• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Me and some random guy just redefined the meta.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Man I keep forgetting to save replays for this lol.

Sometime I will, kinda curious to see how I operate differently from the other zards.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I should really upload more videos of me playing Charizard online.

Playing competitively on the 3DS is harder than I thought it would be.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hello, I'm back. Took a little bit of a break to refresh myself and take care of some real life related stuff (job hunting more or less). Time to get back to work.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Looks like I'm back on the staff! :)

I'll do my best to keep this place organized and promote productive discussion however I can. if any of you guys have questions or suggestions on how to improve this character board just let me know!

Long live the Zard. :006: :006: :006:

Last edited:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
HELLO EVERYONE

looks like i might play this character

if i can get over how nerfed his grab range is from brawl T_T
Yeah, I was pretty annoyed that his grab range was nerfed, there was no need to nerf it.
At least his out of shield grab is still decent, it sometimes grabs opponents without touching them.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Ayame is a Japanese Pikachu main who I find really impressive. But I found a video of her practicing Charizard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOkc5KHCPc

This was more amusing, than anything. Especially the first match against Ganondorf, I found her commentary humorous.
Was that an autocancel on the Nair at around 50 seconds? That seemed too fast to just be fast falling at the end of the animation.

Also, good to see you outside the megathreads, I learned about Gdub bucket cancelling from you on FEP years ago.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Was that an autocancel on the Nair at around 50 seconds? That seemed too fast to just be fast falling at the end of the animation.
Pretty sure the video just skipped a bit. Same thing happens at around 3:13.

Thanks for sharing A2! That Zard play was pretty solid.

I particularly love the segment at 4:40. THAT is how you deal with projectile spamming in this game. Good blocking and patience is the key. I need to remember this.

Last edited:

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah, I was pretty annoyed that his grab range was nerfed, there was no need to nerf it.
At least his out of shield grab is still decent, it sometimes grabs opponents without touching them.
heh yeah

i find a lot of brawl zard stuff transfers over pretty well to this iteration... i found him to be pretty natural to pick up, and flare blitz is a neat tool.

i just whiff a lot of grabs because his brawl grab range is so ingrained in my mind, so it's really frustrating x.x

i also flare blitz accidentally trying to rock smash, but that'll go away soon enough haha

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Also, good to see you outside the megathreads, I learned about Gdub bucket cancelling from you on FEP years ago.
I actually...don't know what the hell that is. But the video clearly did not skip randomly. Ganondorf's movement was normal, and so was the progression of the timer and music.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
heh yeah

i find a lot of brawl zard stuff transfers over pretty well to this iteration... i found him to be pretty natural to pick up, and flare blitz is a neat tool.

i just whiff a lot of grabs because his brawl grab range is so ingrained in my mind, so it's really frustrating x.x

i also flare blitz accidentally trying to rock smash, but that'll go away soon enough haha
Yeah I do that a lot, accidentally rock smashing sometimes gets me killed when I try to recover. I blame the 3DS circle pad though.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
So, I stage spiked a ZSS with an up throw. Brinstar Omega.

I was probably at the very edge of the stage, facing AWAY from the ledge, the up throw seemed to knock her against the stage and downward. She was NOT doing a move beforehand that was affecting her momentum, unless it was RIGHT before the grab.

Unfortunately, it was a for gory game, and an error message booted us from the game, so I couldn't download a replay. However, along with that person that did it before, we have evidence of some MUT (moderately useful technique) involving seismic toss on the ledge.
Actually, I think I know how to explain it now that I think about it. It's probably online latency.
That was a live video, right? I've never seen latency work like that. i want to believe

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
So, I stage spiked a ZSS with an up throw. Brinstar Omega.

I was probably at the very edge of the stage, facing AWAY from the ledge, the up throw seemed to knock her against the stage and downward. She was NOT doing a move beforehand that was affecting her momentum, unless it was RIGHT before the grab.

Unfortunately, it was a for gory game, and an error message booted us from the game, so I couldn't download a replay. However, along with that person that did it before, we have evidence of some MUT (moderately useful technique) involving seismic toss on the ledge.
Hmmm interesting, that was me that did it before btw.
It'd be cool if someone could actually figure out the exact mechanics to this tech.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well at the very least I'll have your Skype so we can play more often ^,^

edit: trying to add you to the group but it keeps saying "user can't be added until they accept your contact request."

Last edited:

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Oh look, one of these exist for Charizard. Neat.
It's unlikely that I'll join the Skype group, since I have clan responsibilities and such and I wouldn't be able to actually be on a lot anyway. A real shame.

Regardless, hi there. I find it hilarious that, despite my disdain for the main series Pokemon games, half my mains are/will be Pokemon (Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo). Says the guy who also has Nidoking for an avatar.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So I have played smash for 6 years and I consider myself a pretty good player, not a highlevel but a solid player. I've done quite decently in Melee and Brawl tournaments during the years.
However in the new Smash I seem to play like a total scrub. The only people I can beat are Glory mode scrubs and even then it's not even easy. The game can't be that different compared to the older games that all my experience means nothing anymore. Either that or Charizard is a crappy character?

This is just a pointless rant because I'm frustrated so just ignore it.

Please add me on the Skype group, skype is lzzzzr.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
So I have played smash for 6 years and I consider myself a pretty good player, not a highlevel but a solid player. I've done quite decently in Melee and Brawl tournaments during the years.
However in the new Smash I seem to play like a total scrub. The only people I can beat are Glory mode scrubs and even then it's not even easy. The game can't be that different compared to the older games that all my experience means nothing anymore. Either that or Charizard is a crappy character?

This is just a pointless rant because I'm frustrated so just ignore it.

Please add me on the Skype group, skype is lzzzzr.
I've been Smashing since 2000, but I never got interested in ridiculously high-level play. Instead, I tend to keep what I do consistent over the years, so it translates from one Smash to the next pretty well. It feels good living the #ScrubLife.

I didn't use Charizard a lot in Brawl, so it was like playing a brand new character. He was really weird at first (especially after playing with Bowser a few sessions), but I gradually got better with him. The key is to use him in more than just vanilla Smash. Use him in Classic on varying difficulties, Smash Run with various set-ups, Trophy Rush, heck, anything.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I use Charizard for everything. I even have a pretty good Charizard in Brawl. Hopefully it's just something about not having adapted to the changes yet and everything should be fine after that. If not then I don't know what I can do.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So I was trying to Dtilt a singing Puff. I mistimed it so I got hit, interrupting Dtilt. During the falling asleep animation Zard was sliding all the way to ledge. New Meta!

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
So I was trying to Dtilt a singing Puff. I mistimed it so I got hit, interrupting Dtilt. During the falling asleep animation Zard was sliding all the way to ledge. New Meta!
In teams the charizard cannon will be an effective sleeper strategy.

Top Bottom