a half-decent Cloud main. One small mess up with Mewtwo, and it can all be over in a second. I almost think Charizard might have a better match up. Sure, his huge hurtbox makes him easy to juggle and frametrap, but at least he can kind of juggle Cloud as well and then cheese him. Zard's F-throw, B-throw, Flamethrower, D-Smash and F-Smash are all great for that.

I guess Mewtwo would theoretically still be better if you played perfectly, but I don't play perfectly at all.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nothing makes me more nervous then fighting a half-decent Cloud main. One small mess up with Mewtwo, and it can all be over in a second. I almost think Charizard might have a better match up. Sure, his huge hurtbox makes him easy to juggle and frametrap, but at least he can kind of juggle Cloud as well and then cheese him. Zard's F-throw, B-throw, Flamethrower, D-Smash and F-Smash are all great for that.

I guess Mewtwo would theoretically still be better if you played perfectly, but I don't play perfectly at all.
You get more wiggle room to mess up as Zard vs Mewtwo in that match-up. Overall, I would say Charizard I think might do better in that match-up considering everything between both characters vs Cloud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom